Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to check on Doctors in Mexico?

Reconciler,

I read your post on the Julybandsters thread and share very much your same story. The only difference is I don't smoke and I'm in my early thirties. I have been on every diet, diet pill and only had short term results. I am flying to Monterrey on July 17th as well. What time do you arrive in Monterrey? I arrive at 9:29 AM. I am going by myself and am a little nervous, but sooo excited at the same time!! Good luck to you ob your adventure!!

Gladster, are you with Dr. Rumbaut? I get in on Sunday because I come from NY and have to have a layover - there are no direct flights from NY to Monterrey. So in order to make the 12 noon pre-op tests deadline on Monday, I have to go on Sunday.

Are you staying at the Hamptons Inn?

hmmmm I was banded by dr Ortiz on the 26th of June & didnt have a computer (encouraged/brought to) to go " write a review" the only computers i saw was when they took me back for blood & IV & the drs were on them lol I did however use the computers at the hotel :typing: but not for review! lol I had an awesome experience but can also say WTH was up with the paper undies? :faint: & the transportation was def like an assembly line but everything else was great :clap2:

I think everyone should research research research & research some more the dr they are planning on using & don't just choose the cheapest price out there we all know the cheapest isn't the best! Everything I searched led me back to Ortiz which is why I chose him!

THANK YOU to everyone who are putting names of bad drs out there for the people who dont do the researching on their own!

*stepping off my soap box*

Just thought I'd throw in my .02 here which contradicts some of what I've read on this thread.

Huacuz just did a sleeve gastrectomy on a patient who frequesnts the Obesity Help VSG boards. She had a leak -- which is very rare, but also very serious. Other people commented on the thread that they "have heard he has a lot of complications" -- again, 2nd and 3rd hand info, but the woman DID experience a leak.

Alvarez has dozens of devoted fans who've had VSG surgery. I realize the discrepancy is with the lap-band and not VSG. But it just goes to show you that even if the info may be inflated, you can STILL end up with many satisfied and succesful patients...and that is probably the case with Huacuz.

Every doctor has their share of pateints who are unhappy or who have problems. Statistically, it is inevitable. And I do think MANY doctors pad their numbers. Not falsified, but probably they use any surgery they attended, assitsted or performed. I think most of them do this -- especially in Mexico.

Keep in mind, Ortiz has his own website and feedback page set up on a computer AT THE SURGERY CENTER. So while you're sucking on ice chips in a painkiller haze you are encouraged to write a review right there on site. Pretty smart, as most of us are like "I luve yuo Doctir Otiz!" at that point - haha!

I think the overall thing to look for is good patient feedback -- and be suspicious if people are too enthusiastic and have ZERO complaints or even mediocre reactions. It's surgery, not a day spa. Chances are you will notice SOMETHING that bugs you.

I went to Ortiz, and yes, I have glowing reviews. But I can also tell you it feels a bit like an assembly line, the transportation to and from the hotel could use some work. The nutritonal "counseling" is vague at best...see what I mean. Beware of someone who is just too thrilled about even the most mundane detail. "The hospital gowns were amazing!"

Before I was banded, I asked a lot of questions. I saved all the info on my journal if you want to check it all out!

Dr. Ortiz was awesome and the fills are awesome!!!

No one is saying that he's a bad person or has a bad bedside manner. He may be a carrying and attentive doctor, that doesnt mean that he doesnt have a higher than average rate of infection. I dont understand why you think all these people would come onto this board to lye about him. They've already given you examples of their research and still you cant even accept the possibility that what they say could have even a kernel of truth. Even bad doctors have some success stories. Why do you think that just because you didn't have complications, that no one else could have experienced any?

Yes, there may be other people who share your name on google. However, you're not going to find another person who shares your name, occupation, living location and associates...get a grip its all there in black and white.

The reason I said that 100% weight loss in all his patients is BS is because there isnt a doctor on the planet with a 100% success rate - bands are defective, people have bad reactions to them, people "eat through their bands," and so on., So NO, I don't believe that this doctor has not had any of those issues with his patients...that's ridiculous.

Frankly, I think its offensive that you are trying to silence people who are trying to educate the rest of us. Especially when you have nothing to support your claim that he doesnt have a high rate of infection.

Pelorojo I think you make a good point. I would never bother reading the reviews on the doctors board...whats the point. I think you need to come to an independent board like this one to read reviews. I have never seen a bad post about Ortiz, but If I read one, it wouldn't bother me at all. I dont feel any different about my doc than I do about my CPA or car mechanic. He's just a professional Im paying to do a job. I will be banded on July 31. So far the staff has been great, but I have to admit that Im not all that impressed with the nutritionist either. She's not very engaging.

Hey bubblebelly,

My doctor sent me a list of after care/fill doctors that he recommends in the dallas area. Dr. Jayaseelan, Dr. Maese, Dr. Dobson in Denton. There are others that I can't recall of hand. I decided to go with Dr. Jayaseelan. I talked to the nurse. SHe told me they do the fill under fluro and a barium swallow. Also, they allow you to come in and get an adjustment for free for two weeks after your fill. Other doctors I talked with would make you pay again if the fill was too mcuh or too loose. Good Luck finding one that you like.

Hello, I have been trying to read through all of the threads...hrs each night!

I am trying to find someone who has been to Dr. Valencia.

The website is alighterme.com

I did a google search and only came back to his website.

Earlier I spoke w/ his patient coordinator and Dr Valencia himself called me tonight and spoke to me almost 20 minutes.

Can you imagine an American Dr calling a patient? Not likely!

Just want to do all my research, but from my phone conversation, I was impressed.

<p><p>Anyone hear of Dr. Corvala in TJ? He practices out of the Angeles hopital. My friend and I are thinking of visiting the facility and having a consult with him Sept. 22. I am thinking we should visit Dr. Ortiz too. We are from L.A. so the trip isn't too bad. Any thoughts?</p></p> Dr. Carvala is touted by beliteweight

I had my surgery last Wednesday by Dr. Corvala. The Angels Hospital is awesome and so is Dr Corvala. I had very little pain and seem to be doing great.

Hi, I'm new here but had my surgery done at Betancourt medical center by Dr Lopez on Aug 26th 2007. I have not really had any major problems but reading this thread is scaring me to death...I couldnt find any negative info on Dr Lopez before I had the surgery.

Any info would be greatly appreciated for future reference...

Has anyone been to Dr. Ortiz, in Tijuana?

Yes, I was banded in mid August. It was fine but there is no follow-up and he is arrogant. He told me a few weeks later thta 'follow-up is not cost effective."There are lots of good docs in TJ, some of whom show a real commitment to followup. I also recently learned that the band he put in me is an older version - he must have a stock pile that he is working through.I didn't know about the poor followup when I booked and based on my experience would not have gone to him, if I knew then what I know now.

Having said that - it was fine- and if you've already committed you will be fine. Just make sure that you set up some aftercare back home. Where do you live?

Feel free to PM me if you want more info- I have what I think is an interesting story to tell