Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frozen shrimp?

Hi,

I've had the taste for shrimp but don't live where I can get fresh. Has anyone tried the frozen kind at Walmart, and is it good or nasty? Any good ways to prepare it or recipes? I saw a recipe in a magazine for bacon wrapped shrimp that sounded good. Thanks for any ideas!

:)

the frozen shrimp is good. I make mine the only way I know how, curried. . . many people don't like curry cause they are afraid how it smells but i've cooked with curry for over 30 years EVERYDAY and let me tell you it doesn't smell any weird ways. . . hope you find yourself a good receipe

Frozen shrimp is almost as good as fresh. The thing is to buy it raw frozen and not cooked frozen. Once it's cooked and frozen, the texture is all wrong. I buy the frozen bags of raw shrimp all the time. I live off the stuff now. And I love that I can take out just a few at a time and defrost them in warm Water in minutes. I prefer the jumbos because they hold the heat better. The little ones get cold fast.

I am usually in a hurry and don't go all out with fancy shrimp dishes unless it's a special occasion, but for a quick meal at home I usually just saute them in a pan (sometimes with asparagus) with some garlic or cajun seasoning or hot sauce. If you make them spicey, Greek yogurt mixed with dill makes a great dip. I also make stir fry with them. I just saute whatever veggies I have with the shrimp and make a slurry with soy suace, sesame oil, asian spices and toss it with the shrimp and veggies before serving. If you want it thick, add a little corn starch, but you don't need it.

Another favorite is to toss them in ff Italian dressing, put them on a skewer and grill them. The grill gives the shrimp nice flavor. Pre wls diet, I would make shrimp marinara and shrimp scampi. You could make both without the Pasta, but it depends on where you are in your diet. You could probably doctor those recipes up to make them more healthful.

Seriously, I live off the stuff now. I eat chicken breast, shrimp or salmon daily.

Well I am cheap and live nowhere near the sea so we only get frozen shrimp. Personally, I love them. I have no issue with frozen shrimps. I lived in SC years ago and we had endless fresh shrimp. Yes I like fresh better, but these are flash frozen so they taste pretty good!!

I can't wait to eat shrimp again. WAIT - I can't wait to EAT again! hahaha!

Frozen shrimp are fine. I'm actually a big fan of ALDI's frozen shrimp, it seems to taste the best and have the best texture of any frozen brands I've tried. But they don't carry peeled & tail off raw, which is my preference, so you have to peel them yourself (I had to peel 3 lbs lastnight for a shrimp Pasta dish... ugh...)

I don't eat red meat or pork (except the occasional bit of bacon as a flavor additive) so it's pretty much seafood or poultry, or a non-meat. We end up eating shrimp about 2x a week. Bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill is YUMMY. I would suggest tossing your shrimp in some olive oil for about an hour prior to wrapping in bacon. It doesn't hurt to put a bit of Kosher salt in the oil, or better yet - Cavendar's brand "greek seasoning" (but don't get the salt free one... yucky...)

SOme of my favorite ways to prepare:

Not waistline friendly -- but works for salad (tiny) shrimp very well, and is oh so yum. Mix sour cream & mayo in a ratio of 3:1 (e.g. 3/4C sour cream, 1/4C mayo is the amount I usually do). Add one small red onion, minced. Add a pinch of salt, a tiny pinch of white pepper, and as much fresh chopped dill as you care for. Stir together. Add about 1/4 lemon worth of fresh lemon juice, stir again. Add 1lb shrimp, cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve on dense bread, or just in a small bowl. Goes really well with some boiled egg slices and cucumber. (My husband is Swedish and I lived in Sweden for a while - this is a very typical summer lunch there)

Cooked in Kraft brand "Tuscan House" dressing, with sun dried tomatoes. Can serve over Pasta, or eat alone.

Shrimp alfredo (you can make a surprisingly killer alfredo off a cream cheese base, so it doesn't have to be intimidating), w/ or w/o pasta.

Butterflied, with a dollop of spinach/parmesan dip, then baked at 250 until cooked.

Mince 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, put in a large bowl. Mix it with a spoonful of Tomato paste. Add a cup of olive oil and about 1/2 bunch of chopped fresh parsley (I prefer flat leaf). Add several dashes of hot pepper sauce, or about a teaspoon of red paper flakes. Add a pinch of salt and let it sit together (doesnt need to be in the fridge) for about an hour. Stire in your shrimp, refrigerate, and marinate at least 4 hours. Then skewer & grill.

Like Red Lobster shrimp scampi? In a bakeable pan, whisk (lightly) 1C white wine, 1/2C melted unsalted butter, 3 tbl minced garlic. Add 1lb peeled & deveined shrimp, toss until throoughly coated. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes or until the shrimp has just turned pink. As soon as you take it out of the oven, top with a light sprinkle of parmesan (the grated kind like you put on pizza, not the fresh kind). Not exact, but kinda close.

Sorry, recipes aren't my strength. I kinda just eyeball it most of the time.

I get shrimp from our local meat market and even their shrimp is frozen when they get it. He defrosts it and puts some Cajun seasoning on the and puts them on skewers for me. I love to grill them!

Thanks for all the input and ideas, they sound great!! The only way I've ate shrimp and fish in the past has been the battered and deep fried variety lol. So I am not very creative. This all sounds yummy! I will definitely give them a try.

:)

We use the frozen shrimp bags too, Jumbo sized shrimp. They are good, and very convenient. I will typically stir fry them with tons of mixed green veggies and whatnot. Yum!!!

LOL!!!!! Amen to that!!!!!! :-)

I can't wait to eat shrimp again. WAIT - I can't wait to EAT again! hahaha!

I second the idea of stir frying them. They taste better with something on them! We get them all the time and enjoy them.

I have to say though, I live in the South and you CAN NOT beat some good 'ol fresh Gulf shrimp. The oil spill was devastating to the Gulf, but they have recovered. Just went to Biloxi a couple weeks ago. Soooo yummy!