Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinion Of Dr Almanza And His Facility In Tijuana

I think he's an experienced surgeon. I originally chose him but decided to go in another direction for a couple reasons: There was a armed robbery at his facility in September (not a rumor - his coordinator verified this for me). He does several surgeries per day, which I didn't feel was optimal for focus and concentration. He doesn't speak English, so it's difficult to communicate your needs/fears, etc. to him. He does the surgeries at a clinic in a strip mall NOT a hospital; heaven forbid, if something were to happen, there's no ICU. You go to a recovery house to recover; it is crowded; sometimes there are up to five people in one room. That did not sound appealing to me. He also uses stitches you have to remove yourself when you get home (or go to a doc to do it for you); I didn't want to deal with that. That being said, most people do well with him and have no issues. Do your research on this forum and others; google his name. There are other doctors in Mexico who are slightly more but have better track records, imo. Just my two cents.

5 surgeries a day is average for a surgeon with a procedure time similar to ours. I know it sounds like a lot because....well...they are messing around with your insides :) But I think you'll find that every other surgeon, including yours does 5-7 surgeries in a day.

I just had the surgery Jan.9th 2012 with Dr. Almanza. I was'nt impressed with the care. Once I arrived they were 5 others there to have the same surgery. We got to the clinic around 10:00am After the EKG, blood work, and speeches they took the first patient. They start with the one that has the lowest BMI. They began about 2:pm. I finally had mine around 5:00pm and was not the last one. While I was waiting my turn. They started an IV drip on me and put me in this very small room with a twin bed, a television, and chair. Most of the channels were in spanish. A nurse would stick her head in every once in a while. Once they came and got me we walked into a small surgery room where I laid on a table with my hands strapped down on both sides of me. Thats all I remember till after it was over. They woke me up, had me walk back to the same room. I was nauseated and had a lot of gas pain. The nurse would come in and give me something for both. In the morning they had all of us to get ready to go to the recovery house. The ride was about 20 minutes. At the house they were two women there that were cooking for the hospital staff. The smells of the food made me nauseated. They were other staff there that done various things. We were givin pain medication and told to rest. I could not. The smells of the cooking, people dropping in, laughing loudly, and the television going. The walls are very thin and you room with other people that has had the surgery. All I did that day was walk around the house being nauseated. There were some people opted to go stay at a local motel at their expense to avoid all of this.. The next morning we were took to have xrays, and a leak test. The liquid you have to drink for the leak test is horrible. I came home a day early just because I could not put up with so many people, noises, and smells that were in the recovery house. As of right now I'm not sure I would go this route again. I hope this helps you. Good Luck!

I used Dr. Almanza in Nov 2009. I had a great experience with no compications. I lost 85 pounds and have kept it off. I am sure there have been issues, but that isn't any different then hospitals or doctors here in the USA. The biggest thing is...It is Mexico...They do things a bit different and you have to be okay with that. It is not that it is wrong, it's just different. Some people are so used to the hospitals we have here and the type of care we get that it really throws them off. But you can't compare the two as it is a totally different country, so you just have to be comfortable with different. I mean you can't exspect the same care and accomidations for less than half the cost?? I would go back 100 times over and and hopefully I going to be accompanying my sister there soon. Good luck! Let me kow if you have any questions.

I just had the surgery Jan.9th 2012 with Dr. Almanza. I was'nt impressed with the care. Once I arrived they were 5 others there to have the same surgery. We got to the clinic around 10:00am After the EKG, blood work, and speeches they took the first patient. They start with the one that has the lowest BMI. They began about 2:pm. I finally had mine around 5:00pm and was not the last one. While I was waiting my turn. They started an IV drip on me and put me in this very small room with a twin bed, a television, and chair. Most of the channels were in spanish. A nurse would stick her head in every once in a while. Once they came and got me we walked into a small surgery room where I laid on a table with my hands strapped down on both sides of me. Thats all I remember till after it was over. They woke me up, had me walk back to the same room. I was nauseated and had a lot of gas pain. The nurse would come in and give me something for both. In the morning they had all of us to get ready to go to the recovery house. The ride was about 20 minutes. At the house they were two women there that were cooking for the hospital staff. The smells of the food made me nauseated. They were other staff there that done various things. We were givin pain medication and told to rest. I could not. The smells of the cooking, people dropping in, laughing loudly, and the television going. The walls are very thin and you room with other people that has had the surgery. All I did that day was walk around the house being nauseated. There were some people opted to go stay at a local motel at their expense to avoid all of this.. The next morning we were took to have xrays, and a leak test. The liquid you have to drink for the leak test is horrible. I came home a day early just because I could not put up with so many people, noises, and smells that were in the recovery house. As of right now I'm not sure I would go this route again. I hope this helps you. Good Luck!

There really doesn't seem to be anything in your story that hasn't been told here before - was there a certain thing that you were extremely displeased with that was medically relevant? Thanks!

I'm going to Dr. Almanza on Feb 3rd and I'm pretty prepared for what to expect. I do expect a good surgeon but things aren't going to be perfect. I already know that I can expect to potentially wait all day before my surgery because of the amount of surgeries he does. I already expect to be speaking Spanish because many of the staffers do not know English. I expect the recovery house to be loud and I will likely leave a day early and head back to San Diego the night before my flight to stay in a hotel for some sleep. I'm an insomniac and I sleep much of my time during the day so if I can't sleep at the recovery house, it will be necessary. I expect decent care but not anything amazing. I have had surgeries in the U.S. with surgeons who are less than impressive and also in a clinic setting just like Dr. Almanza's so I know what to expect. The idea of surgery in a clinic is not foreign at all. In Austin, there are several places just like that. I had surgery in a strip mall in Austin this year so it happens in the U.S. too.

I will also be having my surgery with Dr. Almanza. I'm shooting for the beginning of March....just waiting on income tax to come in so I can pay for it. I can't wait to begin my journey!

I am contemplating gastric sleeve surgery with Dr Almanza in the near future. I'd love to hear the good and bad with regard to him and his facility/care. I am trying to be as educated as I can and rely on your expertise. if you have suggestions for places I can look for information on this doctor I'd also be very grateful. Mexico is the only option for me. I am paying for the surgery myself.

thank you

I'm in Austin too! Too bad I can't get Feb. 3rd as well! Would love to have a travel buddy! Let me know how it all goes :-)

I'm going to Dr. Almanza on Feb 3rd and I'm pretty prepared for what to expect. I do expect a good surgeon but things aren't going to be perfect. I already know that I can expect to potentially wait all day before my surgery because of the amount of surgeries he does. I already expect to be speaking Spanish because many of the staffers do not know English. I expect the recovery house to be loud and I will likely leave a day early and head back to San Diego the night before my flight to stay in a hotel for some sleep. I'm an insomniac and I sleep much of my time during the day so if I can't sleep at the recovery house, it will be necessary. I expect decent care but not anything amazing. I have had surgeries in the U.S. with surgeons who are less than impressive and also in a clinic setting just like Dr. Almanza's so I know what to expect. The idea of surgery in a clinic is not foreign at all. In Austin, there are several places just like that. I had surgery in a strip mall in Austin this year so it happens in the U.S. too.

I worked out of Freeport, Tx for years and I have seen plenty of stripmall clinics around houston. Especially in the pearland area. I guess I have become accustomed to the way mexicans operate. The only bad thing is no ICU. Thats very understandable. I know people want the safe feeling of an ICU available but in real life people in ICU die also.

Things Happen. Sadly but true. I have to go search For a webpage to verify some info on where Dr Almanza currently works since 2007

(null)

I had surgery with him on Nov 29th. He is highly experienced, has never lost a patient, very caring man.

There is only 2 things I didn't like. The recovery house was fine. I made friends, was taken care of, given pain meds, you name it. The only thing I didn't like was they cook food for the workers, drivers, and people that work at the clinic. Being post op not being able to eat anything and smelling yummy food sucked.

The other thing is while you get a huge packet with post op instructions, you don't get the nutrition follow up or the counseling most people get when they have their surgery in the US. I have to find my own doctor to draw blood every so often, my own nutritionist if I have any questions and my own therapist. You are pretty much on your own after. So no after care. This board has been my after care more than anything else.

It was all I could afford, I had great care, and don't regret going to him. Even if I had friends that their insurance covered in the US, I would still send them to him because you can't beat experience, but I would make sure that they have in place the primary, nutritionist, and therapist to help them after. That is my 2 cents, hope it helps and best of luck.

I asked Louise a series of questions. I feel they beat around the bush in some instances to avoid scaring you off. But this is what I got.

My wife and I were discussing leaks, deaths, and other complications. We have a couple of questions

1. Could you give me Dr Mario Almanzas complication rates? LESS THAN 1% COMPLICATION, LEAK OR INFECTION RATE. :)

2. I also would like to know how many others are scheduled on Feb 17th? 5

3. I have been reading bad things from lots of different sites that support weightloss surgeries and I would really like to know how many people in the last year had complications. SEE ANWER T0 #1. DUE TO OUR HIGH VOLUME OF PATIENTS THIS IS THE AVERAGE

4. What is the Doctors plans if a patient needs an ICU? IN 15 YEARS WE HAVE NEVER NEEDED IT. IF NEEDED, WE HAVE A CONTRACT WITH RED CROSS HOSPITAL ACROSS THE STREET.

My wife is just concerned because I will not have access to an emergency room while I am away Offshore in the gulf of mexico. Sorry for the questions but I had to ask. OF COURSE!!!

(null)

GREAT info! Thanks Capt Derel! :)

http://www.obesityhe...-Almanza-Reyes/

http://www.verticals...s/page__st__480

http://www.gastricsl...-almanza-4.html

That's a couple stories, google Dr Almanza complications and search through.

Yeah I read them partially.

Smear campaign. Lmao. Its bad when a board owner has to step in. Why dont they have a sticky for each doctor in mexico. And each person has to enter their name and surgery date and outcome?

It would appear as a bargraph of how many people used each doctor. That would be the best way to view who goes to who and gives feedback on outcomes

(null)

Capt Derel

Thank you for asking those questions. It is good to know there is a red cross hospital across the street if there is anything awful. I was wondering what would happen if that did occur. I appreciate it!