Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Mos Out .. Still Hungry.. Why!?

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around for a bit and finally decided to dive in.. thank you in advance for the feedback I am hoping to receive.

I had my surgery in June 2011, lost about 50lbs between then and early October.. since then I have just been up and down and I am getting really discouraged. Part of it I know is because I am getting off track, part of it I am not sure why/what is going on..

1. I get full quickly,after small meals, but even after my Protein.. I am hungry again maybe a 2 hrs later.. why?

2. Sweets have always been my demise .. and I have realized that they go down VERY easily with the sleeve, I just cant have nearly as much as I used to. I feel like I should have gotten the Bypass rather than the sleeve, as I have heard you cannot do much sweets/sugar at all with that one. Is this true?

The fact that I can eat sweets is becoming a disaster.. granted, I cannot eat like I used to (got carried away once with chicken and was miserable for a good 30 min after until it went down) .. but I had NO IDEA that they would be so easy to eat.

3. Water - I am never thirsty as I was prior to surgery.. and its hard to drink more than 30 oz of Water a day

Does anyone have any suggestions, help they can provide. Please address all 3 of my points if possible.. thanks so much :)

Well done on your success fo far...

I am hearing you loud and clear...there are a couple of ways to get back on track:

Track your food, as you eat currently for a couple of days... including the sweets... see how many cals, carbs and Protein etc you are getting... then adjust it accordingly - to what you feel comfortable with in terms of intake and quantity. This might take a week or two to tweek and work out what is best for you, but it is worth an try and if defo keeps you focused.

As, you get full quick, then - if I am reading this right - you snack on sweets? - you draw up a 'meal plan' for the day...

Say, brekkie - you usual

cup of Water

snack - Protein

cup of Water

lunch - ususal

cup of water

snack - protein

cup of water

dinner - usual

snack - protein

cup of water

It might seem a little perscriptive, but it will keep you focused and hopefully too full to eat sweets?

Diva has also put a boot camp, back to basics, thread on here, which a lot of people use to get rid of the carb/sweet monster... you could try that?

Have you got much more to lose?

Let us know how you are doing and what you decide... good luck =]

drink before you're thirsty. When you feel thirsty, you're already starting to dehydrate. Fluids are so very important.

try to discipline yourself against sweets. If they're your downfall, don't buy them. Don't have them in the house to fall back on when you're bored.

If you feel you can't, maybe talk to your surgeon about the optional second part operation of the duodenal switch.

exercise. exercise. exercise.

How much Protein are you eating? How quickly after are you drinking?

Well done on your success fo far...

I am hearing you loud and clear...there are a couple of ways to get back on track:

Track your food, as you eat currently for a couple of days... including the sweets... see how many cals, carbs and Protein etc you are getting... then adjust it accordingly - to what you feel comfortable with in terms of intake and quantity. This might take a week or two to tweek and work out what is best for you, but it is worth an try and if defo keeps you focused.

As, you get full quick, then - if I am reading this right - you snack on sweets? - you draw up a 'meal plan' for the day...

Say, brekkie - you usual

cup of Water

snack - Protein

cup of Water

lunch - ususal

cup of water

snack - protein

cup of water

dinner - usual

snack - protein

cup of water

It might seem a little perscriptive, but it will keep you focused and hopefully too full to eat sweets?

Diva has also put a boot camp, back to basics, thread on here, which a lot of people use to get rid of the carb/sweet monster... you could try that?

Have you got much more to lose?

Let us know how you are doing and what you decide... good luck =]

Thanks for your feedback .. I still have A LOT to lose .. which is another reason why I am wondering why my dr didnt suggest the bypass instead of sleeve. Seems that heavier people are more prone to going with the bypass. I have about another 80 lbs to lose :(

drink before you're thirsty. When you feel thirsty, you're already starting to dehydrate. Fluids are so very important.

try to discipline yourself against sweets. If they're your downfall, don't buy them. Don't have them in the house to fall back on when you're bored.

If you feel you can't, maybe talk to your surgeon about the optional second part operation of the duodenal switch.

exercise. exercise. exercise.

How much Protein are you eating? How quickly after are you drinking?

I always wait at least 30 min after I am done eating before I drink Water .. I cant before then, too full. I do sometimes only wait 20-ish minutes after I drink before I eat.. but only occasionally.

Protein is usually ..

breakfast: 2 eggs boiled - 1 without the yolk, 1 with .. sometimes i dont finish

lunch: baked chicken nuggets - usually 4 or 5, or small piece of tilapia, or about 1/4 cup of chicken breast ( i cant get any more of chicken breast than that at any one time), or half a sandwich - as in 1 slice of toasted whole wheat bread, with turkey or some other kind of lunch meat and a slice of cheese .. sometimes i will have a few bites of green Beans with the protein choice.. sometimes not

Dinner: same choices as lunch usually .. minus the sandwhich. I dont do carbs at dinner most days.

I think my issue is snacking in between - plus i work from home and I think I may be either having just head/bored hunger, or lacking Water .. and confusing that with hunger maybe?

Snacking is usually 4-5 ritz crackers with Peanut Butter, maybe a sweet instead (hence my problem is probably snacking and sweets)

What do you think??

Thank you!!

Go back to basics and get away from the sweets. Drink lots of Water and more water. ;)

Thanks for your feedback .. I still have A LOT to lose .. which is another reason why I am wondering why my dr didnt suggest the bypass instead of sleeve. Seems that heavier people are more prone to going with the bypass. I have about another 80 lbs to lose :(

This is not exactly true. Alot of people have lost alot of weight with the sleeve. You can do it do. Just focus on eating Protein, Protein, protein, chew, chew, chew, and lots of Water. You will do great. Kick up the exercise. Park long distances from the stores or your work. ;) Big Hug to you!

Hello!

I can totally relate to your post! I also eat, get full quickly and then 1 1/2 hours later I am starving again. It is so darn hard!

And to read others post that they have to remind themselves to eat... OH.. makes me cringe! I still am fighting off my hunger, the sleeve has totally helped me stop eating so much at one time, however, it has not taken away my hunger like it has some. With this being said, the only little advise I can give you is the liquids, if my will power is strong that day, when I start getting hungry 1 1/2 hours after eating, I hurry and mix a crystal light & Water and I will not let myself eat until I finish 20 oz of liquid... Somedays it is hard! Nights are hard, I can be hungry an hour after eating... I just have to keep putting the liquid in me!

I started this journey at 341 LBS... I have lost 115 so far. I am bigger boned or hold my weight differently or something as people do not believe I weight as much as I do! In my comparison photo I am at my 1 year mark - 223 pounds... I still have 60 pounds to lose, I want to be at 160 goal weight.

I know since I am over a year out it will take me longer to hit my goal, but I will hit it... and as long as I am not gaining, I am smiling!!!

Hang in there and keep trying... losing weight is a daily battle.

I also get hungry ~ 2 hours after eating, but I've learned to plan for this and pack healthy Snacks to munch on. I focus on quality Protein for Breakfast, lunch and dinner and ALWAYS eat on a schedule. For midmorning and midafternoon if at work I have a cheese stick, or a high Protein Kashi granola bar, or a small helping of Peanut Butter (get these at the cafeteria). At home I'll have a cup of Unjury's chicken Soup (very protein dense).

It's the protein that fills you up. If you are eating sweet carbs, it's no wonder you are perpetually hungry! Quite simply, you have to make the hard decision that your health is more important than your sweet tooth. That's not to say you can never have sweets again, but you MUST limit them to very special occasions only. Some of us do swear off white-carbs (candy is included here) as they are trigger foods. Only you know if you are that susceptible to candy being your downfall. If it is, get all the sweets OUT OF THE HOUSE.

For myself, If I've done well during the day and have exercised, I treat myself to cheese for desert. Amazingly, after 11 months, my sweet tooth has dramatically decreased and I really don't miss sweets, but I also do not tempt fate.

More hard-won advice is to not drink Water 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after. That will also help you stay full. Also measure yourself monthly. Often when we are not losing weight we are losing inches, and that can also be very motivating.

Exercise! You must do this to keep your metabolism up and out of starvation mode where you body tries to hang onto every gram of fat as you lose weight. I used to hate exercise, but now I do it faithfully every day. I still don't like it, but i can see that it works and allows me to eat more now that I'm approaching maintenance.

You might want to check with your doctor to see if you might be confusing heartburn or GERD for hunger.

The sleeve DOES work, but it's a tool, just like the RNY or the DS. You made a good decision and have kept your pyloric valve which you will be very grateful for in the future, but you must work your sleeve. I'm down to 120 from 235 lbs pre-op and reached goal at 9 months.

Best of luck.

I think with the fact that you haven't dealt with the sweets issue is the biggest thing. Peanut Butter is about 240 calories for a serving and ritz crackers another 170 per serving, which is about 6 crackers. That's 400 calories right there.

Try snacking on some cauliflower or cottage cheese or something instead.

Well ... my 2 cents here, and just my opinion and I hope I don't come across as harsh, I want you to succeed.

It seems that you need to address your relationship with food with a therapist. It is not the sleeve's fault that you are not eating correctly. It is not going to make you eat the foods you are supposed to. The same is true for bypass. That is why you hear so many stories about people with bypass gaining it right back. You have to address why you are not eating right. These should have all been brought up prior to your surgery.

The sleeve is not a magic bullet and neither is the bypass.

I wish you the best in this.

Well ... my 2 cents here, and just my opinion and I hope I don't come across as harsh, I want you to succeed.

It seems that you need to address your relationship with food with a therapist. It is not the sleeve's fault that you are not eating correctly. It is not going to make you eat the foods you are supposed to. The same is true for bypass. That is why you hear so many stories about people with bypass gaining it right back. You have to address why you are not eating right. These should have all been brought up prior to your surgery.

The sleeve is not a magic bullet and neither is the bypass.

I wish you the best in this.

I have considered this actually, and you are totally right. I dont want to eat sweets, I am not even hungry for them.. I dont know why I cant say no. It sounds stupid I'm sure .. :/

I have noticed when I get in a stall/slump it is worse.. if I find myself exercising hard core EVERY day for a week and drinking Water like I am supposed to.. I have no desire to touch the sweets. Sigh.. I am going to look into to talking to someone though. Thanks for your advice :)

I also get hungry ~ 2 hours after eating, but I've learned to plan for this and pack healthy Snacks to munch on. I focus on quality Protein for Breakfast, lunch and dinner and ALWAYS eat on a schedule. For midmorning and midafternoon if at work I have a cheese stick, or a high Protein Kashi granola bar, or a small helping of Peanut Butter (get these at the cafeteria). At home I'll have a cup of Unjury's chicken Soup (very protein dense).

It's the protein that fills you up. If you are eating sweet carbs, it's no wonder you are perpetually hungry! Quite simply, you have to make the hard decision that your health is more important than your sweet tooth. That's not to say you can never have sweets again, but you MUST limit them to very special occasions only. Some of us do swear off white-carbs (candy is included here) as they are trigger foods. Only you know if you are that susceptible to candy being your downfall. If it is, get all the sweets OUT OF THE HOUSE.

For myself, If I've done well during the day and have exercised, I treat myself to cheese for desert. Amazingly, after 11 months, my sweet tooth has dramatically decreased and I really don't miss sweets, but I also do not tempt fate.

More hard-won advice is to not drink Water 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after. That will also help you stay full. Also measure yourself monthly. Often when we are not losing weight we are losing inches, and that can also be very motivating.

Exercise! You must do this to keep your metabolism up and out of starvation mode where you body tries to hang onto every gram of fat as you lose weight. I used to hate exercise, but now I do it faithfully every day. I still don't like it, but i can see that it works and allows me to eat more now that I'm approaching maintenance.

You might want to check with your doctor to see if you might be confusing heartburn or GERD for hunger.

The sleeve DOES work, but it's a tool, just like the RNY or the DS. You made a good decision and have kept your pyloric valve which you will be very grateful for in the future, but you must work your sleeve. I'm down to 120 from 235 lbs pre-op and reached goal at 9 months.

Best of luck.

This post is great, thank you!! Which Proteins do you focus on? Honestly I am sick of chicken.. and I cannot tolerate hamburger meat, or sometimes even turkey burgers.. I dont know what it is about about the ground meat.. but it doesnt sit very well. I am also a HORRIBLE cook.. and I think that is why I turn to quick and not so healthy proteins.. because I dont particularly like how the food I cook tastes lol I dont enjoy it. Any ideas? Also .. what kind of exercising do you do? I am burnt out from the treadmill and I think its not doing its job anymore..

Thanks!

So, I'm also not cooking meals that often. I make huge batches of Soup and freeze them in pint jars for lunch. I buy ready chopped salads, throw some canned tuna and whatnots in and VOILA! dinner. Want something more, grab the individually wrapped frozen tilapia filets from costco, drizzle with olive oil and seasonings. 30 minutes later, yum! Don't have to thaw them or anything and they are tasty and easy on the tummy.

Caitlyn's advice is spot on, too.

This post is great, thank you!! Which Proteins do you focus on? Honestly I am sick of chicken.. and I cannot tolerate hamburger meat, or sometimes even turkey burgers.. I dont know what it is about about the ground meat.. but it doesnt sit very well. I am also a HORRIBLE cook.. and I think that is why I turn to quick and not so healthy proteins.. because I dont particularly like how the food I cook tastes lol I dont enjoy it. Any ideas? Also .. what kind of exercising do you do? I am burnt out from the treadmill and I think its not doing its job anymore..

Thanks!

I've been blessed with a sleeve that will tolerate almost anything I put in it, as long as I eat in moderation. I eat chicken, hamburger, flank steak, pork loin, pot roast, ham, salmon & tilapia. The quantities are very small, often only 5-6 bites, and then I'm full. I am careful to chew, although I no long have to chew things to a mush. I also keep a small supply of deli meat on hand and sometimes have two pieces of ham or roast beef for dinner, which is also very filling.

By choice, I have meat once a day at most, and have discovered the pleasures of Beans as a great Protein alternative for lunch or dinner. I make all kinds of Soups (lentil, 15-bean, navy bean) and let them thicken so they are very hearty.

When I need a 'crunch' fix I turn to Kashi Cereal. I'll have a cup of their Go-Lean with only 140 cal and 11 grams of Protein (no milk by choice). Sometimes I'll do this for lunch, sometimes for a snack.

For treats I'll have a few pieces of Cheddar cheese, or a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. Both are fairly high in calories, but also protein and good fats. It is a good trade-off for nutrition and also filling.

Like I've said, I really don't like exercise, but since I now actually works for me, I stay motivated. I do an hour a day, sometimes on an elliptical, sometimes 1/2 elliptical, 1/2 treadmill. Once in a while I'll join a Zumba class. I do need to add structured strengthening to my regimen. I do it hit-or-miss now, but since I've reached goal I know I need to build some muscle to fill out saggy skin. Thank goodness for iPods! At least I can listen to some distracting music while I sweat.