Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help? 17 Days Postop, Nauseated, Can't Eat Or Take Meds, This Post May Be A Little Gross, Sorry!

I have felt so bad the past few days. Went to the Dr Friday he gave me a new dissolvable med for acid. He told me start trying some soft foods since I can't stomach Soups anymore. Saturday I took the new med and tried to sip liquids. Everyone I think of eating I get sick. I've tried everything! Yesterday I vomited after taking the prevacid. Sipped liquids all day. Tried applesauce and a couple small bites sweet potato for dinner. Started burping a very disgusting taste. Made me feel so sick. Took my medicine dissolved in Water and then I started vomiting. It was that awful disgusting taste from burping earlier. Three days no food. I'm so discouraged! I want to cry! I have to find something I can eat. When do you guys take your meds? The Dr said to take the Reglan again for the nausea but it makes me sick too. Can anyone help? Please

im crying reading your post because i feel your pain. although im holding down food & liquids, the thought of Protein shakes makes me wants to put my head in a toilet bowl & throw up! im so weak & so discouraged. part of me really asks myself, "what have i done?" :'(

im praying for you..

I take my meds first thing in th am on an empty stomach. Have a shower, read the paper, etc... Then have a tea and try some crackers or something really easy on the stomach. If you can handle the crackers, try some soft cheese with them later like cream cheese. I like ritz crackers, rather than the saltines, but whatever is easiest on your tummy.

Btw. Search the forums for acid/heartburn issues. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! IT GETS BETTER! Trust me. I was you, a few weeks ago too. I started by taking Zantac (OTC) which helped tremendously...but not enough. Doc put me on nexium, and it was a rough first few days, but now I feel like a new person. Get lots of rest, and if you are having troubles getting your Water in, go back to Popsicles, etc. keep us updated on how you're doing. (((hugs)))

Have you tried chicken boullion? That was the only thing that I managed to enjoy sipping the first week or so. I also take my meds first thing in the am.

Hold on, it gets better! I'm 5 weeks out from my surgery. Still get a little queezy after I eat but not so bad any more.

Awww, sorry your struggling. It does get better. Lots of HUGS and KISSES! ;)

I too am sorry you are feeling so bad, question do you have a cpap machine? I have recently learned that machine can fill your tummy with air, you are full and are not eating. The other thing is seriously, you need to get Fluid down. If you can't eat not so bad and don't worry about the meds. First and foremost you need to stay hydrated. Take it a step at a time. 17 days is a long spell - try to get some gatorade down you need the ellectrolites. I drink G2 it does not have all the sugar. Then move slowly - Water does bother some tummys. Go back to the basics, if no chicken broth get a cup o noodles, make it and just drink the broth from that - a little less oily in my opinion. If that sticks with you, try some simple split pea Soup - it is a little thicker and just lick the spoon if that is all you can do. THEN try to get some of the meds in - specifically the acid reducer.

Let us know how it goes, if you can't get anything on board, you need to go back to the doctor or the ER for fluids.

I wish you the best,

Sandy

Not that this is the most pleasant form of administration, but they make anti-nausea drugs in suppository form, if you can't keep anything down.

When I was pregnant with both kids, I was nauseous and sucked on sugar-free lemon candies. I also ate candied ginger. Both helped, a little.

I really hope things turn around for you very soon.. Hang in there I'm sure it will ---- Prayers to you

GNC the health food/ body building store has a pre made clear, non milky Protein drink called ISO pure. 40 grams of Protein in 20 oz. They are kinda spendy, about $4 a bottle, but I find it a good way to get over my aversion to Protein drinks. I think www.dietdirect.com carries a smaller version too. They are fruity flavored almost like a not so sweet tart and best cold. Might be worth a try?

Also make sure you wait the 30 minutes before eating and drinking. It can cause that especially early on. Secondly if you can't keep anything down, you may be getting dehydrated and need to get rehydrated. Drink slow small sips. Keep to the fluids until you can tolerate mushies again. Maybe strained cream Soups? No Tomato, the acid not good. Potato, mushroom, brocoli, asparagus cream Soup strain well. Popcicles too as said above. Jello..and gradually add to it, slowly. I hope you get better.

I am 2 years post op. I had such severe nausea since immediately after surgery that lasted a few weeks. In the hospital, the nausea was so bad that when the wave came on, I couldn't move or talk. The nurses had to keep running in because my heart rate went dangerously high every time I got a wave of nausea. None of the oral or IV nausea meds worked. The only one that helped was a Compazine suppository, and they sent me home with some too.

Luckily, it does go away. And the others are right; you need to stay hydrated. I got so dehydrated that at 2 weeks post op I was directly admitted to the ICU with DVT's and a massive saddle pulmonary embolism. Nothing to be messed with, 4 different doctors told me that when I passed out it should have been me dead and collapsing to the ground.

Good luck to you!

Are you any better? If not, you need to get into the dr. to see if you're dehydrated. Dehydration causes nausea.

Please let us know how you are doing!

I take several pills first thing in the am and I have found that one mini babybel cheese eaten just before taking the pills keeps me from getting nauseous. You're probably not up to cheese yet, but it may help down the road.

I sent you a long pm, so I'll just say good luck!!

Lissa

well i am now where u are! i cant eat. food makes me so sick. i can keep liquids down but the smell of food makes me want to throw up my life! i even saw a picture of a hamburger & it was so gross