Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The first few weeks SUCK!

I am so frustrated! I know the first weeks are the hardest, I've talked to quite a few people who have felt like I do right now and it just bites!

I am 3 weeks out, I have lost quite a bit of weight for which I am trying to be happy for but I am so stinkin miserable right now. I finally am on mushies, so I am getting more but cannot tolerate Protein, even the unflavored stuff right now. I know, I know, I need to get some in but I don't think throwing up the Protein would do me any good.

I am so sensitive to smells right now, even the site of food when I get too "empty" make me gag like no other. Just looking at a can of Soup makes me gag. Its so stinkin annoying. I really feel like I did in the first months of pregnancy with morning sickness and I'm just frustrated. I'm also annoyed with all the people watching me eat, I get it, its wierd to see some 200 lb girl eating like a bird and then stopping after a few bites but it's embarrassing.

And now my husband has training which means I have to get up the nerve to give myself my lovenox shots ugh. I am such a sissy when it comes to stuff like that, I even put a pillow over my face when he does them because the thought freaks me out lol. So now I have to do it myself.

Ok I guess I am done with my pity party. I'm just ready to get back to a normal life. Oh and I sooooooooo miss bread, tortillas and rice right now, which makes me cranky lol

I am so glad you wrote this! My body is healing beautifully, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOO tired. I am 2.5 weeks out. I could never handle the Protein shakes and I have compared this feeling to my pregnancy as well. I really see myself in what you are writing. I don't know if it is any comfort that you are not alone in this. I am really looking forward to when I can get some more real food in to pick up my energy level.

I knew before I started that this was going to suck. But, we are doing something so good for ourselves!!!! Watch out for dehydration signs and do the best you can. I really try to capitalize on the brief times during the day when I feel fine (in between meals).

Hang in there - you can do it!

Lara

Awww I'm sorry to hear your still feeling a bit upset. Let me tell you though, it was no picnic for me either. You aren't alone for sure, I'll be the first to tell you. The first whole 4-6 weeks for me was tough, nauseating and miserable. I was so bad with fatigue I couldn't get myself to do hardly anything. As a matter of fact I still get that way from time to time. Not often but sometimes yes, I feel lazy and beat down. I also do my best to keep up with my Vitamins, and especially my Iron and B-12. My panels are coming back good, but regardless that tired feeling can really get to you.

Right now I'd say your main concern should be to stay hydrated. Do your best to get all your Water in. If you aren't doing this then likely that might be hindering your progression to getting better. Dehydration can make you feel *less* thirsty and even more nauseated and fatigued.

Regarding your Protein, take the unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury packets and add it as much of it as you can to anything you're eating. Even if its a teaspoon at a time, it's still *something*.

Hang in there, and keep us updated. :)

It really does get better! hang in there...

I went through the EXACT same thing as you. I am almost 4 months out and it does get better. You will have REAL food again...promise :) The 1st 6 weeks is pure hell when your a foodie prior to surgery. My taste buds and sense of smell is still heightened. I don't/won't eat certain things now because they simply don't agree with me anymore. It is all a process and you are half way there!!! I at one point chewed up a piece of pizza and spit it out during this stage just cuz I wanted to CHEW something!!!! I use strictly unflavored Unjury and the best thing to mix it with is V8 DIet/Light Fusion....or V8 Diet Splash. It still has a slight chemical-ness to it but not bad.

The chocolate/vanilla flavored anything makes me wanna puke...even now. Another good Protein product is Isopure smoothies from GNC. I get the orange/peach flavor and they are soooo good. They have 32 gm's of protein per bottle. I've been through the Vitamin challenge as well....I use the GNC Solotron chewable berry flavored wafers. Plus, I just started a liquid calcium citrate from costco called Reviva. It is blueberry flavored and has a slight grittiness but not bad. WAAAAYYYY better than the pills. You can mix it with yogurt or just take it as is. I have been losing some hair for the past month and a half. I started on 1,000 of Biotin supplements and had to go to 2,000 and I am seeing some new Hair growth. Just some suggestions to make your life a bit easier as time goes on. Hang in there!!!!

no doubt -- the first few weeks absolutely suck. i also can't take the Protein, any kind. taste okay going in and then just make me wanna die. do try to keep drinking anything that's palatable to you -- my doc says the main reason WLS people go back into the hospital is dehydration.

good luck and ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

I too, have an issue with the Protein, and I haven't even had my surgery yet! But today, I stumbled on a concoction that I didn't gag on. I got the vanilla flavored whey protein from CVS, and I had a chocolate, no sugar added Carnation instant Breakfast. I took the carnation, added a scoop of the Protein Powder, added 1 cup of skim milk, 3 ice cubes, and 1/2 tsp of instant coffee. I blended it all together in my magic bullet, and I really enjoyed it. You may also want to try different different flavorings, like vanilla extract, or banana extract, or whatever flavor you like. I'm sure it's difficult, but as everyone else has said, you need to try as hard as you can, to get your protein in, and not become dehydrated.

All the best to you, and please keep us posted. Hang in there!!

I feel your pain! Monday was 3 wks for me and I spent it in the hospital with dehydration. I'm home now and am trying to do better. Please be careful and stay hydrated

I'm right there with ya! I am 2 weeks out. This is definitely harder than I EVER thought. I am so on the verge of dehydration that I can feel it. I try so hard to get my fluids in, but I just do NOT want to drink or even eat, so I have to force myself.

I know in a few months we will all be looking back on this thread and find it laughable (I hope anyway). But for now, it is no walk in the park.

I agree about the feeling of pregnancy. It feels just like that to me!

I hope you feel better soon. I hope all that responded with the same feelings, feel better soon, toosmile.gif

BTW, I had a bloodclot after being on bedrest before having my daughter and I had to take lovenox shots twice a day for 6 MONTHS. No fun AT ALL!!!! I SO feel your pain. I had no where left on my belly to give myself a shot. Hang in there.

The first month after surgery TOTALLY sucks! Once I got onto solid foods things got much better, but then you have to learn how to eat with your sleeve. I'm nearly 3 months out and am really happy with my sleeve, but it took the better part of this time post op to get used to the changes. Hang in there, the worst part is nearly behind you! And it's fine to vent, everyone who has been sleeved can relate to what you are experiencing!

The first month after surgery TOTALLY sucks! Once I got onto solid foods things got much better, but then you have to learn how to eat with your sleeve. I'm nearly 3 months out and am really happy with my sleeve, but it took the better part of this time post op to get used to the changes. Hang in there, the worst part is nearly behind you! And it's fine to vent, everyone who has been sleeved can relate to what you are experiencing!

Agreed :)

I'm one week out and I have to literally force myself to eat. I'm having a hard time figuring how much can I eat or drink. Cause I don't have a sense of hunger or fullness. Everything I sip on or drink seems to bother my stomache. Can I have some suggestion please?

Thx

I am also having some issues. I am 3 weeks post-op and almost 4 weeks. I still have no energy and I do still have some issues with certain foods. Smells are definetly an issue for me. I keep hearing it gets better and I hope everyone is right. I am frustrated right now for all of the reasons as well as my weight loss has stalled for 2 full weeks now! UGH! Trying to stay positive, but having a hard time!

I am 9 days post-op I was like the rest of u ladies! I could not eat anything I would take a sip of juice and maybe a popsicle it was horrible! Yesterday I was able to drink a entire Vit Water in a 2 hour time frame! that is good for me cause usually it takes me 2 days! I am getting better and I guess healing so that is a wonderful thing!

I am so glad to have the support of this board! It stinks so many of us are or have gone through this. Its really one of those times right now where I regret the stinkin surgery. Hubby keeps saying I will be thrilled 6 months from now, I sure hope he is right.

My heartburn (which I did not have pre-op) is frustrating too, I know its not helping with how crappy I feel. Just talked to a PA and he told me to up my dosage and take another prilosec tonight. I am going in tomorrow and he said they may decide to scope me too because I do get that stuck feeling too often.

Man, I knew this surgery would be rough but it is still more than I had prepared myself for.

Thanks everyone for the support!