Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken Crispers!

So my hubby totally loves these and so do I!! It's a great way to get your faux-frying skills on!!

What you need:

2 chicken Breasts (or 8 oz worth) (Cut into your choice of tender size)

1c Original Panko Breadcrumbs

1 Packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Seasoning

Barbecue Seasoning (to taste)

Onion powder (to taste)

Garlic Powder (to taste)

Ground Black Pepper (to taste)

Kosher Salt (a big pinch)

1 egg

Optional: You can use a cookie cooling rack to bake your chicken on and it allows it to get completely crispy on all sides, even the bottom!!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In one bowl beat egg. In another bowl mix together breadcrumbs and all dry ingredients (I keep it in a tupperware so if I have leftovers it doesn't get wasted). Place some of the breadcrumbs on a plate. Place chicken bits in egg to coat and shake off excess. Roll in breadcrumbs, and place on cookie rack (or cookie sheet). Repeat till all pieces are coated in crunchy goodness, adding excess breadcrumbs to plate as needed.

Place chicken in oven and cook for 15 mins (flip halfway throughout if using cookie sheet, no need to flip if using the rack) Set oven to broil and broil your crispers for 1-3 mins depending on how brown you like them. Remove and enjoy!!! I like them plain but you can serve with lowfat dressings, or low sugar bbq sauce! Let me know what you guys think :smile1:

Recipe yields 4 Post Op Portions

1 serving is 2 oz of chicken and nutritional facts are as follows (according to mfp recipe maker)

Calories: 208

Fat: 4

Protein: 15

Sugar: 1

Carbohydrates: 24

Yummy! I made baked chicken strips with a recipe almost identical to these for appetizers on Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit. But my recipe didn't include the ranch dressing seasoning and I want to add that now. Who knew that baked instead of friend could go over so well? Thanks!

You can sub wheat germ for some of the panko also and decrease a few of the carbs. Wheat germ gives it a nutty taste. I may make these for dinner tonight...Yum Kathe

I saw this and I thought you were talking about the chicken crispers from Chili's... which I just had (well I had one lol!) a few minutes ago!! I love these because, even though they are battered and fried... they go down so well. I don't eat the majority of the batter, just the chicken. It is so juicy and moist and easy to go down. I get it and "share" with my little sister. Between the two of us we normally bring home two or three!

Your recipe sounds yummy! I'll have to try it one day.

I thought about the Chipole BBQ Crispers from Chili's too! :) Those were so good! I am 4 days out of surgery.. and right now NOTHING appeals to me! Maybe someday! :)

Lol I didn't even know chili's had something called that, I haven't been to that restaurant in years haha, the closest one is like 2 hours away. I named them that because my hubby is super picky and only likes popcorn chicken so I named them chicken crispers so he wouldn't see them as nuggets and refuse to try them. (I know he's ridiculous but I love him lol)

When biting into Chili’s delicious trademarked chicken Crispers, I detect the distinct flavor of MSG, or monosodium glutamate. Although there is no English word for it, the Japanese call this flavor “umami”, and it delivers a taste sensation that is different from bitter, salty, sweet or sour flavors. This “fifth flavor” is created naturally by glutamic acid, and amino acid, and it can be found in mushrooms, ripe tomatoes, fish and dairy products. But rather that adding something like Accent flavor enhancer – which is pure MSG- to this recipe, I thought of another approach. To clone the flavorful batter for this Chili’s entrée, I decided to bring canned chicken broth into the mix. Most chicken broths, flavor- enhancing compounds that work just like MSG, amplifying flavors in much the same way. Plus, the chicken broth is made with other goodies such as carrot , onion and celery that will contribute to a tasty crunch coating. As for the fying Chili’s has recently switched to a shortening that contains no trans fat. So, if you want the best clone use shortening, but find the kind that has no trans fat. Crisco now makes a version and so dies smart balance. Shortening produces a superior clone and it will release less “fry smell” into your house but you can also use vegetable or canola oil if that’s what you are into.

Do you spray the pan or rack with anything? Or do they crisp with out anything?

I have never heard of Original Panko bread crumbs. Is this a brand? Or a flavor?

Sounds like a great recipe if I knew what to roll the chicken in! thanks!

Do you spray the pan or rack with anything? Or do they crisp with out anything?

I have never heard of Original Panko bread crumbs. Is this a brand? Or a flavor?

I'm not the original poster but I just thought I'd mention that for the ones I made (almost exact same recipe) for Thanksgiving, I made using crushed Ritz crackers in place of the Panko bread crumbs. Only because it was what I had in my cupboard. Might have been a little more fattening than the bread crumbs? But, I only ate one and my tummy was full. They were really good. I lined the Cookies sheet with aluminum foil and sprayed that lightly with Pam cooking spray before baking and flipped them over half way through so that both sides crisped up. So yummy and a healthier alternative to frying in oil.

Sounds really good. Works good for zucchini slices too.

One concern I have tho is about reusing the crumbs. If your chicken was in the egg first and then rolled in the crumbs and you reseal those crumbs to use again-what about the risk of salmonella contamination from the egg to the sealed crumbs?

DebiC, I think you misunderstood. She keeps the coating mix in a container after it is mixed so none is wasted. From that container, she puts some on a plate to coat the chicken. Hope that explanation helps. Kathe

The Panko bread crumbs I have in my pantry are made by Progresso (as in Progresso soup). They have a very different texture than the regular bread crumbs most people use. So Panko is more like a "style" of bread crumbs. You can find it at most major supermarkets.