Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you shop for new clothes???

I try to stay away from the stores, but at least twice a month a go and buy new clothes only to not really wear them long. I just purchased a 2X top and 2X tights- both are way too big. I should have went with a 1x top I think and a 1x pair of tights... I only spent 12 bucks but I still have buyers remorse b/c they fit bad. SO, the big question is... How often do you shop and when you shop do you suggest buying smaller sizes, etc???

I had surgery 5/9/11 and have bought new work pants 4 times. About every few weeks I need new ones!

I usually shop at places like Goodwill, Ross, Marshalls, TJ MAX and Kohls. They have great selections of clearance clothing for cheap. That way when I can only wear pants for 2-3 weeks, I don't feel so bad when I pay $10 for them!

I have went from a 22/24 to a loose 12. I just bought some new pants yesterday. I tend to buy them a little tight because in about a week or so, they will fit perfectly! LOL

Kelly :D

I guess it depends on how many sizes you have on hand in your closet. I have been "shrinking through my closet" since my sleeve on 2/22. But I found I had some gaps - items I needed that I didn't have in a size (guess I gave the items away in the past). When I had a gap - I bought clothes. I also live in the middle of nowhere - and it is WAY TO EASY to shop online.

When I do buy an item, I look at the style to see if it is going to be easy to take in a size when I shrink out of its original size - that way I get more good out of the item I purchased. I also have bought some of the Chico brand Travelers garments - because of their fabric and the way they are made - I can wear them a long time (a stretchy knit fabric).

If you have trouble judging what size you are now - go by your measurements - waist, hips and bust. Check the store you are going to shop at, go to their website first, and look at their size guidelines. Find out the size you think you should be, then when you go to their store, try on that size first. Also try on the next smaller size, because unless you need to wear it right now, you will fit the next smaller size SOON.

When underwear or bras get too big, I throw them out. I can't stand baggy undies. I have gone to wearing the bra from the informercials (genie bra) because it shrinks with me. I am not an overly endowed woman and they work great for me.

I haven't tried Ross or TJ Maxx yet, I may need to! I usually go to Forever 21 and shop in the plus size section but I would love to get more for less money so I definitely may need to check that out!

Good advice! Thanks! I was just wondering about the genie bra! My bras are so loose now.... I really need to look into the genie bra!

I guess it depends on how many sizes you have on hand in your closet. I have been "shrinking through my closet" since my sleeve on 2/22. But I found I had some gaps - items I needed that I didn't have in a size (guess I gave the items away in the past). When I had a gap - I bought clothes. I also live in the middle of nowhere - and it is WAY TO EASY to shop online.

When I do buy an item, I look at the style to see if it is going to be easy to take in a size when I shrink out of its original size - that way I get more good out of the item I purchased. I also have bought some of the Chico brand Travelers garments - because of their fabric and the way they are made - I can wear them a long time (a stretchy knit fabric).

If you have trouble judging what size you are now - go by your measurements - waist, hips and bust. Check the store you are going to shop at, go to their website first, and look at their size guidelines. Find out the size you think you should be, then when you go to their store, try on that size first. Also try on the next smaller size, because unless you need to wear it right now, you will fit the next smaller size SOON.

When underwear or bras get too big, I throw them out. I can't stand baggy undies. I have gone to wearing the bra from the informercials (genie bra) because it shrinks with me. I am not an overly endowed woman and they work great for me.

Yes buy snug fitted clothes if possible...You can lose in big chunks from one week to the next. I literally skipped size 10 all together. So I started buying clothes that were snug and they would start fitting pretty quickly and lasted longer.

I'm definitely gonna try it :)

Yes buy snug fitted clothes if possible...You can lose in big chunks from one week to the next. I literally skipped size 10 all together. So I started buying clothes that were snug and they would start fitting pretty quickly and lasted longer.

I shop for things waaay too much. but i think i have a shopping addiction lol

i purchased a pair of pants about a month ago, and they fall off of me today. so today i went to buy more pants and got a shirt.

I'm selling my clothes on ebay now and they're doing well, so i don't feel so bad if they don't fit in a month or so. but i don't buy anything full retail price. i only shop on sale/clearance racks because i know i won't fit into them. and i tend not to buy staple items.

I did the DUMBEST thing yesterday! I was in Modesto at the mall, and without even thinking I went into Lane Bryant. I tried on some clothes, and fell in love with this little white cotton shrug sweater. (I didn't try the shrug on though.) I picked out three of them, same style, but in different colors and bought them. When I got home, I cut the tags off and hung them in my closet, as I went to throw the tags away, I happened to look at them, I had purchased size 26-28 out of habit, without even thinking that I have already lost 44 pounds! How dumb is that? I am going to try and take them back. I saved the tags, even though I cut them off, and of course, I have the receipt. I hope they will exchange them for a smaller size! I am so used to buying the largest size available! I need to "reset" my mind!!!! (Or in my husband's opinion, STOP buying clothes!!!)

This is a tough subject for me right now. I was trying to just stick with clothes that I already had in my closet from when I was smaller. Then dang! a friend I was driving with stopped by Marshalls to return some clothes. I went in with her- BIG BIG mistake. Things are so cheap there that I justified it that way. It really can be like an addiction- get a little and end up craving more. I went to Younkers the next day and did some major damage! Younkers is my favorite store! I love the stuff but really need to return some clothes. I went overboard. I did buy some that will fit in 10lbs or so and I bought some stuff on clearance that I anticipate wearing next summer (that might've been a mistake). :)

I try to stay away from the stores, but at least twice a month a go and buy new clothes only to not really wear them long. I just purchased a 2X top and 2X tights- both are way too big. I should have went with a 1x top I think and a 1x pair of tights... I only spent 12 bucks but I still have buyers remorse b/c they fit bad. SO, the big question is... How often do you shop and when you shop do you suggest buying smaller sizes, etc???

I cannot stay out of - A. Old Navy, B. Ross, C. Lane Bryant ... it really is becoming ridiculous lol I buy stuff every weekend almost! LOL and nowwww.. I am buying things that are 2 sizes too small so I can wear it in the fall .. yep.. bought me a cute Olive green military type jacket at Old Navy today it was 50% off :) In my defense, I do NOT buy regular priced items at this point.. but .. cute shirts at Ross for 8.99 .. yeah its not on the rack for long if im there. Girl.. you worked hard for this.. as long as its on sale and you can afford it.. SPLURGE a little!!! :)

Can anyone tell me--in regard to "normal-size-only" stores--what is the largest size they normally carry? I'm teetering on a size 18 right now, and I'm wondering when I'll be able to make the switch!

Can anyone tell me--in regard to "normal-size-only" stores--what is the largest size they normally carry? I'm teetering on a size 18 right now, and I'm wondering when I'll be able to make the switch!

The normal stores stop at 14 mostly... Old navy is a great choice and gap for ur in between!

I haven't done any shopping yet. I tend to wear "stretchy" pants and lean more towards over-size clothing anyways. My family keeps telling me I need new clothes though, but they're just not that important to me yet....maybe in a couple of sizes it'll be more important. For now, loving my yoga pants :)

If you're a clothes horse, go for it as long as you have the cash, and enjoy them while you can!

Thanks for the tips everyone!