Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the worst part after surgery ?

No pain, nausea, or vomitting for me. Some discomfort from the gas immediately out of surgery, but as soon as I was in my room hooked up to the IV, that was relieved immediately. I had an easy recovery, no problems getting in liquids, but it was an adjustment getting used to making myself drink constantly. Not because it hurt or anything, just remembering. I used the timer on my phone to remind me. The pre-op liquid diet was the worse part of my whole weight loss journey.

Good luck!!!

:)

Plan well, take lots of GasX strips and especially chews, two or three boxes. You can give them to others if you don't need them all. I also took along a bottle of Tums! Yes, Tums. A real life saver. I wound up giving the last third to cutie pie, who said it really helped her. I got my doctor to give me some weak (1mg) Lorazepam for flying, but wound up using it to sleep and relax. The other thing that is never mentioned here... don't rush home or anywhere after surgery. Go slow, Stay a couple of extra days in a nice hotel and just relax.This is a life changing moment, slow it down, savor it. Get used to your new self before having to go back to the hustle-bustle of airports or kids. Good luck, you'll do fine.

What was the worst thing right after surgery ? Did u vomit? Was there alot of nausea ? Im so scared and I feel like second guessing my decision my surgery is on august 15 th and im starting to freak out .... Please someone let me know what to exspect

I had excessive vomiting that kept me in the hospital an extra day. It was the...worst....pain.....I had ever experienced (including 27 hours of unmediated labor). The second worst thing were/are the hunger pains that come in contradiction to the gas pains I get when I try to ingest anything.

Well, it's not even really much of a surgery. You're groggy and out of it for 2 or three days. There is plenty of pain medication. The pains are achy rather than stab-by.. the main thing is that there is a whole new relationship going on between your mouth and the rest of you. The gas pains are the worst, but you know it's just trapped air trying to find it's way out. You figure out how to help it after a awhile. You'll do fine. I'm 8 days out now and have trouble remembering it.

Plan well, take lots of GasX strips and especially chews, two or three boxes. You can give them to others if you don't need them all. I also took along a bottle of Tums! Yes, Tums. A real life saver. I wound up giving the last third to cutie pie, who said it really helped her. I got my doctor to give me some weak (1mg) Lorazepam for flying, but wound up using it to sleep and relax. The other thing that is never mentioned here... don't rush home or anywhere after surgery. Go slow, Stay a couple of extra days in a nice hotel and just relax.This is a life changing moment, slow it down, savor it. Get used to your new self before having to go back to the hustle-bustle of airports or kids. Good luck, you'll do fine.

I will be 4 weeks out Tuesday. I remember waking up in recovery saying that I was going to throw up, but I never did. I've not experienced any vomiting at all. I had slight nausea on day 3, but once I started taking the acid reducer the dr prescribed that ended. Without question the worst part was the gas pain, and some people don't even experience that at all! The next worst thing was incision pain/discomfort on my largest incision, but that wasn't a big deal at all! The first 4-5 days were the toughest in terms of discomfort, but once I had those days behind me the rest has been awesome!! I'm loving my sleeve and I thank God every day for giving me the opportunity to have this surgery. :D

Yes, this has pretty much been my experience as well.

I will be 4 weeks out Tuesday. I remember waking up in recovery saying that I was going to throw up, but I never did. I've not experienced any vomiting at all. I had slight nausea on day 3, but once I started taking the acid reducer the dr prescribed that ended. Without question the worst part was the gas pain, and some people don't even experience that at all! The next worst thing was incision pain/discomfort on my largest incision, but that wasn't a big deal at all! The first 4-5 days were the toughest in terms of discomfort, but once I had those days behind me the rest has been awesome!! I'm loving my sleeve and I thank God every day for giving me the opportunity to have this surgery. :D

The worst part for me was that they kept coming into my room to check this and that on both me and the person in the other bed. (same surgery) I brought a sleep mask and earplugs which allowed me to sleep well and I recommend you do this also. I even brought an extra pair in case I had a roommate- I did so we both rested! I also told the nurses and techs to feel free to check anything they want, just don't wake me unless they have to. They obliged me! Also, even though you can't have Water for 24 hours, they will let you brush your teeth so rinse your mouth several times! It helps with the dry mouth.

I had no nauseau or vomiting after surgery. I did have a really dry mouth and those little glycering sponges on a stick they let you have to wipe out your mouth were a godsend. I would take some of the mouth spray I saw recommended on a post for the same reason.

I spent one nite in the hospital then went home to recover. Learning what I could and couldn't cofortably and what hurt took a day or two. It also took me a few days to shake off the effects of the anasthesia (normal reaction for me every time I have had surgery). I took many naps as the drugs worked out of my system. Getting up and down from laying flat or being in the recliner was a learned skill.

Other than that - no problems. Good luck!

I had no nauseau or vomiting after surgery. I did have a really dry mouth and those little glycering sponges on a stick they let you have to wipe out your mouth were a godsend. I would take some of the mouth spray I saw recommended on a post for the same reason.

I spent one nite in the hospital then went home to recover. Learning what I could and couldn't cofortably and what hurt took a day or two. It also took me a few days to shake off the effects of the anasthesia (normal reaction for me every time I have had surgery). I took many naps as the drugs worked out of my system. Getting up and down from laying flat or being in the recliner was a learned skill.

Other than that - no problems. Good luck!

I had a burning pain immediately after surgery. Then when I tried to sip, it felt like swallowing a golf ball (every time). Oh yeah and the concrete bowels OMGosh I really thought I was going to have to go the emergency, but it passed (literally). Mentally I felt like a failure for not being able to drink my Protein Shakes, drink enough Water, or take my Vitamins (that was depressing)...But it was all worth it!

I love reading this info! It is so helpful. Tomorrow is the big day for me, I have to be at the hospital by 9:15. I'll let you all know how it went once I'm on the other side. Now, let's see if I get any sleep tonight! :-D

I love reading this info! It is so helpful. Tomorrow is the big day for me, I have to be at the hospital by 9:15. I'll let you all know how it went once I'm on the other side. Now, let's see if I get any sleep tonight! :-D

I was shocked to see that I slept like a baby the night before surgery! I thought I would be up all night, but that was not the case! Best wishes tomorrow!!!

My recovery was great. Acceptable levels of pain, discomfort and anusea very well managed by the health team. being alone was alos managed well with the support of the team and regular constact with my kids.

The worst was day 2 when I felt very down. I was so down I could not put in words what i was really feeling or why I was so sad. I still do not know what was that... anestesia, medication, body reaction to the trauma, fear ... whatever was that was gone by day 4, thanks God!:D

Worst parts:

- Nasogastric tube: I wasn't aware I would wake up with one, it was horrendously uncomfortable on my throat and made me gag every time I moved my head. Ended up having it for 4 days.. awful the whole time. I must have bugged every dr and nurse I saw asking to take it out, and I actually considered pulling it out myself!

- Shoulder pain: Sore shoulder when I woke up with what felt like a huge lump on the back near neck. Think it was just gas but it felt like a massive bruise. Heat packs helped.

- Swallow test the day after surgery: felt ill from being wheeled fast around corners to the test, then had to stand up with butt hanging out of hospital gown and try to drink horrible gastrograffin I thought I was going to throw up. Ugh.

- Peeing in small bedpan postop and overflowing it and wetting the bed.. awfully embarrassing although at the time I didn't care that much. I was just grateful I had a lovely nurse who cleaned it up right away and was very kind.

- The noise in the ICU the first night. There was some old guy who was out of it and calling out and trying to get out of bed.. all I remember hearing all that first night is "JOHN! Lay down! JOHN!". Heh.

Honestly after the first month this is all a blur and nothing. I can barely remember most of it now. I had a great recovery and although I had some throwing up as I was transitioning to solid foods and trying to figure out how much to eat, I haven't had that since.

I am 4 days post op and miserable. I can"t swallow more than a sip or two and I have pressure in my stomach. I have to burp to relieve the pressure and feel better. How long will this last?

I am 4 days post op and miserable. I can"t swallow more than a sip or two and I have pressure in my stomach. I have to burp to relieve the pressure and feel better. How long will this last?