Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three Months Update (give or take a week!)

Hey everyone-

I have been here making a post here and there but thought I would check in more formally and report my progress- August 9th was my three month surgeversary.

I can report that I am absolutely thrilled with my sleeve! Today I was officially 65 pounds down- including my 2 week pre-op. Though sometimes I have felt like my loss has been on the slow side compared with others- somehow here I am three months later over half way to my goal!

I have also found myself to be one who has to watch carbs to lose weight. I wish it was otherwise...but it isn't. Right now it looks like my sweet spot is around 40-45 carbs to keep losing- and I do net carbs. I probably could lose a bit more going to 30 but I need to also not feel tooooo deprived so I have decided o the 40-45- knowing that when stalls come, etc. I can cut back to get thing kick started.

I also have weathered a vacation! I was worried- went to Kauai and Oahu for a family series of events which we photographed. I was scale-less, and also found it hard to keep up the things I do like clockwork here at home- like all the Protein, and the Water. I did my best, but I also let myself have more carbs in papaya and pineapple since I adore them and we were in Hawaii.I was active- in the Water every day

Net result was no loss- but no gain! In addition- I think I was pretty swollen with water in the humidity, and with flying, because I have lost 9 pounds in the nine days since coming home- woo hoo!

My main motivation for getting the sleeve was that I had become a housebound near total invalid with nerve damage in my back, two really bad knees (tears in both) and fibromyalgia. Well, I can report my life has changed so much I can't believe it! I have tons of energy and I work out two hours a day- an hour of brisk walking and an hour of level III water aerobics. I still have a fair amount of pain, and some may be a fact of life- but I feel so incredible- I feel I have my life back! The sleeve is the best thing I ever did.

Where are my Redvelvet peeps???? xoo

Congrats Meggie, you are doing very well!!! How wonderful that you got to go to Hawaii, I have always wanted to go there. I don't think you're a slow loser at all, 65 lbs, wow!!! That's awesome!

:)

Hey Meggie! You're doing great!

I was also May 9 and have lost 45lbs so far, but have only lost 5lbs in the last month. I admit I had been a bit out of control with my eating and have beeing reining it in this last week. I'm keeping a food journal and tracking what I'm eating and avoiding Snacks at work (I've had a problem with stress eating when I'm at work).

I have an appt to see my surgeon tomorrow becuase one of my incision sites seems to be infected. IT's been healing differently than the others, more like a puncture wound than an incision. It's been slower to heal and had been seeping a little but the last week the area around it has just erupted and is inflamed so I'll get that checked out.

Hey Meggie! You're doing great!

I was also May 9 and have lost 45lbs so far, but have only lost 5lbs in the last month. I admit I had been a bit out of control with my eating and have being reining it in this last week. I'm keeping a food journal and tracking what I'm eating and avoiding Snacks at work (I've had a problem with stress eating when I'm at work).

I have an appt to see my surgeon tomorrow becuase one of my incision sites seems to be infected. IT's been healing differently than the others, more like a puncture wound than an incision. It's been slower to heal and had been seeping a little but the last week the area around it has just erupted and is inflamed so I'll get that checked out.

I struggle with carbs for sure so you are not alone! Journaling is so important- I write down EVERYTHING at this point. I say that because one of my personal rants is that my Calcium chews have 4 carbs each and benefiber has 4 carbs per serving (at least they have Fiber so the net carbs are better!). I hate having this part of my 40 carbs!

I am so sorry about your infection. This explains why today my doctor looked at my incisions again! I figured at this poit- 3 months- there is no need- but obviously if you have an infection.... OUCH!

:). Hey, Miss Meggie. I'm down around 60 pounds in four and a half months so who's the slow loser? Lol

My carbs have been going down slowly, sort of accidentally. Sleevie just does not like most starches -- I can't quite explain the feeling, it's like getting stuffed with packing peanuts. So even though I let myself eat anything I want, over time the carbs just have sort of gone away. Now it's cottage cheese, chicken salad, shaved beef and etcetera. If I order a sandwich or a burger, I just take off the bun because those things are *huge* and I'd rather just have the nutrition.

But! For the past two weeks or so I'm on a serious stall. I've been walking and swimming and all of that but there's just nothing happening on the scale. In fact I wonder, since my exercise has really gone through the roof this past month if I'm shifting or my metabolism is starting to adjust.

Either way, can' t complain about the sixty pounds.

Go you!

:)

Slow loser??? Dang, Girl...that's over 20 pounds a month!! Sheesh!! Halfway to goal in three months! You are burning, it's not slow at all!! You are amazing and keep it up. It's mentors like you that I look up to and can't wait to emulate when I have my surgery!!:cheer2:

Hey Meggie!!

I don't know why I just now seen this post, but a BIG congrats to you on your weight loss!! That is awesome!! Glad to hear your trip to Hawaii was good. :D

Isn't it crazy that we will be four months out on Monday??? It just seems so surreal! I am doing well, but I tell ya, it seems like the closer I get to goal, the slower it goes. I have not lost much at all in the last two months. Maybe like 10 lbs. I know a loss is a loss and I am happy to be losing, but dang! I thought it would go so much faster! I work so hard and it just doesn't show. I have dropped a lot of inches tho! I am in a size 8 now and this morning I weighed 179lbs! That is CRAZY for me to weigh that little!! People are calling me skinny minny!! LOL B)

I can pretty much eat anything and have not had any issues. I still stay away from bad carbs. I have not eaten bread, Pasta, rice, etc. I have not had any sweets or pizza, fast food, etc. I exercise a lot too. I did make some chicken sausage on the grill the other night and man were they greasy!! I ate like 2 bites and had to throw miney away. The next evening, I was paying for that grease!! My sleeve was not happy. That is the only issue I have had with somehting not agreeing with me.

Keep up the good work!

Hugs,

Kelly ;)

WOW - I sure do not feel you are a slow loser at all, that is an incredible weight loss in a short time :D

Congratulations and I am so happy to hear your overall health is improving, that is great!

Hi Meggie,

Have to agree with the others - you don't seem like a slow loser to me! Congrats on three months + of success!! Here's to the next three months!

Lynda

Just to clarify- I absolutely do NOT feel like a slow loser now! I think that through the months it sometimes seemed that way- but then suddenly I find myself at 68 pounds lost (yep- 3 more) after only 16 weeks and that is unreal!

Today was a day that was a true testimony to having my sleeve- I was go go go all day- walked an hour and 10 minutes, then did a costco run including lifting 5 big cases of Water, then when I got home went to Payless shoes with my so, then Safeway, then when I got home had only time to feed the feral cats before it was time to go to an our of Water aerobics. This would have been COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE before my surgery. I am a totally different person!

Meggie,

I loved reading your update! I am so happy for you Miss 68lbs Weight Loss Lady :) It's wonderful you are able to have a wonderful quality of life. I do hope you are pain free very soon.

XOXO

Leanne

I am a Red Velvetter as well. Was sleeved on May 3rd. Since I started counting in February I have lost 85lbs(58 lbs since surgery). The third week of July i found myself in the hospital for 3 days on heavy antibiotics. It was later decided I must have had a micro leak that healed itself. I was back to liquids for a week.

I have been eating a variety of carbs and I know I shouldn't be, definitely nothing like I used to. I hate counting anything so that is a major bad habit that I need to fix. I also need to start working some consistent exercise into my routine. I haven't been doing anything but some occasional walking up to this point. My heels no longer hurt when I walk and I no longer get winded like I used to. I can wear all of the shoes in my closet that I haven't been able to wear in several years. My bras are all falling off and all of my pants are too big, great problems to have biggrin.gif. I can't wait to be under 300 hopefully before labor day so I can meet my goal for the challenge.

Within the last week i noticed I can eat pretty much anything now without any problems, before it would be hit or miss depending on the food and it wouldn't be consistent. Now I feel more back to normal than I have since surgery. My only big issue now is that my hair is falling out at a record pace. Granted I had a ton of hair on my head but it is really alarming to me to see how much I am losing, I have no bald spots or anything like that. I keep threatening that if this keeps up I am going to go Sinead O"Connor style.

No regrets for me having the surgery, I would do it all over again.

Meggie,

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you...your joy just seeps through your post and I can tell that you are embracing your second chance. I feel the same! My hope for you is that it continues and the pain disappears...that you have the best ahead of you!! Somehow I know you do!

Susan