Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should've never left the VSG forum....DS people scare me :(

So I was over on OH, and I was just kinda looking through the different forums. I'm confident in my choice of the VSG (a month and some change away!), and I would not even consider another surgery, but I was just kinda curious about the stats for other surgeries (my family is throwing a fit about my choice). Anyways, I was on the DS board, and they have some pretty frightening things to say about the VSG....about how it'll surely fail and all sleevers will regain their weight eventually, etc. Any veterans have words of advice for a now terrified baby sleever?

If one does not watch what they eat there is the possiblitiy of regaining weight. Like if a post sleever has a 3000 calorie drink every day that will definitily affect the weight. As long as you use this tool prpperly for life you should not have to worry about regaining all your weight and then some. What evidence has the DS forum persons shown that after so many years the weight is regained?

PS The simple fact is anyone with any type of WLS can regain their weight. It is a tool and and a tool only. You will have to be responsible for what you put in your mouth for the rest of your life. One thing I know for sure is that I could never ever again eat in volume as is is physically impossible.

It is estimated some 50 percent of bypass patients regain all their weight.

So I was over on OH, and I was just kinda looking through the different forums. I'm confident in my choice of the VSG (a month and some change away!), and I would not even consider another surgery, but I was just kinda curious about the stats for other surgeries (my family is throwing a fit about my choice). Anyways, I was on the DS board, and they have some pretty frightening things to say about the VSG....about how it'll surely fail and all sleevers will regain their weight eventually, etc. Any veterans have words of advice for a now terrified baby sleever?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif of course they would say that! don't you just love haters! they get their undies in a bundle in the biggest way. . . check out my ticker and I'm out 1 year now. . . i'm still losing i don't think I could regain actually, I've worked too hard and come too far to allow that to ever happen. . . plus I LOVE the new me!

Boy, those DS people. They love to come to the VSG board and spam it with their nastiness, too.... I'm sure there are some decent ones, but 90% of the ones I've encountered are just plain irrational, misinformed, and downright nasty. I've seriously wondered, and I'm not being facetious, if their nutritional deficiencies cause personality changes, because they seem to be the only group with such a widespread freak-thing going on.

My mom and sister both had GB and lost a ton of weight and both gained a ton of weight back. It's possibly with any WLS but if you change your eating habits you should be able to keep it off. Just because you can only take 2 small bites of a taco bell bean burrito doesn't mean you should.

I really educated myself during this journey. I was considering DS too but I am thinking long term. What will happen to alot of those folks as they age? Malabsoption will be a biotch! I don't want to deal with problems with properly absorbing nutrients. I have a cousin with Vitamin deficits with GB. She was hospitalized a few times. I will stick with my sleeve. You have to continue to work it as with any WLS but have confidence in knowing you won't deal with serious nutritional issues down the line. Who wants stinky gas and diarrha all the time anyways?????

Ohhhhh huney, I didn't even venture to the DS board after they attacked me on the revision forum back when I was having issues with my band.

Now, when they come trolling in over on OH at the VSG forum, I tell them that I'll take my half-ass sleeve with my amazing 138lbs weight loss, and easily maintaining without any nutrient/vitamin deficiencies, and NOT having to take 30 Vitamins a day just so my body functions properly. I know there are a couple of DS'ers that never made goal, and some that have regained because white carbs are WLS proof, and they sneak up on the best of people. Those few people that struggle with DS are banished from posting and instead of getting support they get bashed, and beaten by their own kind.

When they do the DS, I'm convinced they switch something else too. It's like a mental switch of superiority, and that they are all invincible and shit. Well, believe me, I'm going to be that bitch in about 3 years that goes back and posts, "HEY what's up biznatches, here I am still skinny, and still healthy, so stick in your oily buttholes ! ! !"

I work with several people who have had weight loss WLS 4 have the band and out if those 4 two vomit all the time 1 gained it all back as well did one of the girls who vomits and 1 out if them has has success. Another co- worker had the bypass and is still doing great as well as one who had the sleeve 2 years ago. The big difference is the guy with the bypass takes a giant nasty dump after every meal. After seeing them all go through these different WLS s I chose the sleeve because it basically works well with the least amount if nasty side effects .

"HEY what's up biznatches, here I am still skinny, and still healthy, so stick in your oily buttholes ! ! !"

I'm laughing VERY hard right now....

I guess everyone wants to think they made the only right and best decision, after rerouting their guts and/or snipping off their tummies! Can't we all just get along? No need to be a biznatche though! (Tiff, I just had to use that name...love it!)

I'm laughing VERY hard right now....

I guess everyone wants to think they made the only right and best decision, after rerouting their guts and/or snipping off their tummies! Can't we all just get along? No need to be a biznatche though! (Tiff, I just had to use that name...love it!)

I am with you as long as you are happy with your choice don't bother me. I can't wait to have a pimped out sleeve

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I'm very well aware that any WLS is a tool, and if you try hard enough you can defeat any of them. My mom is 5 years post op RnY, and while she's still maintaining at 115-120, she very firmly stood against me getting the same procedure due to malabsorbtion and continued difficulty with vomiting and dumping. She seems to be on board with my choice of surgery, as are the vast majority of RnYers and bandsters that I know. I was just trying to find some info about the DS "from the horses mouth" so I could use the firsthand info to back up my own choice to go with the VSG. I always knew it didn't sound like an attractive option for me because the idea of having my insides rerouted scares the living hell out of me, but I was just info gathering....and being a creepy lurker lol.

I wasn't expecting to hear all of the trash talk and the scewed numbers about the success "or lack thereof" of the VSG. I wish I had copied the link.....I don't think I've heard any group of WLS patients talk so much trash about others simply because of their choice of procedure....I have to admit, I am completely baffled.

On the bright side of things...at least you aren't considering the band!!!! I LOVE my sleeve. I finally have control of food and it feels so great! Ever noticed how positive the VSG boards are in comparison to other weigh loss surgeries? The sleeve really is a great thing.

Thanks girls I really needed that sleeve re-enforcement tonight. I just came back from class (#10 of Kaiser options classes)

I was really started to think maybe I am wrong and should have the RNY. One of the instructors has had the by-pass and almost everyone in the class said they want the by-pass too.