Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should've never left the VSG forum....DS people scare me :(

What really bothers me about "regain stats" on any of the surgeries with the exception of the band, is that it truly falls back on US. Not the surgery, not the lack of restriction. It still boils down to food choices. With the band, I had regain because I could NOT eat decent food to save my life. I had to eat sliders to get food in so I turned to slider type foods just to get basic nutrition in in some form. I ate chicken/tuna salad back then like it was going out of style, but I still struggled with the meat. The reason I would take the band out of the equation is because 2/3rd of the time, it can back to band complications, lack of restriction, and overall band failure, NOT patient failure.

With VSG, and RNY, it really does fall back on us and the decision making process in regards to what we choose to eat. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I can easily suck down a 3000 calorie milkshake, and luckily I have the support and knowledge I need to NOT make that decision. I know if I were to get into a bad cycle of food choices, my body would/will suffer. I'll mentally be "off", and I focus on making the best choice, but I'm human, and I really want to make this successful.

Also, if there is not a lot of support, follow-up, I could see how there could be more regain. Surgery is just the first step, it's the continued support, knowledge and coping mechanisms that really give us all the upper hand on keeping our weight off.

That's just my 2cents on weight regain.

Irene- my surgeon has the same stats except he gives a 10-15% regain. By the stats, I've already had the 10% regain from my lowest weight of 119lbs. I will say that I got that low because I was on Wellbutrin and tried to quit smoking, lost all of my appetite on top of not being hungry, and eating was a chore. I purposely gained a little weight. And, now I'm floating around 125-130lb.

I was a deadly statistic being morbidly obese so I don't mind being a part of the 10% regain stat on VSG.

I think self-awareness, and being able to recognize our own triggers is the biggest key to success. Knowing what got us to morbid obesity, and having a good support system in our corner, really gives us the fighting chance to beat the odds on regain.

I completely agree with you Tiffy! My reasons for regain with my band were the exact same reasons as yours. Now that my new tool allows me to eat healthy food without awful pain, I'm sure I can continue on with this same path. It's a daily reminder to myself to do the right thing, but I've noticed the more I do it the easier it becomes.

I also do not see myself drinking down thousand calorie shakes. I cant right now because of the lactose issues, but that's not to say I'll always be like that.

I'm sure you will continue to be a success, you are and have done outstanding!!! :)

I just love my fellow sleevers! I don't know I would do without you all and your support; even though this is my second post I read everything.

The sleeve was actually chosen for me by my surgeon and I wasn't sure how I felt about it, let me explain. Last July I went in to have the RNY and during the surgery she (my surgeon) saw what looked like cirrosis on my liver and aborted the surgery. In a half hour they rushed me out of there, I was devastated. When she called about the results of the liver biopsy, I told her I don't drink, she said it is Non Alcolholic Cirrosis, It was from my eating! And she said maybe we could do the sleeve. I never heard of it. Then I started readng about it and found a Dr who did the sleeve and the DS. I really wanted the DS because I thought I couldn't stop eating and now I have the liver issues to deal with.

I had surgery on Dec. 20. My surgeon told me he would do a DS, VS or NOTHING depending on what he found with my liver. I was relieved he did something when I woke up, but still felt regret about the DS until I stumbled on this website. Thank God I did; truthfully. I knew nothing about the VS. When I saw the amount of weight some people lost (Tiffikins) I was encouraged. Now I am so glad he did the sleeve because I was worried about the DS issues. I also like that I still have my stomach as God intended, except smaller. I feel like I have a second chance.

Thank you all for your information, honesty and support. I truly don't know what I would do without it.

I went to the first clinics support group last week. I told about my sleeve at a different hospital (they are RNY'rs) and the air changed' I felt so uncomfortable I wanted out of there. Maybe it was me, but I was upset. I ran back to VST and I'm not alone. I've talked long enough Thanks!!!