Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weights First Then Cardio?

OK So I've heard different methods...my trainer said to do weights first then do cardio. My hubby does weights first then cardio???

Thoughts on this??

Also he said I need to eat 216 grams of Protein a day, SAY WHAT??? I think it's 1.5 grams per my weight (144)...there's no way! Does this sound right to you?

Anyhoo, appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!!!!!!!

I assume you have expressed your goals to your trainer and have revealed your sleeve and the nutritional challenges surrounding that. I would say trust your trainer and give it a try.

I'm guessing you are looking to tone the muscle sitting under the loose skin, so as to reduce the amount of loose skin ... right?

In that case, you need Protein to build muscle and you want your energy focused on that, not on the elliptical.

I assume you have expressed your goals to your trainer and have revealed your sleeve and the nutritional challenges surrounding that. I would say trust your trainer and give it a try.

I'm guessing you are looking to tone the muscle sitting under the loose skin, so as to reduce the amount of loose skin ... right?

In that case, you need Protein to build muscle and you want your energy focused on that, not on the elliptical.

YES! That's my goal, all about toning and building muscle, I don't want to lose more weight (don't want to gain either though). I'm just not sure HOW IN THE HECK I'm gonna get all this Protein in...I started drinking Protein shakes again to help, but we'll see.

So if a person wants to lose weight they do cardio first then weights???

OOPS I meant to say my hubby does cardio first then weights...I told him that was wrong LOL

When I had a trainer last year he always had me doing cardio first because it got my heart rate up and I was burning more calories. But I was trying to lose weight and lots of fat. So I'm gonna say listen to your trainer he knows what he's talking about.

A big reason to do weights before cardio is to preserve form. You can easily injure yourself if you're fatigued from cardio while doing weights. Secondly, weights

Ideally, you will use the weight lifting to burn off glycogen supplies so when you hit your cardio, you're burning fat directly and more efficiently.

What circa said.

Re: Protein, I've heard of 2 g per lb of bodyweight, 1.5 g per lb of bodyweight, 1 g per lb of bodyweight, and 1 g per kg of bodyweight....bottom line, just make sure your diet is high in Protein and call it a day. I get like 70-110 g/day and keep putting on muscle mass. The most important time for protein intake is within 30 mins of your workout. If you have a shake after your workout, you're set.

I do carido, weights, then more cardio. The first part cardio is just to the blood flowing

Your cardio in retrospect is your warm up mr worm

But in all the bodybuilding books and fitness guides from the pros. The general consensus is to workout before cardio. Working out works your muscle fibers dilates your blood vessels which "in our case" increase the mitochondria's fat burning Activities. Cardio last because everythings flowing and transpotation is easier.

Old fashioned weights are better than machines because it creates alot of compound movements which not only effect the muscle group your trying to workout but also stability muscles that the machines just cant hit.

Good luck on your venture

(null)

I alternate days between cardio (which is primarily swimming) and strength training, and just do maybe five minutes of cardio on those days to get things warmed up. Arguably, we don't need a lot of cardio for fat burning as our enforced caloric deficits from the sleeve are already doing that for us, and we get more benefit from building/preserving muscle mass to enhance our metabolism and burn more calories long term. I tend to combine the two with circuit work by switching between muscle groups rather than resting between sets.

There are rules of thumb all over the place for the amount of Protein that we need, but it's hard to see any of us needing more than something in the low 100's. Someone into serious body building may need more than that, but the consensus of those not into selling Protein supplements seems to fall into the 160-200g per day range being the most that anyone can benficially use. Our (wife and I) trainer is fine with the 100g per day range for our moderate strengthening/toning.

I would agree that generally the free weights are preferred for providing compound movements and strengthening, though the machines are great early on for isolating muscle groups and avoiding over-doing the abs and core when that part is still healing (never did like hernias!) Our trainer is big on core work, but we mix it up between free weights, machines, TRX, and stretching/flexibility work.

My trainer would also prefer for me to use free weights rather than the machines but it's super embarrassing since it's where all the men are lol...he's also watching out for me and my daughter and said not to face a certain way so the freaks won't check us out when working out lol...so with that said I just feel more comfortable with the machines for now.

I'm starting to drink Protein Shakes in the morning again and after my workout, I'm hoping I can at least reach 100 grams...