Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obstacle 2: Sleeve Prices Vary

I have heard great things about Dr jaime Ponce de leon as well if you're interested in him. Someone I know here is now a coordinator for him. I can get you in contact with her if you're interested. Send me a PM if so :) There's a lot of doctors out there, ultimately its your decision on your own personal comfort level. Regardless of naysayers of one doctor or another. Good luck!

FWIW, I'm in Houston and also contemplating VSG w/ Dr Almanza. My BMI is 29-30, but even as a self pay, many USA bariatric surgeons wouldn’t consider me heavy enough. I’m sick of dieting and gaining back. But finding a USA surgeon aside, I'm just more comfortable going to a Henry Ford of surgery, assembly line type operation with a surgeon who's done thousands of bariatric procedures. There are surgeons here doing VSG for ~$10,000 or less, but in strip mall surgery centers, not hospitals, just like Almanza. So why not go to Almanza who has far more experience?

FWIW, I'm in Houston and also contemplating VSG w/ Dr Almanza. My BMI is 29-30, but even as a self pay, many USA bariatric surgeons wouldn’t consider me heavy enough. I’m sick of dieting and gaining back. But finding a USA surgeon aside, I'm just more comfortable going to a Henry Ford of surgery, assembly line type operation with a surgeon who's done thousands of bariatric procedures. There are surgeons here doing VSG for ~$10,000 or less, but in strip mall surgery centers, not hospitals, just like Almanza. So why not go to Almanza who has far more experience?

I'm also in Houston. HI!

I live in San Antonio and had my surgery with Dr. Almanza. Things people say are unfounded but keep coming up. I had my surgery on the 14th of March had no complications. As a matter of fact there were 7 people who also had surgery with Dr. Almanza on that very day so if he was so bad why would he still have so much business. I had great care while there. Don't let the negative comments scare you off. These comments are coming from people who have never had surgery with Dr. Almanza. Anyone can speak of second hand knowledge it's first and knowledge you should be concerned with.

I am so happy with my choice to have my surgery performed by Dr. Aceves, and in retrospect, I would pay what I paid PLUS more because the quality of care was better than I have ever, ever received in an American hospital; the ratio of patient to nurse is like 1:1 (sometimes, however, it seemed there were more nurses than patients!). I was rarely in any pain, the night nurses were apologetic to ME for MY shitty Spanish skills (I took five years of espanol in school, but unfortunately most of what I learned slipped out of my brain), the hospital was super clean and I roamed that ****-and-span SOB like I owned it.

Anyway, I felt like Dr. Aceves' only patient. From my understanding, Dr. Aceves does three surgeries a day and takes days off during the week. He was very calm, informative, and receptive to me and my two sleeve buddies whom I met on the drive to Mexicali!

His office still contacts me to see how I'm doing and to see if I have any questions for him. When I was preparing to return home, I received a comprehensive package of x-rays, lab tests, and the like to give to my primary care doctor. Only negative thing was that the blood tests results are in Spanish, so my Kaiser Dr. will have to break out the translator (I live in San Diego so that shouldn't be a problema!)

Ultimately, this is YOUR decision. For me, I was happy to pay extra because my life is worth that. However, if price is something that would prevent you from getting the surgery, I think it's just fine to go to another experienced doctor in Mexico as long as you do your research and are comfortable with your decision. Good luck!

Well, interesting... haven't seen those bad reports .. and YES makes me think again.

The problem is that I can get $5,000 together but NOT $8,500. Where I live, the doctors will do the surgery IN the US for $9,000 so if the Doctors in Mexico are the same price as Texas, then why keep looking?

Doesn't matter though because I simply cannot afford over $5,000 ... fact. If I could, then locally would be my best choice.

So .. sadly... depressingly... doesn't look like I have good options afterall.

Just need to sleep on it and keep shopping.... and dreaming.

Just a thought, local is not always better, even if the price is the same. Research the local Dr's you might look into (if you come up the the 9000) because some surgeons are not nearly as experienced as others. Dr. Aceves has done well over 1500 sleeves and the local surgeons I checked into where I live had done 40 and 150 at the time I was looking into surgery.

I agree with others who said really research each Dr before making a final decision. I wanted to have my surgery in a Hospital, not a clinic. You may be fine with either and that's great. I just wanted the 'one on one' with my Dr. and I got that (actually had 2 Dr.'s checking on me) every day I was there. I know there are many here who have had great experiences with Almanza with no problems whatsoever. I just didn't want to be that ONE patient that had a complication and so I chose Aceves to have a Hospital with a full Emergency Room just in case. That's just the kind of luck I have, so that was my thinking. I had a great experience with Dr. Aceves and could not recommend him more. He went above and beyond and I am glad I chose him.

Good luck with your decision.smile.gif

I concur with Mariah. I want to add a few things. Dr. Aceves also has another doctor, Dr. Campos, assisting him during surgery. Dr. Campos has actually had the surgery himself and is involved at all stages of your stay. In addition, the price includes the 1st night at a hotel and 3 nights in the hospital in your own private room. The hospital is a full hospital with an emergency room, security and it is an immaculate private hospital. Although I could have chosen to have my surgery as a cash pay patient for almost the same money, it would have been outpatient and with doctors that didn't have the experience, recommendations and support staff of Dr. Aceves.

I know I'm new here and post very little, I've been busy reading and researching on here and other forums. I think I'm normal in that I've flip flopped between which Dr. I thought was qualified, which one I'd trust, how much money I will (hopefully!) have to spend and omg am I out of my mind?!?! WHY do I want to put my body through this and WHY can't I just follow what others here eat and NOT have the surgery at all?!

The truth of it is this, I'm fat. Big admission, eh? I have tried every diet out there (had great luck with Atkins and felt wonderful!) and had success and obviously failures. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome a few years ago and put on medication. These medications not only make it virtually impossible for me to lose weight, but have made me GAIN another 150 pounds on top of my already pudgy body. MEH! *insert foot stomp here*

I have called Drs in the US and Mexico because my ins. doesn't cover anything at all for the VSG, they consider it experimental. I've made my choice in the Dr. that I will be going with, which is Dr. Aceves. It's a personal choice and one that I'm comfortable with and obviously he may not be right for everyones budget or peace of mind. I absolutely don't want to put anyone down or make you feel less intelligent or affluent by making a different choice than the one I chose. I think almost imperceptibly people get little digs in on others, probably not intentionally, for the choices they are making. I don't want to do that and I wouldn't want anyone to feel like they're less of a person or not as intelligent for making a different decision than the one i'm making. What I will say is this, call around, ASK QUESTIONS, read read read! If you are comfortable in the choice you've made, flip off everyone else as you go to your dr and do what's healthy and right for your body.

I'm a bit like Tiffykins, from what I've read of her posts. I want a full service hospital and a staff of people that not only have the knowledge to save my life (if things happen to go from sugar to sh!t) but the equipment on hand to do it with. While I hate hospitals, I feel that I would be better off mentally and emotionally to know that I have a team waiting on me should anything happen.

To everyone here, every single person that has posted and made a difference and helped me on my journey, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know that I'm making the best decisions possible (FOR ME) based on the information that I have and I feel like I'm better informed now that all of you have taken the time to post, respond and reach out a hand to help others. I thank you.

Renee`

I used Dr Kelly and had a great experience - read my blog and you can see my experience. I would send any friend or family to him without hesitation. I would work directly with Trish his coordinator rather than a US coordinator.

Regardless.....do your research, do not let cost be your only determining factor. The difference between the 2 Doctors you have listed is vast - from cost to facilities. There are also many in between these. I can only speak from my personal experience, I too looked at every doctor that has been mentioned. Once I chose Dr Kelly I never lost a minutes sleep over my decision. See if you can talk personally on the phone with the Drs you narrow it down to - interview them! This is your life that you are placing in their hands - proceed with caution, knowledge and strength. Once you make your decision you will be confident that it is the right one for you!

Best wishes on your journey! We are all here for support.

Kim

It sounds like your budget precludes you from considering Dr Aceves. If so, look at the other doctors mentioned on this thread that operate out of TJ - they will be similar prices. No need worrying about a doctor that you can't afford - if it isn't an option for you, then don't pull your hair out considering it.

Good luck with your decision--

LIke others here have said, please do not let cost be the overriding consideration. A good surgeon performing a good surgery using quality material costs money. This is not the time to overly scrip and save when your life and your future well-being is in their hands. Ten thousand IS an awful lot of money, but I'd rather be in a hospital where complications and an unexpected bad outcome can be dealt with rather than a strip mall. (FYI: I had my surgery in the US so I have NO vested interest in the Mexican surgeons, just my humble opinion.)

I live in San Antonio and had my surgery with Dr. Almanza. Things people say are unfounded but keep coming up. I had my surgery on the 14th of March had no complications. As a matter of fact there were 7 people who also had surgery with Dr. Almanza on that very day so if he was so bad why would he still have so much business. I had great care while there. Don't let the negative comments scare you off. These comments are coming from people who have never had surgery with Dr. Almanza. Anyone can speak of second hand knowledge it's first and knowledge you should be concerned with.

Thanks Shybaby, I am having my surgery with Dr. Almanza the end of May. There are a lot of great Doctors that do a great job. I feel comfortable with my decision. I do not care about fancy hospitals, I do care about having a clean and safe place for surgery and having a compentent Doctor perform my surgery. My personal opinion, if I were going to pay what Dr. Aceves charges in Mexico, I would have my surgery done in the states, I do not see a savings there and being self-pay, cost is part of the equation. The cost is not the only reason I have choosen Dr. Almanza, the communication and willing to take the time to answer many, many questions I have asked them, is priceless. In doing my research, I have tried to communicate with other doctor's and their staff, they do not seem near as interested in my questions and they actually acted like I was bothering them. My coordinator at Dr. Almanza's office is Louise Johnson, she has been great and has spent a lot of her time making sure ALL of my questions were answered to make sure I have all the information I need to make an informed decision. So like I said, there were many reasons I have choosen to use Dr. Almanza.

Thanks.

All--I'm in Houston, too!! I'm having my sleeve this Monday at Memorial Hermann in the medical center. My insurance covers it and I only had to pay $840!!! There are VSG support groups available out there--I'll be going to the ones in the med center since I live in Pearland-- and it's my understanding that anybody can attend the support groups! I'd love to meet up with some locals for Texas-sized support!!!

Louise is awesome! She has been so helpful and she is so sweet!

Thanks Shybaby, I am having my surgery with Dr. Almanza the end of May. There are a lot of great Doctors that do a great job. I feel comfortable with my decision. I do not care about fancy hospitals, I do care about having a clean and safe place for surgery and having a compentent Doctor perform my surgery. My personal opinion, if I were going to pay what Dr. Aceves charges in Mexico, I would have my surgery done in the states, I do not see a savings there and being self-pay, cost is part of the equation. The cost is not the only reason I have choosen Dr. Almanza, the communication and willing to take the time to answer many, many questions I have asked them, is priceless. In doing my research, I have tried to communicate with other doctor's and their staff, they do not seem near as interested in my questions and they actually acted like I was bothering them. My coordinator at Dr. Almanza's office is Louise Johnson, she has been great and has spent a lot of her time making sure ALL of my questions were answered to make sure I have all the information I need to make an informed decision. So like I said, there were many reasons I have choosen to use Dr. Almanza.

Thanks.

Next obstacle -- picking the right location for the right price.

The doctors I am looking at both have GREAT reviews.

Dr. Aceves in Mexicali

OR

Dr. Almanza in Tijuana

I was quoted $9,500 for Dr. Aceves -- "The cost for laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery here at our center $9,500 USD.* " (p.s. Gastric Sleeve in the town where I live is currently going for $9,900 - so considering the addition of airfare? ... no bargain / same price.

The quote for Dr. Almanza is this -- " We are also offering the Vertical Gastric Sleeve Package for only $4,999!"

Gee -- hard decision.

Also, Airfare to Mexicali is around $650 round trip, whereas round trip to San Diego looks like it is around $450

SO.... Looks like it is Dr. Almanza in Tijuana.< /span>

Do you agree?

Hi, I had the sleeve in Tijuana by Dr. Almanza and I had a wonderful experience. I was there with 4 other ladies and we all came out okay. I had a follow up with my primary 10 days after and they removed my stitches for me. I had no infections or complications. Your coordinator can get you the lowest price if you ask them. Successfullyslimmer has all the prices listed, but I used Nina as my coordinator I can't say enough nice things about her. She owns her own home in Tijuana that she just bought and moved into so she could have her patients stay with her and the live in nurse. Her home sits above the city of Tijuana and is a beautiful 5 bedroom single home. They will take you out shopping on Revoloution dr or whrever you want to go or you can just sit out back on the patio and listen to the fountain relax and enjoy the view. She is with you every step of the way as soon as you come out of the clinic, which I can't say the same about other coordinators. It's your decision. http://www.bariatricinmexico.com/p-sleeve.php I wish you all the luck for a fast recovery.

l