Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

It sounds like you might need a pic of your insides to see whats up in there... Keep in mind that sometimes after the nerves are cut in the stomach, you cant feel whats going on there for a while and you have to really measure your food. Many people gain weight right after surgery from the IV as well (I gained 10 pounds after surgery). That being said, it does sound like there might be something else going on...

Maybe you should go to your family doctor to have some tests to make sure it was done. After that, you can figure out how to start getting the weight off. I got pretty hungry a few weeks after the surgery. I read where someone else had done that and what she thought was hunger was really too much acid. I started taking my protonix again and it seemed to help some with the hunger. I've been told by my dietician not to eat more than a cup of food at each meal with most of that being Protein, then vegetable or fruit. After that you can have the starch. Hope you get it figured out.

I had band removal and sleeve in May, and have gained 10 lbs. I can eat huge amounts of food with no discomfort. I was Mexico self pay, and I really wonder if the dr sleeved me or just removed my band. I have joined weight watchers, and have lost five lbs, but it's pure will power and I'm hungry all of the time.

This is not right...either you need to take your PPIs (as others mentioned above-stomach acid can mimic hunger pangs) or you weren't sleeved.

I was self-pay sleeve in Mexico and on day 2 I could barely swallow water-kept foaming. I am one month out and am struggling with soft foods. I am never hungry (just emotional head hunger) but feel sensations like low energy and dizzy at work and then remember to eat. I am so restricted that after a few bites, it's feel like post-Thanksgiving dinner full.

Did your doctor do a barium swallow with you in the hospital? I got to see my new stomach before I was discharged from the hospital. Please make an appointment with a doctor here and ask to do a test so you can see your new stomach. That will put your mind at ease. If you are indeed sleeved, then you must have lots of acid and head hunger. I can't imagine how the sleeve is not preventing you from swallowing too much at a time. I have vomited from taking one more bite (once) and learned my lesson to measure 2oz at a time.

Good luck!! :)

I actually have heard of people coming home from Mexico with no sleeve. You'll have to get a scope to find out what's going on with your stomach.

I continue to battle my addiction to sweets every single day. Right now I am up 4 lbs from my goal weight and I know if i don't take it off, it will be 15 again.

People tend to think once you're sleeved, you don't have to battle your weight ever again. That is only true for the first few months when we can barely eat.

It's a life long struggle to eat right and know that extra treats will cause weight gain. I keep them out of the house, but I have such little willpower when anyone offers me junk I know I shouldn't have.

I'm only 3wks post op, but I'm already in a stall and noticed a 2lb increase :( thank God today I went down a lb. hoping its TOM symptoms. However no TOM yet!

I'm only 3wks post op, but I'm already in a stall and noticed a 2lb increase :( thank God today I went down a lb. hoping its TOM symptoms. However no TOM yet!

I gained two lbs at the three week mark as well. My doctor said don't be concerned with that right now its hard but I don't use a scale at home to avoid stress.

Look up "three week stall" its common. Mine lasted for a month if I remember correctly....

Oddly I gained three pounds in the third week post-op. A week later it disappeared. I would not attribute this gain to hormonal changes as I am post menopausal. I have several autoimmune diseases and I am inclined to believe that this sudden weight gain is related to inflammation.

Oddly I gained three pounds in the third week post-op. A week later it disappeared. I would not attribute this gain to hormonal changes as I am post menopausal. I have several autoimmune diseases and I am inclined to believe that this sudden weight gain is related to inflammation.

This thread is for people who are much further on their journey, not recent post-ops. You will probably find more helpful information on post-op regain on other threads.

Im 2 1/2 yrs out, gained 10, but flipped out about it and now have lost it. Still fighting to loose another 50 that I didn't loose my first year after surgery.

Im 2 1/2 yrs out, gained 10, but flipped out about it and now have lost it. Still fighting to loose another 50 that I didn't loose my first year after surgery.

Congrats for getting the 10 off! Thats the fight for sure. I could lose 10 more and be happy about it, but staying at my current weight is where I am finding my success right now, and I am so happy to be able to do this. I am fine where I am right now. Will I ever lose that 10 pounds? It is MUCH more important to me to maintain where I am than lose more.

I started at 256 in January. To my horror that was the most i had ever weighed and I couldnt get it off. Dropped 5 right after seeing the doctor and didnt drop anymore until preop diet started.

BUT.......3 weeks ago today i had my surgery and i weigh 226

30 pounds since January and I am thrilled. I to weigh every day,i swore i wouldnt but i just GOTTA KNOW!!

No gains since 7-3 but i do hover at the same weight for a few days. The day it says 199 i will throw a party!

My cousin goes up and down 1-5 pounds. I am only three weeks post op but she told me that when I feel the little extra gained to work hard and get it back off. She is 11 years post op. I have five family members with the surgery so I get a lot of information.

I'm brand new to this group, and this is one of the very reasons I joined. I have been "stuck" since March or April. My weight will fluctuate from 1-3 pounds in a week....usually going up. This week I gained 2.6 pounds and I just don't understand why. Ok, I haven't been the most conscious about my diet (I LOVE my Mickey D's mochas....with nonfat milk) and I haven't exercised since I had a medical issue and subsequent surgery (nothing bariatric-related). Any ideas on how I can "jumpstart" my weight loss? I need to lose about 37 more pounds. Thank you!!

I am at 9 months post op. I will have a weight loss then bounce back and forth for a few days before settling at the new weight. usually the swing is about 2 pounds.