Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm So Fearful Of Surgery / Anasthesia!

As I explained on a prior post I am a registered nurse. I currently work in the pre op holding area of a fairly large hospital. I have worked in the PACU (recovery room) for most of my 35 years in nursing. In all those years I have personally only witnessed 2 deaths in the PACU. Both patients were extremly high risk.

I do suggest that you discuss your fears with your surgeon and attending anesthesia provider if you really feel strongly and have a real fear you will die.

Realistically you stand a higher chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to the hospital than you do of dying following WLS.

I do not mean to sound cold or callous' date=' just want to state the facts.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing this, it is re-assuring. I am not overly worried about but can't say it has not crossed my mind.

I had my surgery on Tuesday and I was terrified of being put under, but it's like everyone said it was quick. I asked my surgeon prior to surgery if he had any deaths during surgery and he has not had any deaths during or shortly after the post op period. So that was comforting to know. Good luck and God bless.

Valid fear and like most have stated just stay positive in all aspects of your life. "WE" have to all go through the many stages of WLS... Put to sleep is just one.

I had alot of fear of anesthesia too - especially after finding out that having sleep apnea increased my risks. What added to that was when I had the band removal, that anesthialogist told me I was "hard to intubate" - it scared me. What helped me was asking alot of questions and getting educated on it. By the day of the surgery, meeting with the new anestheologist really boosted my confidence. Those guys literally keep you breathing during surgery - and things have progressed so much that they don't lose too many people these days! The sleep apnea risk is actually the first 24 hours post op.

When I had gall bladder surgery I cried from the time they put the IV in to the time they had me in the surgery room telling me to count backwards because I was so scared. I was supposed to count backwards from 10 to 1...all I remember is 10...then the nurse waking me up...so I think this time will be easier for me knowing what happens. What u are going thru is natural. But everything WILL be ok...it really will.

My fear is that I will get "put under" but not all the way and be able to feel everything the doctor is doing.

Optima, this is one of my main fears also. Ever since I heard that this can happen, it has me freaked out. It would be terrible to feel everything but be paralyzed and unable to speak. I think, however, that they can detect this now by watching heart rate, etc. By the way, I love your avatar. Can you tell me where you found it?

My surgeon new I was terrified so they gave me iv anxiety meds and I don't even remember leaving the preop room. I woke up in recovery. The pain is not fun and you have to rest but you can do it! I'm only 3 days post op!

I have to say, that's this is my only fear of the surgery...I'm so with you on this..I just keep my faith and know that God will be right there with me! I have a family too and worry so much as so many depend on me..and I'm a smoker and quit for 5 days then started again so am working on that again too! My surgery is most likely next month and I'm petrified but excited at the same time. I know I can not go on like this at my size and the pain in my back and joints..not to mention high blood pressure, cholesterol and etc. I've talked my fears out with family and friends but most importantly I've given it over to God and trust in him. I just have to get this smoking thing under control and completely stop. Best of luck to you!

If you know you are a difficult intubation make sure you let your anesthesia provider know up front. Many hospitals have fiberoptic laryngoscopes that make the intubation so much smoother.

Waking up or having recall of events that occur during surgery is VERY rare. It occurs in maybe 1-2 patients per 10000. It is called anesthesia awareness. Please don't confuse general anesthesia with concious sedation. Two totally different levels of sedation used under different circumstances and it is not unusual to recall vaguely events during consious sedation.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Stacy Nicole - I think I might ask for anxiety meds... like as soon as I walk in the door to the hospital. Lol. I was there yesterday for EKG, sonogram and chest x-ray. They whole time I was thinking about how freezing it was in there and imagining myself having surgery in a freezing cold and creepy room.

Thanks again for all the reassurances and good luck to everybody else having the same fears. I should have my surgery date within a couple weeks.

Hi, this was 4 years ago. Did you have your surgery? If so how was being under and do you regret it?

I understand what your saying, I am a little nervous of that too. I have never had any kind of surgery before so I am not sure how it will effect me, I guess everybody is different. My sister gets sick from it ????

For me it was

1 get on the table

2 listen to the chat

3 they put the mask ok

4 start getting light headed

5 wake up in recovery with no sense of time passed.

6 listen to the nurses tell you how to work the pump etc.

7 deal with the gas and pain

This will be my 5th surgery, and probably my 8th time under anesthesia. Doctors are very careful and anesthesiologists are very well trained so you have nothing to worry about. I will tell you this, I get nauseous from anesthesia and if you feel the slightest nausea ring that bell and call the nurse. They can give you something right into your IV. You do not want to vomit and contract your belly. I hope this helps, you'll be ok ????

Edited by SkinnyVLS

When i had my gall bladder surgery thats was my biggest fear being under anesthesia and not waking up.. well that was the easiest part... i had comications due to a stuck gall stone on my pancratic duct it was horrible... now im thinking of getting the gastric sleeve but im scared of complications.. like stomach leak or infection.. im terrified of my previos expirence.. thought was gonna be easy but wasent