Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should've never left the VSG forum....DS people scare me :(

Thanks girls I really needed that sleeve re-enforcement tonight. I just came back from class (#10 of Kaiser options classes)

I was really started to think maybe I am wrong and should have the RNY. One of the instructors has had the by-pass and almost everyone in the class said they want the by-pass too.

But the ghrelin is still there, dumping is there, plus Vitamin mal-absorption for life! I have a friend who has to have IV Vitamin transfusions and her teeth are horrible because she has trouble absorbing Calcium after the by-pass.

I would be careful if you opt to go the RnY route.....your absorption will be out of whack and in order to keep your body supplied with the nutrients it needs it's possible you'll have to take a bunch of different Vitamin supplements for life. That being said, if you feel that the RnY is the right surgery for you, then of course everyone here will stand behind your decision! Do you mind me asking you why you were debating the RnY? Was there something in particular about the procedure that appeals to you? Just wondering. I'm always curious about what makes people pick one WLS over another :)

Thanks girls I really needed that sleeve re-enforcement tonight. I just came back from class (#10 of Kaiser options classes)

I was really started to think maybe I am wrong and should have the RNY. One of the instructors has had the by-pass and almost everyone in the class said they want the by-pass too.

This is my standard reply when someone asks me why I chose VSG over RNY for my revision. I would encourage you to check out the "Failed WLS" "revision" and struggling and food issue forums on Obesityhelp.com before you change your mind.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. What are you going to do without malabsorption, it's called adaptation, and it happens with all intestinal bypass surgeries except for the DS which is more extensive with the "true switch", not just bypassing a portion of the intestine

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Bowel obstructions, not able to take NSAIDS or steroids ( do you realize how many conditions/diseases are treated with steroids or NSAIDS? It's downright scary what steroids do to a pouch if you're ever faced with a debilitating disease or condition that must be treated with steroids.

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. Plus, knowing only 30% of RNY'ers dump on sugar, is it really worth it if you can still eat these foods without consequence, and still have to deal with malabsorption of nutrients and Vitamins for the rest of your life? ? ?

I lost all my weight with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues.

Well, believe me, I'm going to be that bitch in about 3 years that goes back and posts, "HEY what's up biznatches, here I am still skinny, and still healthy, so stick in your oily buttholes ! ! !"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait to see that!!

I've seen loads of RNYers gain all their weight back, too. That pouch just stretches and stretches, plus the ghrelin is still being fully produced, making them hungry and driving them to eat even when they're not (we're all familiar with that bit of fun, aren't we?). Lots of people make it work long-term, don't get me wrong--and I'd take it over a band any day--but lots and lots also can't maintain for crap. I really, truly believe the sleeve is THE way to go for anyone who's not really SMO, and for a few of them the DS might be more appropriate (but we've seen people lose 200+ lbs with the sleeve only!), but all the nutritional and digestive problems would still scare the crap outta me.

I would be careful if you opt to go the RnY route.....your absorption will be out of whack and in order to keep your body supplied with the nutrients it needs it's possible you'll have to take a bunch of different Vitamin supplements for life. That being said, if you feel that the RnY is the right surgery for you, then of course everyone here will stand behind your decision! Do you mind me asking you why you were debating the RnY? Was there something in particular about the procedure that appeals to you? Just wondering. I'm always curious about what makes people pick one WLS over another :)

I have always thought the sleeve was right for me and my medical problems, luckly I dont have diabetes yet. Most of the people in my Nut class are diabetics and are opting for the RNY. I was starting to doubt my choice last night, but I am sure I want the sleeve.

One of my best friends had DS and that was the absolute correct surgery for her. She likes to eat a lot of food and doesn't want to restrict her diet. I and another of her friends had the VSG and I am sure that it will be the best choice for us. We have less to loose than she. If she were to regain her weight in no way would I be unsupportive or say she should have done X. I would hope she would be the same way toward me. Maybe this surgery won't work for me maybe I will regain, there is no way to tell. I am a food addict and I'm of the opinion that I will take smaller steps to help with my addiction than to dive in head first and deal with DS complications. One of the clients I clean for, her daughter had a ds and lost down to 91lbs. She was a head secretary for Disney Studios and now she can't balance her check book. There are pluses and minuses to every surgery. I'm happy with my vsg even if I am a slow looser. Even in I never get to single digit pants numbers, even if I don't get to goal. I'm happy!

Ok thanks for that visual Tiffykins....oily butt***** lol

I read this on the OH sleeve forum they are not happy!

Last Edit: 1/12/11 11:02 am

Who in the heck do you think you are? DS'ers think they have the best surgery and put people down when you are in need of help. Who are you to tell people if they dont have the DS they are not going to be a success? Who are you to say you have the BEST surgery? Who are you telling people what to do.

We need to cut your vocal chords on this site. You are very disrespectful to this site.

Dont be afraid people post your comments here. Has anyone ever run into a problem with the DS'ers.

I think we should BLOCK THE DS people. Why do DS'ers Bully Everyone here thinking they have the best surgery?DS'ers vocal chords need to be cut!

Oh my, talk about a little violent -- it's ok to be gung ho for your own weight loss surgery, but to want to "cut their vocal chords"?? wow.

Tiff, I almost choked as I was eating some chicken and read your post. But man is it sooo true. I chose the sleeve because I have an aunt who had the RnY and gained all her weight back and some. I didn't want the malabsorbtion and other complications that happen with the RnY.

:lol:

Oh wow...

Well, I guess that's that then. This thread is too funny! Ok, there was an old DS thread on the LBT site that was a crack up too. The DS folks aren't without negatives when it comes to theirs, so they really need to just stay shush.

Just want to say - I'm glad I had the VSG and likely the RNY or DS would kill me. I'm already diagnosed with anemia B-12 AND Iron. Not everyone can even have a surgery like that. It's just annoying that some folks they think they have the power to tell others what kind of surgery they should have. If they're happy with their DS... great!!!! I'm happy with my VSG.

:)

This VSF is the best, everyone (so far) is kind, supportive, carring.

Jackie

Well, I do not frequenty OH except for the VSG forum, but after seeing this I did go over there to 'snoop' a bit. And of course in every forum there are going to be people who are rude, arrogant, but also the ones who are nice, helpful, etc.

I did see a thread from someone saying "thanks for your help (or input, whatnot)" and the gal went on to say that she had done all her research and settled on the sleeve. And there must have been 6 responses from DS'ers saying "oh, good luck, hope it goes well, etc." and I didn't see anyone being nasty. So I guess the world takes all types to go round and I'm not doubting that there are people over there who will preach from the highest rock that their surgery is best and being nasty and cutthroat (cutting our vocal cords, really??) But I just wanted to say that I did see some of them being nice to someone who didn't choose the DS.

I sometimes post over at OH, but I feel like VST is home. :grouphug: