Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat

Hi everyone,

I finally found this thread! I was quickly reading over the posts and everyone seems to be doing well. i would agree quinine for the leg cramps but I would suggest some blood work to determine the deficiency. Your doctor could then detemine what supplement to take. Good luck!

For me, I am doing just fine. I have lost lost 32 lbs since beginning the pre-op diet and I am in a mushy food stage right now progressing to solid foods this week. I am exercising but I am going to get to my bike this week and head out for some fresh air and pretty scenery!

Everyone, keep up the good work! Take care.

:happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2: :happybday2:

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear murphles

Happy birthday tooooo youuuuuuu!

AND MANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday: :happybday:

I have restless leg also... I wonder if that goes along with being overweight?? Does anyone know? I take Requip also, it is wonderful!!!

I pushed myself to solid meat too soon. I had Soup at work one night and I was still hungry when I got home. That afternoon I had gotten a roasted chicken from Kroger and I was just going to eat the wings. Well, the poor little thing was small and the wings got over done. I never should have eaten the things. By the time I was almost through with the 2nd one I started to hurt. It felt like I would feel so much better if I could burp but ,of course, I couldn't get a burg up either! I have heard walking was the best thing to do so out the door I went. I got my exercise in that night...I walked and slimed, just like you hear everyone talk about. It was something like when dog starts to throw up and bubbly slime comes out. I did that a few times with more each time. Then I finally got some of the chicken out and then later the rest of it out. I felt so much better then!! Hope I learned my lesson too, eat s-l-o-w-l-y and chew, chew, chew. Old habits are soooo hard to break. I never realized how much I gulped my food down until I started trying to chew more slowly before I got the band in. That is what I tried that night with the chicken wings. The rest of the meat I have put in with soup in very small pieces. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

Hi everyone, I am totally new at all this, so if I am interrupting anyone's conversation - I am so sorry. Will get the hang of it soon hopefully. I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you that I was banded 05/23 in Los Angeles and had outpatient surgery (in at 11am, out by 3pm). So far so great. I am down 20 lbs and I feel FANTASTIC. I was very fortunate and had only a bit of discomfort the day after the surgery. I am eating mushy fish and avocado for the most part, the rest is just Water and veggies mushed up. Hope all of you are doing GREAT!

Ev22

:welcomeB: , Ev22!! we hope you enjoy the ride! There are some tremendous, tenatious, terrific personalities on this board...I think you'll like them as much as I.

Looks like you're off to a great start!! Whoopee!!! It's gonna be a wild ride!

:clap2: and welcome EV22......I too was banded on May 23rd! Glad to see you found us here.....it's a great bunch....please pop in often and share your success!

big hugs and smiles...diane : )

I pushed myself to solid meat too soon. I had Soup at work one night and I was still hungry when I got home. That afternoon I had gotten a roasted chicken from Kroger and I was just going to eat the wings. Well, the poor little thing was small and the wings got over done. I never should have eaten the things. By the time I was almost through with the 2nd one I started to hurt. It felt like I would feel so much better if I could burp but ,of course, I couldn't get a burg up either! I have heard walking was the best thing to do so out the door I went. I got my exercise in that night...I walked and slimed, just like you hear everyone talk about. It was something like when dog starts to throw up and bubbly slime comes out. I did that a few times with more each time. Then I finally got some of the chicken out and then later the rest of it out. I felt so much better then!! Hope I learned my lesson too, eat s-l-o-w-l-y and chew, chew, chew. Old habits are soooo hard to break. I never realized how much I gulped my food down until I started trying to chew more slowly before I got the band in. That is what I tried that night with the chicken wings. The rest of the meat I have put in with soup in very small pieces. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

Oh, I know that one! Right after my first fill on Thursday, I made me some soup but I was still hungry right after. My DH had made some chicken, so I thought, "oh, a small bite of chicken won't hurt!"

Oh, was I wrong.......My DH kept telling me, don't do it! But I did and boy did I pay for it.

I just keep telling myself, chew, chew, chew!!!! Today was a much better day -- cream of wheat for Breakfast, chicken salad for lunch (chew, chew, chew!) and a brat for dinner. I'm surprised that salad doesn't bother me at all. That's a good thing because I heard that lettuce doesn't agree with alot of people.

Hi Marci,

I did the same thing last week. I was so hungry, and ate some roasted chicken, but didn't chew it well enough and took bites that were too big.

I pb'd once, and that was enough to teach me! haha

Cathy

Hello May friends! As some of you guys have read, I have PB"d already too. I really hope to never do that again. I have a real hard time with the slow thing. Old habits die hard. I have food just going down my throat as I'm chewing, and I'm not even swallowing yet.

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post-op, and can really eat alot of Soup and mushie stuff. My nutritionist said not to worry, It's about healing not losing, right now. But I don't want to gain. Is anyone really hungry still, and craving food, or is it just me. I guess I'm getting a litlle impatient maybe.

I also have another question, I have almost lost 40 lbs, yet my joints and knees are worse than ever. It feels like bone on bone. I am wondering if the fasting and not eating much depletes joints of Fluid ot something? Has anyone else experienced this, its very weird.

Hey Cloe

I too am hungry a lot! Way more than I thought I would be. But I don't seem to have any restrictions! I am trying to follow the soft foods that the doctor told me to but it is very hard! I haven't PB'd even though I have eaten more than my 1/2-1 cup of food. I'm not eating steak or french bread, but I have eaten spaghetti, popcorn chicken from KFC and rye toast without any problems. Not that I'm proud of that but I was hoping for some kind of restriction before my first fill which will be on the 19th. I am looking forward to that almost as much as I was for the actual surgery!!! So be thankful your body is telling you to stop, or that you've gone too far so that you can learn. Right now I'm at a stand still with my weight loss even though I'm exercising and have cut back on the amount of food I am eating. (Obviously still not enough!) I lost 13 before my surgery (5/18) and 13 since. And you are right about this being a time for healing, that's why they don't want us eating certain foods, because of the stress it puts on our stomachs.

Just checking in......after my bout with Pericarditis and 5 days in the hospital. Feeling a bit weak....but happy to be home and able to take a shower when I feel the need.....(life's little pleasures)

My lapband is doing great....in fact I can pretty much eat anything.....I just burp more than before.....yikes.

I pushed my fill date from june 19th to July 8th....to give my body a needed rest. Even though my heart wishes I kept the original appointment...but it was a wise move considering all the stress I have just been through.

I do miss drinking liquids while eating....that will be my challenge....I'm sure!!!

Well.....big hugs and smiles to my May bandsters......TTYL.....Diane : )

Well, It has been 21 days since my banding on May 24th 2006. I have weighed pre-op at 392lbs and at the gym at 370lbs. So, I have roughly lost 22lbs.

I have my first fill on July 11th 2006 and look forward to it. I have been able to begin eat real food, but doing my Protein first, veggies, then good food -- per my dietician/doctor.

Thanks!

Ron aka faugrad :clap2:

Banded 5/24/06 392lbs Dr Frank Veninga

6/08/06 370lbs

7/11/06 FIRST FILL - Will update then!

You've started the journey of a 1000 miles!

I keep looking long term.......I can't wait to see the 6 month point and where that puts me! I am a November B-day....so hopefully I'll be giving myself a nice gift!

You made 21 days so far......in 6 months it'll be another 160 days....(big smiles)

Keep up the good spirits.....attitude is half the battle.......and the other half...well....we know our weakness areas.....so hopefully, we will gather support and intervention from our fellow May bandsters here!

smiles to all.....Diane

Murphles ~ HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! :happybday:

Welcome Ev22 and congratulations on 20 lbs!! That's a great acomplishment.....keep up the good work and it's nice to have you part of this group!! :welcome:

faugrad ~ Great job on the 22 lbs!!! I bet you are feeling so great with the loss and working out at the gym. Don't stop now and keep on keeping on!! :)

:update:

My leg cramps have gone away since I added a small banana a day. Most of the time, I add it to my Protein shake and it makes it so yummy. Thanks for all the advice folks.....it's greatly appreciated!!

I had my post-op appt today and I've lost 12 lbs since surgery. I was a happy camper and the nurse thought I was glowing....no, I'm not pregnant.....Aunt Flo came for a visit after I got home. :tired I got the green light for solid foods so I will be slowly adding to my menu. I also have a problem with eating slowly. For me, that is harder than not drinking with a meal. I have to concentrate on what I'm doing or it goes down without much thought. I have some restriction so we are going to hold off on the first fill. If I get hungry after eating solids, I can go in for a fill if needed. I never expected restriction, but I'm pleased. NO, I'm THRILLED!!! I love my band!! :clap2: :dance:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the putting down the Welcome mat for me and making me so welcome in group of May bandsters. I am still doing good. I just can't wait till my next appointment so I can add more variety to what I'm eating. My doc said only mushy veggies, fish and cottage cheese for now and although I've gotten pretty creative, it's starting to wear a little on me. The other day I caught myself sucking on a Cheeto just to get the flavor in my mouth --:nervous

ThanKs again!