Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so scared to go to Mexico now.

I'm having surgery in a few weeks and my mother is everything but supportive. I told her I was having surgery but never told her that I was having my procedure done in Mexico. She basically told me to go a head and kill myself. My cousin also added into the conversation to spice it up like a hype man. They have me really scared to go. Telling me that Mexican in the drug cartel kill americans for our passports. I'm very ignorant to world news. I don't even watch the local news because she there's nothing good on it. I haven't heard of this whole war between Mexicans and Americans. I told her to stop being negative but I'm scared now thinking that although many people have gone to dr. kelly and have nothing happen to them, but what if that day isn't my lucky day and I'm abducted. Maybe I'm over reacting... *sigh* I wish i never told her where I was going and just did what I had to do. What sucks even more is i'm going alone by myself.

I went to Mexicali on my own and felt safe to walk the streets.

There is another member who's mother said what do you want me to do with your body when you die in Mexico. Of course the member made it back safe and sound and is at goal and living life to the fullest.

I am sure Dr. Kelly patients will fill you in on how safe they felt.

I never felt scared or concerned for my safety at all. They transported us everywhere, and I never saw any violence or strange behavior at all. I never went anywhere other than where they took me.

I'm having surgery in a few weeks and my mother is everything but supportive. I told her I was having surgery but never told her that I was having my procedure done in Mexico. She basically told me to go a head and kill myself. My cousin also added into the conversation to spice it up like a hype man. They have me really scared to go. Telling me that Mexican in the drug cartel kill americans for our passports. I'm very ignorant to world news. I don't even watch the local news because she there's nothing good on it. I haven't heard of this whole war between Mexicans and Americans. I told her to stop being negative but I'm scared now thinking that although many people have gone to dr. kelly and have nothing happen to them, but what if that day isn't my lucky day and I'm abducted. Maybe I'm over reacting... *sigh* I wish i never told her where I was going and just did what I had to do. What sucks even more is i'm going alone by myself.

Of course they are going to tell you that. . . they don't want you to have the surgery. . . doomsayers is what i call them. . . but anyone whose gone to Mexico on this forum has definately not been killed by the drug cartel have they? Shheeeesh your family is something else girl! Good luck to you and you'll be fine. . . just remember if you let fear rule you, how will you ever come out on top on win this obesity battle???

I went to Tijuana and had concerns, they all proved to be groundless. Everything went fine and we did not have even a hint of any problems. Besides having to take a long flight back home post-op the whole thing went without any issues, the flight was just real uncomfortable, then again flying when you are as big as a house always WAS anyway, being "sick" from post-op and alone just made it worse.

Weigh the pros and cons and make your own decision. It worked out excellent for me and hundreds (thousands?) of others.

Just a thought...have you tried to find out if anyone from here will be going the same time/place as you? You may have to be alone during the flight, but at least in Mexico you would have some support.

Yeah lol i do have some crazy family members. The only one who truly supports my decision is my grandmother. She's my favorite person on the planet. I wouldn't know what I do if she wasn't here. She told me there is violence in Mexico but she thinks I will be safe and to continue with my surgery. I haven't found anyone having surgery on the same day as me. I'm having my procedure done on july 8th but I've found a lot of July 13th people. I'm thinking about moving my surgery back just to be with one of them lol. The thing is the ticket is cheaper if i get it done on the 8th then it would be for the 13th. I'm trying to save money but I guess I really can't.

Hi, you didn't say what city you are going to. I went to Mexicali and it is VERY safe. You family is uneducated when it comes to this. Remember this is ALL ABOUT YOU AND NOT THEM. You have to do what is best for you.

Ernesto is the driver for Dr. Aceves and he would NEVER put you in any danger if you are going to Dr. Aceves. Please relax. You can also go to the web site for the US State Department and they tell you what boarders are safe for you to cross and what cities are safe. If you have any question please just ask.

Hugs.

Hi, you didn't say what city you are going to. I went to Mexicali and it is VERY safe. You family is uneducated when it comes to this. Remember this is ALL ABOUT YOU AND NOT THEM. You have to do what is best for you.

Ernesto is the driver for Dr. Aceves and he would NEVER put you in any danger if you are going to Dr. Aceves. Please relax. You can also go to the web site for the US State Department and they tell you what boarders are safe for you to cross and what cities are safe. If you have any question please just ask.

Hugs.

I was orginally going to Dr. Aceves but now I'm going to Dr. Kelly in Tijuana. It was cheaper than Dr. Aceves and If i can save even a dollar I'd go for it. Tijuana doesn't have the best rep but I've talk to several of Dr. Kelly's patients and they've told me that they never had any incidence, or witnessed any violence. I've told my mother to simply drop the topic. She told me today that she's going to get insurance for me, so when I die she'll get some money. smh. She's never been supportive of ANYTHING i do so this is not a surprise to me. I'm thankful for Obesityhelp.com and this website for letting me talk to such positive people. I'd be lost if I never found these two websites.

Suzannesh...you hang tough girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could go with you and be your "surgery angel". I hate seeing all of you who are going it alone in Mexico. But you have us to rely on and we will be here for you each step of the way!

I had my lapband done in Mexico and I got all sorts of crazy reacations from people. I actually loved it when I went and had a great time! It was fun seeing another country. I had my revision to the sleeve done at home because my insurance started paying for WLS. If they hadn't covered it, I would have gone back to Mexico. You will do great. You are only there are few days and then you will be home and have the wonderful sleeve. We are here for you. Best wishes!

hey there. i went to Juarez Mexico which is where the worst of all of the mess over there just 2 months ago and was happily suprized at how safe and perfect my whole experience was.

I really think the media has way over hyped up the problems in Mexico. I've also read that there has been a huge improvement in Tijiuana and that Mexicali is very safe. Don't believe the hype. You could get killed going into the wrong neighborhood near your home. Second, WLS is very safe. There are risks with any surgery, but I wouldn't worry. I was told by my doctor that there is zero mortality rate through my hospital since they opened their bariatric department in 2002 and all they do is sleeve and RNY. If I were you, just don't talk to your mom about it until after you get back. Everything is going to be ok!

I went with my roomie to Piedras Negras, Mexico to have the sleeve sugery by Dr. Guillermo Alvarez @ Endobariatrics. We flew into San Antonio, their driver picked us up, took us to the border town of Eagle Pass, for an overnight stay, picked us up the morning of her surgery and took us through the border check, to the clinic. At the clinic the nurses did not speak English, but there is an assistant assigned to each of the patients who is fluent in English. She helps with patients, family, etc. They had a couch in the room for me to sleep on and provided a computer with free internet so that I could stay in touch with home. We could not have been treated any better. The doctor knew that I was also a sleeve patient and a nurse in the field of bariatric surgery myself. I was very pleased with the care that my friend recieved and have recommended Dr. Alvarez to others who have no insurance and cannot afford the surgery here in the US.

I had my band in Tijuana and my revision in Cancun. No problems in either place.

I can't imagine anyone saying such terrible things, especially your mother. I'm so sorry you are having to go thru this. Pre-surgery is stressful enough without having to put up with that nonsense.

I'd definately recommend asking her to not bring up the subject again.

Big hugs!