Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

“@WomensHealthMag: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.”—Winston Churchill #nevergiveup

Says it all!

OMG, Coops! I KNEW IT! I knew you would see the 150's soon. It's real, I have no doubt my friend! I had forgotten about this thread and so many apologies to those who have been faithful with their updates.

I'm just shy of 2.5 years post-op and I was lazy in my 2nd year and from Apr 2012 - Dec 2012 gained about +20lbs. NOT GOOD. So I'm working it off, and I just have to say how totally unfair it is for it to come on so fast but how it takes it sweet time leaving. I'm down -9lbs since Jan. 1, 2013 and it is only because I've been quite dilligent with tracking my food, calories+carbs+Protein. Big effort. Also because I'm exercising 5-6 days a week. But it is just a S L O W process and there are many days that I resent the fact that I exist on basically 900-1,200 calories a day and don't see big losses on the scale. But that is my issue so I need to just vent about it and get over it. Sigh.

Hey my lovely friend....

Ha! 159 is now bouncing to 160!! It was nice to see it for a day or two!

Glad to see you back with us! I've missed you!

Remember to let us know how you're doing!

Hugs across the pond x

You look good NannieG. I too have gained some, but have managed to stabilize and not keep gaining so that is good. I just posted something about gaining after the honeymoon period....I was researching the studies that show the percentage of Excess Weight Loss (EWL) averages...some up to 6 years after surgery. I posted this along with some other comments somewhere else, so apologies if any of you have read this before....here are my stats so far:

90 lbs goal (100% Excess weight loss)

85 lbs highest weight lost (94.4% EWL)

65 lbs current weight lost (72.22% EWL)

In one study I found:

The patients who received only a SG (n = 75) had %EWL of 53.6, 65.8 and 62.6 % after 6, 12 and 24 months, respectively.

Revisional Procedures After SG Over the total observation period of 24 months, a second operation to induce weight loss was required in 25.0 % (25) of the patients to develop further weight loss or amelioration on comorbidities. Three patients underwent RYGBP and 22 patients DS.

http://www.medscape....warticle/771803

here is info from another study… not new studies…. shows 53% EW kept off at 6 years...

http://www.thinnerti...candidates.html

72% is not bad in this light, of course I would like to lose that 20, and I will keep trying... but no shame in 72%.

FYI

72% is about the same as me....I would say that it is pretty bloody fantastic!

I too would, ultimately like to lose 20 (plus a bit) and, yea, I've worked out that it is going to take time... I think at this stage in the game, time is something we have!

How is the higher cal working... Do you feel better?

I eat macadamia nuts pretty much daily to get some more healthy cals in.

“@WomensHealthMag: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.”—Winston Churchill #nevergiveup

Says it all!

Loving that Churchill quote NannyG!

Glad you've found us!

How are you finding ditching the junk food...when you say low carb do you mean. No white- bread, rice, Pasta etc. I find that when I ditch white flour, wheat and excessive sugar my whole body just feels better!

This site really has helped me stay on course and although I haven't (yet) met goal, I haven't had a regain either (I have a 3-4lb bounce range).

I've had a rough couple of days, very emotional and teary ... Silly billy that I am!

Anyway, not been eating very well... No structure as my appetite is all over the shop, one day I am not hungry, next day I'm starving but my sleeve feels tighter so I can't eat much, then I get the head hunger, which I thought I'd gotten rid of!!!

Oh dear me, such a drama... Anyway, scale is now stuck at 160... But with what's going on I'm ok with that, for now! At 18 days post TT I know I've just gotta focus on healing - getting rid of this seroma! So basically, I'm doing nothing but sat on my butt, making a cuppa, sat on my butt and walking to the loo and back!

I'm getting bored too, so I have to be careful not to start eating crap!

Wish me luck!

FYI

72% is about the same as me....I would say that it is pretty bloody fantastic!

I too would, ultimately like to lose 20 (plus a bit) and, yea, I've worked out that it is going to take time... I think at this stage in the game, time is something we have!

How is the higher cal working... Do you feel better?

I eat macadamia nuts pretty much daily to get some more healthy cals in.

72%! Im in good company then! I have gone into a "cut" phase, I cut my cals by 200 a day...still eat my exercise cals back. Its hard to make that 200 cut... at the end of the day my head says "where is my Peanut Butter and apple!?" its a journey for sure... I'm right there with you girl. Stay healthy!

Coops, yes, no "whites". The only problem is I find that after almost 3 weeks of this, I can't hardly stomach (ha!) anything of any Protein nature. Yuck! Just grilled chicken breasts, broccoli and green Beans and I might have eaten 3 bites! A couple of bites and then eck! lol I can manage Breakfast type meats - bacon, sausage, and an egg or two. I do eat nuts (and have to watch that because I will overeat those!) Today especially, things just taste "off."

I've found that my tastebuds are all mixed up now. The "thought" of something sounds really good but when the real thing hits my mouth, not so much. I'm sure all of you have this too. If you could just have a small amount of something and eat it with it tasting good, I think it would be okay. Somehow or another, that is not the case with me.

i do feel better just because I don't feel at all bloated and I have lost about 5 lbs (give or take a few ounces on a daily basis) and will continue with this but know that long term I couldn't just do total low carb.

Feedyoureye, I think the 72% sounds about right too. And after losing 100 lbs, keeping 75 off for LIFE seems really good, even though I will def try to keep it ALL off. I'm about 80% right now.

Coops, I say when that what ever it is goes away, you will be in the 150s permanently!

Hey, while I am thinking of it, I bought the book/recipes for FASTDIET (originating in UK). Anybody tried this concept. Alternate fast days. I think this would be excellent for me if it could be done correctly. (smile)

Hey!

I've never heard of the fastdiet (prepares to google it)... Sounds interesting!

Yea, defo no bloating with no white food and that alone is a great feeling. I had a piece of cheese on toast yesterday, thin bread, but boy, did I suffer.... Belching like a chap! Not pretty and not clever! It's been months since I last had that and I'm not in a rush to repeat it either!

NannyG, have you tried adding more oil and flavours to your meats- sorry if that is a stupid question- but I don't enjoy dry meat, and I kinda gets stuck, if that makes sense. So I use a lot of olive oil, soya sauce, herbs and spices to zing it up a little, especially pork! I usually have a variety of roast veg, again sprinkled with olive oil...it is yummy and moist. I find it easier to eat and digest.

It's good to see everyone here doing so well, and Coops - so awesome about your TT!

After getting a good solid 6 weeks of on track eating and exercise in, I was utterly derailed by free cupcakes at work in mid-February, and I've been battling the sugar monster ever since. I've regained everything I lost in 6 weeks, plus a few more. Honestly, I just don't know what the best approach for me is. On the one hand, after about a week on track things get SO much easier for me, and I don't really miss the sugar and carbs, but I wonder if I'm not setting myself up for a binge by cutting those things out completely. I'm really not an "in moderation" kind of girl though, most of the time "just a little" will awaken the sugar monster and send me into a spiral of weight gain. Ack....

All I know is, at the moment my clothes choices are getting REALLY limited, and I've had to start digging the larger sizes out of my closet. So time to climb back on the wagon.

I have my sugar demon woken up quite often........I walk around looking for chocolate....if I can't find some I'll eat a chocolate Protein Bar. I am in such a grazing rut right now and I need to get back on track tooo......So here's to tomorrow and getting back on track! No sugary chocolates for me....... Also need to exercise. I'm finding myself feeling a bit light headed these days and it totally bugs me.........

Coops' date=' yes, no "whites". The only problem is I find that after almost 3 weeks of this, I can't hardly stomach (ha!) anything of any Protein nature. Yuck! Just grilled chicken breasts, broccoli and green Beans and I might have eaten 3 bites! A couple of bites and then eck! lol I can manage Breakfast type meats - bacon, sausage, and an egg or two. I do eat nuts (and have to watch that because I will overeat those!) Today especially, things just taste "off."

I've found that my tastebuds are all mixed up now. The "thought" of something sounds really good but when the real thing hits my mouth, not so much. I'm sure all of you have this too. If you could just have a small amount of something and eat it with it tasting good, I think it would be okay. Somehow or another, that is not the case with me.

i do feel better just because I don't feel at all bloated and I have lost about 5 lbs (give or take a few ounces on a daily basis) and will continue with this but know that long term I couldn't just do total low carb.

Feedyoureye, I think the 72% sounds about right too. And after losing 100 lbs, keeping 75 off for LIFE seems really good, even though I will def try to keep it ALL off. I'm about 80% right now.

Coops, I say when that what ever it is goes away, you will be in the 150s permanently!

Hey, while I am thinking of it, I bought the book/recipes for FASTDIET (originating in UK). Anybody tried this concept. Alternate fast days. I think this would be excellent for me if it could be done correctly. (smile)[/quote']

I'm very intrigued by this FastDiet. I have personally done something similar on previous diets (kind of like the "Wendy Plan" on Weight Watchers). I googled it for more info and may order the book from Amazon. Seems like we could easily do this and still follow our high Protein goals needed after VSG.

The primal eating plan I (mostly) follow includes fasting whenever you want. I like that -- I am not a breakfast girl and now feel free to skip it when I want to. Same with sometimes just skipping a meal or two. Feels good to do now and then, like giving my body a break.

Hmmmm this is something that I like.... Primal eating is a concept of skipping a meal. I just read a little of fastdiet and it appears we've been pretty much doing the fast diet the first 4 to 5 months.......This is still doable for me.

I'm really interested in doing it but.... :) wondering if allowing myself to "eat anything reasonablly" will work. I'm doing serious low carb and and sick, sick, sick of it but sticking it out because you tend to lose faster but I don't think it is sustainable for me long term. I THINK I could really enjoy this since two days, I would basically LOW CARB it for the 500 calories "fast" days and the other days add fruit, low cal portion controlled whatever. I think this would be more "maintenance" for us NOT weight loss it seems to me. Now, if you had a lot to lose or your body was not in the mode ours is in from long term weight loss, I think it would be a great loss plan.

thoughts? I first thought I'm going to do that NOW, then I started losing on low carb to get the "re-gain" off and now scared to change! lol

Might not work for ANYONE but me -- but...I follow primal eating about 80%. I definitely do not eat ANY grains or legumes (except Peanut Butter LOL). I also don't eat carbs in general...except for chocolate and wine. So yeah -- I do an 80/20 approach with mostly primal (which I love) + some little things that keep me feeling like I'm not being deprived. Giving up wheat is 95% of it, cos everything yummy and bad for you has wheat in it. LOL.