Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I met with my surgeon he said the Bougie he uses is a size 34....I really have no idea if that's something I should be worried about or is it average in size with most VSG surgeries. Is it too small? What size Bougies are your surgeons using, or if you've already had VSG what size did your doctor use? Should I have an option?

A 34 is on the smaller side. My Dr. uses a 34 and oversews to a 32. My sleeve is *very* small!! But... I'm glad because I could probably do some damage if it were any bigger. I needed this surgery for a reason!

Mine uses a 34 bougie on most women and will use a 36 on some men. He said if you get too small then the stomach can twist.

Khy

MIne uses a 40 which seems to be on the larger end. Studies have shown that bougie sizes don't correlate to weight loss the way we'd think.

My doctor uses a size 40. I eat about 3/4 cup of food and have lost 86 pounds in less than 7 months. I don't have reflux and don't need to take anything.

My Dr used a 36. As mentioned earlier, a 34 can twist, or so they say ... But you must remember, that us only the diameter. Everybody's length is going to be different, so you can't use that to determine what your capacity will be. The difference between a 34 and a 36 is a meer fraction of an inch. Talk to your Dr and find what works best for you.

Mine is a 34 then oversewn. So far so good. There is not that much difference between the 32-40 from everything I've read.

:)

Mine uses 32 and oversees. So far no problems but still early postoperative.

34 :)

My surgeon uses a 34 but he told me it's not the size of the bougie it's the size of the pouch that is created. He said you could have a small bougie and make a bigger pouch or a larger bougie and make a smaller pouch. Sometimes the size of the bougie correlates to the size of the pouch and sometimes it doesn't. I would ask him how big your pouch will be, since that's a better indicator of how much you'll be able to consume and probably the rate of your weight loss.

Yeah, mine leaves the lower part a little wider so there is less likelihood of a stricture or it being too tight where the stomach is the most dense and toughest to stretch, but he sews the top by angling it in. That's where the stomach is the stretchiest and produces the hunger producing hormone. He is trying to eliminate a stretchy pouch.