Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

I am interested in hearing each of your responses relating to pain. Was it more or less than expected? Did you get adequate pain medicine?

I found the pain to be very manageable. I took the pain meds they gave me in the hospital, then only took one dose of the liquid pain meds at home and I was fine. I tend to have a fairly high pain tolerance and don't like the way pain meds make me feel in general, so that likely helped - but I was fine.

I only had l headache when I got home from the hospital. The only pain I felt after that was when I did too much and my incision site on the left with the larger incision would get sore. IT was no big deal.......Piece of cake......

Mine was much worse than expected...but I have also never had surgery before so I wasn't really sure what to expect. It would have been much easier if I was not extremely responsive to narcotics...I was dry heaving for 2 days straight and they gave me every anti nausea they had with no help. Dry heaving with the freshly made sleeve is not fun. Once the surgeon switched me off narcotics I have been fine. Never even took anything at home.

Mine was much worse then I thought it would be too, only in ths hospital though. I felt like I had gotten kicked in the ribs by a horse. Three days after surgery I was almost back to normal though.

Mine was much less than expected. I had my gallbladder out in 09 and I was cussing up a storm right out of recovery. When I was in recovery for my vsg I don't really remember much although I must have been funny cause the recovery nurse was laughing as I was talking to him. I was up walking around very soon after I got to the room. Yes, I was sore but nothing I could not handle. I do not consider myself to have a high pain tolerance.

My pain in the hospital was brutal- much worse than I expected and I think I have a pretty high tolerance. My surgeon found a hernia that had to be repaired, so that may have added to the discomfort. I am also very sensitive to catheters, so I felt like I really had to pee for the entire 3 hours in recovery. I walked the moment they took me to my room and immediately felt better. Then they took out the catheter and that felt better too. Once I got home the next day, I was achy and sore, but not enough to need to take the pain meds.

My pain is bad but it was what I expected. They gave me lortab liquid at home and I had morphine IV for the 2 days in the hospital. I have taken the pain meds- My main pain is in my neck and left side where the biggger incision is. I have not able to sleep in my bed all night yet. It hurts to bad. All in All it was what I expected...

Thank you for your responses. I am scared but have to do this.

I have had other surgeries besides the sleeve (gallbladder the old fashioned way, and an abdominal hysterectomy). The sleeve was much less painful than either one of those. It is more like other laparoscopic procedures I have had. The only really sore spot is the incision where they pull out the stomach. I took some pain meds in the hospital, and one pill the first night I was home. (I was only in the hospital one night). Haven't taken a pain pill since in the 10 months since surgery. I wore an abdominal support belt when I got home, and used a heating pad. Those helped the discomfort of getting up and down from the bed or the recliner.

I had only mild pain, such that I didn't take any pain medication at all once I was released from the hospital. It was mostly incisional-type pain, but quite tolerable--I do have a fairly high pain tolerance, I think, and I also hate the way prescription pain medication makes me feel, but I was able to move around and do what I needed to do without any trouble.

I told the hospital staff well in advance of my preference for non-narcotic pain meds (narcotics make me throw up), and it was fine all around.