Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, Coping With Leak/abscess

I agree with cowgirl Jane, please focus in knowing you are getting help and while you are going through a really difficult time, you have folks praying for you and you have support in this forum.

It will get better...when I had my lowest moment, alone in the ER with my abscess at 2am, I released to God, and he was there to comfort me. After my emergency surgery for the abscess (It followed the drain line down), I began to heal properly and have not looked back (except I have a smiley scar across my tummy now).

Best to you,

Sandy

Longer Life, I will be praying for you too. I hope you continue to improve and recover. I'm curious who you doctor is too. Let us know how you're doing.

Thank you all that replied .... for the support, for the prayers, for the concern.

My mom died in 2008, my father in 2009, so the only way that this "dream" was possible for me was receiving some life insurance money to pay for this. After my parents deaths, at the way that my siblings acted, I no longer have family. I DO have one wonderful husband and a gorgeous son. Thank God this experience has proven that I am blessed with them, again and again.

I do feel better today. Sorry my post was originally written whenever I was feeling a bit down. This surgery was supposed to be a 3 day experience. IDK how I'm going to pay the hospital and dr's bills, but it will all work out I guess. Funny how God does that ..... isn't it?

My dr. was Dr. Harry Meyers and I honestly think he is a great dr. He's had one other leak, back in 2009, but nothing to this extent. I just think I was the 1 out of 100 odd cases that occur. (I swear "murphy's law" sometimes rules my life, lol)

Thank you all again for your support. I go to the dr. this afternoon and I'm hoping that he sees progress is going well.

I am so sorry for all your issues, my prayers are with you as you recover and start enjoying the benefits of your surgery. Keep us posted.

It's okay to post when ur down..

That's why this support group exists!!! I know I'm not 'on' and positive all the time!! But, that's okay... one day at a time!!

Sorry about your parents' transition and your siblings.... I'm glad you have ur 2 guys supporting you!! I'm praying that each day get better for you!!!

I will be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery. Your story should make those of us with no complications even more grateful. I certainly feel blessed. Hopefully one day this will be worth it for you.

Sending healing thoughts your way. I sure hope they get you on the road to recovery quickly and you come back to feeling 100% very soon.

Dear 4alongerlife, I'm so glad you have

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Longer life, I've wondered about you. Thanks for posting an update on your progress. I will keep you on my prayers for continued speedy recovery. Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hey there! just wanted to let you know that I went to church yesterday and the pastor asked the congregation for prayer requests... I asked that by His stripes, YOU are healed! I didnt have your name - I just used 'sleeve' :lol: but fortuantely, I know that God knows who I was talking about!

Like the PP said -keep us abreast of how you are faring. You may not have a physical family (outside of your immediate family) - but there's a really big virtual family right here that's got your back!

Take care and keep your head up - prayers work.. really they do!

Thanks all for the prayers (for certain) and for the healing, positive thoughts. I went to my dr. yesterday and he took my PICC line out of my arm (the line that went into my arterial vein/in my heart) and my JP drain in my belly. I STILL have the accordian/piggyback drain in my diaphragmn but he wants to watch that for one more week to see if I'm having anything come out of it. So far, it's nothing and has been for the last 2 days (which my first thought is yeah! that means the abscess is clear? idk but i'm hoping). I'm on Clear liquids still this week and need to increase my Protein in my Clear Liquids. If you have tips on this, please let me know.

First, omg those Protein bullets are NASTY. My dr. said try to do 2 a day. I can usually suffer through one in the early morning whenever my tummy's making all kinds of sounds, but I tried an acai berry bullet last night (from Vitamin Shoppe) and I was SICK ... I did one ounce from it and thought I was gonna hurl.

This morning I took some Vitamin Water zero and mixed it with my procel powder (a Protein Powder my dr. gave me that he liked). It's only 5 g protein a scoop, which I mixed in 14 oz. liquid, but I'm trying to think how else to get more protein into my clear fluids.... as well as get more clear fluids into me. Dr. said 4 oz an hour, but I have to be diligent or I lose time and can't make it up. (I'm trying not to be dehydrated.)

But that's my update............ and truly, I thank you all for all of your support and positivity. Truly, thank you!

Thanks all for the prayers (for certain) and for the healing, positive thoughts. I went to my dr. yesterday and he took my PICC line out of my arm (the line that went into my arterial vein/in my heart) and my JP drain in my belly. I STILL have the accordian/piggyback drain in my diaphragmn but he wants to watch that for one more week to see if I'm having anything come out of it. So far, it's nothing and has been for the last 2 days (which my first thought is yeah! that means the abscess is clear? idk but i'm hoping). I'm on clear liquids still this week and need to increase my Protein in my clear liquids. If you have tips on this, please let me know.

First, omg those Protein bullets are NASTY. My dr. said try to do 2 a day. I can usually suffer through one in the early morning whenever my tummy's making all kinds of sounds, but I tried an acai berry bullet last night (from Vitamin Shoppe) and I was SICK ... I did one ounce from it and thought I was gonna hurl.

This morning I took some Vitamin Water zero and mixed it with my procel powder (a Protein Powder my dr. gave me that he liked). It's only 5 g protein a scoop, which I mixed in 14 oz. liquid, but I'm trying to think how else to get more protein into my clear fluids.... as well as get more clear fluids into me. Dr. said 4 oz an hour, but I have to be diligent or I lose time and can't make it up. (I'm trying not to be dehydrated.)

But that's my update............ and truly, I thank you all for all of your support and positivity. Truly, thank you!

Try the Isopure Protein drinks. They're not the best tasting but they were the only protein I could tolerate after surgery. A 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of protein and they count toward your 64 oz of fluids. So 2 bottles a day nets you 80 gms protein & 40 oz Fluid. Vitamin Shoppe carries them. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Thank you NiseeG! Are they clear liquids? I am not advanced to full liquids (i.e. milk yet). So if these are clear and ok to swallow then woo hoo, prayers answered. Those Protein bullets are 42g to 50+ depending on the type you buy and I was doing what I could so I wouldn't lose my hair but omg last night I couldn't do two a day (they are so syrupy and thick tasting to me). And now choking down vit Water with protein powder... ugh. C'mon milk stage! lol... ty for the tip! I have to end this note with... thank God though that I'm better than I was and thank you for your help, concern, support and prayers!

Wow! I'm SO sorry for you. Of course, I have no suggestions as to a medical solution, but I do know this: Stress makes all illnesses worse. My advice is to take one day at a time. Stop worrying about the insurance and costs, stop second guessing your decisions, and stop living in any moment but the current one. The majority of people in the world are worrying about money all the time, and somehow, things always turn out ok. The money will be what it is. Money worries should never mean decisions that are made at the expense of your health. I know this sounds simplistic. A few years ago I had to shave $85K a year off my budget, and I thought it would kill me. In retrospect, all that worry didn't change a thing, and we have adjusted and gone on. Hang in there. I'll pray for your quick recovery!

I had the gastric sleeve surgery on 03/05/12. On my pre-admissions form for the VSG, there was a question about anesthesia - whenever I had my son in 2004 I had to have more than the norm as my body didn't 'go to sleep' equally on the left and the right. Based on this response, the anesthesiologists gave me more than usual for the VSG. After the VSG surgery I was passed out, very lethargic, slept alot. I would try to do my IS (breathing exercises) and couldn't barely do them. Then I'd pass out to sleep again. I had a slight temp in the hospital so they kept me an extra day. I was d/c'd 3/7/12.

On 3/9/12, I went back to the hospital. I was spiking a temp and my pulse was rising. Slowly, I couldn't do my I.S. (breathing exercises) as well as I had been doing them. I went back to the ER and they admitted me for aspiration pneumonia. I stayed in the hospital 6 days, on I.V. antibiotics. I was d/c'd 3/14/12, taking levaquin by mouth. I followed my diet, did my breathing exercises, moved as much as I could .... but my temp would spike now and again. I went to the ER that weekend twice, as my temp at home would be 101-102, but once I got to the ER it went to 99 or normal. The ER said that getting out in the 'nite air' sometimes does that (no idea why but ok). Then that Sunday, 3/19/12, about 330 in the morning, I could no longer sleep in the bed. I felt short of breath (very shallow breathing, couldn't inhale deeply) and I had a pain in my left shoulder and mid back. I tried to wait until the dr's office opened at 9 that Monday morning, however by 845 I couldn't take it anymore, the pain was excruciating. They told me to go back to the ER. I did and they did xrays and cat scans, I had a leak in my stomach and an abscess in my diaphragm.

So hospital readmission 3/19 to 3/29. They wanted to rush me to revision surgery that night. I went into a slight shock I think, teeth chattering, scared, wishing I had never done this..... but the electricity kept kicking in and out all day at the hospital (first someone hit a pole and caused the electricity issues that day, but that night severe storms developed and the lights flickered quite a few times). My dr. said let's not take any further chances, we'll do your revision first thing in the morning. I had revision surgery 3/20, early. The dr. found the leak and saw where part of my stomach line was necroting so he cleaned that all out, restitched and reglued the line and cleaned out as much as he could. Then they did XRays to see how it looked, more barium swallows and then a cat scan .... they wanted to see the abscess and if I had any other leaks, which I do, now in a different part of my tummy. The radiologist placed what is called a piggyback drain (it looks like a long bag with an "accordian" at the top) into my left flank (right under your bra line/where the diaphragm is located). I have a JP drain in my stomach (it's right above my spleen per the dr.) .

I got worried about the cost of my stay and spoke with my dr. on this as he was thinking that I could go home on home TPN (total proper nutrition - it's a bag of nutrition that they mix up especially for each patient, based on the blood draw, which tells them what you are missing in your system. It's high in amino acids, which encourages quicker healing of leaks). I didn't have this coverage in my stinky insurance plan (I work as a contractor, which means great pay/lousy insurance.... well according to the option I chose). Dr. did an endoscopy on 3/27 to see where any leaks were and how big .... there's still one about the size of a pencil eraser. Social work/case mgmt became involved, trying then to put me in a nursing home (hello, i'm 38 years young) or on home iv antibiotics/tpn. That's where things got really bad - social work consulted me mid walking activity and told me of the nursing home option. Next time I saw them as I was doing laps in the hall, she told me maybe my dr. could do a feeding tube and send me home. Either way, I thought that was inappropriate and it brought me to tears.

My dr. came in and said we can do a dobhoff tube (in your nose) and you can do Protein shakes at home through that OR we can not put a tube in and see how you progress. I have been IV'd so much (each time they gave me vancomyocin, I would swell up and hurt at the IV site and they'd have to move it), they put in a PICC line (iv that goes into your arterial vein/a more 'direct' route). Tired of being a pin cushion and hooked up to so much, I opted for the no tube. But I am worried. The dr. said this will deplete some of your muscle mass, but I was very active in the gym before and used to weight lift so I have more muscle mass than most. But I am worried on healing, worried on paying the dr's bills and trying to figure how I'm going to pay the lessor rate that the hospital has generously given to me (payment plan probably for 36 months).

I started out 254 originally in my dr's office. I am 215 right now. Do I regret the surgery? At this time I do... yes, I do. I am worried and scared and I am praying so much that God has to be pestered by me. But I came here to see what experiences or thoughts perhaps anyone can share..... please no negativity... I can't take it. Thanks for your time reading my long diatribe of a story.

Hey darlin' of course no negativity here. This is not something you can control. You're doing everything you can to get back to health and that's whats most important at this time.

It makes perfect sense that you regret your surgery right now. I did too in my first few days, and for a lot less heart ache. Don't worry about that right now, just rest and get well.

I'm sending you well wishes for a quick healing and many prayers that God will see you through this! Please keep us updated on how you're doing!!!

ETA: I've read through your updates and I'm extremely happy to know you're on the road to wellness!! Just FYI, yes Isopure is a clear liquid. I do advise to get the glass RTD bottles though. They taste a lot better than the powder mixes. Also if the flavor is too strong for you, you can dilute with more Water. I had too!

All the best to you!!