Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official Ongoing Gastric Sleeve Maintenance Thread

pumpkin - You are being a 'little' stubborn! ;) Taking a multi is something I've been doing since I was about 35....I'm 51 now. It is something we give our children for years, stop for a while and then they start up again at some point they are adults! I think most of us as women are told by our family doctors to start taking Calcium, as well as a multi when we turn 40. So I'd been taking both for ten years when I had surgery. I also was taking VitD because I live in Wisconsin and go without sunshine a good deal of the time. I switched from Calcium carbonate to citrate.....if you haven't known any of the hunched over old women with osteoperosis (sp) - pay attention, consider those chocolate little 'tootsie rolls, preventive maintenence. I take the chocolate Bariatric Advantage, they're like choc. candy! Love 'em!! The only 'new' thing I take is B12, and now I have my husband taking it too. It isn't like they have us taking something we can sell on the street.....this is good stuff, nothing alternative or controversial. I don't take Iron, it is nothing that my doctor recommends unless my bloodwork indicates I am low. If you are low in areas, I am willing to be you will have health issues on down the line. I can't imagine that is something you want to gamble on. Put this into perspetive, it's vitimins, not oxycodone! :)

Thanks. My cousin was just telling me the same thing about the B12 and Iron and also Vitamin D. I honestly need to stop being hard headed about this. I did take bloodwork a while back, and it showed slightly low levels in some areas. I started taking the Vitamins and then stopped. I called today and got appt to get my blood drawn. I just want to see where I am before I get back with it. I am the one that avoids all things unnatural. I am very mistrustful of today's scientific advice that later turns out to be awful for some other unforeseen reason. So it is just really hard to give into needing this.

For instance, my thyroid was likely fried at a young age bc of exposure to chlorine. Who would know.....you try to get your kids to swim in clean Water only to have it zap their iodine. My aunt took pills throughout her 6 pregnancies for nausea that later caused her children to be infertile. You just never know, and I am so cautious. But obviously if the doctor did not give me the full story, I have to accept that and take what I need to take. I actually have no problem taking Vitamins B & D. I don't love taking the multi but it is a chewable and I live through it. The calcium is hard bc it hurts my tummy which makes me suspicious. The iron tends to constipate me which I hate.

Hey Tiff - how are you doing 'coke free'? How are you feeling? Just checking in.

So, I kicked soda this week. I'm trying to avoid unhealthy carbs, but honestly I just don't give 2 shits right now. I'll be honest this whole hormonal, moodiness, downright bitchiness is really taking a toll on me. I hate feeling this way, and honestly, I was never this way pre-op, or even 6-8 months ago.

I'm still hanging around the 127-129lb range, and I'm fine with it. I wouldn't mind hovering around 123-125lbs, but what's 3-4lbs? ? ? I'm not beating myself at this weight. I'm trying to get back into working out, and it's not working with the crazy mood swings, and irritability.

I'm not being very positive, I'm beating myself up emotionally over a bunch of trivial b.s. and hopefully once I get over this moodiness, I can settle into a routine.

Well, I just don't believe everything I hear when it comes to medicine, including Vitamins. ESPECIALLY with my little bity tiny stomach that I want to protect from ulcers and so forth.. It isn't a mistrust of doctors exactly just an awareness that every action has a reaction and and an outcome, and we don't always know all of the outcomes for those actions today. Common sense goes a long way. How many examples do we need, you know. Lets see...the weight loss drug that caused heart valve problems, and so on.

Like taking an antacid every single day...who knows what the outcome of that might be in years to come. You know who said that to me...my SURGEON. He believes in taking what you truly need, and that I do agree with him on and I will discuss it further with him after my blood is drawn up.

That said, however, I will try harder to comprehend the reality of this intrinsic factor and so forth and find solutions I can live with healthily. But one burning question I have is if we can't absorb Vitamin B in our food b/c we have no intrinisic factor then how is it different with a pill? That makes no sense to me. I understand the sublingal under the tongue, but how would a pill be absorbed? Is it better to get a monthly shot, etc.? Is the shot painful? I hate things that taste bad.

And as for Calcium someone mentioned a cinnamon chewable. I forgot to write the name if anyone knows of it. I just hope it doen't hurt my stomach! I took a calcium today bc I felt bad that I'm being stubborn and it burned, even though I took it with food. That seems bad for my stomach. I hate drinking crap, so I hope I can find something easy. I like cinnamon. I'll google it.

I love taking Vitamin D, and like I said I sometimes take my chewable multi. I hate it, but like that it is chewable because I heard unabsorbed Vitamins again and again in your system can cause liver problems. Sometimes people do over do, your body has to be able to handle all this too.

I know I just gotta try harder, I really do, but very worried about burning a hole in my sleeve.

Of course I never took great care of myself, which is how I got here in the first place. I do realize that. I am stubborn, but I am aware that I am. I tend to learn things the hard way in life. I don't mean to, and I don't want to have my bones go to dust while I'm still kicking them. But wonder how effective these calcium chewables are.

I did have a bone density test early on, and i was fine. My Vitamin B's were all fine 4 mos ago. My calcium was low and my Iron and my Vitamin D.< /p>

Globetrotter you don't have to be on maintenance to post on this thread!

I totally agree that people medicate themselves with food. That is something that makes maintenance a challenge. We have a honeymoon phase with this surgery, and after that it's much easier to gain. It's too bad that can't fix our brains when they fix our stomachs!

Sorry it has been so long. I’m really working hard at getting out of the house more and socializing more so in return I haven't been getting online as much. BUT I really miss you guys. I need to get on here more so I have people to talk to that understand me better. My WLS is still a secret to most people and even if people know about the WLS they don’t really understand.

SO as of this week I have go from a size 20 high to a size 5/6!! The last time I got this butt into a size 6 I was 14 years old! GET THIS THOUGH I can get a size 4 on, it just looks tight BUT I haven't got a size 4 over my thighs since I was 12!! I AM SO PUMPED!! On the weight side of things I’m have gone from around 210 high to now I am an amazing 132!! I didn't even know I could get in the 130's and now I’m starting to get close to the 120’s.

Okay but side note.. Anyone that has hit their goal weight having some head issues with gaining the weight back. I have a Super Sleeve (pretty much the same as a VSG they just don’t take out the extra part of my stomach instead they fold it over) so of course we eat next to nothing but now I have it in my head that I’m starting to eat too much. I’m a little scared that I’m going to go from over eating disorder to under eating disorder. It started a few days before Christmas when I got sick and couldn’t eat for a few days. Now I have a bit of a fear of food. Maybe I’m just being silly. It is my time of the month and I tend to worry more and gain a bit of weight. Advise??

--------------------

I have been telling myself it is okay to keep lowering my goal since I thought 145 was impossible a first but I hit it so I changed it to 140, then 135, and now 130 but since I'm almost 130 I want to change it to 125. Just 5 more lbs.

Here is my main worry when I was over 200 lbs I knew I must be big but honestly I was in so much denial that I didn't see myself as big BUT now that I'm thin I see myself as big. I see the area I want to work on and could be better. Maybe it is just hoping knowing I can get the body I've always wanted but some where I have to find peace in myself. At some point there has to be happiness.

Maybe I've just gone crazy lol

I'm just curious about the 'super sleeve' - you said they fold it over rather than remove it. Do you mean that none of your stomach was removed? Do you still have the hunger hormone? I'm just wondering if you feel the same restriction and same lack of hunger that I do. Very interesting....as far as the other stuff....it sure does mess with our heads, doesn't it? It does take awhile for our brains to catch up to what our surgeon did to our tummy! I am about eight lbs below goal and there is part of me that would like to go lower just because I KNOW I can! :)

Sorry it has been so long. I’m really working hard at getting out of the house more and socializing more so in return I haven't been getting online as much. BUT I really miss you guys. I need to get on here more so I have people to talk to that understand me better. My WLS is still a secret to most people and even if people know about the WLS they don’t really understand.

SO as of this week I have go from a size 20 high to a size 5/6!! The last time I got this butt into a size 6 I was 14 years old! GET THIS THOUGH I can get a size 4 on, it just looks tight BUT I haven't got a size 4 over my thighs since I was 12!! I AM SO PUMPED!! On the weight side of things I’m have gone from around 210 high to now I am an amazing 132!! I didn't even know I could get in the 130's and now I’m starting to get close to the 120’s.

Okay but side note.. Anyone that has hit their goal weight having some head issues with gaining the weight back. I have a Super Sleeve (pretty much the same as a VSG they just don’t take out the extra part of my stomach instead they fold it over) so of course we eat next to nothing but now I have it in my head that I’m starting to eat too much. I’m a little scared that I’m going to go from over eating disorder to under eating disorder. It started a few days before Christmas when I got sick and couldn’t eat for a few days. Now I have a bit of a fear of food. Maybe I’m just being silly. It is my time of the month and I tend to worry more and gain a bit of weight. Advise??

--------------------

I have been telling myself it is okay to keep lowering my goal since I thought 145 was impossible a first but I hit it so I changed it to 140, then 135, and now 130 but since I'm almost 130 I want to change it to 125. Just 5 more lbs.

Here is my main worry when I was over 200 lbs I knew I must be big but honestly I was in so much denial that I didn't see myself as big BUT now that I'm thin I see myself as big. I see the area I want to work on and could be better. Maybe it is just hoping knowing I can get the body I've always wanted but some where I have to find peace in myself. At some point there has to be happiness.

Maybe I've just gone crazy lol

This is the first I've seen of this thread or I would have posted earlier., I guess I may be the odd duck in the group because I've been at the same weight for about 6 months and I eat whatever I want. I don't count calories or carbs. I drink a coke once or twice a week. I eat cake, candy (a few bites of dark chocolate), chips, rice, full-fat cheeses, etc without even thinking about it. I love salads, but I eat regular dressing on them along with diced ham and cheese. I don't eat ice cream, fried foods or anything greasy (sausage, bacon, etc.) because I had my gall bladder removed with my VSG and those things nauseate me now.

I don't eat bread with meals, but that's because I'm trying to make sure I get all my Protein in first. I will have 1/2 an English Muffin with honey or Peanut Butter as a snack sometimes though. And I usually have a Protein Bar laying around to take a few bites out of when I feel that tummy hunger between meals. I guess I would say I eat a well-balanced diet, but I don't stress about it.

I went to Italy last May and walked a few miles daily to get in shape for the trip, but since then I've done virtually NO exercise . My muscle tone is terrible, so I know I need to work out to get it back. But right now I've got a broken rib with another month to heal, so I'll have to wait to get started back with the weights.

At first I was afraid I'd get huge again if I ate regular food, but I guess at thispoint my body is happy where it is and is going to stay at this weight. Not to say that I don't watch the scale though. I fluxuate between 3 lbs. If it got more than that, then I'll cut down on carbs and see if that helps. But so far, I just eat what I want in small quantities and have stayed steady (knock wood).

TexasT - Seeing this makes me feel better. You are eating basically like I am, and I am WORKING on feeling like a 'normal thin' person....not worrying about what I eat. I weigh daily and every night as well. It's like a game I play. I guess what I'll weigh in the morning by what I weigh at night. I vary between seven and nine lbs below goal and am finding it easy to maintain. I don't eat fried foods, although I'll eat a few fries off someone elses plate but that is rare and I ate five pieces of fried okra from my husband's plate when we were at a Cracker Barrel last weekend. We didn't really eat friend food before I had surgery though. I AM aware of everything I eat and it seems like I am 'snacking' off and on all day just to get my calories in to maintain, if I slow down, I start to lose again...and then I have days like yesterday when I have the munchies.....do NORMAL people do this? People who have never had a weight problem??!!! I didn't wake up this morning and weigh more and of course I can't eat much at all, I just had the munchies. I don't eat chips, but we don't keep them in the house. My new love is Graham Crackers with a little Peanut Butter. I just want to get past WORRYING about re-gaining. I've been at goal and maintaining since the first week of Nov. When do we feel 'secure' - when did it happen for you? You look great, congrats!!

This is the first I've seen of this thread or I would have posted earlier., I guess I may be the odd duck in the group because I've been at the same weight for about 6 months and I eat whatever I want. I don't count calories or carbs. I drink a coke once or twice a week. I eat cake, candy (a few bites of dark chocolate), chips, rice, full-fat cheeses, etc without even thinking about it. I love salads, but I eat regular dressing on them along with diced ham and cheese. I don't eat ice cream, fried foods or anything greasy (sausage, bacon, etc.) because I had my gall bladder removed with my VSG and those things nauseate me now.

I don't eat bread with meals, but that's because I'm trying to make sure I get all my Protein in first. I will have 1/2 an English Muffin with honey or Peanut Butter as a snack sometimes though. And I usually have a Protein Bar laying around to take a few bites out of when I feel that tummy hunger between meals. I guess I would say I eat a well-balanced diet, but I don't stress about it.

I went to Italy last May and walked a few miles daily to get in shape for the trip, but since then I've done virtually NO exercise . My muscle tone is terrible, so I know I need to work out to get it back. But right now I've got a broken rib with another month to heal, so I'll have to wait to get started back with the weights.

At first I was afraid I'd get huge again if I ate regular food, but I guess at thispoint my body is happy where it is and is going to stay at this weight. Not to say that I don't watch the scale though. I fluxuate between 3 lbs. If it got more than that, then I'll cut down on carbs and see if that helps. But so far, I just eat what I want in small quantities and have stayed steady (knock wood).

It is exciting to talk to people that live somewhere close to their goal, and are maintaining without a lot of thought to diet. That is why I had this surgery. I sit here now eating sunflower seeds with my coffee (???) but that is what I wanted this morning. I just don't want to LIVE on a diet, just with restriction. I love it! I am wearing this really cute denim outfit today and I'm having lunch with a friend that hasn't seen me in a while so she is going to FREAK OUT. She never knew me thin, because it has been 20 years since I was small and didn't know her yet. I can't remember if she knew I had WLS. I don't think so. We'll see.

Yesterday I went to a food show from a vendor, and our old salesman from a few years ago saw me and he was just FLOORED. I saw him just speechless all day. He literally was shocked and couldn't find the words.. Another day our lawn man was so excited he was jumping up and down. It was so hilarious, he was so happy for me. Those kinds of reaction are so cute. There are so many people in this world who just want the very best for people, and I love those people. I'm that way - always happy for the happiness and good fortune of others. But there are those that are like, well, bc she had weight loss surgery...and she'll probably gain it back, etc. Negative Nincompoops.....I just don't discuss with them.

And just an aside, I started taking all my Vitamins except Calcium. I gotta change my viewpoint. I went to look for another calcium citrate that might not hurt (I use the petite ones and they hurt my stomach) and I couldn't find them. How tricky some are call CALTRATE so i thought that would mean calcium citrate but when you look at the label it is calcium carbonate. Oh I just realized why, that also ends in "ate". I thought they were trying to be tricky. I'll google it and find some samples. But nothing else I'm taking hurts so I will start again here.

Here comes Spring soon...I have NO clothes. AGH. At least the jeans will carry over. My husband is not expecting to have to buy more clothes. That is the most expensive part of this whole process...I do well buying for the season, but the next season have to start again. I miss having those fallbacks in the closet. When I say I have nothing to wear, he doesn't understand I AM SERIOUS, I have NOTHING to wear. haha

Ya'll have a good day. I'm happy for you!

Okay, I am basically "at goal" since goal was 155 for me (5' 8") but will probably continue to lose to around 140 or so (whatever my body wants to do). Was sleeved in June 2010 and have lost 93 lbs. Saw my Dr for 6 mo visit end of December and he TOLD me to "snack more"! Ha! Now THAT was eye opening!

We were discussing blood sugar drops (mine seems to be going low at times). Anybody else bothered with this? Also, someone mentioned getting dizzy and light headed. Most ANYTIME I get up suddenly or get up from bed I have to stand perfectly still for a couple of seconds to make sure I have my balance/bearings or I will get totally light headed.

Just had blood work and everything perfect but a litlte low on Vitamin D so all in al looks good. As to maintenance, I dont envision any problems right now. Since I can't eat much at a setting (maybe 3-4 bites of a sandwich or 1/2 small chilli or small bowl of soup) and even if snacking, can't each much at a time so I think it is just choices, choices, choices!

And I agree with all of you - sometimes you just need to go ahead and have a bite or two and not deny yourself the "pleasure" knowing that it can't be a habit.

Glad to have a "community" of people to share with! Sick 'em, sleevers!

I totally know what you mean....when they told me I need to add Snacks in to get more calories, I thought, 'Oh no, isn't that starting a bad habit??' I've decided that this is what normally thin people do and don't think about it or feel guilty about it. I must snack because I can't possibly eat more at my meals. I have added more caloric foods into my diet when we eat out when possible - like full fat dressing on the side or if my meat comes with a sauce, I'll get it on the side and dip in it if I want to. It is just WEIRD because before surgery I would not have gotten the sauce at all. The dressing I always got on the side....but I'm doing things NOW in moderation that I did not do before. It is getting past the "guilt" - the "am I developing bad habits" mentality. If I am going to maintain my currant weight I must eat like this, I must snack unless my stomach is going to stretch all of a sudden and I'll be able to eat more. I don't anticipate that happening. I HOPE it doesn't. I'm still never hungry....I feel empty some times, but never hungry. I do feel dizzy once in a while, is that a drop in blood sugar? I felt it this morning before I ate Breakfast, it didn't last long, but it happens once in a while. Some times I can be sitting and it happens. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Okay, I am basically "at goal" since goal was 155 for me (5' 8") but will probably continue to lose to around 140 or so (whatever my body wants to do). Was sleeved in June 2010 and have lost 93 lbs. Saw my Dr for 6 mo visit end of December and he TOLD me to "snack more"! Ha! Now THAT was eye opening!

We were discussing blood sugar drops (mine seems to be going low at times). Anybody else bothered with this? Also, someone mentioned getting dizzy and light headed. Most ANYTIME I get up suddenly or get up from bed I have to stand perfectly still for a couple of seconds to make sure I have my balance/bearings or I will get totally light headed.

Just had blood work and everything perfect but a litlte low on Vitamin D so all in al looks good. As to maintenance, I dont envision any problems right now. Since I can't eat much at a setting (maybe 3-4 bites of a sandwich or 1/2 small chilli or small bowl of soup) and even if snacking, can't each much at a time so I think it is just choices, choices, choices!

And I agree with all of you - sometimes you just need to go ahead and have a bite or two and not deny yourself the "pleasure" knowing that it can't be a habit.

Glad to have a "community" of people to share with! Sick 'em, sleevers!

I wonder, I thought the dizziness was a drop in blood pressure, but guess it could be either. It definitely happened to me more when I did not snack. Now that my caloric intake is up, I don't usually feel dizzy. I had that for the first few months after surgery, and you still haven't been out of surgery all that long even though you lost a huge amount of weight. I was told if it is blood pressure that you might increase your salt to pump up the pressure a bit. You can probably test either to see which it is for you - or up your calories and see if it goes away.

My blood pressure normal, I'd say it happens when I haven't eaten anything in a while. I'll pay attention from now on.

pumpkin you should look into buying some Calcium citrate online. I can't take those petites either. Plus they don't have all that much Calcium in them.

I have Bariatric Advantage chocolate chews on auto ship. they are 9.99. They are so good. I also take a liquid that I get at costco. I think chewables and liquids are better ever since my surgeon told me when he does colonoscopys he finds whole tablets undigested in people's colons.

I am still on my way back down to goal. I went a little crazy during the holidays and now I am taking back off what I gained. Maintenance is tricky. For awhile I was able to eat anything I wanted and didn't gain. I took advantage of that, and it's not as easy to lose now, as it was fresh out from surgery.

I'm back to having a soda every other day because gingerale has been able to calm my stomach somewhat so I have a gingerale here and there.

I'm dealing with other issues right now, and will have my labs back tomorrow. Check out my post about my gallbladder from a couple of days ago, I went into more details there.