Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Protein Is Required?

Hello :)

So my nut tells me I should be getting in 90 grams of Protein where as my co-workers is telling her 45-60. I am seriously struggling getting all mine in because I am sooo full. I drink 3 shakes a day at 30 grams each and my 64oz Water. I have no room for mushies and I am so sick of the shakes I want to give up. Isopure makes me vomit. Im trying to figure out how to get all this in while my co-worker has only 1 and 1/2 shake a day and is done.

BTW, Im almost 3 weeks out.

So tell me, what is your Protein requirement???

My NUT wants me to get around 45 right now (4 weeks out) and try to work my way up to 60-80 as the swelling in the my stomach goes down and I'm able to eat more without the shakes.< /p>

I'm pretty sure it's a personalized number, so you should try to listen to your NUT. Mine told me to get at least 99g a day, which will be hard. While my paperwork says women will need to eat between 60-110 gr per day, my NUT crossed through the numbers and said I'll need 99-124 grams. I'm 5'9" and 27 years old so I don't know if maybe height & age makes a difference?

Sent from my iPhone

Personally, I never got enough Protein in. I could barely drink 1 Premier Protein shake from costco. But I worked up to it. Your NUT is giving you a # to work towards. Do the best you can and be done with it. It sounds like your doing fine. Isopure drinks are horrible. I do use Isopure powder vanilla to make high protein baked goods though. Have you tried the premier Protein Drinks from costco (kirkland) or Sam's club? :rolleyes:

Have you tried the premier Protein drinks from costco (kirkland) or Sam's club? :rolleyes:

Yes, the premier Proteins are the ones Im drinking now. There the only ones I have found for the high Protein content that I can keep down. At 30 grams of protein in only 11oz, its pretty good. But 3 of them is pretty hard. It takes me time to get it down. I told my nut and she said I really need to try to get in the 90 grams. But I feel jealous that my friend only needs 45 per her nut.

I feel your pain Vampsy. I am 3 weeks out and so sick of Isopure and Protein Shakes. I feel so overwhelmed like on a daily basis.

I used to struggle a lot with getting my Protein in. Now however at 5 months out, I have no problem getting the 70 grams I was told, sometimes I get much more then that. I use Unjury, tried premier, found a chunk in my drink and have forever been turned off. I also found it quite thick and it was too heavy on my stomach. I use skim milk and add chocolate unjury and that gets me 30 g protein and strawberry unjury with a little Water which gives me 20 g. Strawberry doesn't taste amazing but for some reason its one of the only ones thatI can tolerate.

I also use Unjury. I tried a bunch. I do drink one little 11oz Atkins premade mocha type one in the morning (has a hint of caffeine for get up and go) and then the unjury during the day. The strawberry sorbet is good with crystal light lemonaid and is much lighter than a "shake" type drink. Unjury also has unflavored powder that I will add to cream Soups to get a little extra. I am getting in a lot more Protein most days than what I was told (20 grams until eating real food, then 60-80). Hope this helps! I am almost a month out, so pretty close to you :)

I use the Unjury chocolate with the high Protein skim milk "Mootopia" from HEB, if you have the chain in your area. The unjury is 20 g and the mootopia is 12g protein and 6 carbs for 8 oz...so 32g protein for a 8 oz shake. I really LIKE it... been trying to drink this for Breakfast and before bed everyday.

I much prefer the Unjury chocoloate to anything else. It definitely helps me get to my Protein goals each day. As long as I get 60 or more my doctor is ok with it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches