Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Band Crew!!!!!

hey guys, I just wanted to check in....I'm now 3 days out and I'm having a tough recovery. I'm allergic to codine so they put me on hydrocodone which ended up making me nausous 2 days in a row so now I'm on a pill that gets crushed and taken in apple sauce or pudding but it tastes awefull so I only take it if I'm in ALOT of pain. I'm basically just having port pain and gas pain but I really can't take in much liquid without feeling like I have to stop. I tried Tomato Soup yesterday and I only got in like 4 sips and had to stop, did anyone else experience this?? I didn't expect to be so tight immediately after surgery....or is it maybe gas in my tummy???

Serendipity,

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Does liquid tylenol have codine in it? Maybe you could try that. Did you get the dissolvable gas strips? :cry Hang in there, the toughest part is almost over.

I have the disolvable tylenol Jr which was reccomended by my Dr but I'm thinking about getting the liquid adult version and I do have chewable gas tablets but they don't seem to help much....but I know I'll get through it, right now I'm just trying to not dehydrate and I'm trying to stay as comfortable as possible, luckily I have a laptop so I can keep up with the posts from the couch lol :)

Serendipity-

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with the pain meds...

I too have felt very very full. I've been eating clear broth around noon and then some strained creamed Soup or Tomato Soup around dinner time. With the thicker soup, I could only get down about 1/2 cup. I think it's from the swelling. I am starting to loosen up a bit. Yesterday, I was able to get down about 1 cup of Tomato soup at dinner . It will get better. Hang in there....I didn't start really feeling better until my 5th day.....it will get better!!!!

Losin' it and Libra!!!!

Thank you for the encouragment! That was just what the dr. ordered. I think I was just starting to feel a little blue. I know it's all going to be worth it.

Now I can chat 3 more days, 3 more day, 3 more days. I'm feeling much better today.

Serenpedipity - I hope you're feeling better today. Thanks for posting. It helps us pre-banders to know some other things to look out for and it also helps us to be better prepared for our upcoming surgeries - yes, I know, everyone is different - but at least we're more informed.

Starting Over - Congrats for taking your health care into your own hands and standing up for yourself. I'm glad you are finally banded and I hope things are going well. I can't wait to join you guys!!!

August bandsters ROCK ON!!!! You give me so much hope and encouragement.

How to Update a Ticker

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->1. To update a ticker on the lapband forum, first go to Quick Link, then go to Edit Signature, cut or delete your current ticker and then hit the save signature button. Then go to the ticker factory, make your new ticker, copy the URL, go back to Lapband forum, hit Quick Link, go to Edit Signature, move your cursor to the spot in your signature area where you want the ticker to appear, then above the box you will see a row of icons, click the icon which allows you insert image or picture (it has a mountain with a small box in the corner), a little box will appear asking for the URL, paste the URL from the ticker factory there, and hit enter, your new ticker will appear.

2. To get a new ticker, go to Ticker factory, put in new weight, hit enter, and new ticker will appear with new URL

You must do this each time you want to change the ticker in your signature area.

I strongly suggest that you do Step 1 before Step 2. Each time I tried to delete the old ticker and then paste the new one, it would not allow me to paste the new URL. I had to delete the old ticker and save the changes first and then paste the new URL in.

I had my surgery Aug 18 at the Hurst surgery center with Dr. Robert snow in Texas. I was originally scheduled with Dr. Carter and as they were wheeling me into surgery he got real sick and had to go to the emergency room and they sent me home un banded. He rescheduled surgery with me and then had to cancel it again the day before. So I said forget that and switched doctors and was scheduled the very next week. I didn't have to do the pre op diet. My BMI was only 32.1 I have a lot of port pain and gas and am taking pain meds quite often. I haven't weighed yet because the scale is too much of a trigger for me. Plus I feel really swollen and bloated still. My stomach is actually bigger than when I went in for surgery. I am not hungry at all and have only been taking in about 600 calories a day since surgery. I feel real great though even though I am really sore. I have a low profile port because my stomach is pretty flat already. I just am big every where else. Especially my boobs! I can't wait to see them go!

I don' know how to do the ticker things yet. Maybe my husband can help me with that.

Blessings August Banders

starting over

Jamie, I'm sorry you're having such a rough recovery. Hang in there, it'll get better each day.

I weighed myself this am and am "only" down 6lbs since surgery on 8/15. I haven't lost any weight in the last 4 days. I have no idea why this is so discouraging for me, but it is! I mean, heck, I'm only getting about 500 cals a day, shouldn't I lose SOMETHING????? I know the healing time is supposed to be about healing, not losing, but with only eating Soups, pudding, low fat yogurt, and runny oatmeal, I figured I'd lose. I think it's making me worry that, if I can't lose weight on this super-restricted diet, how am I going to lose when I progress to soft and regular foods. I have my follow up appointment on Tuesday and am paranoid they are going to be disappointed in how little weight I've lost since surgery. I know I'm being mental about this and need to just quit weighing and quit stressing, but man! I'm going to drive myself nuts at this rate. :) No more weighing from now on, except on Fridays! :D

Starting Over - That's horrible about Dr. Carter, I hope he's okay. I know my surgery was postponed three times because of his blood clots and I finally got my band on the 14th and he said the blood clots were shrinking. So scary to have one in your leg and especially your lung since it's so close to the heart and if it travels that means he's toast. Poor guy, he's really sweet and has a great bedside manner. I'm glad you got in with another doc so quickly though.

I'm so glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I just keep loosing every day. I'm definitely getting hungrier than I was though but I know when I'm full. I can eat about 3/4 cup now and feel full. It's amazing between my three 3/4 cup meals and my two Protein shakes I'm taking in 1000 calories a day. WOW, it adds up SO quick with SO little food, no wonder we were all overweight!

My port is still a little uncomfortable but I'm not having gas pains anymore which I had for about a week. I can sleep on either side or my back, just not my stomach. I haven't tried jeans on yet, just wanted to stay comfortable for a while in stretchy pants.

Congrats to all the successful bandsters and well wishes to those to come! :)

bug,

6 pounds in 9 days is great! Remember you have alot swelling that has to go down as well. Have you started walking yet? Even the smallest amount of exercise will help burn calories. I quickly at first, then slowed down. Your body is adjusting. . . so give it time.

Jamie, I'm sorry you're having such a rough recovery. Hang in there, it'll get better each day.

I weighed myself this am and am "only" down 6lbs since surgery on 8/15. I haven't lost any weight in the last 4 days. I have no idea why this is so discouraging for me, but it is! I mean, heck, I'm only getting about 500 cals a day, shouldn't I lose SOMETHING????? I know the healing time is supposed to be about healing, not losing, but with only eating Soups, pudding, low fat yogurt, and runny oatmeal, I figured I'd lose. I think it's making me worry that, if I can't lose weight on this super-restricted diet, how am I going to lose when I progress to soft and regular foods. I have my follow up appointment on Tuesday and am paranoid they are going to be disappointed in how little weight I've lost since surgery. I know I'm being mental about this and need to just quit weighing and quit stressing, but man! I'm going to drive myself nuts at this rate. :) No more weighing from now on, except on Fridays! :D

Bug,

Don't get discouraged. It hasn't even been two weeks yet. You may still have swelling and need to heal more. I understand what you're saying though. What happens when we encorporate regular foods into our diets? I guess an increase in activity would be beneficial.

I have my first post op appointment with my doctor today. I'll let you all know what he says.

I can't seem to remember everywhere I post so I apologize for being a little hit and miss. I was banded 8-17 and I feel like I'm doing great. I took a week of vacation to be on the safe side, but I really wouldn't have needed it. I feel remarkably well. The gas subsided pretty quickly although it came back last night. I took some milk of mag (mom) to get things moving and that seemed to help a lot. The maalox didn't seem to work for me in making the gas go away. The mom makes it all go through and out - if you know what I mean!

I've been keeping in touch with the others that were banded the same day I was and we're all healing at different rates with different complaints. Some have incisional soreness, some more gas than others and some are having trouble eating much of anything. I feel very fortunate to have only slight incisional soreness although there is a large knot above my port incision. I figure they had to tug and pull on that one to get everything out of the way and it will probably take quite awhile to go away.

I hope we all heal quickly and get started on our day to day life as a bandster as soon as possible! Take care and let me know if the mom helps!

Ok, so after my little temper tantrum earlier (sorry 'bout that!) because I've "only" lost 6 pounds since surgery I talked to my mom and she reminded me that I've lost 6 lbs since this past Sunday, so less than a week. I was 9lbs heavier after the surgery and it took me till Sunday to get back to the weight I was the morning before surgery. So, I lost 9lbs in the 5 days after surgery and 6lbs since then. So I feel better now for some reason. :) I think all these liquids are starting to get to me. :D

I am working on a fun little project for us August 06' bandsters.

Stay tuned.....

Hang in there Jamie,

Every surgeon has different instructions, and every case is unique...but I can tell you that I had no hunger for the first week after surgery. I sucked ice cubes for the first day, then started with Gatoraide and then progressed to juice and Water (mostly water). By the end of the second day I was ready for broth, but only 1/2 cup at a time. I was instructed to get down at least 1 cup juice (apple or cran) and 1 cup Gatoraide for the next 7 days, and as much Water as I could handle. I didn't get Tomato Soup until day 10...and boy, was I ready for that!

So hang in there, the pain will go away; most of it is the gas and the port...

Just watch out for the common post-op depression. That took me by surprise; but once I understood why I had it, it seemed to vanish.

Keep your eye on the prize }{ !!!

Hi Any Liz,

I was Banded August 17th. My pain is now somewhat minimal, except for some port pain if I stretch out or over too far.I am howver really feeling weak after one week of just Clear Liquids. The nurse caled me on Wednesday and said I could have yogurt and slim fast. I have done that now for two days , but still feel very weak. I was blow drying my hair this a.m. and my arms got so tired as I raised them over my head. I don't think I am getting adequate nourishment each day. Also had a Migraine yesterday and took medication on two occasions, Relpax and Reglan. These always leave me feeling tired as well. I still have a slight headache today and I am wondering if it is because of my change of diet. I would feel fine if it weren't for the weakness and slight headache. I even slept on my stomach last night.

Hey Fellow August Crew,

I'm 3 weeks out since yesterday and feeling really good. My clothes are loose on me already. I haven't had much movement in my scale in the past few days, which is a bummer but I'm ok with it. I'm getting ready to start a workout routine though. I do notice that 3 weeks out I'm getting more hungry. I already miss the small amounts i started with that satisfied me. I'm looking forward to a fill.

You're all doing amazing and I'm glad we're all together. Hang in there! The best is yet to come!