Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 17 VSG, need October friends!

Hi JenniLee!

Welcome to the October Sleevers. Looks like so far your are "First out of the Gate", You sound so upbeat it is very refreshing. Your pre-surgery diet sounds tough, but you sound like you are up to it. Just keep your "eye on the prize". That is what I keep telling myself. Let us all know how you are doing,

Keep on trucking!!

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hi all! I am a self pay patient (yikes!) and have my surgery date scheduled for October 4th! Yay! I just started my pre-op diet yesterday which wasn't as bad as I thought! Being self-pay has it's advantages like not having to go through insurance hoops! I am just thankful that I can do it like I did! I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I am having my surgery done by Dr. Northup with Mercy Healthy Weight Solutions, they are a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence! Every employee there has been wonderful! I am grateful for them all!

As far as my pre-op surgery diet goes: I have to consume 60g of Protein a day via Protein shakes made by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or nectar. (I personally like Bariatric fusion but those shakes are more so post op!). I am alloted as much water/crystal light/isopure (which counts as a Fluid and protein)/ sobe life Water 0 calorie/sugar free popsicles as I want.

I can also have 1 cup of SF Jello pudding or Gelatin, veggie Soup, 98% FF cream Soup, or Tomato Soup, 1 cup of iceberg lettuce, Tomato, cucumber, carrots, celery with 2 TBSP of fat free dressing, 1/2 cup of Unsweetened applesauce, 1 cup of dannon light n fit yogurt. -- All of these only once a day.

The day before my surgery I will be on an all clear liquid diet and nothing to drink or eat after midnight.

Best of luck to everyone!

WOWEE! Finally someone from a neighboring state! We are really close. Maybe we can get together sometime. And you are one of the Early October Sleevers. I also am beginning to feel a little nervous. I am making a lot of changes in my life seemingly at the same time. I work as an Administrator at Harvard University and, for the past few weeks have been training someone to do my job while I am off on Medical Leave. When I return from Medical Leave, I would like to retire (I will be 66 yo) at that time. But the surgery AND the retirement are BOTH major life changes, so I want to take one at a time -- Surgery first. Then I see how I feel and when I return to work and then I decide on retirement. I do, however, feel like I am TOTALLY reinventing myself for the rest of my life -- which is pretty cool! Stay in touch. I will be adding you as a friend along with other October Sleevers, and keep cool!

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hey, girl!! I am being sleeved Oct 13, 2011 in Portsmouth NH- less than an hour from you! I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride, and right now I am strapped in, and on the first incline. Click..click..click..click. I am nervous about getting through the first week or so, but NO doubts about this being the right choice for me. I am so grateful I have a supportive family and co-workers. How about you?

New Start

Hi Kygal1982!

Welcome, Welcome to the October Sleevers, and great to have Kentucky represented!! Thanks for the Protein shake editorials. I haven't purchased any yet, but I plan to start trying some soon because my pre-op diet starts on October 3rd. I don't have a total Liquid Protein diet, but I do need two Protein shakes a day -- one for Breakfast and one for a snack. The rest are very small carefully weighed-out protein with non-starchy veggie meals -- no sugar and no fat.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. I am adding you as one of my October Friends. Welcome to the Group!

Phyllis, Hopeful Spirit

Hey everyone! I'm being sleeved on October 10th in Ashland, KY with Dr. Tompkins. The hospital is King's Daughters Medical Center and it also is a center for excellence. I start my pre-op diet Monday so fun times are just around the corner haha

I have found I really enjoy the Matric and the nectar Protein Shakes (particularly the Matrix Cookies and Cream shake, it's hard to believe it's good for you. Sometimes I add a tsp of peanut butter).

I wish everyone the best in their journey and let's stay in touch!

my surgery is scheduled for October 17th as well!!! not sure what time yet but it will be performed by dr Broderick in Oakland CA at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center I know it will be here in no time the more I type about it the more real its getting lol goodluck to all of you<3

So I started my pre-op diet today. Its 4-5 shakes plus 1 meat/2veg meal. I have an EGD tomorrow so no meal today and its difficult when traveling. I've found Pure Protein and nectar to be fairly well tasting.

Hows everyone doing that's been sleeved?

Oct 28. CA.

Hello everyone!!

I am happy to say that I start my VSG journey on October 17th in Houston, Tx with Dr. Bina. I am ridiculously excited about it. I wish I could wake up tomorrow & its surgery day. :) It is going to be wonderful to start 2012 with a new outlook on food and life. I'm so happy to be getting the surgery in Oct so by Jan I can eat regular foods again.

I look forward to witnessing all of your journeys! Bon voyage!!

I was sleeved Oct 17 in South San Francisco, CA. My journey has taken several years and I've had to switch surgeons. (The first required me to lose 85 lbs pre-op and even after I lost 50lbs he said to keep going, and stop eating fruit... needless to say I got a 2nd opinion) I was originally scheduled for June 20 but got sick, then I was put on steroids for my asthma, so my rescheduled date of July 22 was canceled also due to weight gain (due to the dang steroids!!!) So I'm now happily post op!

Wow, what a story!! You must have enormous strength to endure all those hoops that you had to jump through. Never heard of anything like what that first surgeon of yours was requiring. He should be reported to someone (as if that were ever possible. So glad you finally found someone to work with you and help you start your journey to a new life. I was also sleaved on Oct 17 and very happy I did it.. How are you doing now? Managing the liquids okay? Out of the "pain zone"?

All the best to you. You deserve it!!!!

Phyllis, AKA Hopeful Spirit

I was sleeved Oct 17 in South San Francisco, CA. My journey has taken several years and I've had to switch surgeons. (The first required me to lose 85 lbs pre-op and even after I lost 50lbs he said to keep going, and stop eating fruit... needless to say I got a 2nd opinion) I was originally scheduled for June 20 but got sick, then I was put on steroids for my asthma, so my rescheduled date of July 22 was canceled also due to weight gain (due to the dang steroids!!!) So I'm now happily post op!

Hello all!

I'm all set for October 11th. I have another meeting with the surgeon and a pre-admission appointment' date=' but otherwise I'm just counting the days. It's getting close, but the days seems to drag since the date was set.

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri with Dr. Stanley Hoehn. He claims to be the very best in the area and if he has the guts to make the claim, I guess he must be right. LOL Oh, and his office is the only one my insurance will allow me to use, so there is that. His partner is younger and less expereinced, so I went with Hoehn.

I have a 2-week pre-op diet starting on the 27th, so I've been making very careful eating selections recently - kind of a farewell tour as they say. I didn't want to miss fall chili, so we made a pot on Sunday. That sort of thing.

I'm curious what others do in preparation for surgery. If anyone would like to share, I'd sure appreciate it.

Best of luck to all of you![/quote']

Hi! I have an appointment with Dr. Hoehn on Wednesday. Did you have to do that throat scope test? I'm really hoping to get an October surgery date also. I'd like to keep in touch, you're the first person I've met on here that's close to me!

It's almost been a year!!!!!!! How r u all doing????? I was on oct 28th

3 weeks until my surgiversary and I am currently in maintenance. I am living a happier, healthier, or fulfilled life. What a difference a year (and surgical procedure) makes!

I would love to hear what some of you have been up to and how your journey has gone.

Hello Friends

I was sleeved on October 17, 2011. My highest weight was 250, lowest weight was 140. My goal weaight is 130 (havent made it yet). I lost 110 lbs. I have only gained back 10 lbs. So I now weight 150. I'm trying to find a way to fight off the carb cravings & being hungry all the time. What have all of you experienced since getting sleeved. I'm live in Connecticut.

Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated. I've been thinking about trying the 5 day pouch test. Have any of you tried it and received results?

Hello Friends

I was sleeved on October 17, 2011. My highest weight was 250, lowest weight was 140. My goal weaight is 130 (havent made it yet). I lost 110 lbs. I have only gained back 10 lbs. So I now weight 150. I'm trying to find a way to fight off the carb cravings & being hungry all the time. What have all of you experienced since getting sleeved. I'm live in Connecticut.

Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated. I've been thinking about trying the 5 day pouch test. Have any of you tried it and received results?

Hi Oceanblue. What a pretty name.

You bring back a lot of memories. It has ALSO been a long time since I have been on this site, and, quite frankly, I have been avoiding it. I started this topic of "looking for October friends" way back in October, 2011 before my Sleeve Operation (one day before your operation) and well, "petered out" in my posts to this site after I had lost close to 100 pounds in just about 6 months! It was really wonderful way back then -- losing all that weight. But, like you, that wonderful fast downhill journey didn't last for all that long. I have a lot of your same problems with craving carbs (especially sweets) and being hungry. Weight started creeping up slowly. I started at 309 pounds and went down to 209 pounds with a goal of 160. I, also, remember those first 10 pounds gained. But I was not so lucky to stop at that. You are doing much better than me. I managed to add another 16 pounds to that and am now at around 235. So I am pretty concerned as well. I started to see a psychologist and continued going to the Weight Loss Center at Mass General Hospital to see the people there for support, but have been in constant struggle for this past year. I remember feeling SO THIN after I lost the 100 pounds, and NOW I feel fat! It is so funny how we see ourselves.

So I was actually happy to see your entry on this website even though I hardly even recognize this website anymore. I think I will need to start using it again and, like you, start reaching out for support. I don't know what this "5 day pouch test" is, but it doesn't sound good to me. It sounds too much like a diet and for me, diets ALWAYS means weight gain afterwards. The only cure, I think, is learning how to cut down on the carbs and sweets. Sugar is the real culprit. I have made a couple of efforts at curbing my sugar cravings by substituting fruit, which actually worked for awhile, but I somehow fell into my emotional eating pattern again, and the sweets came back.

I wish I could offer you some help or advice now, but I am in your same position, only with more weight gained since my operation. I will have to look for help for the "old-timers" who have maintained their sleeved weight for a long time.

But for now, I just want to tell you that I totally understand and perhaps we can support each other in overcoming this road-block to our weight loss and health goals!

All the best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving and a little turkey and veggies and tiny dessert! I like to remember that Thanksgiving is only a one-day event!

Let me know how you are doing.

Hopefulspirit

Hi girls,

There is a veteran forum here that sounds like it will be really helpful for you.

We have lots of vets that are 3+ years out some dealing with maintenance some with gain and some that never made it to "goal"

5 day pouch test meh...

Not for me thank you..

You need to put the hard work into detoxing from carbs, sugar, junk, and trust me it's HARD!

The minute I open the door to those things my eating habits go downhill fast.

Dense Protein and veggies are the sleevers friends :)