Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too drastic a step for BMI of 31?

I am considering vsg and I'm having trouble making a decision. My reasons for wanting it are back pain, lack of energy and yes, vanity. I feel like if I don't have the surgery that I will just continue gaining weight , and eventually my BMI will be much higher, and I will have wished I had addressed the problem earlier. Also, if I do have the surgery, I want to keep it secret from everyone but my family because I fear being judged. Any thoughts?

Other than back pain and loss of energy, i also had knee pains. I have tried every diet there is and always ended up gaining weight as I could not control what I ate. I was quite afraid of the surgery, as I would be for any surgery - and this is a major one, believe me - but I went ahead and did it. I did it on the 1st of July, have already lost 5 kilos and I am very excited for my future. For me, being a person who cannot control herself with food, the only way out of it was ending the hunger. I have not eaten since the 30th of June and I am not hungry!

In the last two years I gained 20 kilos and I am just going up. My BMI is around 40 today and I too was afraid of it increasing. I am not sure however if you can have the operation with a BMI below 40.

Furthermore, my age (32) was an important factor in my decision making. The body will recover after the surgery and readjust to the loss weight much easier. It will also give me chances for a healthier life.

Finally, regarding keeping it a secret from anyone but your family, I think you could also tell your close friends. You will need their support. I too feared about being judged but I am opening up to more people every day and it feels good. I have received no judgement, but rather supporting comments. Also, you should not be ashamed of this - it happens more and more every day. You should be proud for fighting obesity in any way you can.

One last comment: Get references for the doctor you choose - it is a very delicate procedure!

My BMI is also 31, my date is July 13th. Much like you I have back pain, lack of energy ect- my biggest reason for doing the Sleeve is because I don't want to be fat anymore! No shame in it!! Iv tried more diets than I choose to type, some even put my life in danger! This is my fix- my tool to help my future be all it can be. I as well am not telling my peers. Mom, dad, and husband know- I am going to try to keep it that way!

Hindsight is 20/20. We all at one time or another probably never dreamed our weight would climb as high as it did. I know that's true for me. I ABSOLUTELY wish I would have had this done long ago. Of course, I didn't even know about it years ago. I say go for it. You might could lose some weight, but who is to say you won't gain more in the future? You have a chance many of us never did, you can stop it before it gets out of hand. And before your skin gets stretched into oblivion. Maintenance is hard after you lose. A tool like this will help. Good luck to yousmile.gif

I say go for it! I wish I would have had this tool and would have done it much younger and much lighter than I am now. Good luck to you and good luck making your decision! :)

I was overweight by 75lbs for so many years with yo yo dieting. Would lose 20, gain 25, lose 30, gain back 35 and so on.

As long as you and your surgeon are good then do this. Also you will need to self pay because insurance will not pay for VSG with a low BMI. Good luck - the sleeve works!

I was sleeved two weeks ago. My bmi was 29.8. I did it because I was sick of being so tired and out of control with my eating all the time. I have sleep apnea and high cholesterol and i hated looking in the mirror!!!!! My weight was holding me back in life an I wanted to live again. Nothing is more important than feeling good and being happy, nothing! I wanted to feel good ad be happy so I did it. I went to Dr Almanza in TJ Mexico. They were the best ever! Just go for it. It is worth it.

My BMI is 33. I am having it done. Just need to finish up a bit more paperwork. Probably a five week wait give or take. I lost my dad to diabetes a couple of years ago. My mom was really big too. I have tried every diet invented and then some. I have to give myself credit... I am a top notch dieter. I have lost 60 Lbs off and on. It always comes back slowly but surely! Like theif in the night robbing me. Right now I just completed my second 3 month 10K clinic with the running room. I love running but it's sooo hard with 75 extra pounds. I had a BMI of 31 last month. I know where this is going. I am 42 years old. I know myself. And I do not care if someone thinks my BMI is too low. My doctor thinks I will live longer, that's what I care about. Because I want to share my life with my kids and husband. This is a personal decision.

My BMI was 33 at surgery. I suffered with bad knees, joints, etc. I feel so much better now. I say go for it!

Go for it! :thumbs_up:

I had a higher BMI and I knew it was the right decision for me. I couldn't be happier about my decision because I know that I could not have lost weight without it, believe me, I tried everything.

Renee`

Go for it! :thumbs_up:

I had a higher BMI and I knew it was the right decision for me. I couldn't be happier about my decision because I know that I could not have lost weight without it, believe me, I tried everything.

Renee`

My bmi is 31 n i choose to be sleeved n end this diet failure once n 4 all.;-)

I too have a BMI of 31 and I don't at all think that surgery is too drastic. You have to remember that surgery is a tool and it is not in any means a cure all for weight loss. There is not a surgery out there that cannot be sabotaged. That explains so many revisions. Also...over the years a pouch can stretch out and you can begin to gain weight. Look at the statistics....most people lose initially and then further out they may gain 10-15 lbs. sometimes more. I say go for it! The most important thing is to find a competent doctor and to choose the right surgery for you. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

I am considering vsg and I'm having trouble making a decision. My reasons for wanting it are back pain, lack of energy and yes, vanity. I feel like if I don't have the surgery that I will just continue gaining weight , and eventually my BMI will be much higher, and I will have wished I had addressed the problem earlier. Also, if I do have the surgery, I want to keep it secret from everyone but my family because I fear being judged. Any thoughts?

An update

Thank you all for helping me make the right decision! I am now 4 months out and 42 lbs lighter. I did research dr.s and decided on Dr. Kelly in TJ. - also a very good choice! I did not lose as quickly as some with higher bmi's , but that also meant not losing my hair and not too much loose skin. My back pain has improved some, not as much as I'd hoped, but then again, I'm not taking handfuls of painkillers anymore making me groggy and lazy. I am still losing weight, and will soon be transitioning into maintenance. My entire experience has been so problem free, again, thank you fellow sleevers for your help. And BTW, I never have told anyone but immediate family, and that's worked well for me too.

For anyone with a lower BMI doing their research before making a decision, I HAVE NO REGRETS! It was definitely the right decision for me.