Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you regret surgery and miss eating bigger meals?

I am supposed to have my surgery later this month. My husband is totally opposed. He thinks I will struggle to live with the changes I will need to make to my lifestyle. He also questions what the long term effects of the surgery may be. I wonder if people who have been post op for more than a year hate the fact that they can no longer eat more than one piece of pizza or a Christmas turkey dinner (even if the portions are very small it would be impossible to have a taste of everything including dessert). Do you have regrets? If you had it to do over would you still do it? Is it worth the many sacrifices you have to make? I am flip flopping a dozen times a day - should I or should I not have the surgery!! I have about 50 lbs to lose. Would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks very much.

progress.gif

Browse the threads on this forum for a while and you'll see one theme: regardless of the changes, regardless of any complications, almost everyone LOVES their sleeve.

I've been reading on this forum for more than a year and while people get grouchy or down a bit if they stall out for a while (which is a normal part of the process), they always come out on the other side glowing and gushing about how much they love their sleeve.

I'm only eight weeks out, but I can tell you that there are changes you have to learn to live with, but I think they're all GOOD changes.

I cannot sit down and eat an entire king size Snickers followed by half a pint of ice cream followed by a few handfuls of chips when I'm expecting my period. And boy, I used to. Like, every day for the entire week before my cycle.

I cannot sit down in my favorite German restaurant and eat several brotchen, followed by a huge Jagerschnitzel, spaetzle and a huge helping of rotkohl. Oh, and who could forget the hazelnut cake and coffee when that was done?

I cannot eat a dozen chicken wings and half a pizza like I used to, either.

Do I miss being able to eat large quantities? Not in the way you'd think. Overindulging like I used to do in the past made me fat and unhappy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that overstuffed, rebellious feeling that overinduling gave me.

But these days, I'd just like to be able to fit in a full half cup of eggbeaters. Not because I want to eat more, because with the exception of PMS, the desire to eat is GONE. But mainly because I'd just like to be able to get in my calories and Protein for the day, without feeling like all I do is eat.

Yeah...I'm complaining because I feel like I'm eating all the time.

Your life will change post op. You will not eat the way you used to eat. Yes, you might feel a few parting pangs when you realize it's simply not possible.

But I think your happiness at being in control of your food demons, the ability to control your portions without feeling deprived and the resulting weight loss will FAR outweigh any disappointment you might feel because you can't eat until you're bloated.

I can have one slice of pizza made on a super thin crust and it's completely satisfying. Actually...it's not. It was a bit of a letdown. I took the first bite and actually asked my husband, "You like this pizza?" because all I could taste was processed cheese and grease. I can't belive I used to eat half a pizza. Foods do not taste the same to me, and I far prefer fresh foods over processed ones these days.

You don't have as much weight to lose as some folks, but there are lightweights on this board. I'd check with them before you opt to have surgery, so that you can draw on their experiences as well.

Sorry to ramble on. Good luck to you no matter what you decide.

~Cheri

That was a wonderful post CLK.

I just wanted to add that I love my food just as much as I ever did. As for quantity its awesomely relative, Eating a slice of pizza now is sort of equivalent to eating a whole pizza then, same amount of time taken, same taste and same fullness. I have no problem stuffing my face with pizza occasionally.

I'm 15 months out, and I'll be brutally honest with you. Pre-op, I was a major volume eater. I loved, loved, loved that totally stuffed "thanksgiving day" full feeling. It was comforting, and I would do it to myself almost every night and then go to bed stuffed, fat, happy and full.

I wouldn't eat Breakfast, ate junk for lunch, and then would gorge myself at dinner. It was nothing for me to put away a footlong meatball sub, bag of chips and 3-6 Cookies plus a couple of sodas. Today, I can only eat 3 meatballs, and a few chips, and I absolutely love it. I have never been able to feel satisfied. I've never been in control of food. Today, my relationship with food is completely different. I did have one fleeting moment of buyer's remorse last Thanksgiving. We were visiting my in-laws, and I was only about 5.5 months out. I ate my tiny portions of everything offered. I sat there and watched my family stuff themselves. I excused myself from the table, and went outside, kicking rocks, telling myself how stupid I was for doing this to myself. My husband came out to check on me, and he said 'you know you can have more later'. But, that wasn't the point, I wanted it all right then and there. I went back inside 20-30 minutes, and saw everyone in their food induced comas, stretchy pants, and I felt amazing and ready to go do something. They looked miserable, they were so tired, and here I was ready to go climb the mountains in WV. I was so elated that I felt so great, and it really hit me that I didn't really miss the huge portions.

Life with the sleeve is absolutely amazing. I literally eat anything and everything I want. I eat dessert, I eat a bit of everything that I prepare, and I'm extremely satisfied. I can eat more today than I could at 2-4 months post op, but my portions are still small. I'm never hungry, and I'm in control. I eat 2-4 times a week with my girlfriends, I have a cocktail at 2 of those lunches, I share a dessert with one of my friends, and I'm not missing anything. I just eat to live instead of live to eat.

I have zero regrets, and would do it all over again to be living this life I have right now. It is possible to have a little bit of everything that is offered including CAKE ! ! ! It's all about moderation, and balancing out calories, and your nutritional needs. There's days when all I want is veggies, and you know what, I eat veggies. Do I miss Protein on those days? Yep, but I make up for it, and I eat a balanced, healthy, and nutrient dense diet. I still eat junk food, but instead of an entire bag of Funyuns, I can have 5-8 chips, and put the bag away. I can eat a couple of Cookies instead of the entire package. I can enjoy a small slice of white chocolate raspberry cheesecake instead of the half the pie. It's liberating, it's amazing to walk away from the table. The only thing I feel like I sacrificed was an unhealthy relationship with food. For the first time, I'm behind the steering wheel, and food is just idly sitting in the passenger seat.

Best wishes in your research, and do some soul searching. Go in mentally prepared, and weigh the pros and cons of surgery vs. the pros and cons of staying fat and dieting for the rest of your life. I had zero issues losing weight. It was the keeping it off that I struggled with the most. With the sleeve, my hunger is gone, and I know in my heart of hearts that I'm be able to maintain my current weight. It isn't always easy to make the best choice, but the sleeve sure as heck makes it a lot easier.

I think you have to be prepared for the smaller portions and the break up of your food relationship. You should try to do this before the surgery, because of course it is too late once it is done. I think most of us (im only a month out) but those that are further out, successful and satisfied have made peace with it and have come to appreciate the healthier relationship and of course the thinner body is the absolute bonus.

It is a big change and it is significant, just weigh the pros and cons and I think the smaller portions will always win !

I am 16 months post op and I do not regret this and never have for one second. I am totally satisfied with my one piece of pizza. I feel full and the same as I would feel if I ate half a pizza.< /strong>

It is so worth it to be thin and wear cute clothes. I can eat anything I want. I can eat all the junk food I want, if that's what I choose to do.

Every once in awhile, I do regret that I didn't tell certain people because I do eat small portions. I didn't want to tell people though. I hate telling people that I paid

out of pocket 20,000 10 for the band and 10 more for the sleeve, just because I was not able to lose weight on my own.

Really, Honestly I have never felt deprived one single bit.

I always enjoyed a big meal. I am 5 months post-op and do not miss the big meals at all. I pretty much eat anything I want, but less of it and have never had 1 second of regret. Instead of eating a 16 ounce ribeye, I now eat a 6 oz steak and a couple of bites of veggie and am very satisfied with that. The positive changes are far better than being able to eat big meals.

i don't regret a thing, i am the happiest girl in the world, my life has changed and it has changed for the best. i look great, i feel great and i have learned how to eat small meals....i definitely don't miss the bigger meals. you are taking the right decision and you will love your surgery as well. :biggrin0:

The only thing I feel like I sacrificed was an unhealthy relationship with food. For the first time, I'm behind the steering wheel, and food is just idly sitting in the passenger seat.

This is how I feel too. Only a couple people mentioned it, but it feels wonderful to me to eat like a "lady". I just eat small, but really, more normal portions than I ate before. So eating a piece of pizza fills me, and I feel so much better about myself mentally and physically. I also have been blessed to be able to eat anything in moderation. I eat cake and just finished up some reeses pieces, in fact. The big difference is I have had the same small bag of reese pieces for about 6 months now! (do they go bad?) whereas before surgery I could have finished one off in an evening. And cake, I love it, but I only eat a piece about 1" x1" in size. I love gong to a party and taking a small plate with a little of everything and not even finishing it all. I love that I am not sitting in the corner of the room wishing I could stuff my face with all the food and constantly sneaking bites here and there so people can't really tell that I am eating like a horse. It is liberating beyond belief.

I have moments. My thing is that I don't want to eat 1/8 of a burger I want a big damn juicy burger, but it only comes in moments. I have learned to get the most bang for my buck, meaning if I am going to eat cheese I am going to eat full fat, strong flavor and feel completely satiated on my small portion. The same is true if I decide to eat something sweet, I may have 1/4 of a milkshake, but it will not be mindless, I will enjoy the hell out of it and get a kind that I adore, then I'm good.

Small moments of buyers remorse are the rule, not the exception. But the grand scheme makes those moments miniscule. This really has been the favorite part of my entire life. I can't believe how tired I had become of telling myself I was going to lose weight and knowing even in that moment that I wouldn't really be able to do it. I trust me now. It creates a good deal of peace in my life.

Wow, these are all such wonderful heartfelt replies. To add my two cents; I fill up easily and when I am full and everyone else is still eating I never want more. I was never full and satiated before the sleeve, I have zero regrets. I also absolutely agree with Anna's last three sentences, as much as I wanted to lose weight I knew even as I planned it that it was not going to happen. Such a sad, sad way to live!

I have moments. My thing is that I don't want to eat 1/8 of a burger I want a big damn juicy burger, but it only comes in moments. I have learned to get the most bang for my buck, meaning if I am going to eat cheese I am going to eat full fat, strong flavor and feel completely satiated on my small portion. The same is true if I decide to eat something sweet, I may have 1/4 of a milkshake, but it will not be mindless, I will enjoy the hell out of it and get a kind that I adore, then I'm good.

Small moments of buyers remorse are the rule, not the exception. But the grand scheme makes those moments miniscule. This really has been the favorite part of my entire life. I can't believe how tired I had become of telling myself I was going to lose weight and knowing even in that moment that I wouldn't really be able to do it. I trust me now. It creates a good deal of peace in my life.

Awesome post Anna ... this is the reality of our life. I too insist on enjoying what I eat. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. Life is too short to fill up on the "crap". I eat like a gourmet now - and the portions are what you get at a 4/5 Star Restuarant (and pay mega $ for :))

Today I had a treat. MacDonald's Breakfast, I was a little dishartend and disappointed because it was a long way to drive for 3 bytes of a egg muffin.

Today at the Gym I did 20 Burpees in 30 seconds, It felt Awesom. Oh and I have a date Sat night.:D

Great posts guys! Thanks. This is what I hope for myself after the surgery.