Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Right! If I knuckle down amd attend every bite I can hope to lose weight but I cant or dont want to have that on my mind constantly. I want to live with the sleeve and not have the sleeve become my life. Thats whats making me disgruntled and grumbly. Im trying like nuts to get back on a 64 oz Water gig. That really does take uo some slack. Before, when I said I eat cheese and nuts well I also try to steer to veggies first. I 'found spirulini and use it with zucchini but it lost novelty value in a couple weeks. I romanced dried kale and that lost novelty value soon after I spent the dough on a 9 shelf hunk. I dunno what I want exactly...maybe the same magic the sleeve came with initially. I think for all that agonizing and worry and blather the honeymoon should've lasted longer. I feel shortchanged. B8t im glad to have a grump fest. Thanks for listening!

I don't track unless I stall. And yes, 800 is for the first year. I was sleeved in June.

You are 100% Laura!!! There's just no easy way around it. It's an awesome tool and you have seemed to master it. Congrats!!!!

Listen to Laura people!!!! If you don't want to gain, STAY ON THE PLAN!!!

I hope to report back one year from now back on track and back at my normal BMI range.

Best wishes to all :-)

So good to see you! Pleas don't wait a year to come and visit....Hang out with us vets at least. Glad you are happy. My goal was not that tiny, I wear a 12 and goal weight is 170-173 bounce range. I am at 174 this morning, fighting getting down into the range... lots on my plate now, and eating more of what I want than usual. I feel good too, and after gaining 22 a couple of years ago, REALLY do not want to do that again. I never wanted to count calories or pay attention to my "diet" again at one point, but know for sure I HAVE TO to stay on track. I stop paying attention, and I gain. Thats it. I decided to drop the "boring, aggravated, bad feelings" about tracking, and just do it. That goes for other lifestyle changes as well, I walk, Kayak, dance regularly, and enjoy it... don't think of it as exercise, but as a way to enjoy life. I cultivated this feeling, it did not come naturally. I am a success, mistakes and all. I hope to keep my success into the future, but know that weight gain is not that far from me at any time.

Is there another url? I cant seem to click on that link and would like to read it

The link worked fine for me on my laptop.... perhaps you are on a phone or iPad?

I'm 7months out iv never gained iv stayed the same a few weeks in a row BUT iv never lost anymore than 2lbs at a time iv only lost 50lbs it's been so slow

I'm 7months out iv never gained iv stayed the same a few weeks in a row BUT iv never lost anymore than 2lbs at a time iv only lost 50lbs it's been so slow

Yummy, You are in the "honeymoon" phase. You are doing great, however things do change for most people later on, after a year or so. Hunger may come back, you can eat more.... you need to learn good habits now that can carry you through these changes. Gaining gets easier for most people here later on.

I got on today looking for weight gain info. I am 4 months out and lost 60 lbs but gained 2lbs in the last few days. Thanks for all the great advice. I haven't journaled so I'm going to work on that.

Now I feel even more alone.. I have at 15 months gained about 8!

I'm so sorry you are having a tough time. I'm almost 6 months out and I can safely say one reason I am doing well is because I live alone. I know if I had my family at home and was cooking, it wouldn't be like this. Yesterday was the first time I 'went out' and had to face eating/drinking in a large crowd. That was definately an effort.

You have lost almost 140 lbs. Concentrate on that, it is amazing!!! Think how much easier it is to get around now, how clothes fit better, and you feel better. Those are the things to think about and Celebrate. I am so jealous of how well you have done...keep it up and don't worry about a short-term gain. I know for me it was not taking my Vitamins while not getting enough Protein.

I'm rooting for you - look how much you have accomplished...

Hi all,

I am 13 months out. Still trying to drop "a few more pounds." (aren't we all?) I was living it up with carbs, I mean serious carbs every day. Like twice a day. Like I used to eat. And I stopped logging and weighing myself. I shouldn't have been surprised that I gained 4 pounds in 1-2 weeks. Gadz, that frightened me. So, I've been pulling away from the carbs and

going through a bit of withdrawal, which I know will only last 3 days. Mostly get lethargic and depressed. (So what else is new?)

What works for me is to focus on losing ONE POUND. After I get that going, I focus on the next ONE POUND. That feels reasonable, doable, and achievable. But,I would feel ashamed and defeated if I focused on trying to lose 4 pounds.

Just a thought.

Now I feel even more alone.. I have at 15 months gained about 8!

Ashley, it's a huge thing to be able to admit that you are not on track. I have been facing many demons myself the past year. I am now a little more than 3 yrs out and I go in phases where I kind of don't care. I say, "kind of" because deep down, I really do care but sometimes so much gets dumped on us whether it's work/ family/ whatever that something has to give and unfortunately most of us have found food as a way to help ease the stress in our day to day lives so it makes sense in a way for this to happen. Not saying it should be an excuse but I continue to try to recognize the things in my life that are causing me to get off track. Carbs are my drug of choice- always have been/ always will be.... I still have really good restriction WHEN I eat how I'm supposed to eat--- meaning dense Protein first, plenty of Water or something equally good.

My lowest was 120# and have been fighting to get back there for the past year. I keep bouncing between 135 and 145#. Do I look fat? Hmmm, no, but I know how I felt when I weighed 120# (see my avatar picture). I felt on top of the world. I want to get back there and I will. I recognize some of the things going on in my life that are making this more difficult and I'm working on changing those things. For me, it's a miserable / horrible job w/mandatory OT every single week and I'm a salaried professional in my field. Anyways, allow yourself to be upset, but try to do your best to not dwell on it. They say that the measure of a person's success is how they handle failure. By no means is an 8# gain a failure, but try to keep it from being a 10# gain or more. Think about the things happenign in your life right now that are creating the road blocks or challenges. Maybe you can change them, maybe you can't. I'm pretty certain you know how to fix this, and coming here for support is an excellent thing to do. I still read posts, but don't come on the board nearly as much as I did the first year or so. I think its important to keep in touch with people that remind me that I'm not alone with my struggles. It's not an excuse for me to not stay accountable, but it reminds me that I'm human and that I can dust off my boots, and try again the next day.

Stay true to yourself and just keep moving forward in the direction that is best for Ashley.

What chart? I can't find it

I think it might have been one I posted back a loooong way... I used to keep them to show weight loss progress.

Emu, I am uncertain of what all you might have read, but the fact is, depending on the size of bouge used, your baby tummy can only stretch to 70% of the size they cut it down do. If I were to 'stretch' my tummy out, I would maybe get a cup and a half of food in it as that is all the further it could possibly stretch.

When you fall off the wagon, its time to get back on. Most I know have gotten a jump start with the 5 day pouch test. others start with going back to basics...liquids, then purees, then soft, then solids over a months time frame. this cleanses your system and gives like a fresh new start without the toxins for you to continue again. I

I realize this post is like 3 years old, so I am hoping you figured out what has worked for you...but you newbies...take it from some that have been there. Peace out! :)

Hi, I was sleeved in Israel in August 2009 and lost 49 kilos or 107.80lbs (7 stone 7 pounds) in the first year, the first 5 stone fell off me, then I had to diet like crazy to get the other 2 and a half stone off but now I'm just putting on weight rapidly. The dietician at the time did tell me strictly, never ever ever eat more than half a cup of food, ever! but did I listen, no! typical rebellious me, I stuffed and have now stretched my stomach and can eat huge portions again, and i'm eating little and very often, can't diet, can't seem to go back to small portions, complete mess, and now what do I do? Thinking of doing hypnotic banding, anyone tried it? I saw an article in the paper today a women lost loads of weight doing it, but that could just be advertising, don't want to waste money if it doesn't work.. I continually crave carbs, bad food, as before the op, and if I do get through one whole day of eating healthily I ruin it by the next afternoon. Now considering going back to do a revision op, but scared of the outcome, bursting the stomache etc....

Any advise?
Emma

Hi Everyone :-)

Today is my 4 year anniversary. I was the one that originally asked the question about weight gain after surgery. Well I'm here to tell you that you can definitely GAIN WEIGHT BACK and not just a few pounds.

Although I'm very content and blessed to be wearing a size 8 today I was actually wearing some size 4's years ago. And was a perfect size 6 for over 3 years.

My goal weight was to reach 150 lbs. (a normal BMI weight for me). I got as low as 144 lbs. Today 4 years out I weigh 165 lbs. I have reached as high as 170 lbs. during my period.

The sleeve is a PHENOMENAL tool and 4 years out I STILL have amazing restriction. The weight gain is from not eating properly, PERIOD. For the MOST part I'm still making pretty good choices, but obviously there are choices that haven't been all that great to gain all this weight back.

I know age has something to do with it as well. I am 46 going on 47 and lots of changes going on lol. BUT NO EXCUSES for sure.

Again I'm content and watching my weight pretty closely now to make sure I don't gain any more weight and would love to be back to 150-155 lbs. I know it's possible for sure.

I'm so thankful for my sleevie.

OK y'all so I didn't take my yearly anniversary picture this year since I have gained so much weight. But today I was looking for a black dress and took these from the dressing room to send to my hubby to see if he liked it.

Tomorrow I will be 4 years and 1 month post op. I have about 12-15 lbs to get back to my goal weight, but again I'm so thankful I'm not where I was prior to sleevie. This dress is a size 8 and I used to be a tight 18 lol. I have no complaints. I know what I need to do :-) and I hope I can report back next year back at goal!!!

post-115741-0-43144700-1411771614_thumb.jpg

post-115741-0-68549000-1411771624_thumb.jpg