Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weights First Then Cardio?

Damn circa. I knew there was a reason I liked you. Your pretty smart lol.

(null)

awe shucks! :)

Once upon a time (actually not all that long ago) I was a gym rat - its what I did for *gasp* FUN.

OK So I've heard different methods...my trainer said to do weights first then do cardio. My hubby does weights first then cardio???

Thoughts on this??

Also he said I need to eat 216 grams of Protein a day, SAY WHAT??? I think it's 1.5 grams per my weight (144)...there's no way! Does this sound right to you?

Anyhoo, appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Well this is my opinion only but... when I do any kind of weight training I always do a light cardio to "warm up" my muscles. I've always felt my muscles are more receptive this way. Then when finish I do a cool down and stretch. It works for me.

AND... I don't know why anyone would think we really need that much Protein. Too much protein makes our kidneys work extremely hard, so I would never tell anyone to take in that much. Anyone who works out normally (like you and me... non athletic but good workouts) should be ok with about 80-100g per day. It's not failed me yet, and the last thing I want to hear is that my kidneys are having issues. :unsure:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

"How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein."

Here is a quiz regarding protein consumption from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/rm-quiz-protein-myths-facts

Another great source from WebMD: http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

"What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?

High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

• Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
  • High cholesterol . It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more Calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.
  • Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the Vitamins, minerals, Fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
  • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day."

I just want to echo RickM's comments.

I do about 15 minutes cardio prior to weight training to warm up. Rotate through the muscle groups and stay active during the weight lifting session. Stretch before and after.

Early on, I started with machines. This supported basic form and strengthened the muscles I needed to do free weights with better form. With the exception of thighs, I do free weights exclusively now.

As far as losing/gaining weight ... at this point, you are below goal. I would remove that from my mind completely. What does it really mean if you gain 5 pounds? Do you think it is an unhealthy 5 pounds? Do you expect to gain muscle mass but not gain weight? And what if you lose? Does this mean you are not gaining muscle mass ... ? I can see your head starting to spin now. If I remember correctly, head spins is one of the reasons you changed to a weekly weigh-in. Don't curse yourself by falling back into the slavery of the scale. Work-out ... do cardio and strength training ... listen and do what your trainer tells you. Trust in them and yourself and it all just might work out the way it is supposed to.

Good luck!

Keep us posted. I'm also interested in how you feel your nutrition effects your training. If you make any adjustments and how you feel.

I totally agree with PDXman... working out more and weight training will cause lots of fluctuations on the scale. It is not a bad thing... there are many reasons for this. It should never be used as a reason to discontinue with very healthy habits, nor should it be used as a reason to be upset with ourselves.

I found this picture on Facebook just today and thought this is a perfect forum to share it.

post-38-13813658214372_thumb.jpg

I totally agree with PDXman... working out more and weight training will cause lots of fluctuations on the scale. It is not a bad thing... there are many reasons for this. It should never be used as a reason to discontinue with very healthy habits, nor should it be used as a reason to be upset with ourselves.

I found this picture on Facebook just today and thought this is a perfect forum to share it.

post-38-13813658214372_thumb.jpg

AWESOME PIC DIVA!!!!!!!!!!! Great visual for me now!!! Love it!

I am determined to work out for my heart!!! I have to! I'm in this for the LONG HAUL! Ain't NO STOPPING ME NOW!

I just want to echo RickM's comments.

I do about 15 minutes cardio prior to weight training to warm up. Rotate through the muscle groups and stay active during the weight lifting session. Stretch before and after.

Early on, I started with machines. This supported basic form and strengthened the muscles I needed to do free weights with better form. With the exception of thighs, I do free weights exclusively now.

As far as losing/gaining weight ... at this point, you are below goal. I would remove that from my mind completely. What does it really mean if you gain 5 pounds? Do you think it is an unhealthy 5 pounds? Do you expect to gain muscle mass but not gain weight? And what if you lose? Does this mean you are not gaining muscle mass ... ? I can see your head starting to spin now. If I remember correctly, head spins is one of the reasons you changed to a weekly weigh-in. Don't curse yourself by falling back into the slavery of the scale. Work-out ... do cardio and strength training ... listen and do what your trainer tells you. Trust in them and yourself and it all just might work out the way it is supposed to.

Good luck!

Keep us posted. I'm also interested in how you feel your nutrition effects your training. If you make any adjustments and how you feel.

Yes no more slave to the scale for me...I've been doing really well and only weighing once a week, that is HUGE for me.

And YES I will listen to my trainer and do weights first then cardio for now and see what happens. It's only been 12 days, I will give it a few months.

Thanks so much y'all!!!!

Well this is my opinion only but... when I do any kind of weight training I always do a light cardio to "warm up" my muscles. I've always felt my muscles are more receptive this way. Then when finish I do a cool down and stretch. It works for me.

AND... I don't know why anyone would think we really need that much Protein. Too much protein makes our kidneys work extremely hard, so I would never tell anyone to take in that much. Anyone who works out normally (like you and me... non athletic but good workouts) should be ok with about 80-100g per day. It's not failed me yet, and the last thing I want to hear is that my kidneys are having issues. :unsure:

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=50900

"How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein."

Here is a quiz regarding protein consumption from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com...ein-myths-facts

Another great source from WebMD: http://women.webmd.c...bohydrate-diets

"What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?

High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

• Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
  • High cholesterol . It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more Calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.
  • Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the Vitamins, minerals, Fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
  • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day."

You are right Diva! I do not want anymore health problems lol. The good thing is I eat carbs too. I try to have a balanced diet and eat everything. I'm just going to make sure to up the protein :) to a reasonable amount.

My trainer told me to do at least 15 minutes cardio to warm up then I do the weights with her and then I can add 30 minutes or so cardio :)

OK My worse fear has happened...I've gained with all this working out ;(...today I'm 149.2 the highest I've been in a looong time.

I stopped drinking fraps, diet soda and started working my butt off and BAM LOL!

Now I'm going to have to stop eating all the junk I've been eat lately (crackers, candy, etc)...hopefully that will help, and most importantly help my insides the most :)

I WILL NOT STOP WORKING OUT! I CAN'T!!!!! SO TAKE THAT scale LOL!

STRONG IS THE NEW BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!