Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat

Hello Everyone!

I haven't really experienced any port pain, the only pain I have is in the left side incision that Cinderella was talking about. I went in for my 4 week check up on Monday (4 days early), and the nurse said to expect some random shooting pains if you move in an awkward position or during a sudden movement, as long as the pain isn't lingering. I got released from the surgeon on Monday to exercise with the exercise physiologist, so that should start next week. I've been swimming in the evenings at home and I've really enjoyed that. I'm still having back problems(seeing a chiropractor) and my knees are creeking some (mother (57 years old)had double knee replacements in the last year due to deterioration by arthritis, and I've been unfortunate enough to inherit that little issue). I hope that I can work with the physiologist to design some low-impact workouts. The swimming is good on my knees, but they still creek and pop when I get out of the Water. I can tell that the weight loss has already made a difference and I hope my knees will be in pretty good shape with more weight loss!

3loves: Have you started solid foods yet? I start them on Monday! Never thought that I would say that I'm sick of Soups and thinned mashed potatoes, but I am!

Deann - I will pray for the young girls, that is soo terrible. We had a kind of similar situation in my family.. My cousin worked at a daycare and babysat these two lovely girls that she had met there. She became their full-time nanny in the summers, and they spent a lot of time with our family. Long story short - their parents were having problems, and the dad shot and killed the mom and killed himself after sending the girls to the neighbor's house. The girls were about 5 and 9 at the time. They were fortunate enough to have loving grandparents and aunts to take care of them and raise them. They are now beautiful young women, the oldest is in school to be an orthodontist and the youngest will be graduating high school in a couple of years. I'm proud to say that we are still close to them and that they are doing great! No matter what they always had each other, and I think that made going through everything easier.

Life won't always be easy for your two young friends but with the support of the folks that love and care for them,they will learn to laugh again and be happy. I'm sure they will cherish your support and care! I hope that everything works out for them and I will definitely add them to my prayer list!

Good luck everyone! Keep up the good work!

BTW: HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY DREWSLOU!

Hello Maysters! I haven't had a chance to check in because I was on dayshifts this week. Darn work! I wish they would let me stay home and just send me a paycheck.:lol:

My biggest challenge right now is trying not to eat too fast. When I'm at work, I'm so busy, especially on days, that I find myself eating too fast then the horrible pain hits. My dispatcher yells at me (I tend to eat lunch up in her office) and tells me to slow down! The worse day was Tuesday. I was pissed, I was frazzled, I was being ran into the ground. So when I sat down to eat, I was talking and chopping at my hamburger patty, just shoving it into my mouth. And when the first bite hit.......:omg: :omg: :omg: !!!!!!

Now when I go eat lunch, she reminds me before the food is even out of the microwave to eat slow and calm down. She's my savior!:clap2:I think I scared her when I had my "food attack". I made it thru the next two day without feeling like I was having a heart attack.

Someone mentioned port pain. I'm almost 7 weeks out and I still get port pain sometimes. Mainly when I'm working because I ride around in a pickup all day on really rough roads. I think the bumps make my stomach muscles clench and by the end of some days, my port site is very sore.

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a great weekend!

Hi,

I had my first food attack last night. I was eating grits! I guess I ate too fast and the pain hit. I slimed for at least 3 hours off and on and could not even drink. This morning is better but I am still sore. I have been eating basically anything, bread, rice, chicken with no problem as long as I chew it to death. I am going to be drinking broth today as I feel too restricted.

Good news I lost a few more lbs!

dr. sergio verboonen

Tijuana

279.4/258

Hey now i know we are only MAYBANDSTERS but...here is a pic of me may 1st and one of me yesterday!!! Can you see the difference??? I CAN!! I LOVE MY BAND!!!

62206facebeforeandafter.jpg

This is VERY motivating! LEts see yalls now!!!:clap2:

:nervous I need to suggestions for my first 'real foods'. Kinda scared about this and also would like some yummy suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!

I was banded May 26th and am having my first fill a week from Saturday (July 1st.) I can't wait. I have very little restriction. I can eat less (I get shoulder pain when I feel full and sometimes hiccup) and stay full MUCH longer, but I can eat ANYTHING and plenty of it. I originally went down 20lbs. I gained 4.5 back one or two days after starting back solids and have stayed steady since. My running total so far is about 15 lbs.

I am still having minor port pain on occasion. It finally is "untender" enough for me to press down and feel where it is. I couldn't do that before. If I get really full, It sometimes hurts a little. If I move those muscles a lot, it will hurt a bit too.

I am feeling pretty back to normal at this point. I burp a lot and have some major "gas" coming out the other end. But, other than that, I feel fine. No PB's (although I did have a rough patch with a sandwhich yesterday. No slime, just a small golfball.)

Christy- I can totally tell a difference!! WTG!!!!

Hey Ladies,

I'm a little bit frustrated. I had my surgery on May 17th, over five weeks ago. I lost most of my weight in the first two weeks, and I've been mostly plateaued since then. Maybe losing .5 pounds per week now. I still have NO fill. My doctor is making me wait TWO MONTHS after surgery until I get a fill. ::eek::

I feel like I have to wait longer than everyone else until I get a fill. It sucks. Until then, I feel like I'm able to eat much more than I was expecting. At this point, my eating is limited by sheer willpower. I could eat a lot right now if I let myself.

I also need to start exercising more, too. Maybe that will help speed up the process. But until I get my fill, it's like I have no band at all right now...

Just venting. Thanks for listening/reading!

I have a stupid question: what is sliming? I don't think I've experienced this yet but I've heard people mention it. Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Hey Angela

I feel your frustration, I too have almost plateaued. I was banded on the 18th of May and lost 13lbs in the first 2 weeks. Boy was I excited, then I went in for my first fill on the 19th of June and thought I'd finally have some restrictions, but I don't! UGH!!! I went to work after having my fill and ate just a 1/2 c of macaroni salad because it was available and I had just 20 min to eat it. Then for supper, I thought I'd at least have something telling me I was full. I ended up eating 2 pieces of pizza minus the crust. I didn't want to fill up on the bread so I ate the best part of the first one and never felt "full". So I started on the second one and got to the crust before I even felt "satisfied". So I too am doing everything on self control. I have never pb'd or had any slime as many out there have, not that I'm wanting to either.

I also found out when I got my fill that my band will hold 12cc. My fill was 4cc. I go back on the 3rd for another fill. I know they want to do the fills gradually but I feel like I have the zeal for doing this now and that I'm wasting time, I don't want to get discouraged.

I have been faithful about walking at least 30 minutes every day for over 3 weeks. So in a sense I know I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing but it is hard to gauge success when it's measured by pounds and I'm not seeing the scale go down. I know I'll just have to hang in there and be patient, everyone who has gone before me tells me that the restrictions will come soon enough. Sorry this is so long but it does feel good to vent a bit.

Just checking in with you guys. I was banded May 23rd (my 1st mo anniversary was yesterday and I'm down 15 lbs)

I was scheduled for my first fill June 19th...then I postponed it to July because of my pericarditis problem....but when I started feeling better....I asked for my June 19th appointment back....and YES, I got it....and was filled with my first fill on this past Tuesday....only 1.4cc. Doc said the .4 will be in the tube...and only 1cc will be in the band.

WOW...I don't feel very restricted...but....the amazing thing is I have a total loss of appetite. I eat much smaller amounts and I really do feel satisfied! Prior to the fill, I was eating anything....and sometimes probably more than I should have.

Hope everyone is enjoying their band. If feel so blessed to have this exciting chance of finally really breaking my wt problem for good.

smiles and hugs to all.....diane : )

i experienced my first pb last night while eating supper. i didn't think i had eaten that much but guess it was one bite too many. i am so appreciative of this support group because of the descriptions people offer of things that happen. i knew as soon as i swallowed the bite what it was. i felt the "golf ball" caught in my chest. the only place for it to go was out. thank goodness it was only the last bite that came up and after that, i felt like a million bucks. hard lesson learned!

i had my first fill on tuesday, the 20th, and i can fill major restriction. has anyone else been able tell a significant difference after just one fill? aside from the pb last night, i've been able to keep everything down. i've lost 4 lbs. since tuesday so i definitely can tell i'm restricted.

i've got to go work on my profile here so i can put all of the cutsie little tickers on like all of you. thanks, everyone, for their continuous supportive postings. you guys have made this so much easier!

slwc

Go to www.tickerfactory.com to make yourself a tracker!

So sorry about your bp'ing...glad to see you here with us! I assume you are recently banded, as you just got your first fill. I was filled one day prior to you and I don't feel very much restriction...but I am eating less and not feeling hungry at all.....so it is working just the way I was hoping!

smiles....diane : )

diane,

yes i was recently banded on the 9th of may. i've been very pleased so far. i began getting frustrated about 3 - 4 weeks after surgery because that is when i began eating mushies and the weight was not coming off as easy. then again, i was not walking or drinking my Water like i should. got back on track again right before my first fill and at 6.5 weeks post op, i've lost 28 pounds. things picked up again after my fill the other day.

i've experienced very little pain and thank God i never experienced any of the shoulder pain from the surgery that i've read so much about. i understand that is near unbearable.

let me try out my ticker and info.

have a great weekend!

shonda

Banded May 9, 2006

Medical Center East - Birmingham, AL

weightloss.png