Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Day out from surgery and scared

Hello fellow sleevers,

I have been on this forum reading all of your posts and your amazing progress for a couple of months. Now that I am 10 days out before surgery, I feel like I want to run. I am on the liquid pre-op diet and doing well, but I just keep thinking about what could go wrong. Did any of you feel this way before surgery?

Turtlegirl

I am 16 days away and I feel the same way sometimes! I am excited but really anxious at the same time. But I've come too far to back out and at this point I just keep telling myself "feel the fear and do it anyway"!!! I would suggest not reading anything about other people's complications or how they felt right after surgery....my feeling is that stuff will only make me worry :)

Hang in there....it won't be much longer and hopefully we'll both be on the other side!!!

Some feel anxious, I was looking forward to getting it done and moving on to a better life. I was able to drive the day after being released, was eating normally in 4 weeks, I pushed the limit and don't advise it but my doctor saw me after two weeks and I was one of best patients he had, felt strong and not run down.

If you follow the post op orders you should be fine. Try to relax and you should be fine.

I was so ready for surgery. I had very little worries as this was the best decision I ever made for myself. Just think of what your life is going to be like when you are thin and healthy. I had a hard time imaging shopping in regular stores but as I got closer to surgery time, I started looking at those style of clothes knowing that it wasn't going to be long before I buy in normal stores instead fo looking at big sized clothing that even my grandmother wouldn't wear. Hang in there and soon you will realize that there was no need to worry. Good Luck.

I was so ready for surgery. I had very little worries as this was the best decision I ever made for myself. Just think of what your life is going to be like when you are thin and healthy. I had a hard time imaging shopping in regular stores but as I got closer to surgery time, I started looking at those style of clothes knowing that it wasn't going to be long before I buy in normal stores instead fo looking at big sized clothing that even my grandmother wouldn't wear. Hang in there and soon you will realize that there was no need to worry. Good Luck.

Congratulations, I hope I feel the same way you do! I been asking this question and no one responds, what happen with the staples? my surgery is on 11/22 and I am a bit concern about that. Please give me hope and an answer.

I think you are feeling the normal pre surgical jitters. I am 17 days post op and my daughter is 12.days. I had some pain afterward, not to the point where I was miserable i took Liquid lortab for 5 days then did not need it. My daughter had some problem keeping fluids down and needed to stay in the hosp with the IV for a few extra days. But she had no pain, as not taken anything since day of surgery. She is doing very well now, walking a mile a day and going out with her friends.(she is 21) I went back to work at day 10, was tired but am doing good. Both of us would do it again at this point in time.

Pre surgery I would think to myself with everything I done how different this occasion/task will be a year from now. Like a bike ride on a beautiful fall day, Apple picking I will be able to walk thru the orchard without pain. etc.

Everyone's weight loss is different. Right now I am averaging 0.5-0.8 a day. I have never done that before.

Yes there are complications that can happen but the chances are very low, There are less than having a baby or gallbladder removal. Follow your Dr advice and take care of yourself and be excited for the new life that is in front of you.

I feel the samey way my surger is two weeks away on November 5th and I am going to Mexico alone...I feel nervous but at the same time I am thinking positive...looking forward to the years ahead beding healthy and off my meds...Good Luck on your Journey :D

My surgery is Nov. 2nd...and I have no real concerns. It is not different than any other surgery..all come with concerns and complication risk. However, this surgery will help me me healthier in the future.

I have prayed about it and feel confident that this is the right thing for me.

I trust my doctors and surgeon...and know I am in good hands. Positive thinking is a GREAT tool! :)

I wish you the very best! Calm your mind with prayer! God bless!

I definately had jitters and postponed my surgery. I now have it re-scheduled. Just needed to get my mind straight!

I am 7 days until surgery and still have moments where I am scared, but I know the payoff will be worth it. I have a 22 month old son and my fears are more for him, than myself. I know it will be tough, but I am excited about the new life it will bring for me and my family! Best wishes to you!

Yesterday, I freaked out and decided not to have surgery in the morning but in the afternoon, id changed my mind again! I suspect I'll be up and down like this for the next 2 weeks. However, I asked my personal trainer if she would add a 3d day for us to meet until the surgery and she agreed so I have that to look forward to on Friday and perhaps it won't be so terrible.

I greatly admire anyone who is going thru this completely alone. My friend had agreed to go to MX with me if I went there. But I'm gonna be in new haven not too far from home and still clutching at hher willing hand. I wonder what would be a suitable gift for this woman? Any suggestions are very welcome!

So, that's where I am. Right now, calm...but in 5 minutes, I might read or see something another person experienced as a negative and freak out. Plus the stupid ball game is on tv and I can't zone out to House! If the yankees don't play, there ought not be a series on tv! :)

Hello future sleevers;

Sounds like you are all preop and have the jitters. You are normal in your feelings but that does not mean you should be backing out or rescheduling unless you have not done your homework or do not trust your surgeon? Do you trust your surgeon? You understand there are some risks, limited risks. Do you know that WLS is for you? If you answer yes, read on.

Know why you are doing this VSG surgery. Write down the top 10 reasons you are doing this surgery so that you can look back on hard days ahead. Yes, this journey is not without bumps or a thought of "what have I done." I will start you off and you all are to add another reason.

VSG surgery is for me becasue:

1. I was overweight - I had tried so many other diets and could never keep the weight off for long periods of time. Yes, I really tried too.

2. I wanted to be healthy for me and healthy to enjoy my family. My kids hug me so tight and I can play on the floor with kids easily now.

3. I wanted to walk up stairs without huffing and panting

4. I wanted to wear a skirt or dress without shorts underneath so I do not get a rash on my thighs

5. I wanted to be happier when I look in the mirror and not have to listen to the angry voice of "such a pretty face, if you could only lose some weight"

6. I wanted to reduce my risk from future co-morbitities, cancers and other issues of overweight people

7. I knew I can do this, if given a fighting chance. I am willing to change and I can conquer my bad habits to ensure maintanance weight goal.

8. No, this is not cheating - I need this surgery to save me from me. Helped me be a winner I know I am inside. Let me look like I felt deep down, beautiful. Others now see me as I was always, if they had taken the time to know me. First impressions are so much easier now.

9. I want to have better chances at so many things on vacation or dream about doing someday. A helicoptor tour (weight limit of 250), a horse back ride, a roller coaster, a ballon ride, skydive, a bike ride on the beach. Wear a normal bathing suit on a public beach without shorts and a tshirt on all the time.

10. I wanted to not hide in the back of pictures or be the one always taking the picture.

Lastly - scroll down and read the NSV (non scale victory) section to inspire you. Good luck my furture sleevers. I have no regrets.

Congratulations, I hope I feel the same way you do! I been asking this question and no one responds, what happen with the staples? my surgery is on 11/22 and I am a bit concern about that. Please give me hope and an answer.

My staples was removed at my one week follow up. Very little pain at that time.

Thank you. This will be my official "If I have doubts, read this" Post

Hello future sleevers;

Sounds like you are all preop and have the jitters. You are normal in your feelings but that does not mean you should be backing out or rescheduling unless you have not done your homework or do not trust your surgeon? Do you trust your surgeon? You understand there are some risks, limited risks. Do you know that WLS is for you? If you answer yes, read on.

Know why you are doing this VSG surgery. Right down the top 10 reasons you are doing this surgery so that you can look back on hard days ahead. Yes, this journey is not without bumps or a thought of "what have I done." I will start you off and you all are to add another reason.

VSG surgery is for me becasue:

1. I was overweight - I had tried so many other diets and could never keep the weight off for long periods of time. Yes, I really tried too.

2. I wanted to be healthy for me and healthy to enjoy my family. My kids hug me so tight and I can play on the floor with kids easily now.

3. I wanted to walk up stairs without huffing and panting

4. I wanted to wear a skirt or dress without shorts underneath so I do not get a rash on my thighs

5. I wanted to be happier when I look in the mirror and not have to listen to the angry voice of "such a pretty face, if you could only lose some weight"

6. I wanted to reduce my risk from future co-morbitities, cancers and other issues of overweight people

7. I knew I can do this, if given a fighting chance. I am willing to change and I can conquer my bad habits to ensure maintanance weight goal.

8. No, this is not cheating - I need this surgery to save me from me. Helped me be a winner I know I am inside. Let me look like I felt deep down, beautiful. Others now see me as I was always, if they had taken the time to know me. First impressions are so much easier now.

9. I want to have better chances at so many things on vacation or dream about doing someday. A helicoptor tour (weight limit of 250), a horse back ride, a roller coaster, a ballon ride, skydive, a bike ride on the beach. Wear a normal bathing suit on a public beach without shorts and a tshirt on all the time.

10. I wanted to not hide in the back of pictures or be the one always taking the picture.

Lastly - scroll down and read the NSV (non scale victory) section to inspire you. Good luck my furture sleevers. I have no regrets.

Lisa,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. This certainly has been a roller coaster ride. Had my last nutrition class today and reality has set in. I agree with you that I have gone to far to go back now. Seven days to go. Whew!

[quote name=Lisa :)' timestamp='1319420848' post='221685]

I am 16 days away and I feel the same way sometimes! I am excited but really anxious at the same time. But I've come too far to back out and at this point I just keep telling myself "feel the fear and do it anyway"!!! I would suggest not reading anything about other people's complications or how they felt right after surgery....my feeling is that stuff will only make me worry :)

Hang in there....it won't be much longer and hopefully we'll both be on the other side!!!