Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to check on Doctors in Mexico?

:whoo: I was banded by Dr. Franciso Gonzalez (find him at golap-band.com) his staff and patient coordinator were great! The best doctor I have had the pleasure to meet. Very professional. I paid 7,250 for surgery, hospitalization, all pre-op exams. INAMED FDA approved lap-band, he uses no other.

You can usually schedule a phone consultation with Dr. Gonzalez, oh and by the way, he never charges for adjustments (fills) and does them on "as needed " basis.

:clap2:

Yep, a sales pitch from someone that doesn't even realize they have been selling their doc x3 in one thread alone.

'nuff said?

Why is Mexico so much less.... well for one, the min wage in Canada is like $8 per hour. Most middle class people in MX make around $100 per week. That may not sound like a big difference but you have to take into account all the sallaries from the person who cleans to the nurses. Also, the overhead in MX is next to nothing. They pay less rent for there, they dont have to deal with the mosterous taxes that Canadians pay, and they dont have the same sort of problems with lawsuites. Basically everything is just plain less expensive there and it adds up to big savings for you!

Why is Mexico so much less.... well for one, the min wage in Canada is like $8 per hour. Most middle class people in MX make around $100 per week. That may not sound like a big difference but you have to take into account all the sallaries from the person who cleans to the nurses. Also, the overhead in MX is next to nothing. They pay less rent for there, they dont have to deal with the mosterous taxes that Canadians pay, and they dont have the same sort of problems with lawsuites. Basically everything is just plain less expensive there and it adds up to big savings for you!

One other issue, not sure what Canadians pay for Inamed bands but in the US Inamed charges docs almost $4K per each. In Mexico they charge the docs $2K per band.

dr. huacuz is one of the best. i dont work for him . im a real patient. some people may say bad things about him, but i had the best surgery and also follow up care. i sent many of my friends to him and all are happy.

dr. huacuz is one of the best. i dont work for him . im a real patient. some people may say bad things about him, but i had the best surgery and also follow up care. i sent many of my friends to him and all are happy.

Sadly, Dr. Huacuz is NOT one of the best. He's one of the worst. He has one of the worst reps in Mexico. Between he and Dr. Lopez from Betancourt Medical, they take the prize for worst reps. Betancourt only hires cheap help that can't get a job elsewhere. Huacuz worked for Betancourt for some time before Betancourt lost their license and he had no choice but to open up shop for himself. Then Betancourt reopened with yet ANOTHER license and it suddenly became Betancourt Medical.

I'm thrilled for you that you didn't come home with massive life threatening infections, but many do after going to your doc. So by saying the "best" you are essentially saying that a handful of patients didn't come home with life threatening infections where most docs don't have that problem.

Sorry, but a handful of positive experiences does NOT make one of the "best" in Mexico. It means that a minority of people didn't come home with infections that could kill them.

The best are folks like Aceves, Ortiz, Rodriguez from Monterrey, and Rumbaut. They don't have the infection rate that your doc does. Your doc isn't even respected by his own peers. After having to remove as many bands as they have, and they were placed by your doc... he just isn't well respected by his peers. Actually, it is his peers that are attempting to get his license pulled. Again.

im shocked to hear such bad things about dr. huacuz. where did you find this information. i did research on him and i did not find anything negative. i have heard from only on women who had a bad experience . i asked the doctor about it and he said he was not the doctor that did her surgery....

Research on Mexican docs is really pretty easy. Just do a Google search on your doc's name, you'll find a TON of info. Look at the local newspapers, ask the better docs in Mexico about him, ask patients who have mega infections... they are not rare. Do a search on Betancourt and see who and what he hires. It's nothing less than spooky. Ask the better docs how many of Huacuz' bands they have had to remove, that is freaky. His peers don't like him, not even a little. They have been trying to get his license pulled for a long time. After you have to removed umpteen bands from the same doc, you start getting a little pissy. When all the better Mexican docs have to remove umpteen bands from Huacuz' patients, you get a LOT of pissy docs that want something done once and for all.

Please remember, just because you are one of the few that had a good experience, that does NOT mean your doc is GREAT. He isn't, you just plain got lucky.

Keep in mind that the Mexican docs have to depend on rep. They don't have it as easy as US docs. When a surgeon is simply a bad surgeon they don't want or need them. They ruin the reps of the good surgeons. That is sad.

If you came home without an infection and if you make it six months without an infection, consider yourself lucky.

These are all issues that should be researched before surgery, not after.

does anyone have anything to say about this doctor?

Obesity Surgery Center - Dr. Roberto Rumbaut

and this one?

http://www.huacuz.com/index.html

i really cant believe the price difference from Canada witch is $15000 and Mexico $7000 to $10600. why is that?

andree

I had my band placed by Dr. Huacuz. He is a great surgeon and he has done my follow ups and fills. I have only good things to say about Dr. Huacuz.:clap2:

Of course that is YOUR opinion. We have direct experience with Dr. Huacuz and have put ourselves in his capable hands. Why is it that any time someone says something positive about their experience with Dr. Huacuz, you downplay it? It seems like you have some sort of unterior motive. What is the axe that you have to grind?

Where do you get your information?

No, she is NOT one of the few. There are MANY of us who have not had infections and are doing quite well. THANK YOU! And yes, we are lucky. We are lucky we found Dr. Huacuz and very fortunate indeed to be on the road to better health.

Again what do you base this frequency of infections on? Conjecture? I was banded by Dr. Huacuz as were several of my friends. NONE of us had an infection nor have any of the many patients of his that I have been in contact with and we are all more than 6 months out.

Do a search on Betancourt and see who and what he hires. It's nothing less than spooky. Ask the better docs how many of Huacuz' bands they have had to remove, that is freaky. His peers don't like him, not even a little. They have been trying to get his license pulled for a long time. After you have to removed umpteen bands from the same doc, you start getting a little pissy. When all the better Mexican docs have to remove umpteen bands from Huacuz' patients, you get a LOT of pissy docs that want something done once and for all.

Please remember, just because you are one of the few that had a good experience, that does NOT mean your doc is GREAT. He isn't, you just plain got lucky.

If you came home without an infection and if you make it six months without an infection, consider yourself lucky.

Just do a Google search, Huacuz has the same rep as Betancourt. Perhaps that's because he worked for Betancourt until Betancourt lost their license and reopened under Betancourt Medical.

There are just too many really great surgeons in Mexico to take chances with those who have poor reputations.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sadly, Dr. Huacuz is NOT one of the best. He's one of the worst. He has one of the worst reps in Mexico. Between he and Dr. Lopez from Betancourt Medical, they take the prize for worst reps. Betancourt only hires cheap help that can't get a job elsewhere. Huacuz worked for Betancourt for some time before Betancourt lost their license and he had no choice but to open up shop for himself. Then Betancourt reopened with yet ANOTHER license and it suddenly became Betancourt Medical.

I'm thrilled for you that you didn't come home with massive life threatening infections, but many do after going to your doc. So by saying the "best" you are essentially saying that a handful of patients didn't come home with life threatening infections where most docs don't have that problem.

Sorry, but a handful of positive experiences does NOT make one of the "best" in Mexico. It means that a minority of people didn't come home with infections that could kill them.

The best are folks like Aceves, Ortiz, Rodriguez from Monterrey, and Rumbaut. They don't have the infection rate that your doc does. Your doc isn't even respected by his own peers. After having to remove as many bands as they have, and they were placed by your doc... he just isn't well respected by his peers. Actually, it is his peers that are attempting to get his license pulled. Again.

I was banded by Dr. Huacuz and really happy with the results, and the medical care before and after my surgery was the best. Every time that I need an advise he is available for me.

I been reading your comments and so far I will just tell you to get more information and stop saying lies about Dr. Huacuz. He has his Medical license ok.

YOYO

Dr. Huacuz

Tijuana BC, Mexico

By Penni Crabtree and Sandra Dibble

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

April 10, 2003

Six Tijuana doctors and two San Diego County medical billing companies were snared yesterday in an FBI sting investigation of alleged cross-border insurance fraud.

All six of the doctors were arrested, and search warrants were issued for the billing operations, Med-Bill Services of Chula Vista and My-MD Coding of San Ysidro.

The 31/2-year undercover investigation, dubbed Operation Golden Tooth, is part of an ongoing probe into fraudulent health insurance claims filed with U.S. insurance companies by doctors who practice in Mexico.

Insurance fraud has long flourished along the border, a magnet for Americans who cross into Tijuana in search of cheaper medical care or medical services – such as cosmetic surgery or "alternative" cancer treatments – that aren't usually covered by U.S. insurance plans.

Since most U.S. insurance companies don't reimburse for non-emergency medical care outside the country, some Mexican doctors file false claims through third-party insurance billing firms that they hire or set up in San Diego County.

Bradlee Godshall, acting supervisory special agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said the fraudulent claims cost the U.S. insurance industry millions of dollars each year and contribute to the rising premiums paid by U.S. companies and employees.

"It's a tremendous scam," said Godshall.

For the most part, the doctors arrested in the sting were involved in cosmetic surgery and are accused of either fraudulently billing their services as emergency care or filing claims on "phantom" patients.

Godshall estimated that collectively the doctors made at least $500,000 through fraudulent billing during the course of the investigation, which was aided by several participating U.S. regulatory agencies and Mexico's Agencia Federal de Investigacion.

Those arrested in the sting operation include Dr. Carlos Alessandrini, Dr. Carlos Jaime Herrera and Dr. Severo Rios Ornelas, all Mexican citizens who also have U.S. legal permanent resident status. Alessandrini and Herrera both live in Chula Vista, while Ornelas lives in Tijuana.

Also arrested were Dr. Elia Judith Cerecer, Dr. Ricardo Vega Montiel and Dr. José Sergio verboonen Sotelo, all Mexican citizens living in Tijuana.

verboonen advertises a weight-loss surgical procedure known as gastric banding over the Internet. The English-language Web site, apparently aimed at U.S. patients, notes that his Tijuana medical office is near San Diego, making it "convenient for American patients."

In February, the newspaper Frontera identified Verboonen as president of Tijuana's College of General Surgeons.

Another of the doctors, Carlos Alessandrini, operates a Tijuana facility called Hospital Bajanor near the border in Colonia Libertad.

Dr. Juan José Camacho Romo, head of the 1,000-member Tijuana Medical College, said insurance fraud is not a common practice in the Baja California medical community.

"I don't doubt that there could be people here without scruples, but frankly they can be found anywhere," said Camacho. "The truth is that most of the time doctors act honestly."

Search warrants were also issued yesterday for the two San Diego County medical billing companies. Med-Bill Services is owned by Obdulia Soto, and My-MD Coding is owned by Marina Castanon; both live in San Diego County, and neither could be reached for comment.

During the FBI investigation, an undercover agent posed as a private investigator hired by U.S. insurance companies to investigate claims filed on behalf of Mexican doctors.

The undercover agent was given copies of suspected fraudulent claims by five insurance companies that agreed to take part in the investigation, including Aetna U.S. HealthCare, Blue Cross of California and Blue Shield of California.

After interviewing patients who received care in Mexico and verifying that the medical claims were fraudulent, the agent approached the doctors, pretending to be a corrupt investigator. The agent offered to take a financial kickback in return for recommending to the insurance companies that the claims be paid.

Doctors who agreed to go along with the scheme were also given the opportunity to submit claims for fictitious or "phantom" patients, using patient identification and insurance policy information that the undercover agent claimed to have obtained during other foreign insurance claim investigations.

The sting follows on the success of a similar FBI investigation in 1997. It resulted in the arrest of 21 people – 13 of them doctors practicing in Mexico – who were accused of submitting false claims to U.S. insurance companies for medical services and equipment they did not provide. During that investigation, two FBI agents posed as independent insurance brokers and met in the United States with doctors who practiced in Mexico. The doctors were given patient health insurance identification cards and other billing information in exchange for a percentage of the claims paid by the insurance companies.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Six Tijuana doctors arrested in sting

Wasabubble, I think its great that you post this kind of info. Its just the sort of thing that people looking for a doc want to know. I dont know anything about Dr. Huacuz, but I just looked at his site and he's claiming 100% positive weight loss for ALL of his patient....you know thats gotta be BS

I think its weird that all these Dr. Huacuz patient are getting all upset about what your saying. If I found out that my Doc has some serious problems, I wouldnt be all personally offended...whats up with that?

Lots of people are very pro-their doc. I don't know what it is about bariatric surgeons but if you watch you might see the same trends I do. People will swear by their type of procedure and their surgeon the way they swear by their religion. They will defend them the same as well.

I feel just as strong about my doc as they do theirs. I understand their frustrations with my words but I'm telling the truth.

We fatties have to stick together and help one another get the best and safest surgery possible. That's my only goal. There are just too many really great surgeons in Mexico to go to one with one of the worst reps in Mexico. Ask ANY good surgeon in Mexico about some of the bad ones and you'll hear stories that will make your skin crawl.

Just do a Google search, Huacuz has the same rep as Betancourt. Perhaps that's because he worked for Betancourt until Betancourt lost their license and reopened under Betancourt Medical.

There are just too many really great surgeons in Mexico to take chances with those who have poor reputations.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

A Google search with my name will show me as a registered nurse in South Carolina and something else in Maryland. I have never worked in the field or worked or lived in South Carolina or Maryland. In fact neither of those people with my name are me. I take google searches with a grain of salt. Situations can be manipulated and stories can be skewed. Good people work for (are contracted to) bad companies until they can disengage themselves from those bad companies. That is no reason to cast aspersions on that person when they release themselves from the bad companies.

I count my surgeon (Dr. Huacuz) among the great surgeons, so yes, we will have to agree to disagree.