Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official Ongoing Gastric Sleeve Maintenance Thread

TexasT - Seeing this makes me feel better. You are eating basically like I am, and I am WORKING on feeling like a 'normal thin' person....not worrying about what I eat. I weigh daily and every night as well. It's like a game I play. I guess what I'll weigh in the morning by what I weigh at night. I vary between seven and nine lbs below goal and am finding it easy to maintain. I don't eat fried foods, although I'll eat a few fries off someone elses plate but that is rare and I ate five pieces of fried okra from my husband's plate when we were at a Cracker Barrel last weekend. We didn't really eat friend food before I had surgery though. I AM aware of everything I eat and it seems like I am 'snacking' off and on all day just to get my calories in to maintain, if I slow down, I start to lose again...and then I have days like yesterday when I have the munchies.....do NORMAL people do this? People who have never had a weight problem??!!! I didn't wake up this morning and weigh more and of course I can't eat much at all, I just had the munchies. I don't eat chips, but we don't keep them in the house. My new love is Graham Crackers with a little Peanut Butter. I just want to get past WORRYING about re-gaining. I've been at goal and maintaining since the first week of Nov. When do we feel 'secure' - when did it happen for you? You look great, congrats!!

I'm don't know that I really ever felt "insecure" regarding my weight after the VSG. Once I started losing weight so quickly, then got used to this new body, I didn't really worry that much about gaining it back. But now that I can eat more at a sitting, I know I need to be more mindful of what I'm eating and not push it. My body has always given itself a "set point" that it's comfortable at, and it's a major challenge to change it once it gets to that point. Now my body and I are BOTH happy at the weight it's chosen - which is a first in about 23 yrs!

I'm just curious about the 'super sleeve' - you said they fold it over rather than remove it. Do you mean that none of your stomach was removed? Do you still have the hunger hormone? I'm just wondering if you feel the same restriction and same lack of hunger that I do. Very interesting....as far as the other stuff....it sure does mess with our heads, doesn't it? It does take awhile for our brains to catch up to what our surgeon did to our tummy! I am about eight lbs below goal and there is part of me that would like to go lower just because I KNOW I can! :)

I'm not sure if it is the same but I was told it would be since the folded side is cut off to the rest of my body. I have been having issues eating since I got sick two weeks ago. Before I wanted to eat when it was time to eat but now I have no want. So I'm assuming I don't have that hunger drive either since my want for food is driven by mind instead of hunger. I have been having to make myself eat cuz when I looked back at what I was eating from just eating when I felt like it; I found I was only eating 300 cals. Now drinking on the other hand I have a want for that but that is mainly Water. Since this started two weeks ago I have gone from 136 to 132..

My new thing is herbal tea. It seems to be a fine replacement for snacking.I am going to load up on herbal tea and green tea and up all my Protein until I am back to where I was before the 2 month long holiday.

Better on Vitamins now, except for Calcium still need to order. But I decided to change my goal to 136 intead of 128 (I'm at 148). I want to lose it before buying spring clothes, since nothing from last year fits (do NOT tell my husband this haha). So I started exercising yesterday for the first time since surgery almost a year ago. I am such a hard head. Really wanting to run now for some reason. But instead I walked 2 miles. Today I'm doing weights, tomorrow walking, etc.

I am bummed I am no longer stalling, just stuck. So I decided it is time to do something about it.

So that is why my ticker is changing, not because I lost. Just changing my goal. Maye at 5'1" 128 is too small for me. We'll see.

My husband just told me something. He said he misses me being fat. He misses my bigger legs, bc my legs are pretty small now. He misses a couple other things that were entirely too big haha. He likes that I'm more energetic and feel better about the way I look, but somehow he misses his bigger girl.

I told him I don't miss my legs or my boobs AT ALL, but at least I'll always know he loved me fat. You know how you always wonder...bc you gain weight after you met him...that was me. I lost weight before I met him and gained weight after I met him. Even his 'ex' told me one time she couldn't believe he was with a fat girl, bc she thought he prefered skinny women. He does give that impression, so even I am confused. I thought so too, now I'm wondering..."Heh, now that I lost the weight are you going to leave me for a fat girl?". hahaha

I know sometimes he was feeling like I was never going to lose any of the weight I gained. And I wasn't, honestly. I'm grateful. We're both glad I don't snore anymore.

It was a funny conversation, and I could take it like he doesn't like me now. But I'm like heh, if you liked me then you must like me now... But it was nice he said that. Truth is, I prefer me better smaller. I was smaller when I was younger and I missed it so much. I loved being normal weight and I HATED being fat. Nothing nice about it except sometimes it was nice to be ignored without men making asses out of themselves when you walk by.

Anyway, just a funny conversation I had today.

My husband just told me something. He said he misses me being fat. He misses my bigger legs, bc my legs are pretty small now. He misses a couple other things that were entirely too big haha. He likes that I'm more energetic and feel better about the way I look, but somehow he misses his bigger girl.

I told him I don't miss my legs or my boobs AT ALL, but at least I'll always know he loved me fat. You know how you always wonder...bc you gain weight after you met him...that was me. I lost weight before I met him and gained weight after I met him. Even his 'ex' told me one time she couldn't believe he was with a fat girl, bc she thought he prefered skinny women. He does give that impression, so even I am confused. I thought so too, now I'm wondering..."Heh, now that I lost the weight are you going to leave me for a fat girl?". hahaha

I know sometimes he was feeling like I was never going to lose any of the weight I gained. And I wasn't, honestly. I'm grateful. We're both glad I don't snore anymore.

It was a funny conversation, and I could take it like he doesn't like me now. But I'm like heh, if you liked me then you must like me now... But it was nice he said that. Truth is, I prefer me better smaller. I was smaller when I was younger and I missed it so much. I loved being normal weight and I HATED being fat. Nothing nice about it except sometimes it was nice to be ignored without men making asses out of themselves when you walk by.

Anyway, just a funny conversation I had today.

I tell everyone that if my husband were to ever be stupid enough to troll around on me, it'd be with a fat chick. He's always dated "thick" girls. I was just the super-sized version of his preference. He met, fell in love, and married me at my heaviest. Not one comment was ever made about my weight until I got skinny. He's admitted he misses my chubbiness. He loves that I feel better, that I am healthier, but he definitely misses the extra cushion. He also said "I fell in love with that 'you' and you've gone off and changed the image I fell in love with." I simply told him, you met me as a redhead, and I'm a brunette, I've been blonde, I wear 10 different shades of lipstick, change my eyeshadow to match the seasons, I have a variety of different style of clothes, and you still love me regardless of those daily changes. So, now you just have to realize that losing weight has only change one part of me. I still have fat on me, I'm still the same woman, just a smaller version of me.

He's tried to sabotage me, he's cheered me on when the scale went up 2-3lbs, he was elated when I accidentally shrunk a tiny sweater in the dryer, and it didn't shrink much in width, but it shrunk up length-wise and it's too short for my liking (if I raise my arm, my muffin top does not need to make an appearance). He would love for me to be around 160-175lbs again, and we all know that AIN'T happening. No way, no how.

It's a weird place to be with my husband. It's changed our dynamic, and our relationship has grown because of these changes. We've worked through insecurities on both sides. I need a lot more reassurance now than I did back then, he needs more reassurance because he hears "man, your wife has a bangin' little body" from guys he works with. Obviously, they didn't even notice me at 270lbs. So, it's a weird place to be, but we communicate through most of it. Other times, when he's being insecure, I just tell him to stop hiking his leg on my thigh, and to relax. I'm not going to leave him just because I"m skinny.

I forgot to update on my Nutrition visit last week. No real "ah ha" moments, but it was good to hear that she believed I had a good plan & was incorporating "normal" items in my food like wine, fruit, and veggies.

Basically, my plan is:

• Aim for 60 grams of Protein (at my current weight, I do not need the 75-100 that I was aiming for on weightloss)
  • Keep drinking 64+ ounces of liquid daily
  • Eat Protein first! (She said to think of it like a sink stopper - don't have to put as much protein in, but put it in first to "stop up the sink" so the food stays in longer)
  • Incorporate more fruits and vegetables in my daily foods
  • Target between 1500-2000 calories a day depending on activity level. (Doesn't want me to be too diligent in tracking every bite unless I have a gain.)

A few things to change:

• Stop thinking of foods as good vs bad. Instead think of them as “good for me” or “tastes good, but not very nutritious”.
  • Enjoy chocolate (and really all foods) to it's fullest. If I indulge, keep it on my tongue longer. Apparently the sides of the tongue have better receptors for chocolate and fats and will help with my saiety when I am craving chocolate (read: REESE CUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Wanted me to think about not weighing daily, but agreed that it was a good accountability measurement for me. I will allow myself to bounce up to 129, but anything more than that, it's back to basics for a few days.
  • Not drinking with meals - this has been one that I have been bad about since day 1. In fact, I've been very uncompliant. Haven't totally given up drinking/eating, but only allowing myself sips in the past week.
  • Limiting sodas - I've been drinking Pepsi Max since April 25th. I admit, I've been using it for a filler for food (I use it for a snack when head hunger hits & it seems to help, does not cause me to crave sweets) and just because I love the taste. Fortunately, it does not seem to have affected my restriction. HOWEVER - do not use my experience for a go-ahead for you. I've been lucky. She knew I wasn't going to totally give it up, so we agreed on limiting it. This is a work in progress!

That is kind of it in a nutshell. I really enjoyed our visit & couldn't believe I had been there & talking with her for almost 2 hours! Since I've been a professional dieter my whole life, I know how to eat properly & she said my knowledge showed that. She thought I had good instincts on what my body needed. We agreed that I really didn't need a lot of formal counseling. If I feel I need it, I will go back in 3 months for a "check-in"; otherwise it may be 6 months or never.

Ya - I guess our husbands could have a good chat, huh? But I see how he looks at me now, and I see how protective he is of me now. It was nice to say he misses me fat, but honestly, he is lying. Truth is he just loves me any whicha way.

And I feel the same.

I had a funny NSV at work. We have this young guy at work, maybe 20 years old. Kinda mental, cross-eyed. I'm serious, no joking. But he told my friend's husband that if he has a wife my age some day he hopes she looks as good as I do. Kinda a funny sorta-compliment from a very cross-eyed guy. But still, it was nice, right?

Hey Daisy, Wow, timing with your birthday and holidays; you've got a tough end-of-the-year to deal with! I think you'll do fine in restaurants; there are so many choices and it's so easy to make good ones, or, as in my previous post, turn a not-so-good one like a burger into one that works for us.

I get the good day/bad day stuff, believe me and my trouble time is at night; when my husband likes to munch on crackers and nuts and stuff. Even nuts can be bad if overdone as we well know. I NEVER used to eat at night, not even at my fattest. UGH!

If the carbs are bothering you still so much; maybe try that pouch test thing or just no carbs for several days? Now that the holidays are pretty much over it might make sense.

Here's a link to the True North thingies; I find much better prices at the wholesale clubs - we have a BJ's here. There are two mixed nut kinds; one with cashews and one without. I can't taste much of a difference so I get the one's without to shave off a carb or two and they are cheaper. www.truenorthsnacks.com I just looked at their home page and ooo! they have other varieties too! Will have to look for them!

When we received carbs for xmas (tons) we gave them away before they even made it home. Not easy but had to do it. Fortunately we live and work at a Boy Scout camp so getting rid of this stuff is easy and much appreciated!

You know, about the five pounds, maybe that is where your body wants to be? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? You haven't gained any more through the holiday/birthday plight, right? How about your gym time? Are you mostly pumping Iron or do you have a good amount of cardio in there? Maybe a few more minutes of cardio if you think you need to drop it back down.

My heart truly bleeds for your sleeved nurse friend. I wish we could help her, I really do. That is so sad, I wonder what's really going on with her?

Take good care and let me know if I can do anything else to help.

C

I do believe it's 2 days of liquids, 2 days of mushies then 2 days of solid Protein.

You can put it in google and find it. google 5 day pouch test. It's supposed to get rid of carb cravings.

Just going to jump in here, my Doc would like me to lose 10 more lbs but all my family say "no more" so one minute I'm ok with 180 and the next I start thinking I need to try harder to get a few more lbs off. It doesen't really matter though... because the weight loss stopped in November and I am holding steady following the same diet that I was losing on. I do graze more during the day but the choices are nuts and Pork rinds. I walk a mile daily and do ab work to make myself feel better about the grazing.I'm 5'8 and 180 in a size 10 so I look thin even though 180 sounds so high. I think mybe I should lose 5 lbs more. All labs are good. The only honest complaint I have is I'm cold all the time, cannot wait for summer. Carla

I changed my ticker. I am really having trouble losing the weight I gained over the holidays. I am exercising and eating right and the scale is not budging.

I hired a personal trainer and will start with her tomorrow. maybe I can learn something new for my work out sessions that will get things going again.

I changed my ticker. I am really having trouble losing the weight I gained over the holidays. I am exercising and eating right and the scale is not budging.

I hired a personal trainer and will start with her tomorrow. maybe I can learn something new for my work out sessions that will get things going again.

Good luck with the trainer. Please share anything you learn! (Of course, for it to help me, I would have to actually do some exercise!!!)

Be glad to share what she says.

I can't remember what you said your nutritionist said about maintenance when you met her. Did you learn anything?