Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official Ongoing Gastric Sleeve Maintenance Thread

Tiff - I so hear you. Hormones can be the devil - can't they?

Tiff - you're always OUR cheerleader - I know you can do whatever you set your mind to do. Do you think the carbs and ditiching them have anything to do with the moodiness? Is there any correlation? I know we ALL hope everything gets better and you FEEL better SOON!!!!

So, I kicked soda this week. I'm trying to avoid unhealthy carbs, but honestly I just don't give 2 shits right now. I'll be honest this whole hormonal, moodiness, downright bitchiness is really taking a toll on me. I hate feeling this way, and honestly, I was never this way pre-op, or even 6-8 months ago.

I'm still hanging around the 127-129lb range, and I'm fine with it. I wouldn't mind hovering around 123-125lbs, but what's 3-4lbs? ? ? I'm not beating myself at this weight. I'm trying to get back into working out, and it's not working with the crazy mood swings, and irritability.

I'm not being very positive, I'm beating myself up emotionally over a bunch of trivial b.s. and hopefully once I get over this moodiness, I can settle into a routine.

I'd like opinions from those of you who are also maintaining. Do you think it matters HOW we maintain? I am finally stable, but still teetering at about 8 lbs under goal. To get in the additional calories I need to maintain and not continue losing I eat a little off and on all afternoon, or so it seems. I guess I REALLY don't, but I do eat a small snack in the morning and two or three in the afternoon and maybe one before bed. That DOES seem like an all day thing! :) These Snacks are small, and range from ten or twelve Special K baked bite sized crackers, a Graham with a TB of Natural Peanut Butter, a half oz of peanuts. Maybe several bites of pumpkin bread or if I have tuna, a little tuna salad. You get the picture.

Does it matter how we get the calories? I know Hostess powder sugar donuts wouldn't be smart, Lays potato chips would be stupid, a trip to McDonalds would be a poor choice.....but things like I mentioned, are things like that alright do you think?

NtvTxn, I'm not on maintanance yet but I thing you're snackinf on the right kind of things, a Mac Donald's or a doughnut once in while as a treat is OK, more than that no!

Tiffy you go girl! Hormones can be horrible plus the giving up soda will prob have an effect on your mood. I started lowcarbing on monday, started the 5 day pouch test yesterday and am feeling a bit moody myself, haven't got to the gym yet either, I'm sure that will help :(

Tiff - you're always OUR cheerleader - I know you can do whatever you set your mind to do. Do you think the carbs and ditiching them have anything to do with the moodiness? Is there any correlation? I know we ALL hope everything gets better and you FEEL better SOON!!!!

Weird thing, I haven't ditched the carbs completely. I just 1/2 sandwich with salt/vinegar chips on it LOL. So, I haven't ditched carbs, and I really don't think it's the soda thing since I was drinking caffeine cream soda.

I have been able to pinpoint it to my ovulation week. I am much better today emotionally, but I'm still frayed. It's just weird. It's a total catch 22 situation. I want to be pregnant, and that process is long, emotionally and mentally draining me. I would love to go on birth control to help with the moodiness. By definition, I have all of the symptoms of PMDD, but can't go on bc since I want to get pregnant.

I just hate the way I feel, and act toward my family. I told my husband last night that I just wanted to crawl in a hole, and be left alone for several days. It's honestly not anything that anyone else is doing. It's all me, and I've talked to my PCM and surgeon. Neither of them want me on medication, I don't want to be on meds. I just want normalcy.

I can honestly say that I was not prepared for these emotions. I think there are too many contributing factors to pour out here. Luckily, I'm waiting to get a referral to a counselor here, and I hope I can click with her. I have a lot of stuff that I just don't share publicly. I know I'm extremely outgoing and open, but some things just are buried too deep, and I don't feel like peeling off those band-aids.

I appreciate the support. I'm just holding firm to the belief that all will be well, and things will settle down soon. I'm fighting to stay level, but it's not going so well.

At the end of my rope, and I've tied the knot to hang on. Just hope nothing comes along to unravel it at this point.

Chilo1 - Thanks for the reassurance, I really thought I was on the right track, but needed some back up....hey, pumpkin bread is my weakness now. It makes me feel decadant (sp?) with every bite. LOL We go to Star Bucks a couple of times a week and usually get a slice to share with our coffee. Believe it or not, the nutritional info is not bad, their pumpkin bread is the best choice on the entire menu, the 'entire' slice isn't horrible, but when you are only eating about a fourth of it, it's not bad at all, and it's oh-so-good!!!!

I'd pretty much given up McDonalds several years before surgery, to go back to that would be shocking to my system I am sure of it!! I LOVE their fish sandwiches and one of these days I suspect I'll get one and just eat the fish and the little bit of cheese they add. I'd much rather have ALL the fish and none of the bun, I couldn't possibly eat both now days. Things like that don't 'scare' me now, I'm finally seeing that this is NOT a diet, but our new way of life. This is how 'naturally' thin people live, eat and don't feel the guilt and don't have that constant worry!! It is strange, and not so easy to retrain the brain......THIS is the difficult part to me!!

NtvTxn, I'm not on maintanance yet but I thing you're snackinf on the right kind of things, a Mac Donald's or a doughnut once in while as a treat is OK, more than that no!

Tiffy you go girl! Hormones can be horrible plus the giving up soda will prob have an effect on your mood. I started lowcarbing on monday, started the 5 day pouch test yesterday and am feeling a bit moody myself, haven't got to the gym yet either, I'm sure that will help :(

Good to hear some positive comments. I was still losing on 1200 calories a day, so I've upped it to 1400 this week to see how I do.

I'm so afraid of getting on the scale and seeing a 10 pound weight gain. I know that's not scientifically possible, but part of me really believes it. Since this is also PMS week, I'm trying to stay off the scale for the week. Not sure if I'll make it, but I am going to try. Wish me luck!

Tiffy you know you can call me anytime. I totally understand where you're coming from.

I haven't been in a very good mood for quite awhile now. It's difficult sometimes to put one foot in front of the other and think that tomorrow will be another day.

NTV TXN you are doing great. The Snacks you're eating are healthy Snacks. You have to play around with calories and snacks to see how it's going to go. Maintenance can be tricky.

Thanks OregonDaisy - it is tricky. I woke up this morning and weigh less than I ever have. Only by half a lb, but still. I got in less calories yesterday because I went shopping and had a doctor's appointment. I also go back and forth from 1% to 2% milk. I have been drinking SKIM for 17 years so going to 1% and 2% just feels so WRONG but my dietitian suggested going to 1% during my losing stage because I was getting in so FEW calories!! I took it upon myself to go to 2% once in a while after reaching goal to help me get the additional calories. I'm still not sure I'm ok with it but when I run out and go to just 1% and skim, that is when I will start dropping again. I still struggle a little with thinking like a 'overweight' person who is dieting. I am getting better, at least when I look in the mirror I do see ME!! LOL

Tiffy you know you can call me anytime. I totally understand where you're coming from.

I haven't been in a very good mood for quite awhile now. It's difficult sometimes to put one foot in front of the other and think that tomorrow will be another day.

NTV TXN you are doing great. The Snacks you're eating are healthy Snacks. You have to play around with calories and snacks to see how it's going to go. Maintenance can be tricky.

Hi there...nice to find this post. I have been sort of in between losing and maintaining. All of a sudden around 150 I stopped losing easily. I still have some fat around my abdomen area that needs to go. I had planned to lose to 128 because that was in the normal range. But I was at 15-0-154 for a long time and now I'm 146-149. So it is slow. I just kind of went with it. I feel good for the most part. Just by days end sometimes I'm real tired, sometimes not. I have not exercised, just talked about it. I really am not sure I have the energy I need but I feel good most all the time.. I've taken this all rather slowly. I don't take as many Vitamins as most do, and I am concerned but then I am also concerned others are overdoing it on pills.. When I got this surgery I was told I might not need Vitamins, and honestly that is one of the reasons I went with this surgery. Perhaps that wasn't great information. Since then I've been told of possible Vitamin deficiencies, but I guess I need it proved to me. I'm real leary of putting a lot of things into my body throgh pills. I do take a multi (okay, sometimes) and my thyroid medicine. I try to eat a varied diet, but I wanted to see for myself where I am at. I don't want to become ill bc I'm deficient, but I'm very hard headed when it comes to taking vitamins. I am thinking of going this week for bloodwork as my doctor has a special running on it. I haven't been to the doctor in a long time, and honestly probably won't go see him, just the blood work. I am not close to my doctors really.

I eat a varied diet, and sometimes I feel satisfied after a meal, but generally speaking I don't get that satiated feeling as much as I'd like - the kind of full where you are full for a long time. A lot of times my meal feels like it doesn't immediately go all the way down to fill my sleeve. Usually it is when I'm not chewing enough OR I'm not relaxed. The worst if if a disagreement happens during dinner like bt my husband and son. My lil tummy tightens and I just don't digest as well. I love being relaxed when I eat with no worries. My husband will eat a huge huge meal and be satisfied almost all day. He is NOT a snacker and he doesn't have a weight issue. I eat the same meal but so small, and then in a couple hours I'm snacking. i enjoy snacking so much, but feel it is keeping me from my goal. There have been days, especially through holidays that are just one long snacking day. I love that! One day after Christmas we had all these Protein filled appetizers like a mexican shrimp cocktail and a cream cheese ball w ham, green onions, pecans. I would just gradually move back and forth throughout the day and I was sooooo food happy! But I want to lose at least 10 more lbs so I need to chill. It has been easier since the holidays, but damn if I don't need to make another shrimp cocktail bc I've been craving it. I just love Snacks. But Snacks with Protein are my favorite definitely.

I'm not a very regimented person, and enjoyed the weight loss that came with very little effort on my part. I want that back! But I definitely have changed the way I eat quite a bit and quite naturally. I want real food, not junk. Okay sometimes junk too, but only for a snack. When it is mealtime I do not really want Pasta or chicken nuggets. I want a hot plate of well cooked lean food. I have no problem with carbs, I want the nutrients of good food so I tend to not eat a lot of carbs. If I want rice, I'll maybe have it more as a snack, if at all. I can eat a bite or two of bread/tortilla if it is good quality. Otherwise, I don't bother. I used to eat a lot of sandwiches, can't remember the last one. Except a hamburger, I reallllly enjoy that very occasionally but the way I eat it is actually still great bc hardly any bread gets eaten. I'll eat a french fry or two bc it takes too much room in my tummy. When I eat a burger I'm looking for good meat and a few bites of veggies. I love fresh veggies and cooked Beans the best. I love carrots and tomatoes I guess bc they are sweet. And crispy lettuce. But I am extremely picky about the quality and preparation of my food. I really want to enjoy every bite.

I don't eat the nuts that many of you do, but am addicted to sunflower seeds. I eat a small pack a day, sometimes two, sometimes none for a few days. I think originally I needed the salt bc my BP was low and I would get dizzy. And I needed Fiber which I noticed the seeds kind of helped keep me regulated. I went with the craving, as I usually do. I didn't even know why I was craving it but figured it out later that I needed the salt and Fiber. I really am in tune to my body in that way, it tells me what I need. Then I found a lower salt sunflower seed with fresher seeds and switched bc I didn't need the high salt anymore. The brand is Lance. I ONLY like them in the shell, bc it is like a mindless snacking process that lets me munch and not really get full and not really hurt myself. I tend to create a messy car if I eat them in there, you always see lil bowls of cups of seeds around me. haha I enjoy chips and snickers I guess - but get no satisfaction from that or very little. So things like that are more if I'm on my period and craving chocolate. But I think chocolate gives me reflux so I tend to avoid it. If I'm going to eat choclate, I want something good that I like not cheap chocolate. The chips, it varies, but not something I would go out and buy. I enjoy a big pot of pinto Beans where I can get a small bowl a couple times a day. That is what I made for ths week. I have ham in there bc I had a big meaty bone leftover from the holidays.

I think for the most part I am doing okay. I can eat a ding dong, but it is so rare you know. I enjoy my coffee in the morning so much, and just don't want to eat until 11:00 usually lunch. Then I snack a lot in the afternoon. Eat something at night that isn't huge.

I definitely don't feel I have a big sleeve. There are times like this weekend we went for a steak. I wanted so much to eat a lot of it. But I had a very small dinner salad that I made at the salad bar. It had thousand island dresing and it was just a damn good salad. I ate all of it which was probably a half cup. We had ordered fried mushrooms, and I think I ate 2 of those with homemade ranch dressing. I wanted to eat 10. When my steak and potato came I ate probably 2 oz and one bite of potato. It was hilarious bc I went to dinner with my gastric bypass friend. We split the ribeye, which wound up being quite huge. We ordered an extra salad bar although between us we didn't eat a total of 1 salad, but felt it would be a kind gesture to add $2.50 for an extra salad.. Then my husband and 3 yo son, who had been to Chuck E. Cheeses pizza birthday party, showed up on their way home. He ordered a coke and finished our steak. We were there on a restaurant.com certificate. With our coupon for 4 adults the bill was $40 with a huge tip including the coupon. My friends daughter had her own ribeye on our bill, which she brought home leftovers, but our ribeye steak was shared by 3 people. I felt so bad about it, bc the restaurant obviously needed more business. But there was so much steak left it didn't make sense for my husband to order one as by the time he came we were done eating. Probably won't go back there for a while though. We did explain to waitress, who was fat, but not interested in conversing about WLS. I don't usually explain, but it was so obvious bc we were both just not able to eat and she kept questioning if we didn't like it, and it was actually the best steak I've had.

But you know, if you look at how big that steak was, it probably doesn't need to be eaten by one person anyway. People are starving in parts of the world and here we have this huge steak and feel guilty we can't eat it. ha!

BTW my gastric bypass friend can eat more than me, but not double what I eat. Maybe she can eat 50 percent more, at best. She has also stopped losing short of her goal although she may be at a stall. I have a feeling she'll be a regainer eventually, sadly sadly sadly. I think if you are not real motivated the sleeve is the better bang for the buck. She got the GB bc her insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve. She really trusts her doctor, who told her at her age (58) and weight (she was 310 that the GB was his recommendation for her. Of course, he said no reason to discuss sleeve since her plan would not cover it anyway. She looks good, and honestly she looked like she was heading for a heart attack so I'm grateful for the GB for her since that is all insurance would cover. But of course long term, ugh. I know she also does not take her vitamins regularly. Hard headed women we are. But with her surgery she knows she must, but doesn't.

Sorry so long, guess I'm up early and bored.

If you're really tired, you may be anemic. It's pretty common for people who are sleeved to become anemic.

We don't eat enough red meat to keep us from becoming anemic.

Hi there...nice to find this post. I have been sort of in between losing and maintaining. All of a sudden around 150 I stopped losing easily. I still have some fat around my abdomen area that needs to go. I had planned to lose to 128 because that was in the normal range. But I was at 15-0-154 for a long time and now I'm 146-149. So it is slow. I just kind of went with it. I feel good for the most part. Just by days end sometimes I'm real tired, sometimes not. I have not exercised, just talked about it. I really am not sure I have the energy I need but I feel good most all the time.. I've taken this all rather slowly. I don't take as many Vitamins as most do, and I am concerned but then I am also concerned others are overdoing it on pills.. When I got this surgery I was told I might not need Vitamins, and honestly that is one of the reasons I went with this surgery. Perhaps that wasn't great information. Since then I've been told of possible Vitamin deficiencies, but I guess I need it proved to me. I'm real leary of putting a lot of things into my body throgh pills. I do take a multi (okay, sometimes) and my thyroid medicine. I try to eat a varied diet, but I wanted to see for myself where I am at. I don't want to become ill bc I'm deficient, but I'm very hard headed when it comes to taking vitamins. I am thinking of going this week for bloodwork as my doctor has a special running on it. I haven't been to the doctor in a long time, and honestly probably won't go see him, just the blood work. I am not close to my doctors really.

I eat a varied diet, and sometimes I feel satisfied after a meal, but generally speaking I don't get that satiated feeling as much as I'd like - the kind of full where you are full for a long time. A lot of times my meal feels like it doesn't immediately go all the way down to fill my sleeve. Usually it is when I'm not chewing enough OR I'm not relaxed. The worst if if a disagreement happens during dinner like bt my husband and son. My lil tummy tightens and I just don't digest as well. I love being relaxed when I eat with no worries. My husband will eat a huge huge meal and be satisfied almost all day. He is NOT a snacker and he doesn't have a weight issue. I eat the same meal but so small, and then in a couple hours I'm snacking. i enjoy snacking so much, but feel it is keeping me from my goal. There have been days, especially through holidays that are just one long snacking day. I love that! One day after Christmas we had all these Protein filled appetizers like a mexican shrimp cocktail and a cream cheese ball w ham, green onions, pecans. I would just gradually move back and forth throughout the day and I was sooooo food happy! But I want to lose at least 10 more lbs so I need to chill. It has been easier since the holidays, but damn if I don't need to make another shrimp cocktail bc I've been craving it. I just love Snacks. But Snacks with Protein are my favorite definitely.

I'm not a very regimented person, and enjoyed the weight loss that came with very little effort on my part. I want that back! But I definitely have changed the way I eat quite a bit and quite naturally. I want real food, not junk. Okay sometimes junk too, but only for a snack. When it is mealtime I do not really want Pasta or chicken nuggets. I want a hot plate of well cooked lean food. I have no problem with carbs, I want the nutrients of good food so I tend to not eat a lot of carbs. If I want rice, I'll maybe have it more as a snack, if at all. I can eat a bite or two of bread/tortilla if it is good quality. Otherwise, I don't bother. I used to eat a lot of sandwiches, can't remember the last one. Except a hamburger, I reallllly enjoy that very occasionally but the way I eat it is actually still great bc hardly any bread gets eaten. I'll eat a french fry or two bc it takes too much room in my tummy. When I eat a burger I'm looking for good meat and a few bites of veggies. I love fresh veggies and cooked Beans the best. I love carrots and tomatoes I guess bc they are sweet. And crispy lettuce. But I am extremely picky about the quality and preparation of my food. I really want to enjoy every bite.

I don't eat the nuts that many of you do, but am addicted to sunflower seeds. I eat a small pack a day, sometimes two, sometimes none for a few days. I think originally I needed the salt bc my BP was low and I would get dizzy. And I needed fiber which I noticed the seeds kind of helped keep me regulated. I went with the craving, as I usually do. I didn't even know why I was craving it but figured it out later that I needed the salt and fiber. I really am in tune to my body in that way, it tells me what I need. Then I found a lower salt sunflower seed with fresher seeds and switched bc I didn't need the high salt anymore. The brand is Lance. I ONLY like them in the shell, bc it is like a mindless snacking process that lets me munch and not really get full and not really hurt myself. I tend to create a messy car if I eat them in there, you always see lil bowls of cups of seeds around me. haha I enjoy chips and snickers I guess - but get no satisfaction from that or very little. So things like that are more if I'm on my period and craving chocolate. But I think chocolate gives me reflux so I tend to avoid it. If I'm going to eat choclate, I want something good that I like not cheap chocolate. The chips, it varies, but not something I would go out and buy. I enjoy a big pot of pinto Beans where I can get a small bowl a couple times a day. That is what I made for ths week. I have ham in there bc I had a big meaty bone leftover from the holidays.

I think for the most part I am doing okay. I can eat a ding dong, but it is so rare you know. I enjoy my coffee in the morning so much, and just don't want to eat until 11:00 usually lunch. Then I snack a lot in the afternoon. Eat something at night that isn't huge.

I definitely don't feel I have a big sleeve. There are times like this weekend we went for a steak. I wanted so much to eat a lot of it. But I had a very small dinner salad that I made at the salad bar. It had thousand island dresing and it was just a damn good salad. I ate all of it which was probably a half cup. We had ordered fried mushrooms, and I think I ate 2 of those with homemade ranch dressing. I wanted to eat 10. When my steak and potato came I ate probably 2 oz and one bite of potato. It was hilarious bc I went to dinner with my gastric bypass friend. We split the ribeye, which wound up being quite huge. We ordered an extra salad bar although between us we didn't eat a total of 1 salad, but felt it would be a kind gesture to add $2.50 for an extra salad.. Then my husband and 3 yo son, who had been to Chuck E. Cheeses pizza birthday party, showed up on their way home. He ordered a coke and finished our steak. We were there on a restaurant.com certificate. With our coupon for 4 adults the bill was $40 with a huge tip including the coupon. My friends daughter had her own ribeye on our bill, which she brought home leftovers, but our ribeye steak was shared by 3 people. I felt so bad about it, bc the restaurant obviously needed more business. But there was so much steak left it didn't make sense for my husband to order one as by the time he came we were done eating. Probably won't go back there for a while though. We did explain to waitress, who was fat, but not interested in conversing about WLS. I don't usually explain, but it was so obvious bc we were both just not able to eat and she kept questioning if we didn't like it, and it was actually the best steak I've had.

But you know, if you look at how big that steak was, it probably doesn't need to be eaten by one person anyway. People are starving in parts of the world and here we have this huge steak and feel guilty we can't eat it. ha!

BTW my gastric bypass friend can eat more than me, but not double what I eat. Maybe she can eat 50 percent more, at best. She has also stopped losing short of her goal although she may be at a stall. I have a feeling she'll be a regainer eventually, sadly sadly sadly. I think if you are not real motivated the sleeve is the better bang for the buck. She got the GB bc her insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve. She really trusts her doctor, who told her at her age (58) and weight (she was 310 that the GB was his recommendation for her. Of course, he said no reason to discuss sleeve since her plan would not cover it anyway. She looks good, and honestly she looked like she was heading for a heart attack so I'm grateful for the GB for her since that is all insurance would cover. But of course long term, ugh. I know she also does not take her vitamins regularly. Hard headed women we are. But with her surgery she knows she must, but doesn't.

I took vitamins before surgery. There's plenty of research articles out there that prove we can not consume enough micro and macro nutrients from food even with a varied diet, it is just not possible.

Plus, the portion of the stomach that is removed with VSG is responsible for making the intrinsic factor which makes B12 absorption readily available by the intestines. Well, we don't have that part of the stomach so we're kind of screwed if the b12 we are getting in from food is not being broken down by the intrinsic factor and being pooped right out. I take a sublingual b12 a couple times a week.

There are neurological and physical ailments that can come with a B12 deficiency so if you aren't going to take anything, please be aware of this major concern with VSG patients. It's documented thoroughly and you can research it on pubmed.com or springerlink.com

Iron is another big one that people with altered insides suffer. Unless, you're eating tons of Iron rich foods, spinach (fresh or lightly steamed), red meat etc then you can't be taking in enough.

A comprehensive blood panel is definitely a good idea at least every year. You really don't want to deal with taking more vitamins, or worse iron infusions and b12 injections to get your levels up. A little preventative maintenance can go a long way in my opinion. I always make sure my surgeon pulls my B12, folate, Vitamin A, E B, B12, D and D3 and E along with copper, selenium and zinc to ensure that I am staying within normal levels. I eat some form of red meat almost every day of my life, and eat 2-3 medium size 1.5-2 cups of fresh spinach salads weekly, and my iron is barely over low normal levels with a count of 48 (normal range is 30-124 (my by lab ranges), and luckily my hemoglobin and hematocrit are normal levels or I'd be taking additional iron. Least to say, I'm going back in March to see if my iron level has come up, if it's not on the way up, I'm definitely going to increase either my lean red meat intake, or start taking an iron supplement to stay ahead of this number.

I'm with you on restriction changing if I'm stressed. I was like that pre-op so I'm not surprised by tighter restriction if I'm stressed out over something.

Thanks. My cousin was just telling me the same thing about the B12 and Iron and also Vitamin D. I honestly need to stop being hard headed about this. I did take bloodwork a while back, and it showed slightly low levels in some areas. I started taking the Vitamins and then stopped. I called today and got appt to get my blood drawn. I just want to see where I am before I get back with it. I am the one that avoids all things unnatural. I am very mistrustful of today's scientific advice that later turns out to be awful for some other unforeseen reason. So it is just really hard to give into needing this.

For instance, my thyroid was likely fried at a young age bc of exposure to chlorine. Who would know.....you try to get your kids to swim in clean Water only to have it zap their iodine. My aunt took pills throughout her 6 pregnancies for nausea that later caused her children to be infertile. You just never know, and I am so cautious. But obviously if the doctor did not give me the full story, I have to accept that and take what I need to take. I actually have no problem taking Vitamins B & D. I don't love taking the multi but it is a chewable and I live through it. The Calcium is hard bc it hurts my tummy which makes me suspicious. The Iron tends to constipate me which I hate.

I don't eat the nuts that many of you do, but am addicted to sunflower seeds. I eat a small pack a day, sometimes two, sometimes none for a few days. I think originally I needed the salt bc my BP was low and I would get dizzy. And I needed fiber which I noticed the seeds kind of helped keep me regulated. I went with the craving, as I usually do. I didn't even know why I was craving it but figured it out later that I needed the salt and fiber. I really am in tune to my body in that way, it tells me what I need. Then I found a lower salt sunflower seed with fresher seeds and switched bc I didn't need the high salt anymore. The brand is Lance. I ONLY like them in the shell, bc it is like a mindless snacking process that lets me munch and not really get full and not really hurt myself. I tend to create a messy car if I eat them in there, you always see lil bowls of cups of seeds around me. haha I enjoy chips and snickers I guess - but get no satisfaction from that or very little. So things like that are more if I'm on my period and craving chocolate. But I think chocolate gives me reflux so I tend to avoid it. If I'm going to eat choclate, I want something good that I like not cheap chocolate. The chips, it varies, but not something I would go out and buy. I enjoy a big pot of pinto Beans where I can get a small bowl a couple times a day. That is what I made for ths week. I have ham in there bc I had a big meaty bone leftover from the holidays.

pumpkin I can see where you are coming from when you say people are overdoing it with pills, but as Tiffy, research clearly shows that there are certain things we SHOULD be taking. I don't like taking vitamins/supplements either, because I used to eat loads of everything before surgery. As sonn as I started the preop liver shrinking diet I started taking my Multivitamin. Now I take my multi, B12 (you can't overdose on B12 ) Iron (true about Constipation for me too, I use benefiber or similar everday) Calcium (even though I drink loads of milk, calcium absorption can be tricky). I'd rather be safe then sorry, and even though I eat more than most people w sleeves 1000-1200 cal and now I include ALL foodgroups, 5 1//2 months out I still take my vitamins. My Surgeon recommends to take them for life :o

I'm still on my losing journey, a long way from maintenance, but I listen eagerly when all of you start talking, so that I can be prepared for the day when my actions are on par with or edge out the sleeve's protection.

We are all people that are kicking a habit, just like cigarette smokers. I am a firm believer that many of us got into the positions we did because we were self-medicating with food, literally, I don't mean that in some hugs & rainbows way. I really mean that; the chemicals in carbs and sugar acted on our brains in exactly the same way as opiates, putting us in a creamy dreamy comforted place that was soothing, a place where nothing could reach or hurt us. Until it was time for another fix.

Now we have to face all the stuff the drug was shielding us from.

Tiff, you are an amazingly strong woman. This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass.