Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Help. What Did You Do With Very Slow Losses?

I am getting frustrated at the slow weight loss. I lost 15 pounds preop, then 5 pounds one week out, then 3 pounds, then 2 pounds, and last week a big 1 pound. This is my fifth week out and there's been only 1 pound loss so I now understand what a stall feels like.

I do pilates twice a week followed by cardio. I will up my cardio to 5 times a week beginning tomorrow. I get my Water in, but the past couple of weeks it has been difficult to get more than 60-70g of Protein down. The only meat I eat is fish and that makes it a bit more challenging, but I can work around it.

What did you do, if you were a slow loser? I'm starting to wonder if I will ever see a 40 pound loss! Since surgery 5 weeks ago, I have only lost 12 pounds and 8 of them were in the first 2 weeks! Is this normal?

If you had a lower bmi to start with, it's common not to lose as fast as people who have a lot more to lose.

I never lost consistently every week. I would go maybe 3 weeks without losing anything and then suddenly drop 5 lbs in one week.

You're doing everything right. My nutritionist told us that how much Protein you need depends on your height. 60-70 grams may just be enough for you.

i haven't been sleeved long but i am a natural athlete so i can help you see more of a difference..

to start with you can get more Protein in your diet than just eatting meat/ fish, their are a lot of Protein in eggs, Beans, tofu, nuts, as well as just getting in a Protein shake for the extra.

Also, if you have been exercising lot, doing free weights or even just cardio you will be building lean muscle and as you do that and you lose fat, you have to understand that you might even gain weight.. muscle is much more dense than fat, which in return means it weighs more. So that might be why you havent seen a drastic reduction in weight.

I normally say pay attention to how your close fit, even if you don't see a drop on the scale notice if things are tighter or looser.

i hope that helps a little. good luck and don't get discourged this early in the game. you will continue to lose. and just like daisy said if you started with a lower bmi, then you will lose at a slower rate than someone with a higher one, since they have more fat to lose.

My response to when my scale moved slowly: Just kept trying harder. :)

I can see that your BMI is lower, (32 now?) So you will definately lose more slowly. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come off! It seems horrible and heartbreaking at the time but the scale WILL move again! I had 3 weeks with zero loss and I thought I chopped my stomach out for no reason-- but then the scale moved again! You will lose the weight. Hang in there!

My surgery was 2 weeks ago and I have lost 18 pounds. The thing is I have stalled and have not lost any more weight for a week and I am kinda worried. I know it is silly to worry, but I don't want to stay this weight. My BMI was 53. I am still on a liquid diet and have moved to the full liquids (protein shakes). Tell me not to worry.

My response to when my scale moved slowly: Just kept trying harder. smile.png

Good approach! Mine is to be STUBBORN and just wait it out. Oh I guarantee you Ms Stall, I can outlast you any day and twice on Sunday, so BRING IT ON. Eventually it gives up and slinks away for a while...

My surgery was 2 weeks ago and I have lost 18 pounds. The thing is I have stalled and have not lost any more weight for a week and I am kinda worried. I know it is silly to worry, but I don't want to stay this weight. My BMI was 53. I am still on a liquid diet and have moved to the full liquids (Protein shakes). Tell me not to worry.

Dont worry! From what i have read, you have hit the "3 week stall" it seems to happen to a lot of people!

Thanks, I needed to hear that.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions! I guess I will wait it out and try harder by increasing my exercise.

I think too many of us focus on the fast losers when we're planning for surgery and then we assume that once we're sleeved the weight is going to just fly off.

Not everyone is so lucky.

My starting weight is close to your preop weight but you must be taller than my 5'1" and some change because my BMI was much higher at your current weight.

I was a slow loser. Slower, I guess. There are a handful of people here that are even slower than I was. It took me 17 months to hit goal, to lose 107 pounds.

You cannot compare yourself to everyone else. If you're doing the right things and still losing, the sleeve is working. You can try to adjust your food or exercise for a better result but I caution you against doing anything drastic that you won't be able to maintain. Part of why the sleeve is great is that it does away with the need for that diet mentality and helps you build positive habits you can maintain forever. Some folks cut the carbs down to 20 a day, something I consider extreme, but if they can live their lives that way and get great results then it works for them.

My biggest piece of advice isn't one you'll like, but it's something you're going to have to get used to at some point or another. RELAX.

That's it. Because this isn't a race. I promise you, 85% of your stomach just got removed from your body so you're going to lose weight. I see this over and over and over again on the boards - people just so frustrated and worked up because they expected to lose the weight faster, or people that get mad because they feel they didn't need the surgery if they were going to be slow losers.

It took me 17 months to reach goal. It took me 17 YEARS to go from where I am now to my high weight. Am I any less pleased with my success because it took me longer to get here? Nope. I'm happy as can be.

Track your food. Eat responsibly. Get your Protein in, drink your Water, start moving more. In six months you're going to be posting that you're nearly to goal. Give your body a chance to recover from the fact that it's lost 27 pounds and undergone a major surgery the last two months. And yes, even if you want to break the scale sometimes, and even if you don't lose for two weeks of the month (like me) you're going to lose this weight.

So, RELAX.

~Cheri

I think too many of us focus on the fast losers when we're planning for surgery and then we assume that once we're sleeved the weight is going to just fly off.

amen.gif

You are doing fine Veda. :-)

Veda, I think if you'll take a closer look at people's tickers on this site you'll find you're doing just fine! Yes there are people who lose pounds really quickly, but they're generally (1) men (da## their fast metabolisms!), (2) much higher BMI, or (3) much younger. Also, I think most of us have a certain number of "easy" pounds to lose - Water retention, or whatever. Those of us who did a pre-op diet got those out off the way already. I started with a BMI of about 37 (before pre-op diet), and I averaged closer to 10 pounds a month loss. 6 months out, I'm in the normal BMI range, and less than 5 pounds from my surgeon's goal, and my losses are slowing a bit.

You should also account for the usual 3rd week stall most people experience.

In short, you're doing great!! I know it's more exciting to see the scale numbers plummet, but honestly, at your weight you've ot plenty of time to make it to goal. This part of your journey is really about developing the new habits with food that will help you STAY at goal in the years to come!! Slightly slower losses help minimize saggy skin too!

Please, don't make yourself crazy trying to speed up your losses. Stick with the plan, get your Protein in to help with healing, get some exercise in as you can to keep your metabolism going, and you'll do great!

Not everyone is so lucky.

My starting weight is close to your preop weight but you must be taller than my 5'1" and some change because my BMI was much higher at your current weight.

I was a slow loser. Slower, I guess. There are a handful of people here that are even slower than I was. It took me 17 months to hit goal, to lose 107 pounds.

You cannot compare yourself to everyone else. If you're doing the right things and still losing, the sleeve is working. You can try to adjust your food or exercise for a better result but I caution you against doing anything drastic that you won't be able to maintain. Part of why the sleeve is great is that it does away with the need for that diet mentality and helps you build positive habits you can maintain forever. Some folks cut the carbs down to 20 a day, something I consider extreme, but if they can live their lives that way and get great results then it works for them.

My biggest piece of advice isn't one you'll like, but it's something you're going to have to get used to at some point or another. RELAX.

That's it. Because this isn't a race. I promise you, 85% of your stomach just got removed from your body so you're going to lose weight. I see this over and over and over again on the boards - people just so frustrated and worked up because they expected to lose the weight faster, or people that get mad because they feel they didn't need the surgery if they were going to be slow losers.

It took me 17 months to reach goal. It took me 17 YEARS to go from where I am now to my high weight. Am I any less pleased with my success because it took me longer to get here? Nope. I'm happy as can be.

Track your food. Eat responsibly. Get your Protein in, drink your Water, start moving more. In six months you're going to be posting that you're nearly to goal. Give your body a chance to recover from the fact that it's lost 27 pounds and undergone a major surgery the last two months. And yes, even if you want to break the scale sometimes, and even if you don't lose for two weeks of the month (like me) you're going to lose this weight.

So, RELAX.

~Cheri

Thank you Cheri. I appreciate your input. This forum has been very informative and I feel better knowing what I will be going through. I have lost 19 pounds and I had the stall for about a week. I think I broke the stall today, because I lost 1 more pound. I realize this is going to take some time. I was just frustrated. I have been obese for so long and have wanted it off so badly that I guess I am getting a little impatient. I want to be healthy again and have the energy to do things with my family. I'm tired of being tired. New Year's is coming up. So, what will everyone's resolutions be? Mine- Continue on my journey and be happy along with eating healthy and staying on track.