Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop Jitters: State Of Extreme Nervousness

First I would like to say that I am so grateful for this site and all of your comments. All of you have written wonderful advice. With that in mind, let me tell you that my surgery is this Friday 02/03/12 right on my hubbie’s B-Day! This surgery is my own present.. I turn 40 years old on super bowl Sunday, two days after my sleeve surgery. I currently weigh 208, but my heaviest was 222 I'm 5'0" A BMI of over 40

I began this journey last May when I got the approval from Kaiser to begin the Options program. This program was 3 months of weekly classes that prepares prospective weight loss Kaiser members that are ready to embark on this journey. I’m also extremely grateful for that program.

So here I am, 2 days until my surgery. I am extremely nervous, I truly do have the jitters. I’ve have kept busy, preparing my home and husband and son for this big step. I’ve bought just about everything on my Kaiser shopping list and some items mentioned in these blogs. Currently I'm eating liquids and purees.. self imposed.. Kaiser only asked for one day of Clear Liquids prior to surgery and no food past 12:00 AM

I am nervous, exited and worried all at once. Thank God for the internet!! It keeps me sane. But overall I AM READY!!! READY!

Take deep breaths and know that its going to be GREAT! I had my surgery 2 days after my birthday :) I had some jitters until I got there, but it went away immediately :) Good luck and keep us up to date!

I felt exactly the same. That was 91/2 mos. ago. I am also 5 feet tall, and I was 20 lbs heavier than you, and 20 years older. I also had to have the band removed, scar tissue removed, and then the sleeve. I had more emotions going through me, I can't begin to tell you. The worst time for me was in the preop room, waiting for the gurney. I must say, that as I was wheeled to the operating room, I felt calmer than I had in weeks. I KNEW that I was doing the right thing. You are having it done on your birthday, which is a lucky day for you, but I felt as if it was my birthday as well. I felt that I was beginning a new life. A healthy life. Your emotions are perfectly normal, and you too will be writing this type of reply to someone else soon. You'll see. Good luck, happy birthday, and welcome to the loser's bench.

Linda

You sound exactly the way I did before surgery - I had my doubts right up until they put that IV in my arm and wheeled me off to the operating table! Please know that it's totally normal to have last minute jitters - before you know it you'll be on the loser's bench and thanking your lucky stars that you didn't back out! :Banane10:

Congratulations and wishing you the best of success in your journey. My date is the same as yours. :-)

I'm glad everyone Is sharing here! I have a little Less than two weeks and am very nervous! I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing! But I know in the long run I am!surgery is surgery and it's scary and life altering surgery is scary the most! I am so happy to at least read others before and after stories cause it really helps!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

My surgery is a week after yours. I'm really nervous too so, let me know how you're doing.

Best wishes for your surgery this Friday, and happy birthday. At least you'll have your birthday as your milestone of your accomplishments in the years to come.

I am less than two weeks from mine and I'm doing 2 weeks of Proteins only and I'm already having a hard time with it. I understand your jitters and thankful for all the great responses from people who've been there assuring everything will work out for the best.

Congrats to all that are getting the surgery! I had mine done 1/27/12 and had jitters but it was worth it even though Im not 100 percent healed I smile bigger now know that I did something to improve the quality of my life! Breath and keep your faith strong in the fact that you will be ok. Im praying for all that are going through this journey! May god be with you God bless!

An early - Welcome to the losers bench to you and Misha. Exciting changes are coming!

I had mine six days after my birthday last December. I tried to put it out of my mind for as long as possible leading up to the surgery, as I was 100% sure I had made the right decision. Well, when we got to the hospital, I cried a bit in the waiting room. Then, when I was in pre-op, I really lost it! My surgery was delayed and I was so upset that I considered pulling the IV out and leaving!

The nurse came in and gave me a couple of valium and then I was out cold. I think I would have left without the valium.

I am so glad I didn't. Thank God for valium!

So excited for you guys! Best wishes. Though I'm still in pain I could not be more thrilled with my decision. I feel in control and like real change is finally in my future. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I was sleeved this past Monday and I can't believe I pulled this off. I'm proud of myself. You will be too.

I am AMAZED at how total strangers can be so supportive!!! I thank you so much for all your encouragement.. I honestly feel better. Reading all of your comments really makes me feel good. Clear liquids for me today!!! I can’t wait for tomorrow 1:00 PM!! Thanks so much for your wonderful support I really need to hear all of what you have posted!!. You’re sending me off on a wonderful note. Again thank you.

Quick up date.. I’m 9 days post op!! I can’t believe it!! Time flies.. My surgery went well.. the worst part of it was the air/gas left inside the cavity. I couldn’t sleep, lay down or sit down right after surgery. It wasn’t extreme pain, but more of an extremely uncomfortable feeling. So I took my Dr.’s advice and I walked! I walked about twice an hour starting from around 6:00 PM to around 10:00 AM the next day At that time I was able to lay down. I slept for about 2 hours. I was released soon after at 2:00 PM and that night at home I slept well.. no pain, no discomfort.. Most of the air was out of my body. Overall I feel that I’ve been extremely lucky. The most pain I felt was what felt like a pinch on my incisions and minor, probably unrelated back pain. No other symptoms. It feels too good to be true..

Thank you so much for all of your help and support.