Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Okay, Swizzly, what exactly is "primal"- kinda low carb? So, if I understand it correctly, primal meaning what would have been available for early residents of Earth! lol Mainly, meat, veggies, fruits (within reason). Do you do any dairy at all? Like cheese? But not starches, grains, breads, etc.

Do you ever eat any thing like oatmeal?

Okay, Swizzly, what exactly is "primal"- kinda low carb? So, if I understand it correctly, primal meaning what would have been available for early residents of Earth! lol Mainly, meat, veggies, fruits (within reason). Do you do any dairy at all? Like cheese? But not starches, grains, breads, etc.

Hiya. It's kinda paleo-ish, but with dairy (which, YES, I eat TONS of, daily) -- my favorite source for this (reco'ed by two doctors actually) is Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Yeah, no starches or grains, though I eat potatoes sometimes, the ones in Europe (where I live) are lower in starch than the US ones. I do MISS oatmeal, so I will have it every now and then. But ruling out grains (esp wheat) makes it so easy to just pass up on things that would otherwise derail me. But I love cheese, yogurt, butter, eggs, etc. -- I eat a LOT of it every day. ;-)

Okay, friends, I just copied this from another topic. I watched the video and OMG, i will BE making this! Pasta made from chicken! NO CARBS, gluten free, low calorie. And EASY.

Here is the link http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/rocco-dispiritos-pasta-al-pomodoro/

Whoa .. that's the craziest "pasta" recipe I've ever seen, but I'd totally try it - just have to get a squeeze bottle!

Aside from sweets, which have always been my downfall, I generally have a pretty easy time keeping low carb. I've found some really wonderful recipe blogs to create the occasional treat (pancakes, muffins, biscuits) with almond flour or other substitutes, but I generally don't miss bread, potatoes, rice or Pasta. I did get a spiral cutter to make "spaghetti" out of zucchini, though that's definitely better with heartier sauces. I used to make Pasta carbonara once or twice a year, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be so great with zucchini. I might have to make it for my husband and have something else for me. Popcorn's another weakness - I have no self control on portions with popcorn, and no restriction. Not sure whether it awakens the carb monster for me, but I generally try to just avoid it.

Swizzly recommended this to me... We started to eat primally at the start of the new year... And although I only lost a pound ( remember, I had been in a stall for nearly 18mths) I felt and still feel so much better- it was relatively easy to follow... We did it in stages, a couple of days reducing then eliminating different foods. My hubby has lost 28lb! In three mths! By eating this way!

Have a look at the web site- I even bought the book, very interesting.

Oh, and it does like intermediate fasting too... Can't be any harm in trying it!

Hi All,

Have ye heard of the South Beach Diet?

It is a heart friendly diet and easy for us to do since we are sleeved.

Whenever I follow it I feel good and lose weight.

I still believe that it is the most healthy long term eating plan.

So why am I not following it now??

I will , when I get serious again.

bookleen

South Beach is a very healthy one, for sure. I used to use a ton of recipes from one of the bloggers who is a South Beach expert. However, post-sleeve -- for me -- it's too low fat. Plus it uses a ton of legumes, which I don't eat. (I also follow a low-fibre diet, so I focus on lower-fibre veg.)

As a vegetarian, South Beach is the best plan I ever tried. It is a modestly low carb plan that you can follow as a vegetarian. I still use some of the principles in the way I eat. No way of doing Atkins or Paleo as a veg. I did read about one guy that was a palio veg, but I think he did eat eggs. Spartan! One of my main sources of Protein is wheat! I make seitan steaks and BBQ them in yummy sauces or make big roasts to slice for sandwitches or rollups, and the protein is almost as high as meat. I do not have any problems with eating wheat gluten that I can tell.

Yeah, Feed, I'm going to incorporate some fruit in soon like southbeach. I can't live without fruit. Do you ever get bloated from so much wheat? I imagine , though, your system is used to the way you eat and adjusts accordingly. I think about the fact that I want to just not THINK about eating and lifestyle all the time which if I had just not allowed myself to self indulge in so much junk I wouldn't be re-losing the same pounds. Lol. But, it is what it is. I know now what can happen even with the sleeve and once I feel comfortable that I can maintain what I've lost , I'll allow myself some leeway but try HARD to not do this again! Have a great weekend!

I'm not sure I really eat a LOT of wheat, I do eat more gluten than most on some days. I eat whole grains, but keep the portions in control. I eat more crackers than bread... choose whole grain, and oatmeal many days of the week. I stay away from white potatoes most of the time, eat sweet corn now and then, I just write it all down in myfitnesspal... according to their measurements, I eat less carbs, more Fiber, more fat than they would like,and way more Protein. Eating more protein and less carbs does make weight loss(maintaining) easier, and I tip the scale that way to a degree, but not the same as some of you guys. I just don't think I could live that way long term, trying to find the middle ground and get a well rounded diet of vegetarian, whole organics as much as possible. Lots of raw veg and fruits, home grown and local when possible (Im getting salads out of my garden already) and trying to keep the crazy eating down to a minimum... processed sweets, deep fried stuff,extra salty Snacks, artificial coloring and added sugars. I do eat some of this poison, but try to Portion Control it and just say no most of the time. I am not a model "sleever" by any means, but am just trying to find my way for the long run, just like you all. My body is more fit than it has been for years, weightlifting is starting to show... not buff or anything, but feeling stronger and a little bit more shaped up. Im going into my 60s feeling like I can still do physical stuff and enjoy it, dancing, gardening, just took up birdwatching and plan on some treks soon...I wear skinny jeans and just started wearing my hair blue in honor of all the "blue hairs" that have gone before me! (OK, Im a bit of a punk) Cheers ladies, have a nice weekend!

FYI!

You so rock! No way are you near 60! Oh, I'm jealous of your hair! (Mine, although better, is still fine and and I don't dare to colour it)

Your diet, and out look is perfect for long term success, health and well being and that is why I hold you and your opinions so highly!

FYI!

You so rock! No way are you near 60! Oh, I'm jealous of your hair! (Mine, although better, is still fine and and I don't dare to colour it)

Your diet, and out look is perfect for long term success, health and well being and that is why I hold you and your opinions so highly!

When I get it grown out a little more I will post a pic! My hair is finally getting thicker...two years later! It still has lots of short pieces sticking out here and there... but they are growing out, and I lose less hair when I wash... but still some...

NannieG....Yay, glad to see you back as well!

I've been basically counting calories over at caloriecount.about for a long time now. (Obv. not when I spent some of 2012 regaining weight, there wasn't a whole lotta tracking going on from April-Dec.ooops) but I find that I eat much of the same foods day to day. And I will go in spurts, like I will eat a greek yogurt everday then stop for a while. Same with hard boiled eggs. Will do them for a few days then not.

I honestly haven't googled Paleo though hearing LOTS about it. I think we all need to do wahtever works for us. One reason that I feel like I was a slow loser was because I didn't want to swear off certain foods for life. I went to one of my surgeon's seminars as a person on his pateint panel (I like to call them dog and pony shows because it's where everyone sits and listens for 2 hours and then signs up for appts with him) and there was a RNY lady there who had done quite well with her surgery, even had the Tummy Tuck, etc and said "You would have to put a gun to my head to make me eat a potato, or rice, bread now" and I thought...OMG who doesn't love sneaking an occassional french fry? I picked the sleeve because I didn't want the death penalty if I eat some ice cream or a french fry.

That being said sometimes it gets exhausting being so on-top of what I put in my mouth. I think that is part of the reason I fell off the wagon...the sheer dedication it takes to maintain...well, that isn't from surgery that ends up being on us.

Well, sorry for rambling...My hair is also somewhat recovered. I've been considering growing it longer but cant' seem to get past where I am. Sigh

Hello to All,

Just dipping in and out of these posts at the moment but not fully back yet, and definitely not committed yet.

I have been "free lancing "for the past 18 months approx and had actually forgotten about my sleeve or weight issues. It's true.

It hasn't been a severe but it has been a long dragged out Winter here. I am heading off for a sun holiday next weekend and really looking forward to it. I am now looking at Summer clothes and can see that they are tight! Still I have enough that will do. Refuse to buy a bigger size.

When I get home I will weigh myself and declare to you all the damage done in 18 months!

For the past 4 weeks I have stopped eating wheaten bread and since I had no will power to cut out bread altogether I substituted a multi-grain gluten free bread and I think I am feeling better. Not as bloated.

Have any of you noticed problems with sleep since you were sleeved?

Bookleen

Anybody got a really good idea WHY we don't/can't lose these dadgum (good old southern word) pounds once we reach goal/setpoint? I have always lost weight easily and DID even lose quickly with VSG. I regained over a period of months 12-13 lbs and boy, it's like pulling teeth to get these things to go away. I have religiously (well, maybe one small slip here and there) truly been rigid with low carb and I have, on a GOOD day, lost 5 lbs in a month. And today, 3 lbs on a BAD day! lol Down 2, up 2, down, up two, down one, up two. You get the picture.

Even though I am really at a somewhat normal weight/BMI 24.9 right now, it looks like I could STILL lose weight again after 3 years like before.

What do you think happens to our metabolisms/bodies that changes this so drastically? I mean, if I even have a BITE of something with high calorie/carbs it seems I lose the ground I have fought hard for in a MUCH shorter time frame. Ha!

I know you all have the same issues. We've discussed. But really??? Is my body so rigid now that I'm going to have to be this strict for LIFE to be able to MAINTAIN??? Yikes!!

I say this with some humor because I am "okay" with where I am, I'd LIKE to get back to my low bounce area and hold it but seems like it ain't happening! (and I want to be at the same weight I was last year when I went for my annual with surgeon. lol)

Peace!