Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good luck to you! I know when I eat refined sugar and carbs it makes me hungry for more... Backing off even a little might make a big difference.

aoa- your three years out, are you at goal? You have more experience being sleeved then me, I'm 8 months. Quiting smoking is such a tough addiction to quit, so that is really an accomplishment, of course by rewarding you with making you hungry. Talk with doctor maybe they can tell you what you can do. The only thing I hope to always be able to do is limit my carbs they make me feel hungry and slugish. I'm also thinking if your at goal your calories might me okay. I'm interested in hearing more about the last three years for you if you wouldn't mind sharing. I think your further out than anyone on this forum. Thank you Janine

Oh dear, may be it'll help the other 2. Some VSGers just don't lose their hunger. It appears to be a bigger problem among GPSers though - me included! angry.gif

Am I correct that Plication the stomach remains intact, just folded? So you still have grehlin, the hunger hormone. SO hunger would, unfortunately , stay.

I am one of the lucky ones with no hunger since surgery day- and I so appreciate it. I feel for all of you who still get hungry. xoxo

I find that if I am distracted I don't run into this as much as if I am sitting at home watching TV for example. I had been having a small snack after dinner but I am now trying to knock that out and not do it anymore. Sometimes liquids help - nice big glass of ice tea for example. For me it depends on what I am doing... I am trying to be aware of this so I don't go back to bad habbits before surgery. I do get hungry but it is nothing like is used to be. Now it is something like.. oh I should eat... (get distracted by the computer) one hour later oh yea I was going to eat haha. :)

Me toooo I have a countdown till i can at least have cottage cheese yogurt and ricotta ...been on broth for like a month now including before surgery!! ahhhhhh

I cant help you since am still in the fluids phase so I am alwayes HUNGRY :'( it seems like forever to me :(

Hey guys, thanks for the nice thoughts. Indeed, this crazy hungry and some sleep change started since 2 March, when I quit nicotine of any kind. I bought pills "Tabex" from ebay (I saw many people were buying those and I though would be nice to give it a try) and NTB cigars from pharmacy. NTB are those cigars without nicotine and tobacco. I felt this would be a perfect combination if tabex would work for me to quit. I had a huge shock for myself for first time in my life not to crave for a cig. After 17 years and 1-3 packs per day, I`ve quit in 1 and a half day instead of 3 as Tabex prospect said.

About my VSG, I had it back in 2008 at the end of January. I have only 1.60m and I had 120 kgs and at VSG my doctor said I had 95kg but he could be wrong if I lied. I was ashamed, I was looking like a little cow.

Anyway, all went perfect, surgery, my weight now is around 61-64 kg witch put me under normal category.

Indeed I was very hungry until 2 days ago, my doctor said that could be from the fact I quit smoking. Anyway, his only advices was: not to check my weight every day (witch I do lol), not to count calories (witch I do) and to eat 3 meals per day and nothing between them. He said that if I show to my body that I could eat from 2 in 2 hours, the body is asking over and over and this is why I am so starved.

I listened him in ... big lines, I still think as an obese, I ate 3 meals and I listen my friend who advised me to reduce carbs. So I ate around 1100 calories, 100.4 Proteins and only 61.4 carbs.

It worked for me, I felt only for 10 minutes in the morning some hungry or false acid reflux I don`t know. I took a pill for acid and it passed away. I hope this will work for you too. I still crave for chocolates and ice-creams and any cookie possible (I cook for my bf daily...) but I have my goal, I don`t want to be anymore the chubby girl who used to dress in black clothes and didn`t want to go to beach etc etc etc. I guess you already know the story of being obese...

Wish you to be healthy

aoa

Me toooo I have a countdown till i can at least have cottage cheese yogurt and ricotta ...been on broth for like a month now including before surgery!! ahhhhhh

I have more 4 days to go now :D but the days are going so slow !!!

Thank you aoa, its nice to read about someone 3 years out who is successful (and you are). It gives all of us hope. Also you struggled with quiting smoking and your successful at that too. You should feel really proud of yourself. Believe me I still crave sweets,always will. I have to have them once in while. Take care, Janine

Hey guys, thanks for the nice thoughts. Indeed, this crazy hungry and some sleep change started since 2 March, when I quit nicotine of any kind. I bought pills "Tabex" from ebay (I saw many people were buying those and I though would be nice to give it a try) and NTB cigars from pharmacy. NTB are those cigars without nicotine and tobacco. I felt this would be a perfect combination if tabex would work for me to quit. I had a huge shock for myself for first time in my life not to crave for a cig. After 17 years and 1-3 packs per day, I`ve quit in 1 and a half day instead of 3 as Tabex prospect said.

About my VSG, I had it back in 2008 at the end of January. I have only 1.60m and I had 120 kgs and at VSG my doctor said I had 95kg but he could be wrong if I lied. I was ashamed, I was looking like a little cow.

Anyway, all went perfect, surgery, my weight now is around 61-64 kg witch put me under normal category.

Indeed I was very hungry until 2 days ago, my doctor said that could be from the fact I quit smoking. Anyway, his only advices was: not to check my weight every day (witch I do lol), not to count calories (witch I do) and to eat 3 meals per day and nothing between them. He said that if I show to my body that I could eat from 2 in 2 hours, the body is asking over and over and this is why I am so starved.

I listened him in ... big lines, I still think as an obese, I ate 3 meals and I listen my friend who advised me to reduce carbs. So I ate around 1100 calories, 100.4 Proteins and only 61.4 carbs.

It worked for me, I felt only for 10 minutes in the morning some hungry or false acid reflux I don`t know. I took a pill for acid and it passed away. I hope this will work for you too. I still crave for chocolates and ice-creams and any cookie possible (I cook for my bf daily...) but I have my goal, I don`t want to be anymore the chubby girl who used to dress in black clothes and didn`t want to go to beach etc etc etc. I guess you already know the story of being obese...

Wish you to be healthy

aoa

Hi Meggie, yes your understanding of GPS is correct. But this post from Dr Watkins on grehlin is interesting http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/7413-id-like-to-share-my-experience-after-2-weeks-of-gastric-plication/page__st__60 Below is an extract from his post :

"Ghrelin is reduced by pressure on the gastric wall. You do not have to remove stomach to reduce ghrelin. Ghrelin is a feedback hormone meaning when the gastric wall is stretched, ghrelin levels are reduced. The reason ghrelin levels are lower in sleeve gastrectomy patients is due to the smaller size stomach, not from removing stomach tissue. The sleeve that remains still produces ghrelin and levels are reduced by pressure. "

So I believe, from what I've read, that levels of grehlin increase for all of us, just more slowly for VSG than GPS.

Am I correct that Plication the stomach remains intact, just folded? So you still have grehlin, the hunger hormone. SO hunger would, unfortunately , stay.

I am one of the lucky ones with no hunger since surgery day- and I so appreciate it. I feel for all of you who still get hungry. xoxo

Interstingly there are a few DSers getting re-sleeved over on OH, here's an example http://www.obesityhe...4352103/page,2/

They're further out than most people on here. The main difference between the 2 sleeves is that with DS they remove 75% of the stomach whereas with VSG they remove 85% and you have to hope that extra 10% help avoids or at least delays the need for re-sleeving.

Interstingly there are a few DSers getting re-sleeved over on OH, here's an example http://www.obesityhe...4352103/page,2/

They're further out than most people on here. The main difference between the 2 sleeves is that with DS they remove 75% of the stomach whereas with VSG they remove 85% and you have to hope that extra 10% help avoids or at least delays the need for re-sleeving.

My doctor uses a 32 bougie- my sleeve is tiny- even if it triples in size I will only be able to eat 3/4 cup! I am actually amazed how little I can eat. O that part I am not worried about! EVen though right now he seems to be a little sadistic :D I know in the future I will be glad.

As for the grehlin- I am going to ask my doc about that...

Ok I left a reply yesterday but when I hit Post, the site was down....

So I am going to write again what I wanted to say yesterday.

It`s been 4 days since my crazy hunger days. I don`t feel it anymore. I wrote to doctor, being desperate, I was starved even if I ate that day around 1900 calories witch were way too many.

My dr said to calm down and eat 3 meals per day. Something like eat as much as you can but only 3 meals per day.

My best friend open my eyes. She told me to eat more Protein and less carb. And that worked!!! I don`t feel hungry anymore at all. I even ate fruits, witch I didn`t used to eat and everything is alright.

PS: I already lost 1 kg :)

I am happy! Now I stay around 1,000-1,300 cals and I are two ice-creams too ;)

Thanks for your support!

Aoa

I'm glad you figured things out. Thats interesting what your doctor said about the three meals. Right now I can't eat just three meals because I don't eat that much. I need 5 or 6 small meals but it reminds that when a meal is over its over and nibbles of food add up. The Protein is like the magic key. Thanks for posting you give a view for the future for many, Janine

Ok I left a reply yesterday but when I hit Post, the site was down....

So I am going to write again what I wanted to say yesterday.

It`s been 4 days since my crazy hunger days. I don`t feel it anymore. I wrote to doctor, being desperate, I was starved even if I ate that day around 1900 calories witch were way too many.

My dr said to calm down and eat 3 meals per day. Something like eat as much as you can but only 3 meals per day.

My best friend open my eyes. She told me to eat more Protein and less carb. And that worked!!! I don`t feel hungry anymore at all. I even ate fruits, witch I didn`t used to eat and everything is alright.

PS: I already lost 1 kg :)

I am happy! Now I stay around 1,000-1,300 cals and I are two ice-creams too ;)

Thanks for your support!

Aoa

Hey Tnt,

I'm pretty much hungry every 2-3 hours throughout the day and it drives me nuts! I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones who doesn't experience hunger, but nope! I have found that I seriously need to watch my calorie intake or I will over eat. I am able to eat way more than most people at only 5 1/2 weeks out and it freaks me out.

Just looking for comparison

After eating, when are you hungry again? I'm talking belly growling, feeling like you need to eat something, not just the "I want to eat b/c I'm bored"

I'm finding I eat about 250cal for Breakfast, then 2 hours later my belly is growling. I try to make it wait another hour and then eat about 100 calories. About 2 hours later I'll eat lunch which is about 300 calories. About 2 hours again, I'm hungry. It's now about 3:30 and I have to wait until 4-ish for dinner. I eat another 300-ish calories and then at 7, I'm hungry again. I'll have a snacking throughout 7-10p of about 200 calories. I then walk a mile and burn about 300 calories. I might or might not eat a few slices of cucumbers or a slice of cheese right before bed.

I'm just wondering if anybody else finds themselves hungry frequently. It's nothing like the ravenous hunger I had before surgery, but it's a gnawing that feels like it could turn ugly. :rolleyes:

OK, I'm really confused now. Can anyone explain about DSers and GVS (I'm assuming the GVS is the Gastric vertical sleeve) but have no idea what the DS is. Nor do I know about the bougie and the different sizes. Please helpunsure.gif