Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinion Of Dr Almanza And His Facility In Tijuana

I am contemplating gastric sleeve surgery with Dr Almanza in the near future. I'd love to hear the good and bad with regard to him and his facility/care. I am trying to be as educated as I can and rely on your expertise. if you have suggestions for places I can look for information on this doctor I'd also be very grateful. Mexico is the only option for me. I am paying for the surgery myself.

thank you

I am going there on the 5th of January. I'll let you know after then.

Thank you so much! Wishing you the very best and a speedy recovery!!!! I want to hear about your whole experience!!! including your flight home with a sore tummy!

Becky

I had my surgery there on March 14, 2011. I had an excellent experience with the staff and doctor. I have lost 90 lbs and met my goal of 140. He was one of the very few i which I could afford and I'm so happy I chose him.

I am sooo happy to hear that! thank you for taking the time to respond to me and congratulations on reaching your goal! any suggestions for things to take with me? thank you again!

I think he's an experienced surgeon. I originally chose him but decided to go in another direction for a couple reasons: There was a armed robbery at his facility in September (not a rumor - his coordinator verified this for me). He does several surgeries per day, which I didn't feel was optimal for focus and concentration. He doesn't speak English, so it's difficult to communicate your needs/fears, etc. to him. He does the surgeries at a clinic in a strip mall NOT a hospital; heaven forbid, if something were to happen, there's no ICU. You go to a recovery house to recover; it is crowded; sometimes there are up to five people in one room. That did not sound appealing to me. He also uses stitches you have to remove yourself when you get home (or go to a doc to do it for you); I didn't want to deal with that. That being said, most people do well with him and have no issues. Do your research on this forum and others; google his name. There are other doctors in Mexico who are slightly more but have better track records, imo. Just my two cents.

thank you, I appreciate your input!

I think he's an experienced surgeon. I originally chose him but decided to go in another direction for a couple reasons: There was a armed robbery at his facility in September (not a rumor - his coordinator verified this for me). He does several surgeries per day, which I didn't feel was optimal for focus and concentration. He doesn't speak English, so it's difficult to communicate your needs/fears, etc. to him. He does the surgeries at a clinic in a strip mall NOT a hospital; heaven forbid, if something were to happen, there's no ICU. You go to a recovery house to recover; it is crowded; sometimes there are up to five people in one room. That did not sound appealing to me. He also uses stitches you have to remove yourself when you get home (or go to a doc to do it for you); I didn't want to deal with that. That being said, most people do well with him and have no issues. Do your research on this forum and others; google his name. There are other doctors in Mexico who are slightly more but have better track records, imo. Just my two cents.

I have some things to say on this. He IS very experienced like you said and:

1) The armed robbery was in late August. I was there September 2nd for my surgery. It was at the recovery house and it was an inside job, which is why the person was able to get in. They dealt with it though and the staff that is there now is amazing.

2) Most surgeons do several surgeries a day. He doesn't do above the norm in my opinion.

3) He doesn't speak very good English, but his staff does and they will translate for you. He's working on it.

4) I live in Houston. There are TONS of surgery centers here no bigger than a strip mall unit and usually laparoscopic procedures can be done in them as outpatient procedures. The same is true in many other cities.

6) You go to a recovery house where there is a nurse that will take out your IV port and your drain. There are 2 nice full bathrooms, 1 half bathroom and there is one large room with 5 single beds and 2 other smaller rooms with 2 single beds. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are kept cool and dark in the evening. Plus, Sylvester will give you massages (tip him well, he works there for room and board but it not paid.. :( )

7) There are many other facilities that if you travel to you'll have to take out your exterior incisions or have your doctor do so. Not sure what you expect. I had my husband take mine out after 12 days. It took 5 minutes and was no big deal.

Overall, I am pleased with my experience. Dr. Almanza is friendly and the nurses were EXCELLENT. I even have one "friended" on Facebook. LOL. I had a not-so-great reaction to the general anesthesia, but that is not their fault.

I went with him 11-2-11. Everything went great! Dr Almanza and all staff were wonderful. Surgery center and recovery house was extremely clean. I recommend it and plan to go back there to have plastic surgery in the future. I've lost 40 # in 2 months with no postop complications. My only complaint is that I'm pretty tired but that is common. Best wishes.

thank you all for your comments! so very appreciated! I am 5'6" 205. hopefully I will have as great an experience as all of you have had and lose this weight!

I think you need to do A LOT of research before going to him. After 2 years of being on this board, and then the board was wiped clean after a format change a lot of good (not so good) info on him has been lost. Read read read and look for answers outside of this board.

I'm going in 3 weeks - will be happy to report my experience :)

Me too! I scheduled myself for the surgery just this morning! My date is 1/27

Me too! I scheduled myself for the surgery just this morning! My date is 1/27

Yay! I have a surgery date twin! See you there! :) I'm so excited!