Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Ago Today I Changed The Course Of My Life

Friends-

Today, I Celebrate one of my biggest moments of bravery. I Celebrate agreeing to be wheeled into surgery despite a healthy dose of fear of both complications and the unknown. I had no idea how I'd cope in life without the crutch of food and failure. I wasn't excited about surgery and possibilities. I was simply scared and resolved. Now, I live a life I truly wasn't sure I'd ever get to enjoy. Life is good. So good.

I have been incredibly blessed on this journey. My approval process was relatively painless. It only involved four months of supervised diet. I didn't even have to do a liquid diet leading up to surgery. My only real complication was a very minor infection on one of my incisions. A round of antibiotics and I was fine.

My biggest memories of life following surgery were trying to figure out how to live without food as a focus and exhaustion. I wasn't hungry but still felt a need to eat but couldn't. I worked hard in therapy to be ready for this yet I wasn't. On top of that, I remember being absolutely exhausted until week 5. My other biggest memory is when I lost about 50 lbs. and realized that I no longer hurt. I had been overweight so long that I simply accepted pain as a part of life. To wake up one day and comprehend than general life no longer hurt left me giddy.

Since surgery, I have dropped 112 pounds, 12 inches (literally a foot!) off my waist, and 6 dress sizes (from 24/26 to 12/14). I have found a passion for running that culminated in running a half-marathon in January. I found the confidence to apply for a dream job that came with a crazy raise and got the job! I've found pride in myself and my appearance. I've become more than what I eat and how I look.

I haven't been the most well-behaved sleever. I feel I should share that in the interest of honesty. When I got the crazy, awesome promotion I started making some poor choices. I have yet to gain weight but I am in the world's longest stall due to poor food choices and a lack of focus on diet. I haven't lost a pound since December. I recognize that I haven't lost the last thirty pounds because of my less than ideal food choices but I am okay with this for now. I know that I will soon be ready to lose the last thirty and I will focus and finish what I started. My goal is to be at or under 175 by 18 months. I feel this is very doable. However, I recognize that this is my journey and I will finish it when it is right for me. Right now, I am enjoying the ride and life in general.

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you for your constant support, opinions and advice. I've found this forum and the people it consists of a lifeline on more than one occasion. Bless you all! :)

Of course, a surgiversary post isn't complete without photos!

post-8701-13813658321755_thumb.jpg

post-8701-13813658322004_thumb.jpg

PS- I swear I am not a big drinker... it just happens that pics normally occur when I'm drinking. ;)

Way to go! You look great and keep up the good work.

Awesome, just awesome :D

Amanda~ I loved reading you story and appreciated your honesty. You have had dramatic results and look great!

Wow. Congrats on your hard work. You look amazing!

Great story. You should be very proud of your accomplishments!

Wowwwww! You look really hot! CONGRATS! ;)

That's a great post! Thanks for sharing. I was so ready to make a comment on the drinks until I saw your ps-lol

Congrats on your loss and work and good luck on the rest of your journey!:-)

Congrats on your awesome success!! That was an incredible and inspiring journey! All the best to reach goal! :)

Wow. Congratulations on your success. It does take a big leap of faith to go into the operating room. I had my surgery last week and it's all still fresh in my mind. I'm hoping to get down to around 170-175 as well. :)

You look great. Its stories like yours that gives people like me hope for a happy, healthy future. Thanks for sharing. I love this forum.

Congratulations!! You look fantastic!!