Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Mos Out .. Still Hungry.. Why!?

I have the same problem with getting hungry quickly after meals. It was always like that for me, even pre-surgery - no matter how huge of a meal I had, 3-4 hours later I'd be starving. I've heard theories about more rapid gastric emptying due to high acidity and/or overactive peristalsis, and of course you can never rule out more serious things like some sort of malabsorption issue. As a healthy person who had gastritis as a child and seems to have a pretty rumbunctious bowel, I subscribe to the high acidity/overactive peristalsis theory. To deal with this, I simply eat 5-6 meals a day. You can still keep your calorie intake under control if your choices are generally healthy.

Re: sweets. Yeah, they can be your downfall. The sleeve is idiot-proof AS LONG AS you avoid junk food. I have an occasional day where I overindulge in sweets. This is usually the result of having them readily available in the house. I'm maintaining my weight now and I'm physically active, so I don't dwell too much on a bad day. Therefore, I keep them in the house now, but I did not keep any while I was in the losing phase. I think reducing your access to them will be 80% of the battle. If I really craved chocolate, I'd go and buy a single-serving bar. Similarly, avoid grocery shopping when hungry.

Also, I prevent myself from getting too hungry by eating healthy Snacks (e.g. Greek yogurt, berries, bananas) throughout the day. They are sweet, but don't cause sugar crashes. I also satisfy my sweet tooth with tea or lattes with splenda.

It is a common problem, you are not alone, sweets craving always find their way back. The good thing is that you know the problem and definetly there is a way out of this sweet dilemma. I find myself going on curves with my sweet tooth. Somedays I have the power to just say no.. other I just take a bite or two of a chocolate cake and the rest of the days I JUST CANT STOP! I use to suffer from dumping when I eat sweets but now I can go extra further before feeling the dumping syndrome attacking me. SO it will all be in ur will power to say no and find scale changes, which will keep u going forward on saying no to ur head hunger for sweets.. u may then allow urself a small indulgence but the scale victory will keep ur willpower going strong.

Try tricking yourself when u feel the need for sweet.. by just filling on Water which is gonna make up for the lack of ur Fluid intakes. I dont believe in low calorie/carbs Desserts so I Will never suggest to someone indulging on them instead.

As for the hunger, I think at this stage it is totally normal cause your stomach capacity is just getting to its finish result, It doesnt mean it is stretching but all it means is that your swelling is going down and u are having ur real final capacity, so may be u are still confused by ur new capacity and eating less but quicker.. so u need to start chewing really well, adding more Protein to ur meal and checking if that will fill u up better for more hours. I dont see it a bad thing to eat every 3 hours BUT then you will need to be really strict with ur QUALITY of food.. so why not snack on REAL Protein like chicken/beef/fish.. give urself a time to know if you are really hungry or just confused with head hunger.

FINALLY! EXERCISE .. u need to tick ur body and poke it once again to start giving up on the pounds its hanging on.

There is no way too much weight or way too less weight with the sleeve.. everything just take a time and honestly some if not a lot of mental effort before physical effort.. Keep visualizing your goal weight and work on it:) U WILL DO IT:)

I can completely relate to the OP! I was sleeved in June too and find the carb monster has come home to roost. Especially at certain times of the month. I can't find the motivation to exercise every day even though when I do I feel much better. What's up with that?

I'm hovering just over 200 now and have decided to exercise every day until I'm below 200. After that maybe I hope I will be motivated to keep doing it everyday.

I just need to get off my butt and stay out of the carbs! I have a houseful of people that are all sweet junkies so it's really hard to keep them out of the house. I need to be firm though. I should only allow the stuff I don't like. vanilla ice cream could sit in the freezer for years and I wouldn't touch it. Bring chocolate in though and it's gone like that!

We can do this. Let me know how you're doing and we'll get there together!