Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the worst part after surgery ?

What was the worst thing right after surgery ? Did u vomit? Was there alot of nausea ? Im so scared and I feel like second guessing my decision my surgery is on august 15 th and im starting to freak out .... Please someone let me know what to exspect

No nausea, no vomiting, no real pain, but the first night after surgery my mouth was SO dry. Like desert dry, drought dry, Sahara dry. I rang for the nurse and they speeded up the IV drip and I felt lots better until the next day when I could have some liquid.< /p>

The worst part for me was the day i left the hospital and the gas pains i was getting. But every day after that got better and better

Remember to walk around as much as possible

My daughter and I both threw up JUST after surgery but we both have always vomited after surgery. It did NOT hurt!! We both had minimal pain, and for me the worst part was that my drain leaked ALL OVER the bed and I had to get up and shower during the night. All in all NOT BAD for a surgery in my opinion. I would never hesitate to have this done it was not bad at all.

Swallowing. It was just hard to do, but the next day, I was fine. Just take your pain meds and you'll do fine.

I had 2 stitches in my largest incision. It ended up the stitch was to tight and it got infected. He popped the stitch and i had to put a que tip with peroxide down in the hole and it was the most grossest thing in my life I've ever done. After all that I would still do it again but learned my lesson that I should have spoke up and said something.

I had 5 small incisions and none of them hurt after I woke up, the pain was actually gas pains in my stomach. apparently the fill the tummy wth air and once I started burping, things got better. Also the 4 days after surgery was torture for me.... Not the pain, but the need for Water was insane. I just wanted water, that's all.

I had 5 small incisions and none of them hurt after I woke up, the pain was actually gas pains in my stomach. apparently the fill the tummy wth air and once I started burping, things got better. Also the 4 days after surgery was torture for me.... Not the pain, but the need for Water was insane. I just wanted Water, that's all.

Could you not have water?:blink:

Today is my 6 month surgiversary, sleeved 1/29/11. As I thought about your question I remember how scared I was to have the surgery. After the surgery I had a very uneventful recovery. Minimally pain after surgery at the hospital and my biggest problem was that I felt like I was going to throw up right after the surgery but that was minimal and I was given nausea (sp??) medication for that. The most difficult part for me in the past 6 months has been reconciling what I can eat with what I want to eat and finding different ways to comfort myself during times of stress than eating. The head hunger to me is far worse than any surgical problems. Good luck to you!

My doctor did not allow Water the first 24 hours and THAT was the worst part. The first day was the worst and I had these thoughts about why I did it. But they went away the second day when I could take a sip of water:) Just get through the first day and you will be golden.

Like many others, I had no real pain after surgery. My first memory waking up was pain in my left shoulder. Thanks to this board I now realize that was gas pain from the CO2 they inject into your abdomen during surgery, but no one at the hospital told me that. The worst part for me was insomnia the first night after surgery. I would think I slept for hours and the clock moved 3 minutes. I swear it was the longest night of my life. I also had intense thirst. No Water allowed, but they did give me ice chips which helped a lot. The first time I got up to walk (which was about 4 hours after surgery) I was pretty weak and shaky. I held on to the railings in the hall way for dear life. When I got up to walk the morning after surgery I was pretty nauseous. The nurse suggested that it might be due to the IV pain medication. I stopped "pressing the button" immediately since I really wasn't feeling any pain anyway and the sickness went away.

The surgery itself was actually not as bad as I expected. What I didn't expect was how difficult it would be to drink the Protein shakes and Water afterwards. It was a real struggle for me and I didn't meet my Doctor's minimums for several days. shakes I had liked during the pre-op stage I couldn't tolerate after surgery so it was a scramble to try new and different things. I tried water at every temp before finding that bottled water at room temperature worked the best. I could only tolerate bottled water for about 3 weeks, even though I had always drank tap water prior.

I wish you all the best with your surgery. Please don't back out at this stage. Just do a lot of reading and be well prepared. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Marie

You will do well and have a smooth recovery. It is normal to have second thoughts and fears, but you have come this far don't stop. You have alot of cheerleaders on here and we are here if you have any other questions.

I am so glad to read the responses, I go in on monday 8/1 and i am hoping that I have a smooth recovery :D

That was my BIGGEST fear was being sick. I HATE to throw up and feel sick like that!

It didn't stop me from getting sleeved tho!!

Luckly, I didn't get sick or nausea. I am 11 weeks out and still have not been!! YAY

The worst thing for me was the gas!! OMG!! IT WAS BAD!!

I felt horrible and could not even sit up straight. I didn't have pain from the surgery at all. It was all gas in my belly!! It lasted about 3 days and then I got really bad farting! LOL, TMI i know and then diahreah for about a week!! But, it made me feel so much better!!

Kelly ;)