Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

66 and sleeved!

If you are considering WLS, please don't let age deter you! More and more we senior citizens are doing it. Medicare is currently investigating the possibility of approving the VSG. I predict that they will approve it in March and when they do, the floodgates will open!

I am five days post-op and feel good. Not a lot of stamina, but I just had major surgery. No complications. Off the metformin and byetta and one BP med. I imagine that I will have days when I question why I did this, but so far, so good.

Congratulations on your surgery!! I'm 55 and 7 months out. I am glad I waited for the sleeve as opposed to having the RNY years ago. Good things come to those who wait!!! I love my sleeve and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll bet you will feel the same!

Hey, AZ senior...I'm due for my sleeve on november 7th. Thanks for writing this. This morning, I was watching the sleeve surgery videos and reading @ the pain nd decided NO way! I'm 66 and too old for this kind of invited trauma. Now you chime in just when I'm thinking negatively. Other thing thatg happened was a doc who swims at the same pool as I decided to tell me what a great thing I'm doing by coming to the pool so so frequently. So we chatted nd I told her @ the sleeve and sh encouraged me, too. Gee, we have a saying "meant to be"...I guess this was a sign that it is indeed "meant to be".

How much are you losing and are you still on Clear liquids? How is the reflux? Do u have it???

Hey RR,

Glad my words were encouraging. I have not weighed myself yet and am deliberating as to when. Considering doing it on my surgi-versary on Tuesday. I still feel somewhat bloated from the gas and I am afraid the number will set me off.

I have not had one bit of reflux since the surgery. I have had reflux for years, even when I was average size. I have taken nexium for years and it keeps it controlled. So, I am continuing with that. I do have a small hiatal hernia but my surgeon felt it was too small to mess with.

So far, so good. I agree---"meant to be"

Keep us posted!

[

I'm the same way: won't weigh myself unless I know I'll be pleased with the result. I worked so hard to lose these last 9 lbs I don't want to gain them back from surgery that's supposed to make me weigh less! Oh the irony!

Of course I will be in touch. I just need to get thru the next 14 days. (Clutching)

Congratulations, AZ. I appreciate your encouragement to those of us of a certain age, as I'm 62 and scheduled for Tuesday. Wish you well with your recovery and look forward to seeing your progress.

Hi, Free2b

How do you distract yourself when the doubts start to creep in? I almost wish I was still working so I could bury myself in other problems. Trying to muck through without thinking too much about it. I wonder if I should try to increase the number of times I meet the personal trainer just for these last 2 weeks? How do others deal with this stress?

Hi Really Rosy:

Just thought I would add to the "Chorus of 60's gals" to help you through this. I, like azsenior, am 66 years old and surgery went without a hitch. Yes, there was anxiety before and a million questions, and yes, there was a fair amount of pain the first couple of days after surgery, and yes, I did find myself (only) once questioning myself on what a ridiculous thing I was doing to myself!! BUT I am absolutely, positively sure it was the right thing to do for me. Like many others our age, we have been dieting most of our lives -- which are a lot of years!! I finally came to the conclusion after trying EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) that I iwasn't capable of losing weight and keeping it off on my own. Then I started thinking of my 25 or 30 years left to live, and decided without much trouble at all that I simply do not want to live the rest of my life like this. I don't want to purchase 2 airline seats to travel anywhere, and I want to be able to fit in a movie seat and move around. The moving around was getting more and more difficult. So decision made and now I feel like I have a new lease on life. As far as your nerves are concerned, they nerves will happen. That is natural. You have made your decision and we all went through it with good results and a new outlook on life and you can too. Good luck to you.

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

Hi, Free2b

How do you distract yourself when the doubts start to creep in? I almost wish I was still working so I could bury myself in other problems. Trying to muck through without thinking too much about it. I wonder if I should try to increase the number of times I meet the personal trainer just for these last 2 weeks? How do others deal with this stress?

Oh yeah! Hopeful spirit! I can connect with all you write.I too don't want to buy 2 seats to fly to florida for a visit! Aside from bring the most embarassing moment, its so uncomfortable.

Know what my goals are? Learn to ride a horse and spend a real vacation at a dude ranch! Walk my dog more than 2 blocks. Want to do anything at all and be able to entertain the thought without worrying: I'm too fat to fit in ....whatever. Wear clothes I actually like rather than whatever c,overs me. I've never had a chance to live without restriction. Now I will!

Let's keep in contact so we can share our journey later.

Today, I signed up with the personal trainer for a 3d meeting a week. Hope to keep me busy and not over think.

Hugs!

I am 63 years old and had my surgery on June 1st. I had absolutely NO complications. I never missed a beat from the day I came home from the hospital. I get so much more done every day than I ever was able to get done before. I could not possibly be happier with my decision to have the surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I must add that I do not have any health problems and I do not take any medications.

Thank you, nreah! I need to hear these positive messages. Hugs!

I am 63 and got sleeved a couple of weeks ago. I had a pot gut but otherwise folks thought I didn't look THAT overweight. Even some medical people told me I just needed a good diet. The fat distributed over my body and I didn't look THAT bad. But I was miserable. No energy, hard to breathe, diabetes, many aches and pains. I Tried diets, I couldn't lose the extra 50 lbs. that hormones and steroids put on me after the prostate cancer treatment. I was 330 6 months and 2 weeks ago. I am now 282 and falling fast. I can't express how much better I feel. Energy, outlook, everything goes up as weight goes down.

Wife got Roux N Y and is doing great. We plan on living out our lives by having a whole lot of fun in Florida as soon as we can manage to move. No going gently into that good night for us. If our acting and dressing young annoys people...toooo bad! :)

Hi I'm so glad that I was referred to this group. I am 66 and am going through my pre-op process. Having my final nutrition class tomorrow and my cardiac release on Thursday. I want to do this as I want to have some years feeling great about myself, get of BP meds and be able to exercise better. Friends are not supportive but I definitely want to do this. I was so happy to read your posts.

hi azsleever

you are never too old to have WLS. i am 58 years young. Three months ago, i had the surgery, and i'm so glad i did. Like others, i wish i had this surgery many, many years ago, As they say, better late than never.

So glad you didn't have any complications, sounds like are progressing well. I hope you get more support from family et al.

FYI There is a board here for ages 60's if you are interested. (i have visited) But I hope you stay here too for questions and support.

Congrats on your new sleeve

continued good luck and good wishes

kathy

Hi I'm so glad that I was referred to this group. I am 66 and am going through my pre-op process. Having my final nutrition class tomorrow and my cardiac release on Thursday. I want to do this as I want to have some years feeling great about myself, get of BP meds and be able to exercise better. Friends are not supportive but I definitely want to do this. I was so happy to read your posts.

Good luck with all your classes and tests. I'm 66 and was sleeved 12/5. I'm 63# down and it is a huge struggle to move the scale. Don't let anyone tell you itzlll be easy. Others have said it better than I....it is phenomenal in the beginning: you blink and u lose weight...but then the brakes get applied. I guess the body realizes you aren't feeding it anything and goes into a hibernation mode. One thing I have kept up is the exercise. 3x a week with trainer and 2 to 3 x a week on my own. It gives me something to do, if nothing else.