Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the Florida sleevers doing????

Gatorman, You didn't have to stay in for 2 nights? I'm totally shocked by that, since it's the minimum my doctor does. I'm also gonna have a drain for a week (ugh). It will all be worth it when it's over. I'm starting to get really nervous now about what's going to happen.

Gatorman, You didn't have to stay in for 2 nights? I'm totally shocked by that, since it's the minimum my doctor does. I'm also gonna have a drain for a week (ugh). It will all be worth it when it's over. I'm starting to get really nervous now about what's going to happen.

I got a letter from my insurance company saying they were only approving me for one night. But I have a feeling with my medical history (diabetes, sleep apnea, history of strokes) my surgeon will put in for an extra night or two...

I was a self pay patient, which could have been part of the reason for the shorter stay, but honestly I felt fine and they had already done all of the testing to check for leaks, I'm not sure they could have been able to keep me around for 2 nights. I might have just snuck out on my own.:lol:

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

I'm new to the forum, and new to the bariatric world. I'm a virgin in the subject as well. I have been researching and reading literally since yesterday and attended a seminar just last night by a surgeon in the Pembroke Pines area (Dr. Jeremy Gallego Eckstein), speaking of the 3 different surgeries, pros and cons. I had sworn I would NEVER do the gastric bypass, and that is still my position. The lap band just doesn't seem as effective and I don't like the idea of having a foreign object in my abdominal area. So I've been seriously considerinig the VSG. I too, like others, am afraid of losing a part of my organ (stomach), but I AM SO READY FOR PERMANENT SOLUTION that I'm leaning in that direction very seriously. I have recently hit a new all time high of 242 lbs. I almost feel numb to this new number, but it sure is doing a number on my head and my heart. I'm 47 and 5'4". This just can't continue. I have an 18 yr old daughter, my only one, and I don't make a change NOW I may not enjoy my future grandchildren, and God knows I love kids!!!! I also have 2 little new adopted nephews, 4 and 1, whom I love with all my heart, and I can hardly keep up with them.

So I have been reading people's experiences. There have been some very good ones, with incredible weight losses, but some I've been haven't lost that much. I know everyone is different, their post-op is different, recovery, weight loss, etc.. **** I WOULD GREATLY appreciate hearing of the GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY from thos of you who have already had the surgery. I know a lot of you are very happy to see the weight come off, but I want to know what you have struggled with the most, AND if any of you have had the leakage problem, that seems to be the biggest issue after surgery. Dr. Eckstein last night, did make mention of this, thankfully, but he explained that he cauterizes the cut, stapples, AND glues it as well. Seems pretty "reinforced" but he said you never know...it can still happen and then he has to go back in to correct it.

P.S.****I TOO, AM A VSG FLORIDIAN.....in South Florida***** needless to say I don't know what it's like to enjoy our beaches and wear a bathing suit!! that's a no-no at my weight! (well at least when you have some self respect!!)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

I'm new to the forum, and new to the bariatric world. I'm a virgin in the subject as well. I have been researching and reading literally since yesterday and attended a seminar just last night by a surgeon in the Pembroke Pines area (Dr. Jeremy Gallego Eckstein), speaking of the 3 different surgeries, pros and cons. I had sworn I would NEVER do the gastric bypass, and that is still my position. The lap band just doesn't seem as effective and I don't like the idea of having a foreign object in my abdominal area. So I've been seriously considerinig the VSG. I too, like others, am afraid of losing a part of my organ (stomach), but I AM SO READY FOR PERMANENT SOLUTION that I'm leaning in that direction very seriously. I have recently hit a new all time high of 242 lbs. I almost feel numb to this new number, but it sure is doing a number on my head and my heart. I'm 47 and 5'4". This just can't continue. I have an 18 yr old daughter, my only one, and I don't make a change NOW I may not enjoy my future grandchildren, and God knows I love kids!!!! I also have 2 little new adopted nephews, 4 and 1, whom I love with all my heart, and I can hardly keep up with them.

So I have been reading people's experiences. There have been some very good ones, with incredible weight losses, but some I've been haven't lost that much. I know everyone is different, their post-op is different, recovery, weight loss, etc.. **** I WOULD GREATLY appreciate hearing of the GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY from thos of you who have already had the surgery. I know a lot of you are very happy to see the weight come off, but I want to know what you have struggled with the most, AND if any of you have had the leakage problem, that seems to be the biggest issue after surgery. Dr. Eckstein last night, did make mention of this, thankfully, but he explained that he cauterizes the cut, stapples, AND glues it as well. Seems pretty "reinforced" but he said you never know...it can still happen and then he has to go back in to correct it.

P.S.****I TOO, AM A VSG FLORIDIAN.....in South Florida***** needless to say I don't know what it's like to enjoy our beaches and wear a bathing suit!! that's a no-no at my weight! (well at least when you have some self respect!!)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Hi Choripan!

I'm still pre-op myself so I can't answer any of your questions, I just wanted to welcome you to the group! I've found this to be the friendliest group of folks on the entire forum, so you definitely came to the right place! Oh, just for the record, I'm a huge grammar queen so you'll be happy to know I only noticed one typo! :P

Again, WELCOME!!

Hi Choripan!!!!! And Welcome!!!!! I was sleeved 3/7/2011 and I'm very happy with my decision to have WLS. I would do it again in a New York minute. I will admit that I wish the weight would have came off quicker, But I cannot complain with what I have lost so far. It has been a huge learning experience with what works and what does not. Stalls can will happen. Just learning to change up the routine a bit is what works.(for me anyway) I don't have that much more to lose I am doing my best to work it off with in the next few months. I want to be a goal before the holidays. So I am pushing myself to keep on losing. Knock wood I have not had any issues at all. Post op for me was a very easy recovery. I went back to work two weeks. My surgeon made me wait until my staples came out. I could've went back sooner. Wish I would have. Not everyone will experience the same thing. Nor will the weight loss be the same. Some make goal in six months some in ten others in eighteen. Good luck with your decision and your journey!!!!!! :)

Deb

Thank you so much for your post Deb. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Hi Choripan!!!!! And Welcome!!!!! I was sleeved 3/7/2011 and I'm very happy with my decision to have WLS. I would do it again in a New York minute. I will admit that I wish the weight would have came off quicker, But I cannot complain with what I have lost so far. It has been a huge learning experience with what works and what does not. Stalls can will happen. Just learning to change up the routine a bit is what works.(for me anyway) I don't have that much more to lose I am doing my best to work it off with in the next few months. I want to be a goal before the holidays. So I am pushing myself to keep on losing. Knock wood I have not had any issues at all. Post op for me was a very easy recovery. I went back to work two weeks. My surgeon made me wait until my staples came out. I could've went back sooner. Wish I would have. Not everyone will experience the same thing. Nor will the weight loss be the same. Some make goal in six months some in ten others in eighteen. Good luck with your decision and your journey!!!!!! :)

Deb

Welcome!

There have been some very good ones, with incredible weight losses, but some I've been haven't lost that much.

I have not seen this. Are you sure these aren't people that just had surgery?

choripan, Who have you seen that doesn't seem to have lost much with the sleeve? Unless those people are being non-compliant with their diet (eating sweets and lots of carbs), VSG almost guarantees you'll lose about 80% of the weight you have to lose. Now, keeping it off after the weight loss slows down, and continuing to reach your personal goal(s), is a little tougher and requires discipline. Making goal AND arriving there in good physical shape takes even more work.

I've spent a good bit of time on the Lap Band Forums because that was my initial WLS of choice. One of the things the "Elders" there preach is that you don't just band your stomach, you have to do the head-work too. (Called banding your head over there) I'm calling the mental work I'm doing "Sleeving my head". I know that the surgery is a tool, and, like any other tool, you can use it to fix things, or you can use it incorrectly and end up gaining back the weight. I know that my whole relationship with food MUST change. No more sweets, low or no-carbs, and much more diligence about what goes into my body.

If you are interested, there is an awesome blog by a gal who had GB (Roux N Y) about 5 years ago. The girl, Cheryl, writes "The World According to Eggface" and she gave up all sweets, carbs, taters and Pasta when she had her GB. She posts tons of recipes using Protein powder, almond flour, and various ingredients that are compatible for most WLS patients. She made goal 3 years ago and posts daily about what she's eating, both to help others and to keep herself honest. She has a lot of valuable insights for those of us just starting the journey, IMO.

I looked at your profile and I'm not sure where in South Florida you're located. If you're anywhere near me (St Lucie County), maybe we could get together and compare notes. I'll be thriilled to share my journey with you and to forward links to the bloggers I follow, if you're interested. :)

I so appreciate you writting me. I'm basically in the 'greater Ft. Lauderdale area', closer to Pembroke Pines in Broward County. I've been teeter totering over this idea. I'm quite frightened of taking such a huge step to lose weight, and NOT because I'm not convinced that I need it, but because of how extreme of a measure it is. I'm very ready to do something that will permanently help me, but I have to be sure that losing a good part of my stomach is the right choice.

What you are saying about 'sleeving your head' (besides making me laugh) is 100% true. You cannot take such a great step like this, and not change your ways, because the damage of old habits could be so much worse.

I don't personally know anyone who has had the sleeve done. My comment is from reading the forums from other people's experiences. I have spoken to two people at the hospital where I work already who had the other two procedures (GB and the band), which neither interest me. I don't care to have my digestive track rearranged.

I think the concept of the sleeve is a good one, seems for a lot of us it's the only way to CUT BACK ON YOUR APPETITE!!! drastically, but it's quite a thought to have 75% of your stomach removed. So there's a lot to think about...and THAT I have been doing these days.

choripan, Who have you seen that doesn't seem to have lost much with the sleeve? Unless those people are being non-compliant with their diet (eating sweets and lots of carbs), VSG almost guarantees you'll lose about 80% of the weight you have to lose. Now, keeping it off after the weight loss slows down, and continuing to reach your personal goal(s), is a little tougher and requires discipline. Making goal AND arriving there in good physical shape takes even more work.

I've spent a good bit of time on the Lap Band Forums because that was my initial WLS of choice. One of the things the "Elders" there preach is that you don't just band your stomach, you have to do the head-work too. (Called banding your head over there) I'm calling the mental work I'm doing "Sleeving my head". I know that the surgery is a tool, and, like any other tool, you can use it to fix things, or you can use it incorrectly and end up gaining back the weight. I know that my whole relationship with food MUST change. No more sweets, low or no-carbs, and much more diligence about what goes into my body.

If you are interested, there is an awesome blog by a gal who had GB (Roux N Y) about 5 years ago. The girl, Cheryl, writes "The World According to Eggface" and she gave up all sweets, carbs, taters and Pasta when she had her GB. She posts tons of recipes using Protein powder, almond flour, and various ingredients that are compatible for most WLS patients. She made goal 3 years ago and posts daily about what she's eating, both to help others and to keep herself honest. She has a lot of valuable insights for those of us just starting the journey, IMO.

I looked at your profile and I'm not sure where in South Florida you're located. If you're anywhere near me (St Lucie County), maybe we could get together and compare notes. I'll be thriilled to share my journey with you and to forward links to the bloggers I follow, if you're interested. :)

choripan,

I get the hesitation to have a majority of your stomach removed. That was my major objection to this to start with, but then I had an epiphany... probably drug-induced because I was in the hospital with major pneumonia at the time.... I can continue to eat like I have and gain weight, or I can do something about it. Now, I lost 50 pounds on Atkins last year. It was a hard, difficult, PITA struggle. I busted my butt to lose that 50 lbs, turning down sweets, breads, potatoes, in short, everything that I liked foodwise. I subsisted on chicken breasts and salad, but I took off that dang 50 lbs.

Once I did that, I took "my" next step and quit smoking. Within 10 days, I had pneumonia. On my first visit to the ER, the doctor prescribed antibiotics and high codeine cough Syrup, warning me that if I took "one drop" too much, I'd end up dead. She treated me like a drug-seeker. I dutifully took the antibiotics, measured the cough syrup with a syringe, and ended up back in the ER 10 days later with an oxygen saturation of 70. The nurses there were shocked I was walking and talking. After six days in the hospital on steroids and mega-antibiotics via IV, I got out and gained all 50 lbs, plus a few extra back.

Between the pneumonia and the blood clots I developed after such a long period of inactivity, I'm not allowed to exercise more than 5 minutes 3 times a week...and that at a "casual" pace. I'm now on three meds for asthma-like symptoms, blood thinners and a bi-pap machine. My health took a major nose-dive in less than a month, and I'm still struggling. My doctors have actually told me that I must take off a bunch of weight NOW or I won't live 5 years. At 44 years old, that's a tough pill to swallow.

So, for me, the surgery is the way to go. I'm afraid, somewhat, of having that much stomach removed, but I'm more afraid of how much worse my health can get if I don't have this surgery and drop this weight. I listed my current co-morbidities earlier: sleep apnea, borderline diabetic, rheumatoid arthritis, breathing problems, pneumonia tendencies, etc. I am praying and hoping that this surgery helps to turn back the clock on these conditions so that I can live a long life and get to see my kids marry and meet my future grandchildren.

Your reasons may vary, but I bet all of use want a couple of things: to feel better and to look better. The question we must ask ourselves is if we can get there without surgical intervention. For me, the answer is no, so I am moving forward. I hope my thought process can help you make your decision...and, whatever decision YOU make is right for YOU. Good luck! :)

Wow Lessa, you have no other choice definitely. Your life depends on it, and for that reason alone I'm sure you will do great because your mind is 100% focused on that. I do hope everything turns out well with the surgery and I wish you the very best SLEEVED life!!!!

choripan,

I get the hesitation to have a majority of your stomach removed. That was my major objection to this to start with, but then I had an epiphany... probably drug-induced because I was in the hospital with major pneumonia at the time.... I can continue to eat like I have and gain weight, or I can do something about it. Now, I lost 50 pounds on Atkins last year. It was a hard, difficult, PITA struggle. I busted my butt to lose that 50 lbs, turning down sweets, breads, potatoes, in short, everything that I liked foodwise. I subsisted on chicken breasts and salad, but I took off that dang 50 lbs.

Once I did that, I took "my" next step and quit smoking. Within 10 days, I had pneumonia. On my first visit to the ER, the doctor prescribed antibiotics and high codeine cough Syrup, warning me that if I took "one drop" too much, I'd end up dead. She treated me like a drug-seeker. I dutifully took the antibiotics, measured the cough syrup with a syringe, and ended up back in the ER 10 days later with an oxygen saturation of 70. The nurses there were shocked I was walking and talking. After six days in the hospital on steroids and mega-antibiotics via IV, I got out and gained all 50 lbs, plus a few extra back.

Between the pneumonia and the blood clots I developed after such a long period of inactivity, I'm not allowed to exercise more than 5 minutes 3 times a week...and that at a "casual" pace. I'm now on three meds for asthma-like symptoms, blood thinners and a bi-pap machine. My health took a major nose-dive in less than a month, and I'm still struggling. My doctors have actually told me that I must take off a bunch of weight NOW or I won't live 5 years. At 44 years old, that's a tough pill to swallow.

So, for me, the surgery is the way to go. I'm afraid, somewhat, of having that much stomach removed, but I'm more afraid of how much worse my health can get if I don't have this surgery and drop this weight. I listed my current co-morbidities earlier: sleep apnea, borderline diabetic, rheumatoid arthritis, breathing problems, pneumonia tendencies, etc. I am praying and hoping that this surgery helps to turn back the clock on these conditions so that I can live a long life and get to see my kids marry and meet my future grandchildren.

Your reasons may vary, but I bet all of use want a couple of things: to feel better and to look better. The question we must ask ourselves is if we can get there without surgical intervention. For me, the answer is no, so I am moving forward. I hope my thought process can help you make your decision...and, whatever decision YOU make is right for YOU. Good luck! :)

Hi my Florida people. I live in the Orlando area and will be having my surgery sometime in October hopefully. Dr. Jawad is my surgeon and I have two more weight management appointments with his office and my gallbladder scan and lab work and I am all done. I see there are a few Dr. Jawad patients on here. Have any of you had the surgery, and how was your experience.

Hey Fluffy,

I live in Orlando below the Florida Mall. What area do you live in? I was sleeved August 24 by Dr. Marema in St. Augustine. If I had now this was going to be so easy I would have done it long ago.