Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP, what's the difference between a 32 and 44 bougie?

Ok, I need help with understanding what the difference is between 32 and 44 bougie. My doctor advised me today that he only uses 44 French and the smaller you go the more chances of narrowing of the stomach pouch, and he said I will only be able to eat 4-6 oz once I am fully healed. What sizes have you all gotten and are you having any issues with a 32? Does anyone have a 44 and can you share your experience with it?

not much at all!

someone, i think tiffikins posted a picture that showed pens or markers of those sizes to give a demonstration of what the size difference was and it is not a big deal!

do a seach and look for it!

Kelly :D

Well im being sleeved on aug 15 th and my doc uses a 40 french bougie , she said after im healed I will be able to eat somewhere between 2 & 4 oz of food. I think the smaller you go the more.restriction you have. I hope you get the awnsers you need hun and good luck to you .

Ok, I need help with understanding what the difference is between 32 and 44 bougie. My doctor advised me today that he only uses 44 French and the smaller you go the more chances of narrowing of the stomach pouch, and he said I will only be able to eat 4-6 oz once I am fully healed. What sizes have you all gotten and are you having any issues with a 32? Does anyone have a 44 and can you share your experience with it?

A bic pen and a big sharpie marker I have a bic pen. . . 28/32

My Dr only uses 32... the difference is millimeters in circumstance. Smaller equals more restrictions equals less food you can eat

Check page 5 for size comparisons:

http://www.medovations.com/pdf/Esophageal_Dilatation.pdf

Size 32-40fr is minimal. Some studies are suggesting that bigger than 40fr has a higher incidence of regain at year 3-5, BUT it's going to depend on your own anatomy, and your surgeon's technique. The difference between a 32 and 44 is about 4mm.

As long as he dissects, and removes the entire fundus, you will have restriction. You might be able to eat an ounce of two more than someone with a 32fr, BUT 1-2oz of steak isn't going to make you fat again. Ya know what I mean??? I can eat more than some with the same size stomach than, and then there are some that can eat way more than I can even at 2 years out that have the same size.

The sleeve is not a standardized procedure yet. Each surgeon does it a little different. I have seen patients with a 40fr bougie used get a stricture so the bigger size bougie doesn't guarantee that it won't happen.

Our stomachs are unique to our bodies. Taller people have longer stomachs supposedly. And, I have a 32 fr, and when it comes down to restriction/capacity, it really depends on what I'm eating. Mushy/slider foods, I can eat 6-8oz, steak and chicken it's 3-5oz, scallops/seafood I can get in about 6oz.

Wow i was just told that I had a 40fr, now I'm frighten that it won't be enough for me??? :banghead: I need to calm down :chillpill: it would be nice to hear how the different sizes work for everyone.

My surgeon didn't think the size made that much of a difference. He said he used a 34 bougie for all. I said, "But I'm a guy! Don't I need a bigger stomach than a girl? My calorie requirements are greater!!"

Then he explained it to me and I felt silly. I'll use math, but don't feel silly afterward because this is not straightforward by any means.

As mentioned above, the number is the number of millimeters for the circumference of the tube they place in your stomach to use as a guide for the staple line. So let's break this down:

To get the diameter of the tube, we have to take the size and divide it by 3.14 (pi, the ratio of the diameter to the circumference)

Size 32 bougie, the smallest they use would have a diameter of 10.19108 mm.

Size 40 bougie, the largest (from my research) they use would have a diameter of 12.73885 mm.

A difference of 2.547771 mm.

Let's translate this to inches, which I am more familiar with. 1 millimeter = 0.0393700787 inches

2.547771 x 0.0393700787 = 0.100305933

That is one tenth of 1 inch difference between the smallest and the largest. So, in my books, not really much of a difference at all to worry about.

Buuuut ... he did say that it is only a guide. It is up to the surgeon's skills to sew tightly to the bougie, which, depending on experience, would could cause variance. So, the size of the bougie doesn't really matter, it is the skill of the surgeon.

It may be a good question to ask your surgeon pre-op. "How tightly do you sew to the bougie?"

Thank you I just had a moment there where I was thinking this was for nothing, and in actuality it is all about the same. I am very confident in my surgeon Kimberly Steele at Johns Hopkins, so I will not use the size of the stomach guideline as an excuse not to be successful. Thank you for helping me put this into perspective. You have done very well any tips?

My surgeon used a 34, but this thread was very informative. I didn't realize they were all so close in size!

I believe I had a 32. I can only eat about 1/4 cup now, but I don't think the swelling is down two weeks out. I think I will be able to 1/2 cup later down the line.