Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea...

I went to the ENT Doctor today to find out my sleep study results and I have severe sleep apnea. I stop breathing 37 times an hour! :shocked: So I'll be getting a CPAP machine soon.

If you've used a CPAP machine what are some Pros/Cons?

I got a machine 9 years ago and I won't sleep without it now. I feel like CRAP without the CPAP. It's hard to get used to wearing the mask but after a while it's second nature. My doctor told me that a majority of people are cured from sleep apnea after they lose their weight from the surgery. I hope that's the case for me. Cons I can say are it's a pain to lug around when you're sleeping away from home and of course it's uncomfortable to wear. Pros outweigh cons when the biggest pro is a restful night's sleep and lucidity during the day. Good luck.

I went to the ENT Doctor today to find out my sleep study results and I have severe sleep apnea. I stop breathing 37 times an hour! :shocked: So I'll be getting a CPAP machine soon.

If you've used a CPAP machine what are some Pros/Cons?

I hope the CPAP helps you. It did not help me - I tried for a year - with different masks, etc and frankly I was more tired sleeping with the machine than I was without it. So, after a year of struggling with it, I stopped using it. I know many people it has helped, but it just did not help me.

I too just got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in June. I'm still trying to get adjusted to the idea of wearing something over my nose during the night. The equipment my *** supplied me works very well but the nose gear hasn't been that good for me. When I chose the mask that fits into your nostrils rather than something covering your face. The pieces kept unsealing from my nose during the night causing me to wake up. My husband who has been using gear for about 10 years helped me out with some of his equipment. His gear fits inside the nostrils rather than just sealing the nostrils. He gave me one of his old sets and a piece that fits my nose. It's been about 2 weeks now and I've been staying asleep through the night.

Just make sure you find the equipment that works best for you! Good luck.

Yeah, so my "number" was - get this - 132. That's right. I stopped breathing or dropped a low oxygen a whopping 132 times an hour, and was somehow managing to raise a 5 year old and own/operate a business with 15 employees. Of course I fell asleep within 60 seconds of getting into a car and quite literally fell asleep in conversation with someone face to face. Twice :)

Love, love, love my CPAP. I don't ever sleep without it and it has absolutely improved my life. I feel like a big ole freak with my Darth Vader mask on, and I would love it my apnea disappeared after surgery... But for now I'm very grateful for a little air up my nose at night!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 4 months ago, stopped breathing 115 times an hour.I used to wake up with headaches and cronic tiredness. In these last few months I feel soooo! much better with my c-pap.I have noticed the mask with the nasal pillows does start to leak around the nostral after a while. I need something over my mouth because I'm a mouth breather also. The insurance co. will replace my mask every 3 months so I'm going to try a full face mask this time.Good luck to you , When you get your machine you'll feel much better.Find out how often your insurance co, replaces your mask and do take advantage of it.

Hello! I was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea also. This is actually my 1st week using my CPAP & although I loved it when I used it in my sleep study, I'm having a hard time at home. My mask is comfortable, however, I wake up during the night to find it on the floor or something. I adjust it over & over again, but I just can't keep the darn thing on! I guess I sleep like a wild child & didn't know it. :D Another person suggested that finding the right mask is key & I totally agree. I think once I get used to it, I probably won't want to sleep without it either. All the best to you!

I was diagnosed last year. I use the "nasal pillows" which work great for me. My son (skinny and young so not all apnea is weight related) cant stand that type of mask and does better with something that is more of a traditional mask.

I find that you just have to persist (and change masks if you need to). I go through periods of time when i wake up with the mask laying on the bed next to me. It is like i took it off and dont remember it.... it is still worth it to keep trying because most of the time I sleep through the night now (except for one potty wake) and I never used to.

I love my CPAP! I don't use the mask, I use the nasal pillows which is much less clumsy and much more comfortable. I was a mouth breather, but with the nasal pillows, I wake up if I open my mouth so within a couple of nights I became a nose breather! My machine starts out on a slow setting which allows me to go to sleep and then the air blows full force. Now I just start it on the full setting. Good luck!

I've been wearing Pappy for about 3 years now. Last month the VA fit me with a new ultra-light weight hose and soft mask (covers nose only - but is entirely pliable) and OMg, I loved it before - and now--- I don't leave home without it. The brand is ResMed and I am very happy with the new machine and hose/mask. Another comment about traveling - if you get one of the new "hard side" 4 wheels rolling suitcases from costco (Riviera) I think -- you can unzip the side and fit the entire CPAP (in a padded case) inside this suitcase and travel safely with it. It was wonderful not having to pack themachine with me on theplane because TSA always makes a big deal about opening the Water chamber and testing the droplets left...geez!

Anyway - I love ResMed and Pappy goes where I go. Keep trying with the mask - it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Ohh my cpap!!! We have a love/hate relationship!!!:rolleyes: I love that I am able to get a full night sleep after 2 years at least of not sleeping through the night. The biggest con for me is that it is a pain to haul along when I travel.....but I will say that the pro of sleeping through the night far outweighs the con! i've lost 85 lbs and think the pressure needs to be adjusted but i don't want to go back for another sleep study. i have been thinking about trying to sleep without it but haven't yet because again, even for one night the pro of sleeping through the night outweighs going without!! I did see a post on here that you can google instructions for adjusting the pressure yourself and i may see about doing that.

Thank you so much for all the replies. I'm getting fitted tomorrow and I'm glad I have all this info.

I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea in 2004. I never got the CPAP because when I went back for the second study, one with the CPAP, I had so much trouble with it that I never bothered to get one. Here we are 7 years later, and I had even forgotten that I had sleep apnea, until I saw my Bariatric Surgeon recently for the first time and because my BMI is just under 40, he was asking me questions about other conditions and mentioned sleep apnea and I was like "oh yeah I got that". Lol. So that was the only co-morbidity I needed to qualify.

I was lucky that I was able to get in touch with the Sleep Center where I did my study so many years ago, and they were able to find my reports in the computer and they emailed them to me. When I went for my Pulmonary clearance I brought the studies with me and luckily I didn't have to redo the studies even though they were so old. But he did say I had to get a CPAP. He said that my insurance company will insist I get one before they approve surgery so I might as well get one now this way I have it before then. Long story short, my insurance company called this morning to set up an appointment to set up my CPAP and they are coming on 8/22. I was like ok, whatever, because I know I'm not going to use it and I'm just getting it because I have to. But after reading this, I may just give it a good try before dismissing it. Truth is I could really use a good nights sleep, I always wake up tired and am generally lethargic throughout the day. I always assumed that was because of my weight, but probably its also because of the sleep apnea (which is also probably because of my weight). Interesting circle that it.

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope it works for you!

What everyone else said. I stopped beathing 42 times an hour and after I got adjusted to the CPAP -- doctor had me increase the amount of time I wore the mask and used the machine each night until I used it all night --- it was great to actually get a good night's sleep. I tried one mask and it felt light weight and I could breathe just fine, but it just leaked too much around the side, so 3 months later got a different mask -- one that has a kind of suction effect to stick to the face -- no leaking with this one. I've been through several now after years of using the CPAP. It should make a huge difference for you.

Thanks Pixie for asking the question.

I was diagnosed an hour ago. 108 is my number. All these years I thought it was allergies. :(

The bad news is that sleep apnea is linked to heart disease. (I will for sure use the CPAP whether I like it or not.) The good news is that now my insurance will cover the sleeve!

Good luck with your fitting.