Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official Ongoing Gastric Sleeve Maintenance Thread

Is it just me or do others get secretly excited when they see the scale move down even though we are supposed to be maintaining???

Saturday and today, the scale read 123.6. As you can see from below, I'm supposed to be maintaining between 125-128. I promised my hubby no lower than 125. I can honestly say I didn't try to lose, but I admit, I was happy when I saw it go down. Hmmm ... not sure what to think about that.

I am sure it will bounce around within a few lbs. depending on what is going on in your life. You know, social engagements, eating out, days where you feel like snacking.....

My problem was I should have got a handle on it before it went up past 5.

So for three weeks I was kinda worried cuz I wasn't hungry at all and when I did eat I got sick. In these two weeks I lost 10 lbs (wouldn't care before but I'm at goal) and I honestly wasn't sure what was going on. Now I'm starting to think it was just stress of going for a visit to MO and seeing my ex that dumped me after two years of dating cuz I couldn't lose the weight. This week and half I got my hunger back and I gained 9 whole F-in lbs (I am getting ready to start also). Im pretty sure my body is scared i was never going to feed it again. II never would have set my goal weight to the low 120's but it was kinda nice. What the heck is wrong with me?!?! Will I ever find a happy weight? I can't make up my mind. So I'm just going to be honest with you guys. My new goal is to be 120 by summer. I'm 5'3" so it's not under wieght. Sometimes though I worry I've done gone n lost my mind lol I <3 you guys Thanx for always letting me vent.

Yes!!! I feel the same way. Even though I am not trying to lose weight and even though I am seriously working on maintaining.....I'm comfortable between 141 and 143; when I dropped to 140, I adjusted my 'comfort' weight to 140 - 143. This past week I actually dropped to 139 - even though it was freaking my husband out, I was like you, secretly excited!! ( He has had this fear from the beginning of "How are you going to stop?" ) I have managed to bring it back up to 141.5 as of this morning.

I pretty much eat anything I want now days, even though I can only eat small portions. My daughter baked made-from-scratch cupcakes this weekend and even though I couldn't eat an entire one at one time, I ate a little over half 2x's. I am still working at getting past the "is this bad???" feeling - I KNOW it's not, but you know, all the psycological stuff we have to work through, after years of dieting - it takes a while to leave that behind! I'm glad to know I am NOT the only one who 'delights' in this.....but I really do not want to lose more! :)

Is it just me or do others get secretly excited when they see the scale move down even though we are supposed to be maintaining???

Saturday and today, the scale read 123.6. As you can see from below, I'm supposed to be maintaining between 125-128. I promised my hubby no lower than 125. I can honestly say I didn't try to lose, but I admit, I was happy when I saw it go down. Hmmm ... not sure what to think about that.

I have to be honest I'm so jealous!! Don't get me wrong I love my sleeve but I know that I will NEVER struggle trying to not lose too much weight, I really want to get to goal or near goal to feel good about myself and prove to myself that I can do it but i'm really comfortable at the weight I am now a few more pounds and I'll fit comfortably in my size 12UK (size 10 US) jeans, now they're still a bit tight round the waist.:D

I changed my ticker. I am really having trouble losing the weight I gained over the holidays. I am exercising and eating right and the scale is not budging.

I hired a personal trainer and will start with her tomorrow. maybe I can learn something new for my work out sessions that will get things going again.

Hi Daisy! I know I'm nowhere near goal, so I probably shouldn't post here. Anyway I just wanted to tell you that I know working out with a personal trainer will get you back to where you're more comfortable *for sure*. Good for you on taking that step! I think that is the most important thing when trying to maintain. Realizing when you've hit your personal roof and doing something - ANYTHING - you need to do to get back in check.

Props to you!! Also, you have been the one person who finally convinced me to once and for all get this done, so THANK YOU!! I have total faith in you. :)

Chilo - I know we're all different and it scares me to think I will wake up and tomorrow, the 'I am starving' hunger will be back and I'll have gained 10 lbs over night. The irrational thinking drives me nuts some times....and I know it makes my husband think Dr. D took out half my brain as well as 85% of my tummy! :) I feel very fortunate, but I do worry that it's fleeting. I have no idea if it will last and I don't know how long , if ever before I'll relax and just enjoy it. When will I feel secure.

I am sure you'll reach your goal, you've done awesome and I am certain you must feel good and be proud of yourself. Doesn't it feel wonderful to wear a normal size and not shop in the women's dept??!! I still glance over there when I pass by and remember what it was like and how I shopped because I HAD to have something and how it was NEVER fun. You'll be in your size 12 (10 US) comfortably, before you know it!!

I have to be honest I'm so jealous!! Don't get me wrong I love my sleeve but I know that I will NEVER struggle trying to not lose too much weight, I really want to get to goal or near goal to feel good about myself and prove to myself that I can do it but i'm really comfortable at the weight I am now a few more pounds and I'll fit comfortably in my size 12UK (size 10 US) jeans, now they're still a bit tight round the waist.:D

... I know we're all different and it scares me to think I will wake up and tomorrow, the 'I am starving' hunger will be back and I'll have gained 10 lbs over night. The irrational thinking drives me nuts some times....and I know it makes my husband think Dr. D took out half my brain as well as 85% of my tummy! :) I feel very fortunate, but I do worry that it's fleeting. I have no idea if it will last and I don't know how long , if ever before I'll relax and just enjoy it. When will I feel secure.

My husband has the same worries! B)

Okay, now I AM JEALOUS. I'm 5'1" and I stopped at 148. I've weight 146 and 147 a few times. My body just settled in. I was so scared I wouldn't be able to stop losing and here I can't even get to goal.

I think it is cool though, and I'd love to weigh below goal. As long as it is not too far, bc then you have a cushion.

OMG - but Pumkin07, look at good you've done. How long have you been at your current weight? Do you think you're at a stall or is your body at a comfy weight? What if you up your Protein and Water (this is what seemed to work for me)? Are your calories still farily close to what they were when you were on a losing streak? Good luck.......you have done great, look at where you started, I know you must feel wonderful!!

Okay, now I AM JEALOUS. I'm 5'1" and I stopped at 148. I've weight 146 and 147 a few times. My body just settled in. I was so scared I wouldn't be able to stop losing and here I can't even get to goal.

I think it is cool though, and I'd love to weigh below goal. As long as it is not too far, bc then you have a cushion.

I worked out with the trainer this morning and it felt really good . I am really glad I am going to be learning some new stuff. This could end up costing me a fortune, because I'd like to keep her around permanently but for now I paid for 5 sessions and will reevaluate after that. I have a feeling I will need to pay for 5 more.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about losing too much. From everything I have read, after the 2 year mark, our bodies adjust to what we have been feeding it, and it's not as easy to maintain. I think that's where I am at, even though it won't be 2 years til april for me.

I used to be able to sneak in a goodie here and there, and not gain, but now it seems like I gain immediately if I don't stick exactly to my plan. I wish i was not able to finish a whole cupcake.

I wish I got really full on the size of portions I ate a year ago but the sleeve does stretch. I think it has stretched all that it's going to though.

I decided today to come home and rest for awhile and then go back to the gym and do some more cardio.

Oregandaisy - this is what I worry about. I purposely eat the goodies to maintain - to add the additional calories. When I lay off, I lose. Like I said, I am paranoid that it will end and I'll wake up 10 lb heavier. I ate steamed shrimp the other day, high in Protein, low, low in calories...and I didn't snack as much...I woke up the following morning at 139, my lowest weight so far. I had not dropped below 140 until then. It took the cupcakes over the weekend to bring it back up! :) It's crazy!! I can't imagine doing this forever! I've gone from skim milk (i've switched to skim 17 years ago) to 2% just to get in the additional calories. I'm really at a loss. If as you say, this will come to an end, I'll have to switch gears again.......I'll deal with that when the time comes I guess. It's nuts!

I worked out with the trainer this morning and it felt really good . I am really glad I am going to be learning some new stuff. This could end up costing me a fortune, because I'd like to keep her around permanently but for now I paid for 5 sessions and will reevaluate after that. I have a feeling I will need to pay for 5 more.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about losing too much. From everything I have read, after the 2 year mark, our bodies adjust to what we have been feeding it, and it's not as easy to maintain. I think that's where I am at, even though it won't be 2 years til april for me.

I used to be able to sneak in a goodie here and there, and not gain, but now it seems like I gain immediately if I don't stick exactly to my plan. I wish i was not able to finish a whole cupcake.

I wish I got really full on the size of portions I ate a year ago but the sleeve does stretch. I think it has stretched all that it's going to though.

I decided today to come home and rest for awhile and then go back to the gym and do some more cardio.

That's why I always say weigh every day. It's a lot easier to keep a handle on it that way. You'll be able to tell when you get to the point where you're not continuiing to lose unless you snack.

l

I'm with you 100% - I weigh every single morning and a second time at night. Night time is a just a game I play, I weigh and then guess what I'll weigh come morning! :) Some say weigh once a week or even once a month....not me! I'm glad to hear somebody else say they do it every day! My reasoning is the same as yours, if I start to gain, or if I continue to lose, I can get a handle on it!

That's why I always say weigh every day. It's a lot easier to keep a handle on it that way. You'll be able to tell when you get to the point where you're not continuiing to lose unless you snack.

l

I am the same way! My daughter laughs at me because it's hard for me to stay off the scale before bed. I like to weigh myself before bed so I have an idea of what I will find when I get up in the morning.

I go to a support group at the Bariatric center I went to when I got my lap band. It's the nurse coordinator who tells everyone to weigh daily. when you are in the losing stage, if people go on a plateau, then it's not a good idea to weigh twice a day.