Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the worst part after surgery ?

I only had a TINY bit if nausea the first time I got up to try and walk. I didn't really have any gas pain at all, and the only other pain I had was incision pain, which was really just very sore, not like excruciating pain. It was mostly when I rolled over on my side or got up and down. Lying down was just fine. :) Since coming home from the hospital, I've only been nauseous twice, and it was because I drank too fast, so my bad! I thought the healing process was really quite quick and painless! Just those darn incisions being sore, but that's about it. Now I'm two and a half weeks out and I barely notice my incisions anymore. It's almost like I didn't have surgery! Good luck to you!

What was the worst thing right after surgery ? Did u vomit? Was there alot of nausea ? Im so scared and I feel like second guessing my decision my surgery is on august 15 th and im starting to freak out .... Please someone let me know what to exspect

Sorry to say but yes I did vomit after surgery. Also my nausea was pretty bad. I had a little rougher time than others because I was a revision from band to sleeve. However that is not a prerequisite for this type of reaction.

Just remember, nothing worth doing is ever easy. My results are proof of that. I really went through it for the whole first 6 weeks, but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't trade in one second of that knowing how I'm living today.

Your emotions will get the better of you leading up to your surgery. Just don't let your feet get so cold they get stuck to the ground. Stick to the plan and make your life better!!!

Hi,

My surgery was last Thur.....first off this change in your life takes determination and resolve....because our emotions can be misleading for sure! The worst part for me was the gas also, my husband said they just kept giving me pain meds and within about 6 hours or so it was much less.....I can't remember much from that stage....after that no pain, no nausea. I was sleeved with five others on that day and the next day all five of us were sitting together waiting for our leak test and only one had been dealing with nausea. My advice is make sure you pee!!!!! I didn't go much on that next day and had to have a catheter for about a day and a half (at home) but since things...no problems....glad I did it! Tracy w.

I'm only a week and a half out from surgery. The worst part for me was all the apprehension and worrying I had/did before surgery! I didn't have any gas pains, extremely limited nausea, very minor pain (more soreness than pain, per se). The most difficult thing was sipping Water the day after surgery and the 1st day I was home: watching the clock to make sure I drank 1 oz every 10 minutes -- for hours -- to ensure that I got enough fluids in. Since that day I've come up with a routine to make sure I get my 64 oz in.

Hi there,

I just had my surgery on Wednesday so I am 2 days post. Everyone's experience is so unique and yours will be too. I spent hours on this site beforehand which was helpful in explaining some of my post op experiences but I found that there were a lot that I thought I would have but so far haven't been an issue. The biggest problem for me was the shoulder pain on the night after the surgery. I must have walked over a few miles and it still didn't resolve until I went home and got in my own bed. It's almost all gone now but it helped a lot to know that it was temporary and that a lot of other people also experienced it.

Good Luck to you.. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. You are so close to your date and it will be all over before you know it. Please let us know how it went for you!!!

Like many others, I had no pain or nausea after surgery. For me, the worst part after I finally woke up (it takes me a while to wake up from anesthesia) was the dry mouth and throat and not able to drink Water or anything. My surgeon would not allow me to swallow anything until after the leak test the next day. Fortunately, they had little sponges on a stick that I could use to moisten my mouth and lips. But I still could not swallow it, so my throat remained sore.

Hi. I had surgery on Tuesday. The nausea immediately postoperative was horrible but they gave me plenty of meds and when I woke up it was gone. I have had no trouble since. I have managed to get my liquids and Protein today but it has been agonizingly slow. Room temperature or warm is far better than cold. I have some incisional pain but have not had pain med since last night and I only took it then cause I couldn't get comfortable to sleep. I am going back to full work on Monday and don't think it will be a problem. Everyone is different. I feel very blessed!

The worst part for me was the dry mouth and throat after surgery. They put that tube down my throat and it roughed it up a little. I couldn't have anything by mouth for the first 24 hours after surgery... not even ice chips. My lips were so dried out, even with chapstick! Those swabs they gave me didn't help much. Also, I was in silent panic mode the last 5 minutes before they wheeled me off for surgery. It was all I could do not to say "I've changed my mind!!". I remember they came for me, I kissed my husband goodbye, and that's it until after surgery. They must have started pushing the sedative at that point cause I don't remember a thing after that. :rolleyes:

The worse part of the post op for me is the diarrhea I have been having along with intestinal cramping. I hear its normal but it sucks. I had to start taking imodium to help slow the cramping and bowel movements. I hope u skip this part it really is the ony discomfort I had so far. The gas was painful but it goes away within the first few days.

I had my surgery 12 days ago on the 18th. It is normal to feel nervous before you have your surgery but you will find it is more the fear of the unknown than the actual surgery. For me, and yes, everyone is different, the worst part was the gas pain after surgery. It wasn't horrible, but uncomfortable. Walking did help, Gas X helped a little and having my back rubbed helped too ( normally, I hate my back rubbed but it felt so good after the surgery). You will find that everyday gets better and better. I found that even from the morning when I woke up to the evening when I went to bed there was improvements. The discomfort is not too bad and it is over pretty quickly. I did have dry heaves a few times but it really was not too bad and I only took pain medication once or twice after the surgery. For me the incisions were not sore or painful, except the larger one ( about an Inch) and I really cant say it was painful, just sore. You will be fine just keep reading the post here and keep getting the positive support you need. Before surgery I surrounded myself with people who only agreed it was a good idea for me to do this and I refrained from telling anyone who I thought wouldn't support me. Good luck!

Worst parts:

- Nasogastric tube: I wasn't aware I would wake up with one, it was horrendously uncomfortable on my throat and made me gag every time I moved my head. Ended up having it for 4 days.. awful the whole time. I must have bugged every dr and nurse I saw asking to take it out, and I actually considered pulling it out myself!

- Shoulder pain: Sore shoulder when I woke up with what felt like a huge lump on the back near neck. Think it was just gas but it felt like a massive bruise. Heat packs helped.

- Swallow test the day after surgery: felt ill from being wheeled fast around corners to the test, then had to stand up with butt hanging out of hospital gown and try to drink horrible gastrograffin I thought I was going to throw up. Ugh.

- Peeing in small bedpan postop and overflowing it and wetting the bed.. awfully embarrassing although at the time I didn't care that much. I was just grateful I had a lovely nurse who cleaned it up right away and was very kind.

- The noise in the ICU the first night. There was some old guy who was out of it and calling out and trying to get out of bed.. all I remember hearing all that first night is "JOHN! Lay down! JOHN!". Heh.

Honestly after the first month this is all a blur and nothing. I can barely remember most of it now. I had a great recovery and although I had some throwing up as I was transitioning to solid foods and trying to figure out how much to eat, I haven't had that since.

No vomit, no nausea. The 2 worst things to me were:

1--the barium swallow study after surgery, drinking clear brown, evil, disgusting liquid

2--the drain. My doc required it to be kept in for 10 days.

The BEST:

feeling great, looking great, getting healthy, walking into a store and buying clothes so quickly and easily, tons of compliments from friends, family, and co-workers. Being a cheap date...3 meals out of one meal out. The TEMPORARY pain and inconvenience were so worth it!

I could go on forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second guessing is quite normal as this is a huge life changing event. I would worry if I hadn't second guessed my decision. I had to be on 24 hour Clear Liquids before surgery on July 22. I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 10:45 and in surgery by 12:45 pm. There was an issue in the operating room due to the high heat we were experiencing. I did not get into surgery until about 3pm. I was dying of thirst (or so it felt like). To top it off my menstrual cycle started.

After surgery, when I awoke I was in my private room and had severe pain in my upper chest. It was gas, but it was intense, they gave me medicine through my IV and like others once I was able to burp, consistently, it helped alot as well as walking.

I would say the worse parts for me were the intense dry mouth, thirst and the contrast dye to check for leaks the following day. That was the first thing I was allowed to drink after about 30 hours or so....can we say gross! Then I was able to drink Water, broth, etc.

All in all, I would do it again and I do not regret my decision. At two weeks out I have lost 20lbs. and feel better than ok so far.

I had two days of dry-heaving post-op -- but it wasn't that bad, honestly. I felt fine when I wasn't nauseated...if that makes any sense. :huh: And I had very little pain (no IV pain meds, just tylenol!), no gas pain at all, no problems to drink Water or eat food. I had a very easy time of it I think. I continue to have a very easy time, touch wood! Good luck, you'll do great!

Hey there (: I got sleeved July 14, I remember being woken up by the nurse in the recovery room, she asked me if I had any pain and I sure didn't I didn't have any pain at all, my whole hospital stay was so smooth, I didn't have nausea, no gas chest pains, I got up of bed 2hrs out of surgery to walk, I showered the next day, I did NOT press the morphine button at all, the hardest part for me was drinking the Protein Shake every day I got disgusted of drinking it every day lol sale flavor, yuck . I started beauty school a week after surgery, im doing really good and I hope it stays that way, I'm 19 I weighed 213lbs and Monday is my first weight in :-) goodluck with your surgery ! Thereafter nothing to be afraid of .